2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,300,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Quenneville, David
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
I based the trade value on this: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131
That would rank Martin and Hainsey both at 5, as NHL regulars. Quenneville was a 7th round pick, not very big, just barely breaking into the AHL at 20. On the other hand he's a RHD and his career numbers thus far, at least points-wise, seem pretty good to me. The value seems like it fits well. According to the article a 2nd-rounder's most likely value is between 2 and 4 on their scale. Seems like a fairly even trade.

As far as plausibility, I'd say there's a good chance Lou would go for this. He signed both Martin and Hainsey to those deals, and while they're giving up a RHD prospect with pretty good point totals, the Isles need help on defense NOW. They only have 4 legit NHLers signed next year, though De Haan will probably be back. They only have 5 signed in the AHL, and none that would qualify as "immediate help". And they have two 2nd-rounders this year, and would still have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.

TBH this is less about return for the Leafs and more about clearing roster spots for me. There are other D prospects I'd be happy with, and I don't really care if that pick was from the 3rd round. I wouldn't want later than that though.
TOR
  1. 2018 6th round pick (DET)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$78,000,000$66,970,833$2,550,000$6,250,000$11,029,167

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,025,000$1,025,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 18, 2018 at 1:58 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
For the record, Horton is not on LTIR because they don't need the cap space, and it limits them if they want to add later. Ideally LTIR wouldn't be used until they were hard against the cap. Instead, he'd be on ordinary IR, which provides no cap space but frees a roster spot. There isn't an option for normal IR, that's why there's 24 players on the roster instead of 23. As for Marincin, he requires waivers, and he had a good season/playoffs with the Marlies--I don't really like him as a player, but he's earned a spot imo at least as a #8. Can always waive him and who cares if he gets claimed.

I didn't want to go nuts on the spending for 18/19 because of Matthews and Marner.
Jun. 18, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
Banned
The Islanders wouldn't trade a 2nd pick by itself for Hainsey and Martin. The need isn't there for the Islanders, they may bring Martin in for a 5th, 6th or 7th, depending on how badly TO wanted to drop that contract but they don't want Hainsey period. He's too old and has only a couple years of playing left in him.

I agree with not going nuts in free agency, that always goes poorly.

Two other things here,

1) why not go a little higher on Nylander and get the 8th year? It'll provide more cost certainty and also wrap up all his prime years. (Prime years are 21-29, anyone who says otherwise isn't paying attention to stats, when you turn 30, everything hurts and you don't recover nearly as fast and you start losing steps. Not a good thing in the speed era we are currently in.)

2) there is still a big hole on RHD
Jun. 18, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Like your thought, and it's necessary to have Horton on the opening roster so the Performance Bonuses can be paid this season. Clears the maximum cap space for 2019/20. Can't see Jersey doing that deal for in effect 1 year of Hainsey. And really the Leafs need Hainsey this year. Like Nylander at centre as you suggest.....Leafs gotta say if he's a long term fit there.
Jun. 18, 2018 at 5:07 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The Islanders wouldn't trade a 2nd pick by itself for Hainsey and Martin. The need isn't there for the Islanders, they may bring Martin in for a 5th, 6th or 7th, depending on how badly TO wanted to drop that contract but they don't want Hainsey period. He's too old and has only a couple years of playing left in him.

I agree with not going nuts in free agency, that always goes poorly.

Two other things here,

1) why not go a little higher on Nylander and get the 8th year? It'll provide more cost certainty and also wrap up all his prime years. (Prime years are 21-29, anyone who says otherwise isn't paying attention to stats, when you turn 30, everything hurts and you don't recover nearly as fast and you start losing steps. Not a good thing in the speed era we are currently in.)

2) there is still a big hole on RHD

I'd be fine with a lower pick. I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd but really whatever comes. I just want to clear the spots. I like Martin but I think he's past his usefulness on the Leafs, and Hainsey is an effective penalty killer but too old for the kind of hard usage he gets--he was stellar to start the year but really got ridden hard and put away wet... and by the end of the year it really showed. The one thing Marincin does well is penalty kill, if nobody else can fill that spot. Besides, at some point you've got to clear the log jam so you can funnel new prospects into the Marlies. I still think the Islanders could use him, based on the lack of defenders they have signed right now, the lack of many decent free agent D (basically De Haan and Carlson, both of whom are getting a good chunk of change this summer) and how horrible their defense was this year.

1. I was loosely basing it on the Pastrnak deal of 6.67x6y. I figure he's worth similar money and would want something like that but was shooting for an extra year. If they can get him for 7m x 8y, great, I'll take that deal all day long.

2. Admittedly it's still far from ideal. I'm just not a fan of the limited UFA selection this year--basically De Haan and Carlson--which means both will probably end up way overpaid. As far as trades go, unless something unexpectedly awesome comes up that changes the current picture, I'd rather see those happen in the season after they see how what they've got in the pipe is working. I feel like this D setup is already better for the lack of Polak and Hainsey. I don't mind having Hainsey as a 5/6 guy, but odds are if we keep him he'll just get ridden like a rented mule again and burnt out. Hence I'd rather have a younger guy in there. We know the Gardiner and Reilly play very well together, Dermott and Borgman (or Rosen, he looked great in the playoffs) certainly can hold down a spot, I really don't think Zaitsev is as bad as he looked this season--kinda wonder if Babs was challenging him the way he did with Reilly the year before--and Ozhiganov is admittedly a wild card. But I feel either Carrick or Rosen could step up if he's a bust.

IMO anyway. Thanks for the contribution.
Jun. 18, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: palhal
Like your thought, and it's necessary to have Horton on the opening roster so the Performance Bonuses can be paid this season. Clears the maximum cap space for 2019/20. Can't see Jersey doing that deal for in effect 1 year of Hainsey. And really the Leafs need Hainsey this year. Like Nylander at centre as you suggest.....Leafs gotta say if he's a long term fit there.

Islanders. Not Jersey. Isles have nowhere near enough D signed next year (4 in the NHL and 5 in the minors) and had worse defense than the Leafs last season. It would be good for right now, and should get them through to next season for a big-time UFA defenseman. This season is going to be a crapshoot imo and whoever gets Carlson is going to regret it big time down the line. Of course, if they get a cup between now and then they won't care...

As far as the Leafs needing him, I'd be perfectly happy to keep him. He's a usable defenseman and great in the room. And good at mentoring the younger guys on the ice. I'm just afraid of Babcock burning him out the way we say this year. He was good at the start of the year but he got ridden so hard that he was really struggling by the end of the year... I'd rather have somebody younger in that kind of usage. We know Gardiner and Reilly play well together, and I don't think Zaitsev will be as bad as he was this year. I almost think Babs was pushing him the way he pushed Reilly the year before.

I figure Nylander is going to be OK there. He was reasonably decent when he got thrown off the deep end this year, and that was filling in for Matthews. In a role that essentially make him a Bozak replacement he should look like he's playing with his food. Probably wouldn't have to shelter him as much either.

Thanks for the contribution.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 9:54 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
I'd be fine with a lower pick. I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd but really whatever comes. I just want to clear the spots. I like Martin but I think he's past his usefulness on the Leafs, and Hainsey is an effective penalty killer but too old for the kind of hard usage he gets--he was stellar to start the year but really got ridden hard and put away wet... and by the end of the year it really showed. The one thing Marincin does well is penalty kill, if nobody else can fill that spot. Besides, at some point you've got to clear the log jam so you can funnel new prospects into the Marlies. I still think the Islanders could use him, based on the lack of defenders they have signed right now, the lack of many decent free agent D (basically De Haan and Carlson, both of whom are getting a good chunk of change this summer) and how horrible their defense was this year.

1. I was loosely basing it on the Pastrnak deal of 6.67x6y. I figure he's worth similar money and would want something like that but was shooting for an extra year. If they can get him for 7m x 8y, great, I'll take that deal all day long.

2. Admittedly it's still far from ideal. I'm just not a fan of the limited UFA selection this year--basically De Haan and Carlson--which means both will probably end up way overpaid. As far as trades go, unless something unexpectedly awesome comes up that changes the current picture, I'd rather see those happen in the season after they see how what they've got in the pipe is working. I feel like this D setup is already better for the lack of Polak and Hainsey. I don't mind having Hainsey as a 5/6 guy, but odds are if we keep him he'll just get ridden like a rented mule again and burnt out. Hence I'd rather have a younger guy in there. We know the Gardiner and Reilly play very well together, Dermott and Borgman (or Rosen, he looked great in the playoffs) certainly can hold down a spot, I really don't think Zaitsev is as bad as he looked this season--kinda wonder if Babs was challenging him the way he did with Reilly the year before--and Ozhiganov is admittedly a wild card. But I feel either Carrick or Rosen could step up if he's a bust.

IMO anyway. Thanks for the contribution.

I hear what you are saying and you're not wrong. However I will say in regards to Hainsey, he is still a stellar penalty killer and I think he'd be far more valuable on his natural left side on the bottom pairing. If I was GM, I'd look at making a move with Gardiner. He has pretty good value and I think would bring back some decent return, possibly a RHD in the perfect situation but likely just more young assets that can be used in other areas. Dermott can move up to 2nd pair and then if we get Myers or Tanev, you could move Hainsey to the left side of the 3rd pairing and then Carrack or Holl or that Russian guy could battle for the 3rd RHD spot.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I hear what you are saying and you're not wrong. However I will say in regards to Hainsey, he is still a stellar penalty killer and I think he'd be far more valuable on his natural left side on the bottom pairing. If I was GM, I'd look at making a move with Gardiner. He has pretty good value and I think would bring back some decent return, possibly a RHD in the perfect situation but likely just more young assets that can be used in other areas. Dermott can move up to 2nd pair and then if we get Myers or Tanev, you could move Hainsey to the left side of the 3rd pairing and then Carrack or Holl or that Russian guy could battle for the 3rd RHD spot.

I wonder if Carrick and Gardiner could be packaged together. Carrick isn't a bad player, but he clearly doesn't have Babcock's trust so the loss isn't huge... if there's anyone else available they'll play ahead of him anyway. The problem is you wouldn't get much out of him by himself. Gardiner is a quite effective player, spectacularly memorable brain farts aside. But he's only got a year left, and with the depth at LHD now I don't think he'd be coming back. If they can get a good RHD back for the pair of them it might be worth a look.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
I wonder if Carrick and Gardiner could be packaged together. Carrick isn't a bad player, but he clearly doesn't have Babcock's trust so the loss isn't huge... if there's anyone else available they'll play ahead of him anyway. The problem is you wouldn't get much out of him by himself. Gardiner is a quite effective player, spectacularly memorable brain farts aside. But he's only got a year left, and with the depth at LHD now I don't think he'd be coming back. If they can get a good RHD back for the pair of them it might be worth a look.

Carrack is okay, serviceable as a bottom pairing guy, if he could get a bit stronger and kill penalties, he'd make the team. Gardiner is a good player anyone who argues that is just wrong. With that said, he has some flaws that are too much for what I want in a defenceman. He is super soft along the boards and doesn't box out well or block shots. Because of those flaws, I would trade him to a team who desperately needs a puck mover on the left side. Send him to Montreal for whatever they'll give us, possibly a 1st rounder. Not this years obvisously and more likely Gardiner would get a 2nd and mid level prospect.
A_Bear_On_Skates liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll