Forums/Armchair-GM

Holtby Gone

Created by: Mac_Attack
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2018
Published: Apr. 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Holtby were to get traded this is the most likey trade based on teams cap space and the return.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,500,000
4$3,500,000
3$950,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,750,000
3$1,750,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Condon, Mike
  2. Hoffman, Mike ($1,296,875 retained)
  3. Smith, Zack
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (OTT)
  5. 2020 3rd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Holtby, Braden
  2. Smith-Pelly, Devante
  3. 2019 4th round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. 2019 4th round pick (DAL)
DAL
  1. Orpik, Brooks ($1,100,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$80,000,000$71,164,920$82,500$600,000$8,835,080
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,890,625$3,890,625
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
RD
UFA - 8
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,400,000$2,400,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:23 a.m.
Tietaja
where is Samsonov?
Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:23 a.m.
GoCanada
playoffs gone
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:31 a.m.
Who adds what?
Hoffman is very good, but Vrana or Burakovsky should keep developing and be as good as him next year.

I understand that Ottawa might not need Holtby as much as it needs Duchene or Karlsson, but those are the Sens I could see Washington targeting in a Holtby trade. And Smith-Pelly is doing really well in the playoffs. What if the Caps throw in Brett Connolly, instead? If Ottawa doesn't want Holtby that much, make it a three way trade with a team that does.

Trading Holtby doesn't necessarily mean:
Quoting: jassan28
playoffs gone
but trading Holtby for a slightly faster 2nd line winger does mean
playoffs gone
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:34 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Tietaja
where is Samsonov?

Starting 60 games in Hershey and winning the Calder Cup.

But is Condon's slightly greater experience worth the extra 2M cap hit over Copley? No. This build seems to think Holtby is getting the axe after four straight 30 win seasons, or that Washington needs a left wing. I'm not sure which is more ridiculous.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:41 a.m.
No way that Ottawa trade happens, at all. Hoffman is one of their key players. No way that they trade him for a position that they do not really need (starting goalie). No way that they retain salary, pretty much period (they are more interested in cutting salary as opposed to retaining). Smith-Pelly is a dime-a-dozen RFA, no need to trade for him as there will be 20 of him available 7/1.

Remove the Hoffman retained salary and add 50% retained on Holtby and Ottawa might not hang up right away.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:27 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: biglite351
No way that Ottawa trade happens, at all. Hoffman is one of their key players. No way that they trade him for a position that they do not really need (starting goalie). No way that they retain salary, pretty much period (they are more interested in cutting salary as opposed to retaining). Smith-Pelly is a dime-a-dozen RFA, no need to trade for him as there will be 20 of him available 7/1.

Remove the Hoffman retained salary and add 50% retained on Holtby and Ottawa might not hang up right away.

Yep. It's a doublenope. Neither team is improved by this deal and each loses someone they really don't want to lose.

DSP has 10 points in 28 career playoff games, though, including two in four this year at 25 (the other opportunities were at 23 and under). Mike Hoffman is a point every other playoff game kinda winger, based on playoff games only at ages 26 and 27. Now he's 28. Smith-Pelly in a small sample size is a point every other playoff game winger at 25, and might keep improving next year and the year after that.

So he's not a throw in for Hoffman. He's the trade.

Bye.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 11:04 a.m.
Your over overvaluation of Caps player's worth never ceases to amaze me. It's almost like the old "All of our worst players for all of your best players" but you don't even realize it because you actually think that they are that good. Are there any players on that roster that you don't think are stars?

DSP is an NHLer, that is for sure, but that's about all that you can say about him. If DSP is "the trade" then it is for a 4th or 5th round pick. He is a 25 year old on his 4th NHL team for a reason. He was bought out by New Jersey for a reason. He is currently on his lowest salary contract ever for a reason. None of those are because he is a "the trade" level of player.

Hoffman would make every team better if he went to it.
Holtby would make every team better if he went to it. However, many teams already have a starting goalie so they simply would not pay the trade price for him.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: Tietaja
where is Samsonov?

Idk he isn't on this I believe
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.
playoffs gone

How is the playoffs gone? Wsh made the playoffs this year with Holtby having terrible stats. They made it cause they had the offence to cover for that. By doing this trade they are increasing their offence. Im not saying Holtby is gonna get traded, ppl have just been talking about it so i decided to see the best trade for him.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Starting 60 games in Hershey and winning the Calder Cup.

But is Condon's slightly greater experience worth the extra 2M cap hit over Copley? No. This build seems to think Holtby is getting the axe after four straight 30 win seasons, or that Washington needs a left wing. I'm not sure which is more ridiculous.

I got condon just as a backup because based off this year when Holtby did bad Grubauer came in and helped out with great stats. I would want the same for when grubauer does bad and copley hasnt done well enough to be in the nhl. But that doesnt mean he wont during the season and if he does wsh can just flip Condon to another team for a pick.

I personally wouldn't trade Holtby I have the same arguement as you that Holtby hasn't been wsh problems but my friend thinks if wsh doesnt win the cup this year they should make a big move in trading holtby so i decided to make the most possible trade. Ottawa is a team that needs a starting goalie forsure and they also were going to trade hoffman at this years deadline. Wsh doesnt need a lw but they certainly need depth and by adding hoffman thats what they are getting.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.

Wow, first off do you even follow the nhl? Ottawa is trying to rebuild. Hoffman was already being talked about being traded at this years deadline. Even Karlsson was close to being traded. Ottawa does need a ELITE goalie, Holtby is more than just a starter. Anderson is not good enough and is getting old. for a team trying to rebuild thats not ur goalie of the future. I retained hoffman contract because he only has 2 years left and because ottawa is rebuilding they are going to have a lot of cap left over for the next few years. Why would i retain holtby contract he makes 6 mill which is not even a lot for an ELITE goalie and he makes way more than 2 years. Ottawa was trying to trade Karlsson at the draft for prospects to help in the future and picks which none of them were a defence man in return so the facct u think ottawa would hang up the phone when they have a chance of getting a head start on that rebuild is beyond me. And just to clear it up if i was wsh i wouldnt trade holtby but my friend says is wsh doesnt win the cup this year they should make a big move in trading holtby so i decided to do this.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.
Yep. It's a doublenope. Neither team is improved by this deal and each loses someone they really don't want to lose.

DSP has 10 points in 28 career playoff games, though, including two in four this year at 25 (the other opportunities were at 23 and under). Mike Hoffman is a point every other playoff game kinda winger, based on playoff games only at ages 26 and 27. Now he's 28. Smith-Pelly in a small sample size is a point every other playoff game winger at 25, and might keep improving next year and the year after that.

So he's not a throw in for Hoffman. He's the trade.

Bye.

Ottawa was already trying to trade hoffman at the deadline so its not like ottawa doesnt want to trade him. DSP hasnt been great but hes young which is what ottawa is looking for. you said each team loses but they dont. Ottawa gets an Elite goalie for their future and wsh gets depth which is the reason why every year they cant make it past the second round in the playoffs cause they have no depth right now. Ottawa getting holtby is a huge head start on their rebuild because no matter how many young start forward u have ur not gonna win if u dont have that great goalie. look at buffalo for example they have so many young stars yet still finished last in the nhl cause they dont have that elite goalie.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Your over overvaluation of Caps player's worth never ceases to amaze me. It's almost like the old "All of our worst players for all of your best players" but you don't even realize it because you actually think that they are that good. Are there any players on that roster that you don't think are stars?

DSP is an NHLer, that is for sure, but that's about all that you can say about him. If DSP is "the trade" then it is for a 4th or 5th round pick. He is a 25 year old on his 4th NHL team for a reason. He was bought out by New Jersey for a reason. He is currently on his lowest salary contract ever for a reason. None of those are because he is a "the trade" level of player.

Hoffman would make every team better if he went to it.
Holtby would make every team better if he went to it. However, many teams already have a starting goalie so they simply would not pay the trade price for him.

You say "all our worst players for your all your best" but holtby is the best player in the whole trade. and then u say many teams already have a starting goalie well im not trading to many teams, im trading to ottawa who has anderson who hasnt been great, is getting old and ottawa is trying to rebuild. DSP wasnt supposed to be the guy that ottawa gets back for hoffman i just threw him in there cause capitals were over cap space and even if dsp hasnt doen much yet he is still young and thats what ottawa wants. U guys talk like hoffman name hasnt already come up in trade talks this season. his name was at the top for players available at the deadline along with karlsson. Ottawa had that team and finished bottom 5 in the league this season. Hence the reason they are trying to rebuild. And no team is ever going to win a cup in this age with out a star goalie and Holtby is just that. And also im not even a wsh fan so im not even biased on holtby. Im a pens fan so i hate the caps.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: Mac_Attack
Wow, first off do you even follow the nhl? Ottawa is trying to rebuild. Hoffman was already being talked about being traded at this years deadline. Even Karlsson was close to being traded. Ottawa does need a ELITE goalie, Holtby is more than just a starter. Anderson is not good enough and is getting old. for a team trying to rebuild thats not ur goalie of the future. I retained hoffman contract because he only has 2 years left and because ottawa is rebuilding they are going to have a lot of cap left over for the next few years. Why would i retain holtby contract he makes 6 mill which is not even a lot for an ELITE goalie and he makes way more than 2 years. Ottawa was trying to trade Karlsson at the draft for prospects to help in the future and picks which none of them were a defence man in return so the facct u think ottawa would hang up the phone when they have a chance of getting a head start on that rebuild is beyond me. And just to clear it up if i was wsh i wouldnt trade holtby but my friend says is wsh doesnt win the cup this year they should make a big move in trading holtby so i decided to do this.

I do follow the NHL. Do you? Do you follow Ottawa at all? Like AT ALL? They are not going to retain salary. Period. Holtby retention (as opposed to the Ottawa retention) would be necessary because Ottawa wants less salary, LESS, and they are not going to want to pay nearly $11M for goaltending.

Reading comprehension much? I never said that they would not trade Hoffman, I said that they would not trade him for a position that they do not need. Those are not the same thing, at all. And the certainly wont trade Hoffman for a position that they do not need AND retain salary. They just extended Anderson and are not going to bring in a replacement, even such ELITE ones that you are getting rid of him. If you are going to move Holtby somewhere, make it a team that is actually looking for goaltending. Buffalo for example. Philly. A place that didn't just give their starter a raise in an extension.

What part of your "not a one of them was a defensemen in return" comment has anything to do with Ottawa in rebuild mode? Makes no sense.

Your comment on Holtby "...he makes way more than 2 years"... what? He is signed for 2 years past this one, same as Hoffman. Did you look at any information on the players before posting what your friend said?
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:10 p.m.
You say "all our worst players for your all your best" but holtby is the best player in the whole trade. and then u say many teams already have a starting goalie well im not trading to many teams, im trading to ottawa who has anderson who hasnt been great, is getting old and ottawa is trying to rebuild. DSP wasnt supposed to be the guy that ottawa gets back for hoffman i just threw him in there cause capitals were over cap space and even if dsp hasnt doen much yet he is still young and thats what ottawa wants. U guys talk like hoffman name hasnt already come up in trade talks this season. his name was at the top for players available at the deadline along with karlsson. Ottawa had that team and finished bottom 5 in the league this season. Hence the reason they are trying to rebuild. And no team is ever going to win a cup in this age with out a star goalie and Holtby is just that. And also im not even a wsh fan so im not even biased on holtby. Im a pens fan so i hate the caps.

That post was in response to Eli, I didn't hit "quote", I just replied.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:16 p.m.
Who adds what?
Ottawa was already trying to trade hoffman at the deadline so its not like ottawa doesnt want to trade him. DSP hasnt been great but hes young which is what ottawa is looking for. you said each team loses but they dont. Ottawa gets an Elite goalie for their future and wsh gets depth which is the reason why every year they cant make it past the second round in the playoffs cause they have no depth right now. Ottawa getting holtby is a huge head start on their rebuild because no matter how many young start forward u have ur not gonna win if u dont have that great goalie. look at buffalo for example they have so many young stars yet still finished last in the nhl cause they dont have that elite goalie.

They like their goalies. I have heard nothing but good things about them. So I assume they need to shore up the defense to get full value out of any goalie.

You're talking about playoff scoring depth and trading for Hoffman based one a point every other game in the palyoffs, as a 26 and 27 year old.

Most goal scorers (like Hoffman and Smith-Pelly) peak at age 27. They improve up to about that point, and they get a little worse each year after that. Hoffman at 28 is likely just over the hill to where he'll have to start training like Chara if he wants to maintain his current scoring pace. Smith-Pelly, in a small sample size this Spring, is as good as Hoffman, at less than a 6th of the cap hit. And he's three years younger, still trending upward. I wouldn't trade them straight up.

Holtby has the 2nd all time playoff save percentage, and is doing well against Columbus where Grubauer didn't. He's a big game player and the Caps need him to get any further than they have, or they need to get an even better superstar back to make up for losing him. Hoffman makes up for losing Smith-Pelly, this year, but next year he'll be a little worse. Condon doesn't make up for losing Holtby, yet, so the Caps have lost this trade on the ice.

You've also invested all available cap space in a fourth line center you have to buy out right away because he was -32 with 5 goals this year. Please try again?
Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
They like their goalies. I have heard nothing but good things about them. So I assume they need to shore up the defense to get full value out of any goalie.

You're talking about playoff scoring depth and trading for Hoffman based one a point every other game in the palyoffs, as a 26 and 27 year old.

Most goal scorers (like Hoffman and Smith-Pelly) peak at age 27. They improve up to about that point, and they get a little worse each year after that. Hoffman at 28 is likely just over the hill to where he'll have to start training like Chara if he wants to maintain his current scoring pace. Smith-Pelly, in a small sample size this Spring, is as good as Hoffman, at less than a 6th of the cap hit. And he's three years younger, still trending upward. I wouldn't trade them straight up.

Holtby has the 2nd all time playoff save percentage, and is doing well against Columbus where Grubauer didn't. He's a big game player and the Caps need him to get any further than they have, or they need to get an even better superstar back to make up for losing him. Hoffman makes up for losing Smith-Pelly, this year, but next year he'll be a little worse. Condon doesn't make up for losing Holtby, yet, so the Caps have lost this trade on the ice.

You've also invested all available cap space in a fourth line center you have to buy out right away because he was -32 with 5 goals this year. Please try again?

In regards to the fourth line center hes -32 cause hes on an ass team. put him on a good team and he will produce. look at last year when ottawa was good and made it all the way to the est finals. He had 32 points and was a plus 6. This year he played on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Wsh is one of the best teams in the nhl.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
I do follow the NHL. Do you? Do you follow Ottawa at all? Like AT ALL? They are not going to retain salary. Period. Holtby retention (as opposed to the Ottawa retention) would be necessary because Ottawa wants less salary, LESS, and they are not going to want to pay nearly $11M for goaltending.

Reading comprehension much? I never said that they would not trade Hoffman, I said that they would not trade him for a position that they do not need. Those are not the same thing, at all. And the certainly wont trade Hoffman for a position that they do not need AND retain salary. They just extended Anderson and are not going to bring in a replacement, even such ELITE ones that you are getting rid of him. If you are going to move Holtby somewhere, make it a team that is actually looking for goaltending. Buffalo for example. Philly. A place that didn't just give their starter a raise in an extension.

What part of your "not a one of them was a defensemen in return" comment has anything to do with Ottawa in rebuild mode? Makes no sense.

Your comment on Holtby "...he makes way more than 2 years"... what? He is signed for 2 years past this one, same as Hoffman. Did you look at any information on the players before posting what your friend said?

I do follow the NHL. The Senators, not so much, (they trash) but i still follow any big news from them etc.

And a position they do not need? for a team thats rebuilding im sure a 36 year old goalie is what they need right? When they re-signed anderson obviously its cause they wouldnt expect a Holtby to be available (not saying he is just for this scenario) and if that was the case they wouldnt have re-signed anderson. and yes i made a mistake when looking at holtby contract it is 2 years but that is perfect because andersons new contract is also 2years. Ottawa is not gonna be a playoff team for the next two years they are going to be a developing team. Developing teams have a bunch of cap space spare each season. so for the next two season they will have a lot of cap space to and can afford to have both anderson and holtby and once the two years is over they dont need to sign anderson. If this was last years ottawa senator of course they wouldnt want to trade hoffman and retain salary. but they are not last years ottawa senators. Also u are so big on ottawa not wanting to retain salary when they retained 1.75 mill on phaneufs contract who still has three years left after this year ( like I said i follow big news on senators).

I actually did look at philly and buffalo as teams to trade along with every team in the nhl but buffalo has nothing wsh would want, niether does philly. If wsh was going to trade Holtby its obviously to aquire another star/depth other wise why trade him. Buffalo has no star that would really make sense for them to trade and philly stars r expensive and long term.

Once again I wouldnt trade Holtby but if he were to get traded this makes a lot of sense. The fact u think a 36 year old goalie is ottawa's future goalie is a joke. He had terrible stats this year and is only going to get better. And hes 36 hes most likely going to retire soon. Then what does ottawa do for a goalie? U say a position they dont need well clearly ur not looking into the future. They have filip gustavsson that pens traded to sens but hes still only 19 he wont be ready soon and theres not guarentee he will be great either where as with Holtby ur guarenteed a starting/elite goalie for years to come.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll