Forums/Armchair-GM

Overhaul

Created by: rbcf
Team: 2018-19 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 9, 2018
Published: Apr. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know this will never happen but I think this team would dominate. Basically 2 first lines and a 3rd line that would be a 2nd on most teams. Capable backup who could take over when Smith leaves. Defence is still really good. I just love the idea of Tavares with Gaudreau as that would be insane. Pulujarvi is interesting but big and has potential. Gallagher is small but playing with Monahan and Tkachuck would be great for him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,100,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$12,000,000
2$775,000
4$4,000,000
Trades
CGY
  1. 2019 1st round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Rights to Grubauer
WSH
  1. Brodie, TJ
  2. Kylington, Oliver
Additional Details:
Rights to Rittich
EDM
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. 2019 4th round pick (NYI)
CGY
    Future considerations.
    CGY
    1. 2019 7th round pick (FLA)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CGY
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$80,000,000$73,632,143$0$4,352,500$6,367,857

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $12,000,000$12,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,375,000$6,375,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $4,300,000$4,300,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $705,000$705,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    C
    UFA
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $710,000$710,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,375,000$3,375,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,857,143$3,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
    Sam Bennett doesn't get you poolparty especially since you're trading with the rivals
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 1:58 p.m.
    Quoting: Dylan1995
    Sam Bennett doesn't get you poolparty especially since you're trading with the rivals

Well both have not shown much and maybe a change of scenery for both will motivate them. Both have good potential and I really don't think it is out of the question. Plus I added a 4th round pick :P
    Eli liked this.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
    In Petey we trust
    Quoting: rbcf
    Well both have not shown much and maybe a change of scenery for both will motivate them. Both have good potential and I really don't think it is out of the question. Plus I added a 4th round pick :P

Quoting: Dylan1995

Except that Bennett has been in the Nhl for 3 years and Pulju has been in the NHL for one year. Oilers wouldn't accept that trade without another first, and Andersson.
    Canucks accept.
    Grubauer will want more money.
    I think you'll need to add more to the Grubauer trade, as I'm sure other teams will offer much more for Grubauer and not ask for a 1st aswell.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
    Quoting: t4tree
    Except that Bennett has been in the Nhl for 3 years and Pulju has been in the NHL for one year. Oilers wouldn't accept that trade without another first, and Andersson.
    Canucks accept.
    I think you'll need to add more to the Grubauer trade, as I'm sure other teams will offer much more for Grubauer and not ask for a 1st aswell.

Yeah I understand on the Pulujarvi trade. But even playing with McDavid, Pulu did not do much.... Bennett on the 3rd line has not been great but he has put up better numbers in his first and second full season so I still don't think its that far off. Grubauer trade is essentially a 1st for Brodie which he is worth more than that and Kylington (great prospect) and Rittich (meh) for Grubs rights. He is unproven as a starter and that scares me so I think 2.75/year is reasonable for a backup with potential. Plus without that 1st I don't think there is a way to get Gallagher..... Unless Flames use Fox which is not out of the question at this point but I really hope Fox eventually signs with the Flames.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Caps' only blue chip prospect in the AHL is a left handed defenseman, and they currently have five of them in the NHL. Trading two more for Grubauer seems like good value, but on Washington's side they end up with like ten guys for three spots. Are Kylington and Andersson roughly interchangeable?

Yeah I understand on the Pulujarvi trade. But even playing with McDavid, Pulu did not do much.... Bennett on the 3rd line has not been great but he has put up better numbers in his first and second full season so I still don't think its that far off. Grubauer trade is essentially a 1st for Brodie which he is worth more than that and Kylington (great prospect) and Rittich (meh) for Grubs rights. He is unproven as a starter and that scares me so I think 2.75/year is reasonable for a backup with potential. Plus without that 1st I don't think there is a way to get Gallagher..... Unless Flames use Fox which is not out of the question at this point but I really hope Fox eventually signs with the Flames.

I think Grubauer for Brodie is actually pretty fair. No one seems too shocked by Grubauer for Hanifin trades, and Brodie is more experienced, but with fewer points. Is Rittich going to do anything special in South Carolina?

If Vancouver passes on that salary dump, the Caps might consider a mutual dump with Orpik coming back to temporarily fill Brodie's minutes until Kylington moves up, and Brouwer returning to the place he played his best years. And if you throw in Gawdin, you get something back for him.

Other Grubauer to flames trades I've read on here, to get an idea of where other hockey fans are valuing him (and it's kind of all over the place because, you're right, he's brilliant but inexperienced... but he trained with Dave Prior for three years, so I'm confident he's ready to play goalie):

RagsandBluesFan posted Ferland and Lazar for Grubauer. People shrugged on both sides.
    I've suggested Andersson, Bennett, and Gawdin, and been shot down roundly by other Caps fans (even though I think depth at center and right D are areas the Caps should improve... obiously I get their point that if a Hanifin or a Brodie is available, then pushing Orpik from the top four down the depth chart, and maybe being able to trade him, can help make the Caps a bit faster, if a little less tough.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    Caps' only blue chip prospect in the AHL is a left handed defenseman, and they currently have five of them in the NHL. Trading two more for Grubauer seems like good value, but on Washington's side they end up with like ten guys for three spots. Are Kylington and Andersson roughly interchangeable?

I think Grubauer for Brodie is actually pretty fair. No one seems too shocked by Grubauer for Hanifin trades, and Brodie is more experienced, but with fewer points. Is Rittich going to do anything special in South Carolina?

If Vancouver passes on that salary dump, the Caps might consider a mutual dump with Orpik coming back to temporarily fill Brodie's minutes until Kylington moves up, and Brouwer returning to the place he played his best years. And if you throw in Gawdin, you get something back for him.

Other Grubauer to flames trades I've read on here, to get an idea of where other hockey fans are valuing him (and it's kind of all over the place because, you're right, he's brilliant but inexperienced... but he trained with Dave Prior for three years, so I'm confident he's ready to play goalie):

RagsandBluesFan posted Ferland and Lazar for Grubauer. People shrugged on both sides.
    I've suggested Andersson, Bennett, and Gawdin, and been shot down roundly by other Caps fans (even though I think depth at center and right D are areas the Caps should improve... obiously I get their point that if a Hanifin or a Brodie is available, then pushing Orpik from the top four down the depth chart, and maybe being able to trade him, can help make the Caps a bit faster, if a little less tough.

The thing with Brodie is that his natural position is a left handed shot right side defenceman. Since Calgary likes the stupid model of left shot left side right shot right side he has struggled playing his off position. For Washington who may lose Carlson to free agency this makes a great fit even if they do resign Carlson. Brodie can play top minutes in all situations but I feel he just does not work here due to the fact they are actaully playing on the wrong side. I really think that Brodie with worth a 1st, top prospect and 2nd or lower prospect. So essentiall trying to trade Brodie along with a top prospect and a ok backup for Grubauer and a 1st is not out of the question as at the end of the day you are getting a top 2 defenceman straight up for a first and then getting a top prospect and backup goalie for your backup that you can't really afford. I think its a win win for both teams.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:55 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli

Also, remember what Washinton paid for a couple months of Shattenkirk........ And lost him..... Brodie has 2 years left at a very reasonable rate.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
    Quoting: t4tree
    Canucks accept.

What about adding a conditional 1st round pick in 2019 if Pulu puts up 60+ points? But that would be negated if Bennett put up 60+ points.....??
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    The thing with Brodie is that his natural position is a left handed shot right side defenceman. Since Calgary likes the stupid model of left shot left side right shot right side he has struggled playing his off position. For Washington who may lose Carlson to free agency this makes a great fit even if they do resign Carlson. Brodie can play top minutes in all situations but I feel he just does not work here due to the fact they are actaully playing on the wrong side. I really think that Brodie with worth a 1st, top prospect and 2nd or lower prospect. So essentiall trying to trade Brodie along with a top prospect and a ok backup for Grubauer and a 1st is not out of the question as at the end of the day you are getting a top 2 defenceman straight up for a first and then getting a top prospect and backup goalie for your backup that you can't really afford. I think its a win win for both teams.

Trotz has the same idea about everybody playing on their strong side except rookies and injury replacements. Try Vegas. Everybody's on backwards over there, and they're getting a lot of points that way.

Also, remember what Washinton paid for a couple months of Shattenkirk........ And lost him..... Brodie has 2 years left at a very reasonable rate.

Lemme see if I follow your logic: I once spent 14 grand on a new car that was fuel efficient and reliable, and didn't particularly impress my girlfriend at the time. Does this mean if I see a slower, more fuel-efficient, more reliable car, for 28 grand, I should get excited?
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    The Caps had two of the top ten scoring rookie defensemen through the trade deadline, when they traded for two more left shot defensemen who are a bit more defensively sound. That gives them plenty of options on defense. They need to trade Brooks Orpik away for capspace to sign Carlson, and maybe trade Grubauer away for a first pick and more cap space to sign Wilson. They need picks to keep building, just like Calgary does, after both teams traded some away.

Look at some Caps teams if you want Grubuaer. See what people are adding. See what people are trading Grubauer for. Talk to some other Caps fans about it. Good luck!

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll