Forums/Armchair-GM

Life after JT... suggestions and input welcome

Created by: mmobley
Team: 2018-19 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: May 26, 2018
Published: May 26, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In the event that Tavares decided to play elsewhere.

----Richardson is a very valuable 4th line C. Solid PK player, good leader and has Cup experience. Had very good Corsi numbers for playing on a bad team and playing against most top lines in the NHL. Also has one of the highest DZ start %'s in the NHL. Lots of value there.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$2,000,000
5$6,000,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
PHI
  1. 2018 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
    Rights to RFA Mark Stone
    OTT
    1. Bailey, Josh ($1,250,000 retained)
    2. 2018 1st round pick (CGY)
    Additional Details:
    Trade give OTT a solid roster player in Bailey. OTT would have to spend close to $6 million to sign Stone and OTT's owner is notoriously cheap. NYI retaining 25% of Bailey's salary increases the trade value. Also gives OTT three 1st round picks in the 2018 draft. Trade has good value for a team in OTT's current position.
    BUF
    1. Ho-Sang, Joshua
    2. 2018 3rd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    Rights to RFA Brock Nelson

BUF get some cap relief by moving O'Reilly, a solid-3rd line C in Nelson that they can use behind Mittelstadt. Also get solid prospect in Ho-Sang. Moving O'Reilly gives both parties an ability to have a fresh start.
    NYI
      Rights to RFA Philipp Grubauer
      WSH
      1. Greiss, Thomas ($833,333 retained)
      2. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$78,000,000$61,599,166$0$2,995,000$16,400,834
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,875,000$1,875,000
      C
      UFA - 5
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW
      NTC
      UFA - 5
      $3,350,000$3,350,000
      C
      UFA - 3
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RW
      UFA - 4
      $850,000$850,000
      LW
      UFA
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,200,000$2M)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $1,600,000$1,600,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $770,000$770,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $1,450,000$1,450,000
      RD
      UFA - 5
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      G
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 26, 2018 at 4:44 p.m.
      Well I can say that you will not have ROR on your team if all you are sending to the Sabres is Ho-Sang (who I really like but I know that Snowy is not a fan.... my guess is Sweet Lou will not pick this Hill to Die on) and the rights to Brock.

I think you are going to have to pay Grubs more than $2,000,000 & no way Washington will want Greiss back in a deal since he counts $3,333,333 against the cap.
      May 26, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
      mmobley
      Quoting: wagsnags
      Well I can say that you will not have ROR on your team if all you are sending to the Sabres is Ho-Sang (who I really like but I know that Snowy is not a fan.... my guess is Sweet Lou will not pick this Hill to Die on) and the rights to Brock.

I think you are going to have to pay Grubs more than $2,000,000 & no way Washington will want Greiss back in a deal since he counts $3,333,333 against the cap.

Thanks for the response.

I think maybe a third round pick could be included into the ROR trade. But why do you think Ho-Sang, Nelson and a third round pick, isn't a high enough value to carry out the trade? Moving ROR gives BUF significant cap relief, getting Neslon gives them 3rd line C that gives the team strong secondary scoring and help in the DZ/PK, and Ho-Sang has tons of skill and potential-BUF would be a good team for him to be able to play a bigger role with less restrictions or fear of being demoted to the minors to see what he's really going to be at the NHL level.

Greiss only has two more years on his contract. Having him on the roster gives Samsinov time to play in the AHL for a year and get used to NA game. Moving Grubauer gives WSH a good back up, would have to pay Grubauer about the same to keep him, maybe more. NYI can get away with playing him $2 million on one-year deal because he is still an unproven starter. This would be a situation for him to be able to prove his worth and earn a bigger contact. Raanta had to do the same thing in ARI this season and had comparable numbers to Grubauer, as an unproven starter/great number 2.

Let me know what you think, agree or disagree. Would like to hear more of your input. Thanks!
      May 26, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
      I like Eich
      I see what you’re saying about Oreilly and Buffalos cap relief, but his value to Buffalo is wirth much more than a 3C and a disgruntled prospect with upside I won’t lie. Buffalo would probably want another high end piece to make this worth their while and I think that would be one of your 1st Round Picks with maybe a middling Pick/prospect coming back to Islanders too. I’ve seen lots of mocks of Isles taking Joe Veleno with 11 or 12 so you’re really speeding up the process and using him for a ROR who you hope Veleno becomes. So let’s say:

To Buffalo:
      2018 1st rounder (#12)
      Brock Nelson
      Josh Ho-sang

To Islanders:
      Ryan Oreilly
      Nick Baptiste
      wagsnags liked this.
      May 26, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
      Banned
      My suggestion would be to just fold. All this franchise does is embarrass the past champions with their never ending suckery and awful team management.
      May 26, 2018 at 5:47 p.m.
      Quoting: mmobley
      Thanks for the response.

I think maybe a third round pick could be included into the ROR trade. But why do you think Ho-Sang, Nelson and a third round pick, isn't a high enough value to carry out the trade? Moving ROR gives BUF significant cap relief, getting Neslon gives them 3rd line C that gives the team strong secondary scoring and help in the DZ/PK, and Ho-Sang has tons of skill and potential-BUF would be a good team for him to be able to play a bigger role with less restrictions or fear of being demoted to the minors to see what he's really going to be at the NHL level.

Greiss only has two more years on his contract. Having him on the roster gives Samsinov time to play in the AHL for a year and get used to NA game. Moving Grubauer gives WSH a good back up, would have to pay Grubauer about the same to keep him, maybe more. NYI can get away with playing him $2 million on one-year deal because he is still an unproven starter. This would be a situation for him to be able to prove his worth and earn a bigger contact. Raanta had to do the same thing in ARI this season and had comparable numbers to Grubauer, as an unproven starter/great number 2.

Let me know what you think, agree or disagree. Would like to hear more of your input. Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed reply instead of just..... 'u suck go sit in the corner..... I know I suck but I do not like the corner....

In relation to Grubs.... The Capitals will be up against the cap and could be over it when & if they sign Carlson..... so spending $3,333,3333 on a backup goalie is not smart fiscal management. The backup goalie market will be in the $2,000,000 - $2,500,000 level and yes that difference to Greiss coap hit is significant. I also think that there are other teams that would be willing to make an offer for Grubs.

On to ROR..... the Sabres are not in a position to be competitive in 18/19. What they need to do is set themselves up to be playoff participants in 19/20 and contenders in 20/21 and beyond. In order for this to happen they will need to do the following:

1. Draft Dahlin #1;
      2. Have a solid #2C on the roster to be able to teach Mittelstadt & Eich how to play center in the NHL;
      3. The #2C has to be able to play in their defensive zone;
      4. The #2C has to be able to play on the PK & PP;
      5. The #2C has to be able to handle high leverage situations and face offs;

The Sabres make a big mistake expecting Mittelstadt to be that #2C in 18/19. He eventually will be that #2C but for this year he needs to stay as the #3C so he can develop and mature. The key for him is to learn how a true legit center in the NHL has to play for teams to be successful.

Do you see where I am going in all this...... the player I have described is ROR..... so he is already on your roster..... if GMBots is entertaining trading ROR he has to be saying to himself in order to move him it has to be an overpay from the other club as this season ROR is very important to the future success of the Sabres.

Now play it out..... ROR stays with the Sabres in 18/19 he has his normal year..... 80 games played 25 goals 35 assists for 60 points.... plays PK, PP and is one of the highest face off % players in the NHL all while helping the development of Mittelsadt. So a year from now ROR's value is about the same and may be higher if he does not say anything foolish in his exit interview. ROR has no NTC in his contract you can deal him at anytime.

The Sabres have plenty of cap room in 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21..... then it starts to get dicey for them so there is no urgency because of the cap. In the same respect GMBots has to be very careful not to sign a UFA this year to a ROR or Okposo type of deal as it could cost them the ability to sign a core foundational piece in 5 years.

Therefore ROR true value to the Sabres is quite high and as mikeysav in order for a team to get ROR that team will have to start with a #1 pick, a top prospect & a roster player if not more.

let me know what you think.....
      mikeyscav liked this.
      May 26, 2018 at 5:53 p.m.
      I like Eich
      Thanks for the detailed reply instead of just..... 'u suck go sit in the corner..... I know I suck but I do not like the corner....

In relation to Grubs.... The Capitals will be up against the cap and could be over it when & if they sign Carlson..... so spending $3,333,3333 on a backup goalie is not smart fiscal management. The backup goalie market will be in the $2,000,000 - $2,500,000 level and yes that difference to Greiss coap hit is significant. I also think that there are other teams that would be willing to make an offer for Grubs.

On to ROR..... the Sabres are not in a position to be competitive in 18/19. What they need to do is set themselves up to be playoff participants in 19/20 and contenders in 20/21 and beyond. In order for this to happen they will need to do the following:

1. Draft Dahlin #1;
      2. Have a solid #2C on the roster to be able to teach Mittelstadt & Eich how to play center in the NHL;

The Sabres make a big mistake expecting Mittelstadt to be that #2C in 18/19. He eventually will be that #2C but for this year he needs to stay as the #3C so he can develop and mature. The key for him is to learn how a true legit center in the NHL has to play for teams to be successful.

Do you see where I am going in all this...... the player I have described is ROR..... so he is already on your roster..... if GMBots is entertaining trading ROR he has to be saying to himself in order to move him it has to be an overpay from the other club as this season ROR is very important to the future success of the Sabres.

Now play it out..... ROR stays with the Sabres in 18/19 he has his normal year..... 80 games played 25 goals 35 assists for 60 points.... plays PK, PP and is one of the highest face off % players in the NHL all while helping the development of Mittelsadt. So a year from now ROR's value is about the same and may be higher if he does not say anything foolish in his exit interview. ROR has no NTC in his contract you can deal him at anytime.

The Sabres have plenty of cap room in 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21..... then it starts to get dicey for them so there is no urgency because of the cap. In the same respect GMBots has to be very careful not to sign a UFA this year to a ROR or Okposo type of deal as it could cost them the ability to sign a core foundational piece in 5 years.

Therefore ROR true value to the Sabres is quite high and as mikeysav in order for a team to get ROR that team will have to start with a #1 pick, a top prospect & a roster player if not more.

Perfect explanation. I think Nelson could be a guy that takes over 2C for us while Mitts develops. So I think that aspect as a stop gap works... similar to Bozak in Toronto
      May 26, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
      Quoting: mikeyscav
      Perfect explanation. I think Nelson could be a guy that takes over 2C for us while Mitts develops. So I think that aspect as a stop gap works... similar to Bozak in Toronto

I am a risk adverse with Mittelstadt.... I hope the organization learned the lesson with development of young players with the Reinhart experiment..... therefore I would be shy about 'hoping' or having Brock learn to be the #2C when we already have a legit #2C on the roster.
      May 26, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
      I like Eich
      I am a risk adverse with Mittelstadt.... I hope the organization learned the lesson with development of young players with the Reinhart experiment..... therefore I would be shy about 'hoping' or having Brock learn to be the #2C when we already have a legit #2C on the roster.

Brock has time in the top-6 and knows what it takes to hold down the 2C spot for a season or so until Mitts is ready imo. In Matthews year 1 everyone wasn’t so sure Bozak could hold down 2C but he did admirable and when Matthews proved to be top-6 material Bozak slid down. I think they should mimick that situation with Mitts and whoever the 2C is if ROR moves
      May 26, 2018 at 7:20 p.m.
      Brock has time in the top-6 and knows what it takes to hold down the 2C spot for a season or so until Mitts is ready imo. In Matthews year 1 everyone wasn’t so sure Bozak could hold down 2C but he did admirable and when Matthews proved to be top-6 material Bozak slid down. I think they should mimick that situation with Mitts and whoever the 2C is if ROR moves

If somehow Brock is in and ROR is out I trust that you are accurate in your assessment of the situation....... with a name like BROCK you gotta love him!!!!
      May 27, 2018 at 10:18 a.m.
      mmobley

Thanks guys! Really interesting stuff. Really appreciate the input!
      May 27, 2018 at 10:18 a.m.
      mmobley

1. Draft Dahlin #1;

Thanks guys! Really interesting stuff. Really appreciate the input!

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll