Forums/Armchair-GM

Blues winning the cup next year

Created by: TkachukNorris79
Team: 2018-19 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2018
Published: Jun. 8, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm a sens fan but with the rumours of signing JT and maybe adding Hoffman to an already great core with a solid back end, they could have the best roster in the league. This team would be fantastic to watch. Adding Grubauer, with Thompson in the lineup and Thomas close. Should be good for the future with Bouwmeester off the books. Will. Likely need to ship off Steen and Berglund eventually. Likely at a deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,650,000
2$1,100,000
3$4,000,000
4$3,825,000
1$985,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,750,000
7$11,000,000
Trades
STL
  1. Hoffman, Mike
Additional Details:
RFA Freddy Claesson
OTT
  1. Kyrou, Jordan
  2. Sobotka, Vladimír
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
Sobotka for Cap reasons, receive Claesson as a 3rd pairing Dman
STL
  1. 2018 3rd round pick (DAL)
STL
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (PHI)
STL
    RFA rights to Grubauer
    WSH
    1. Jaskin, Dmitrij
    2. 2018 1st round pick (WPG)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$80,000,000$76,106,822$150,988$395,000$3,893,178
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $5,187,500$5,187,500
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    LW, RW, C
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $894,167$894,167
    LW, RW
    RFA - 4
    $741,667$741,667
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,825,000$3,825,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $985,000$985,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 9:08 a.m.
    scarbrow21
    Not CAP compliant. Missing two players from the roster (which is allowed I might add but not smart and no team does this). Also you're not accounting for bonuses which means you're likely below the CAP already. Team looks dangerous but someone will need to take less money on their deal to be compliant or another trade has to happen
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 9:12 a.m.
    TkachukNorris79
    Quoting: scarbrow21
    Not CAP compliant. Missing two players from the roster (which is allowed I might add but not smart and no team does this). Also you're not accounting for bonuses which means you're likely below the CAP already. Team looks dangerous but someone will need to take less money on their deal to be compliant or another trade has to happen

I'm sure they could figure it out. Maybe get Ottawa to retain for another piece (doubt they would). Maybe find a way to trade Berglund now. Or Bouwmeester.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 9:36 a.m.
    Philly trade is good.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:01 a.m.
    Quoting: scarbrow21

We could run 1-2 players short on opening night, allowing bouwmeester to be put on LTIR and then call up the players we need. There is also the option to bridge Edmundson for 1-2 years for closer to 2/yr if we need cap for one year. Armstrong has a pretty good track record of occasionally running a roster with 22, especially during home stretches, to minimize the daily cap to help stay under.

I believe we are going to run into an Elliott situation with Hutton, where he wants to be a #1 somewhere instead of being back up to the likes of Gubauer. Unless we convinced him its going to be a 1A/1B and the better player will garner the most starts, I think he goes elsewhere. Replace him with Husso or a vet on a minimal salary around 1 and thats a little bit more cap savings added as well.

Overall it looks good. Giving up Kyrou is going to sting, but to move on from Sobotka and getting to keep the 2018 first (to be used elsewhere), i think that deal works out well.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    I like this a lot. If we're that close to the cap it may be smarter to bridge Edmundson for 2 years at a lower AAV. I wouldn't expect him to explode offensively or anything so we probably wouldn't get burned using the bridge - could sign him to a 2.75m x 2 followed by a nice 4m x 4 after that. Tbh the only way I'm comfortable moving Kyrou/Thomas is if we can land Tavares and resolve the goaltending situation - and those are going to be tough tasks.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
    --Ottowa trade is fair value, though I'd prefer to keep Kyrou (and, reportedly, so would DA). Ottowa will get better offers for Hoffman than that.
    --No Thomas? I think he's almost a lock to make the team.
    --Gunnarsson likely won't be back from IR until Christmas; you can't move him before then.
    --Last thing we need is another Left shooting LHD.
    --For the millionth time: IF Fabbri makes the club after sitting out the better part of two seasons, there is no way he gets penciled into the top line--and even if his conditioning is up to par, his timing, chemistry and vision will take months to recoup. It is far more likely he starts the season in San Antonio, and sees spot duty in the middle six after Christmas.
    --AND if I'm right, we need a LW as bad as we need a RW. Yes, we do "have a ton of LWs". Sadly, Schwartz is the only one in the organization who belongs in the top 6.
    --Kudos for keeping Steen and Berglund on the 3rd line where they belong.
    --That 4th line is awful. Thorburn can be effective enough, but Barbashev as 4th line center is just bad. He either makes the team as a middle six center, or as a utility extra forward. I see him being dealt. Bringing back Brodziak should be priority #2, behind acquiring a top center, IMO.
    --Tavares and Tarasenko should be paired, just as Schenn and Schwartz are a pairing that needs to stick. I think Hoffman will compliment the Schenn line nicely.
    --Kostin is an interesting option at 4th line RW. He's big, he can hit, he can fight, and he has the skill to move up the lineup in a pinch. But I suspect his defensive game needs a lot more work. I see him being dealt, or starting the season in San Antonio.
    TkachukNorris79 liked this.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    Quoting: BAC
    --Ottowa trade is fair value, though I'd prefer to keep Kyrou (and, reportedly, so would DA). Ottowa will get better offers for Hoffman than that.
    --No Thomas? I think he's almost a lock to make the team.
    --Gunnarsson likely won't be back from IR until Christmas; you can't move him before then.
    --Last thing we need is another Left shooting LHD.
    --For the millionth time: IF Fabbri makes the club after sitting out the better part of two seasons, there is no way he gets penciled into the top line--and even if his conditioning is up to par, his timing, chemistry and vision will take months to recoup. It is far more likely he starts the season in San Antonio, and sees spot duty in the middle six after Christmas.
    --AND if I'm right, we need a LW as bad as we need a RW. Yes, we do "have a ton of LWs". Sadly, Schwartz is the only one in the organization who belongs in the top 6.
    --Kudos for keeping Steen and Berglund on the 3rd line where they belong.
    --That 4th line is awful. Thorburn can be effective enough, but Barbashev as 4th line center is just bad. He either makes the team as a middle six center, or as a utility extra forward. I see him being dealt. Bringing back Brodziak should be priority #2, behind acquiring a top center, IMO.
    --Tavares and Tarasenko should be paired, just as Schenn and Schwartz are a pairing that needs to stick. I think Hoffman will compliment the Schenn line nicely.
    --Kostin is an interesting option at 4th line RW. He's big, he can hit, he can fight, and he has the skill to move up the lineup in a pinch. But I suspect his defensive game needs a lot more work. I see him being dealt, or starting the season in San Antonio.

All of your points are valid, except you keep saying this about Fabbri - this ain't baseball, man. You can't just send the guy down to find his game. Any time in San Antonio would be on a conditioning stint, which he won't need because he'll be a full participant in training camp and preseason... Otherwise we'd have to send him through waivers to the minors and I'm pretty sure 30 teams would submit claims (low risk, high reward).
    TkachukNorris79 liked this.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:32 a.m.
    Quoting: A_K
    All of your points are valid, except you keep saying this about Fabbri - this ain't baseball, man. You can't send just send the guy down to find his game. Any time in San Antonio would be on a conditioning stint, which he won't need because he'll be a full participant in training camp and preseason... Otherwise we'd have to send him through waivers to the minors and I'm pretty sure 30 teams would submit claims (low risk, high reward).

You're right, they can't just "send him down". But they absolutely can choose to have a player who missed an entire bloody season start the year on a conditioning assignment in the minors, and when that concludes, they absolutely can give him sheltered minutes as an extra forward. Which is exactly how I see the Blues using him for the better part of this year, assuming they keep him. What they won't do is throw him to the wolves by playing him first line minutes right out the gate. It would risk a career-ending re-injury, it isn't necessary, it most likely wouldn't be effective anyway, and it boggles the mind how many people are assuming otherwise.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    Quoting: BAC
    You're right, they can't just "send him down". But they absolutely can choose to have a player who missed an entire bloody season start the year on a conditioning assignment in the minors, and when that concludes, they absolutely can give him sheltered minutes as an extra forward. Which is exactly how I see the Blues using him for the better part of this year, assuming they keep him. What they won't do is throw him to the wolves by playing him first line minutes right out the gate. It would risk a career-ending re-injury, it isn't necessary, it most likely wouldn't be effective anyway, and it boggles the mind how many people are assuming otherwise.

Here's the CBA language:
    "Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan."

They didn't rush him back after the first surgery and that recovery took 5-6 months. He had the surgery back in November - I think if everything goes well he's going to be cleared to be a full participant in preseason. So, even if the league is dumb enough to believe that he needs a conditioning stint to start the season, it would last 2 weeks. I guess there's no point to speculate at this point because so much is unknown, but most people think if he can play at all, he'll be a top6 guy, and with the chemistry between Schwartz and Schenn, he's going to play on the other top line if he stays at LW. I don't think anyone is expecting 80 pts or even top-line quality, people are just putting him on that top line to balance out the rest of the lineup.
    Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
    Quoting: A_K
    Here's the CBA language:
    "Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan."

They didn't rush him back after the first surgery and that recovery took 5-6 months. He had the surgery back in November - I think if everything goes well he's going to be cleared to be a full participant in preseason. So, even if the league is dumb enough to believe that he needs a conditioning stint to start the season, it would last 2 weeks. I guess there's no point to speculate at this point because so much is unknown, but most people think if he can play at all, he'll be a top6 guy, and with the chemistry between Schwartz and Schenn, he's going to play on the other top line if he stays at LW. I don't think anyone is expecting 80 pts and MVP, people are just putting him on that top line to balance out the rest of the lineup.

Time will tell. I don't want to be right. I just think it's foolish to count on him in a top-6 role and risk his career playing top line minutes until he's proven he can still hang. And it's not as if he's going to get paid as a first line player. He's almost certainly going to get some sort of bridge deal, so it won't sting so bad if he's sitting a lot. Truthfully, I think Kyrou and Thomas both make the team, and Fabbri spells the two of them as the extra guy, and they see where chemistry and conditioning will take them.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll