Forums/Armchair-GM

Montreal trade for Lucic

Created by: cbc16
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2018
Published: Jun. 12, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's early and I didn't have coffee, maybe I'm out of my mind.

But montreal needs some picks, have a whole Lotta money, and doesn't have what it takes to go deep.

I traded Pacioretty for picks and prospect while getting a heavy contract back.

Trade bottom pairing D for heavy contract that their teams wants to get rid of, and asked for a second in return.

Then you tank, draft well if Timmins let it happen, and hope for the best in a couple of years.

Let me know what you guys thinks.

Are those trade realistic?

Edit: added Pacioretty contract extention
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,200,000
2$1,200,000
2$900,000
1$900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Martin, Paul
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (SJS)
MTL
  1. Orpik, Brooks
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (FLA)
  3. 2018 3rd round pick (WSH)
MTL
  1. Lucic, Milan
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2018 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2019 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Pacioretty, Max
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Pacioretty signed to a 8x 7.75M contract.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$80,000,000$70,415,474$0$1,512,500$9,584,526
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 8
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
Lenny7
While inconvenient, it probably makes a lot more sense for the Oilers to either buy him out or retain 50% in a trade. It's a bad contract, but giving up what amounts to 3 first rounders to get a year of Patches and get rid of Lucic seems like it would immediately become another bad Chiarelli trade.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
some cheap seafood
As much as I would want to get rid of Lucic, I really don't like that trade. If Pacioretty doesn't resign then that trade would be two first rounders, Lucic, and Yamamoto for a 2nd rounder. This trade would gut the Oilers prospect pool and I don't think Chia does this ( although based on his track record he might do something this dumb)
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
While inconvenient, it probably makes a lot more sense for the Oilers to either buy him out or retain 50% in a trade. It's a bad contract, but giving up what amounts to 3 first rounders to get a year of Patches and get rid of Lucic seems like it would immediately become another bad Chiarelli trade.

Quoting: twodollarlobster
As much as I would want to get rid of Lucic, I really don't like that trade. If Pacioretty doesn't resign then that trade would be two first rounders, Lucic, and Yamamoto for a 2nd rounder. This trade would gut the Oilers prospect pool and I don't think Chia does this ( although based on his track record he might do something this dumb)

And if Montréal sign Pacioretty prior to the trade to a multi years contract, would that make it more acceptable?
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: cbc16
And if Montréal sign Pacioretty prior to the trade to a multi years contract, would that make it more acceptable?

I edited the deal, signing Pacioretty to an extention and throwing in byron, who could be a nice fit in Edmonton with the speed he has.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
Lenny7

Tough to say. Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on offering much term without seeing him skate. He's coming off a knee injury...you don't tend to get faster when that happens...In all likelihood, he comes back and is fine, but coming off the worst season of his career, and tying in the knee injury, signing him long term seems like a disaster waiting to happen. IMO, he's worth a 1st round pick, but I think it's more likely that teams will wait to see him play before they make a move.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: twodollarlobster

I edited the deal, signing Pacioretty to an extention and throwing in byron, who could be a nice fit in Edmonton with the speed he has.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
Lenny7

If Patches signs an 8 year deal for $7.75/year, he's quickly going to be in the same boat that Lucic currently is. And does Paul Byron really move the needle? Sure, he had 20 goals playing a big role for the Habs, but Edmonton has at least 2-3 centers that are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Again, Patches has value, and I'm sure Byron could get you a bit too, but for a team that missed the playoffs, and clearly had a tonne of issues last season, trading what amounts to 3 first rounders away is a good way to set yourself back for years. Yes, they should probably look at getting rid of Lucic's contract...but this isn't the way.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:52 a.m.

Pacioretty can not sign an extension prior to July 1st. Which means a sign and trade can not be done with 2018 picks involved. The best Montreal and Edmonton can do is discuss an extension with Max, and he gets dealt with an unofficial extension agreed upon (and nothing making him stay true to that agreement).

This can bring the value up a bit. But Montreal could always just sign him July 1st, then trade him to whatever team they want, as he has no NTC in his current deal. Somewhat like they did with Subban having a deadline before his NTC kicked in.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 11:01 a.m.
Edited Jun. 12, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
If Patches signs an 8 year deal for $7.75/year, he's quickly going to be in the same boat that Lucic currently is. And does Paul Byron really move the needle? Sure, he had 20 goals playing a big role for the Habs, but Edmonton has at least 2-3 centers that are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Again, Patches has value, and I'm sure Byron could get you a bit too, but for a team that missed the playoffs, and clearly had a tonne of issues last season, trading what amounts to 3 first rounders away is a good way to set yourself back for years. Yes, they should probably look at getting rid of Lucic's contract...but this isn't the way.

I respect you opinion.
But there's some facts that need to get straighten up.

First Pacioretty and Lucic are two different type of player. Lucic played a physical game, never used speed as an assets, and was most of the time a 20-25 goal scorer, with a 30G year highlight. He was a 50-60pts winger.
Pacioretty is a winger who use his speed to get open in the slot, scores 30-37 goals a year, and produce roughly 65pts a year. Getting him with either Draisaitl or McJesus would sure be something that looks good on paper. Comparing Pacioretty and lucic is just unrealistic. One has speed, the other one doesnt.

Second, byron is a winger, not a center.
He's one of the fastest player in the league, gets a couple break away a game, scroring 20g as you say, with center such as Danault or plekanec.... Now imagine him on the wing of one of your top 2 center, jeez that's gonna be fast.

Its a high price, but Chiarelli already said their pick was available for immediate help.

Pacioretty' worth a prospect and a first.
Getting lucic horrible contract has a price. In the past look at Bickell trade, or Datsyuk salary dump.
Byron is a nice fit at a low price.
And there's a second from Toronto.

-----

What do you think of the other 2 trades. Are they realistic or a buyout would also be less costly?
Jun. 12, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: RobbStark03
Pacioretty can not sign an extension prior to July 1st. Which means a sign and trade can not be done with 2018 picks involved. The best Montreal and Edmonton can do is discuss an extension with Max, and he gets dealt with an unofficial extension agreed upon (and nothing making him stay true to that agreement).

This can bring the value up a bit. But Montreal could always just sign him July 1st, then trade him to whatever team they want, as he has no NTC in his current deal. Somewhat like they did with Subban having a deadline before his NTC kicked in.

Hmm that's right. I didn't consider that.
Either it's as you describe it, either Edmonton pick Montréal player and then they make the deal after...

Or just replace Edmontons first with the player they will pick.
RobbStark03 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 12:02 p.m.
Lenny7
I respect you opinion.
But there's some facts that need to get straighten up.

First Pacioretty and Lucic are two different type of player. Lucic played a physical game, never used speed as an assets, and was most of the time a 20-25 goal scorer, with a 30G year highlight. He was a 50-60pts winger.
Pacioretty is a winger who use his speed to get open in the slot, scores 30-37 goals a year, and produce roughly 65pts a year. Getting him with either Draisaitl or McJesus would sure be something that looks good on paper. Comparing Pacioretty and lucic is just unrealistic. One has speed, the other one doesnt.

Second, byron is a winger, not a center.
He's one of the fastest player in the league, gets a couple break away a game, scroring 20g as you say, with center such as Danault or plekanec.... Now imagine him on the wing of one of your top 2 center, jeez that's gonna be fast.

Its a high price, but Chiarelli already said their pick was available for immediate help.

Pacioretty' worth a prospect and a first.
Getting lucic horrible contract has a price. In the past look at Bickell trade, or Datsyuk salary dump.
Byron is a nice fit at a low price.
And there's a second from Toronto.

-----

What do you think of the other 2 trades. Are they realistic or a buyout would also be less costly?

My apologies, was more so comparing the outrageous $/term on them. I get that they aren't the same player, but does anyone want to really want to pay Patches upwards of $8mil/year as a 36,37 and 38 year old?

As for Byron, my mistake. Regardless, he got a lot more ice time than he would anywhere else, and was still only able to put up 35 pts. A half decent piece? Sure. A guy that's capable of playing top 6 minutes anywhere else? Probably not. "Imagine him with Drai or McD"? Imagine putting someone else there, that's actually capable.

The 2nd from Toronto is at the bottom of the second round. The value really isn't there.

-------

As for the other two deals? Sure, but the Caps just won the cup and Orpik was a pretty big part of that. If they move him and Carlson decides to sign elsewhere, then you've got Schlemko playing top 4 minutes for the defending champs. Obviously that's not ideal. I do think they'll resign Carlson, which would make a move like this somewhat necessary, but until then, I doubt they move him.

With Martin, it probably works.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 1:38 p.m.
the price to get rid of Lucic will be really high . Bickel cost Teravainen just for one year . Datsuk cost a 1st round for one year . Lucic have 5 more years so at least 2 or 3 big pieces , by that i mean (2018 1st round ,Yamamoto, Puljujarvi ) two of them just to get rid of Lucic . So you buy Pacioretty and Byron just for a 1st round . this is not enough . the 2nd round is the return of Lucic , Yamamoto ,1st 2018

if we base the trade on Bickel and Datsuyk trade the return should be a 2nd and a 3th for Lucic Yamamoto 1st 2018

IMO Edmonton can't trade Lucic , they have to keep him one or two more year, maybe its just a bad year and he will gain back some value if not the contract have less year so the cost is lower to trade him .
Jun. 12, 2018 at 6:29 p.m.
Quoting: chuck28
the price to get rid of Lucic will be really high . Bickel cost Teravainen just for one year . Datsuk cost a 1st round for one year . Lucic have 5 more years so at least 2 or 3 big pieces , by that i mean (2018 1st round ,Yamamoto, Puljujarvi ) two of them just to get rid of Lucic . So you buy Pacioretty and Byron just for a 1st round . this is not enough . the 2nd round is the return of Lucic , Yamamoto ,1st 2018

if we base the trade on Bickel and Datsuyk trade the return should be a 2nd and a 3th for Lucic Yamamoto 1st 2018

IMO Edmonton can't trade Lucic , they have to keep him one or two more year, maybe its just a bad year and he will gain back some value if not the contract have less year so the cost is lower to trade him .

Well now I don't know what to do.
Some tell me it's not enough, others too much lol.

I don't think taking lucic worth as much as you say, cause hell... It's less costly to just buy him out. If Montréal ask more than that, why would Edmonton accept the deal.
Honesty I kind of liked my trade. Montréal gets picks, a prospect, gets rid of Wingers and doesn't get better.

Datsyuk trade was like this:
Datsyuk + The Wings also sent the No. 16 overall pick to the Coyotes in exchange for the No. 20 pick, plus a second-rounder (No. 53) as well as Joe Vitale.

Bickell trade was:
Bickell and teravainen vs 2nd and 3rd.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 7:26 p.m.
i kinda like it too . you are really close to what could be the best for MTL ( in term of return for patch , i always think and hope a 1st round + a prospect ) maybe he just worth a 1st round , so ok .

But i realy think the price to get rid of Lucic will look like a 1st round and a good prospect (Yamamoto or Puljujarvi) for the return you put a 2nd and Byron , here again i think Byron worth more then a 3rd but fair enough .

MTL side :
if they start a rebuild that's a good way to start it with many good draft pick .

EDM side :
that mean they go all in . they finnally got a good winger to play with McDavid . they still have their 3 center maybe just missing one piece in defence
Jun. 12, 2018 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: chuck28
i kinda like it too . you are really close to what could be the best for MTL ( in term of return for patch , i always think and hope a 1st round + a prospect ) maybe he just worth a 1st round , so ok .

But i realy think the price to get rid of Lucic will look like a 1st round and a good prospect (Yamamoto or Puljujarvi) for the return you put a 2nd and Byron , here again i think Byron worth more then a 3rd but fair enough .

MTL side :
if they start a rebuild that's a good way to start it with many good draft pick .

EDM side :
that mean they go all in . they finnally got a good winger to play with McDavid . they still have their 3 center maybe just missing one piece in defence

The trade for Datsyuk was mostly a jump of 4 rank in the first round for a second and Vitale.

As for Bickell, teravainen wasn't delivering as expected, he was coming with a bit of a risk.
In return of teravainen they sent a 2nd and a 3rd.

I do believe Pacc with a first and a prospect. But a top 10 pick on a really good draft? I dunno...

Let's say 1st and Yamamoto for Pacc.
Lucic + top 10 1st vs byron second.

One thing I could see adding is something like, if Edmonton pass the 1st round, they add let say a second, the second round, it switch to a first, or something like that.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll