SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

It's painful but should help in the long run.

Created by: DirtyDangles
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 10, 2018
Published: May 10, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Buyouts hurt but shouldn't put EDM in cap trouble.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,500,000
8$4,500,000
5$3,000,000
3$1,250,000
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Pacioretty, Max
  2. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
If Patches re-signs the 1st reverts back to MTL
MTL
  1. Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
  2. 2019 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$78,000,000$74,138,108$0$2,932,500$3,861,892
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$808,333$808,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 10, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
some cheap seafood
I try to be positive about most things in life but I am quiet tired of people wanting to trade RNH for Paches, it makes no sense.

RNH is younger, is a center (and can play wing) and had more points than Paches this year. He showed terrific chemistry with McDavid at the end of the year. Paches is getting to the age where his play declines, and he's already showing it. If you're going to trade RNH trade for a right handed puck moving d-man.
May 10, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: twodollarlobster
I try to be positive about most things in life but I am quiet tired of people wanting to trade RNH for Paches, it makes no sense.

RNH is younger, is a center (and can play wing) and had more points than Paches this year. He showed terrific chemistry with McDavid at the end of the year. Paches is getting to the age where his play declines, and he's already showing it. If you're going to trade RNH trade for a right handed puck moving d-man.

I try to be positive but when people claim that 1 bad year means the guy is now awful it bugs me. You are also getting a 1st round pick if Patches doesn't work out and that could be a decent pick the way MTL looks. Isn't Bear supposed to be a puck moving D man? Why would you trade for a RHD when if all you want is a Mike Green guy and can sign him as a UFA?
CFMan and TheDuminator liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: DirtyDangles
I try to be positive but when people claim that 1 bad year means the guy is now awful it bugs me. You are also getting a 1st round pick if Patches doesn't work out and that could be a decent pick the way MTL looks. Isn't Bear supposed to be a puck moving D man? Why would you trade for a RHD when if all you want is a Mike Green guy and can sign him as a UFA?

Put Sekera going to MTL as a cap dump instead of buy him out... it will balance out for the age difference of RNH vs Pacc... and anyway MTL need a LHD!
May 10, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan

It makes sense because it fills both teams needs. Montreal needs a center in RNH and Mcdavid needs a speedy scoring winger in Patches. EDM has Mcdavid and Drai as their top 2 and RNH shouldn't be a third line center. Even if RNH was playing with Mcdavid towards the end he is NOT a prolific goal scorer like Patches who has scored 30+ goals multiple seasons.
May 10, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DomCholette
Put Sekera going to MTL as a cap dump instead of buy him out... it will balance out for the age difference of RNH vs Pacc... and anyway MTL need a LHD!

Problem is Sekera has an NMC and may decline a trade to MTL.
May 10, 2018 at 3:30 p.m.
some cheap seafood

Only if he doesn't resign. If he resigns then it's pretty much a straight 1 for 1 which is uneven. Bear isn't there yet and I hope they don't rush him the way they did Schultz. You want to capitalize on McDavid now while you can.
May 10, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
Subbanator
I wouldn’t even send a first with Pacioretty. RNH hasn’t passed 50 points in the last 3 seasons and only got close this year because he was out with McDavid. They can’t play him as a third line C so it makes sense to trade him for a winger but whatever team trades for him has to realize what they are getting. He is a 2C at best and hasn’t shown he can handle top line responsibilies unless he is sheltered with better players.

Paciohas shown the opposite, he has carried the majority of Montreal’s offence without ever having a real center. The back lash would come when half way through the season Pacioretty is scoring goal after goal on Mcdavids wing and RNH is failing as a center in Montreal.

Trading Pacioretty should be for a young center and a pick or a package for a established center. Can’t send him to a team for a player that your going to throw into a role that you hope he can step up to succeed in.
May 10, 2018 at 3:39 p.m.
HabsFan
Problem is Sekera has an NMC and may decline a trade to MTL.

that or Buyout... any pro's would accept to avoid going in the minor or home!
May 10, 2018 at 3:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Subbanator7667
I wouldn’t even send a first with Pacioretty. RNH hasn’t passed 50 points in the last 3 seasons and only got close this year because he was out with McDavid. They can’t play him as a third line C so it makes sense to trade him for a winger but whatever team trades for him has to realize what they are getting. He is a 2C at best and hasn’t shown he can handle top line responsibilies unless he is sheltered with better players.

Paciohas shown the opposite, he has carried the majority of Montreal’s offence without ever having a real center. The back lash would come when half way through the season Pacioretty is scoring goal after goal on Mcdavids wing and RNH is failing as a center in Montreal.

Trading Pacioretty should be for a young center and a pick or a package for a established center. Can’t send him to a team for a player that your going to throw into a role that you hope he can step up to succeed in.

RNH is still only 25 and MTL needs all the C help they can get. You have to take age and term into consideration. If Patches doesn't resign then the Oilers would be giving RNH away for free, now does that make sense?

Only if he doesn't resign. If he resigns then it's pretty much a straight 1 for 1 which is uneven. Bear isn't there yet and I hope they don't rush him the way they did Schultz. You want to capitalize on McDavid now while you can.

Yes only if he doesn't resign...if he has another down year (unlikely playing with McDavid) then you let him walk and take the 1st. This makes complete sense, I am not sure what you aren't getting.
May 10, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Banned
that or Buyout... any pro's would accept to avoid going in the minor or home!

If he is still any good why wouldn't he want to get bought out? He still gets paid and can now sign a new deal and make possibly more money than he was already making.
May 10, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
HabsFan
If he is still any good why wouldn't he want to get bought out? He still gets paid and can now sign a new deal and make possibly more money than he was already making.

fair enough... but it hurts less to accept a trade than a buyout... even if you can go anywhere for an extra million!
May 10, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
Banned
fair enough... but it hurts less to accept a trade than a buyout... even if you can go anywhere for an extra million!

Hey a trade would be much more beneficial to the team than a buyout, I am just saying if he gets bought out he could end up being paid more than his current $5.5 salary
May 10, 2018 at 3:52 p.m.
Subbanator
RNH is still only 25 and MTL needs all the C help they can get. You have to take age and term into consideration. If Patches doesn't resign then the Oilers would be giving RNH away for free, now does that make sense?

Yes only if he doesn't resign...if he has another down year (unlikely playing with McDavid) then you let him walk and take the 1st. This makes complete sense, I am not sure what you aren't getting.

Just because they are desperate at center doesn’t mean they make a panic move and trade one of the leagues best goal scorers for a center who isn’t a going to be able to handle top line responsibilities.

Like I said you trade one for one and your getting an actually elite winger even if it’s only for a year, Pacioretty on Mcdavids wing probably ends up with 70 points that year. RNH coming to Montreal doesn’t put the team into the playoffs and just gets us another center to criticize and destroy the confidence of.
May 10, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.
Banned
Just because they are desperate at center doesn’t mean they make a panic move and trade one of the leagues best goal scorers for a center who isn’t a going to be able to handle top line responsibilities.

Like I said you trade one for one and your getting an actually elite winger even if it’s only for a year, Pacioretty on Mcdavids wing probably ends up with 70 points that year. RNH coming to Montreal doesn’t put the team into the playoffs and just gets us another center to criticize and destroy the confidence of.

So basically unless you get Tavares, MTL will have zero centers that can/should really even be a 2C so how does having RNH not make sense? Sure he may not be a #1 but at least you are building something down the middle. I would say Patches is a very good winger but not elite. Elite players end up in the hall of fame, I don't see Patches getting there as of now.
May 10, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
I would love to see Pacioretty on McDavids wing it would be absolutely incredible to watch.
What I don't want to see if RNH getting destroyed by fans and media in Montreal when we still suck next year.

I would give more to EDM and try to get Draisaitl if possible. He is young enough to stick with us through an inevitable rebuild.
May 10, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: PigVomit
I would love to see Pacioretty on McDavids wing it would be absolutely incredible to watch.
What I don't want to see if RNH getting destroyed by fans and media in Montreal when we still suck next year.

I would give more to EDM and try to get Draisaitl if possible. He is young enough to stick with us through an inevitable rebuild.

I don't see EDM even considering moving Draisaitl. A McDavid/Draisaitl 1-2 punch down the middle is how championship teams are built. Unless you are Chiarelli laughlaughlaugh
May 10, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
Subbanator
So basically unless you get Tavares, MTL will have zero centers that can/should really even be a 2C so how does having RNH not make sense? Sure he may not be a #1 but at least you are building something down the middle. I would say Patches is a very good winger but not elite. Elite players end up in the hall of fame, I don't see Patches getting there as of now.

If it included our first round pick next year I would rather wait. That pick would end up bejngn a top 10 pick and not work out well for MTL. You and me have different definitions of elite, superstars get into the hall of fame, elite is just if their in the upper echelon of their positions, which Pacioretty is. You look at left wingers around the league and compare his numbers from the past 5 years and he is considered elite, one down year doesn’t take away the fact that Pacioretty has had five 30 goal seasons in the past 7 years, one of those years being the lockout. RNH has barely produced at a 2C level for the past three years and he wasn’t even playing center this last year when he had his best season in a while. One for one I think it’s a trade MTL has to seriously consider but add anything else into and I think it would be a paniced over payment
May 10, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
I don't see EDM even considering moving Draisaitl. A McDavid/Draisaitl 1-2 punch down the middle is how championship teams are built. Unless you are Chiarelli laughlaughlaugh

Well I hope he's got 1 more really bad trade left in him and hopefully he can make it by trading Draisaitl to Montreal... smile
May 10, 2018 at 4:21 p.m.
Banned
If it included our first round pick next year I would rather wait. That pick would end up bejngn a top 10 pick and not work out well for MTL. You and me have different definitions of elite, superstars get into the hall of fame, elite is just if their in the upper echelon of their positions, which Pacioretty is. You look at left wingers around the league and compare his numbers from the past 5 years and he is considered elite, one down year doesn’t take away the fact that Pacioretty has had five 30 goal seasons in the past 7 years, one of those years being the lockout. RNH has barely produced at a 2C level for the past three years and he wasn’t even playing center this last year when he had his best season in a while. One for one I think it’s a trade MTL has to seriously consider but add anything else into and I think it would be a paniced over payment

You know it is a 2020 1st not next years right? I don't think you are understanding the conditions here...you only give up the first if Pacioretty DOESN'T resign. Guess what if he doesn't resign you can go get him in FA and then all you have done is given up 1 1st for RNH and got a 4th to boot. RNH has progress over the last 2 years and has shown that he is figuring out this league. At 25 he has many more "prime" years left than Pacioretty who will be 30 in Nov.
vinnylou liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 4:21 p.m.
I don't think I'd move RNH for paches not saying paches idnt good enough I just liked the fact RNH is younger xan play wing and if one of drai or McDavid gets hurt he can slot into centre ri valuable to the oil to move jo
May 10, 2018 at 4:24 p.m.
Vinnylou

Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha what an absolute joke. Please don't tell me you honestly believe that? Also, look at draisaitls last 17 games away from mcdavid. He was putting up the same point totals when your Winger is lucic and the other one is trying to learn English, a new country and a different way of hockey!! So Philly might as well trade away giroux since he was putting up numbers as a centre. Luckily they put him to the wing and look how he faired since. So just bc he had a couple of bad seasons, not being the strongest centre in a tougher division doesn't mean you should hate on rnh. Patches o hoolahan isn't getting younger or any better. What I can say is at least Nuge is trending in the right direction as a winger. I'll keep him, who is younger and has room to grow. Not getting old and on the decline!
May 10, 2018 at 4:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Dylan1995
I don't think I'd move RNH for paches not saying paches idnt good enough I just liked the fact RNH is younger xan play wing and if one of drai or McDavid gets hurt he can slot into centre ri valuable to the oil to move jo

I just think McDavid deserves an actual scorer on his wing instead of a bunch of plugs.
May 10, 2018 at 4:41 p.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: vinnylou
Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha what an absolute joke. Please don't tell me you honestly believe that? Also, look at draisaitls last 17 games away from mcdavid. He was putting up the same point totals when your Winger is lucic and the other one is trying to learn English, a new country and a different way of hockey!! So Philly might as well trade away giroux since he was putting up numbers as a centre. Luckily they put him to the wing and look how he faired since. So just bc he had a couple of bad seasons, not being the strongest centre in a tougher division doesn't mean you should hate on rnh. Patches o hoolahan isn't getting younger or any better. What I can say is at least Nuge is trending in the right direction as a winger. I'll keep him, who is younger and has room to grow. Not getting old and on the decline!

I have no idea why your being up Draisaitl and him putting up points so I’ll just ignore that. Let’s just look at who is better RNH or Pacioretty, just about every stat will tell you Pacioretty. Yes he had a down year filled with injuries and a whole team that was down across the board, but the year before that he put up 60+ points with Danault as his center. RNH has never touched 60 points and the only way he does is on the same line as the best player in the league. Now what happens when you take a guy who gets 60 points with what’s basically a third line center and put him with a center who can make even the most average player get 50 points? You get a duo who could put up 170+ points together. As a bonus Pacioretty will also play on your top penalty kill and be positive in the defensive end.
May 10, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
Banned
I have no idea why your being up Draisaitl and him putting up points so I’ll just ignore that. Let’s just look at who is better RNH or Pacioretty, just about every stat will tell you Pacioretty. Yes he had a down year filled with injuries and a whole team that was down across the board, but the year before that he put up 60+ points with Danault as his center. RNH has never touched 60 points and the only way he does is on the same line as the best player in the league. Now what happens when you take a guy who gets 60 points with what’s basically a third line center and put him with a center who can make even the most average player get 50 points? You get a duo who could put up 170+ points together. As a bonus Pacioretty will also play on your top penalty kill and be positive in the defensive end.

Guessing what he might put up in EDM is just not how trade evaluation works. Centers are worth more than wingers but in this deal you are getting an extra pick with the 2C. It is more than a fair deal and I can't wrap my head around how you think you will get anything better than that for him. Patches WILL NOT get you a 1C from any team.
Dylan1995 liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 4:48 p.m.

Love how you keep saying third line centre? Yeah on our team on yours he would be your best centre for the last 6 years ? Why would we trade rnh for paches wben RNH and McDavid are building chemistry. We had a sniper in eberle and he didn't mesh well with McDavid so who Is to say paches is gonna perform well with McDavid. Why would we give up stability and chemistry for a maybe? I could also trade klefbom for Hoffman soooo

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll