Forums/Armchair-GM

Caps without Wilson

Created by: gordoncaps40
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 10, 2018
Published: Jul. 10, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
it's Summertime and tired of waiting on Wilson signing, so trade him.
Tried to work a deal for Karlsson, cost to much.
Tried to work a deal for Panarin, same thing, cost too much.
So I looked for someone who could fit in.
ELI, What do you think?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
Trades
MIN
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Tom Wilson RFA Rights
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$67,824,295$82,500$600,000$11,675,705
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 10, 2018 at 8:59 p.m.
Rangers 2023
at this point it's a 1 for 1
Eli liked this.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:00 p.m.
MK57
Warning: not Eli.

Similar players, similar styles, similar production. Wilson has displayed chemistry on the top line, and is like to sign a 3-5 year deal with the Caps. He’s also moved into a regular penalty killing role (not sure what Coyle brings off-hand). I don’t dislike this trade necessarily, but I actually think the pick should be going in the other direction. Caps don’t need another UFA going into 2020 without somebody to fill the spot, in my opinion.
Eli liked this.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:14 p.m.
I think Wilson and/or agent is being unfair to GMBM and rest of staff. They are entitled to time off, but GMBM can't finish team for new coach because IMO Wilson being selfish. Send him to Bruce. I get feeling NHL will crack down on Wilson this year and Caps will get too much negativity...May as well go ahead and live without him.

Do agreed that his value and potential contract could be an asset, but I think Distraction this year.
Eli liked this.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:48 p.m.
Edit: I'm honored you would ask. I typed up a response, but I was thinking of someone else. I'll get back to you.....

Edit again: Okay... Here goes.... Coyle's good for up to ten more goals a year, and likely has a lower cap hit, but only gets half as many hits and isn't a fighter, so they should take this deal if they can replace Tom WIlson's toughness somewhere else. I don't think their AHL tough guys are ready to move up, and Komarov signed with NYI for 3M... (I don't think I've written a Wilson trade this year without signing Komarov, who gets similar offensive stats to Coyle, and as many hits as WIlson, but is only six feet tall. Also a bit older... whatever... kind of a blend of Wilson and Coyle. Coyle's stat sheet reads more like Burakovsky with the benefit of more ice time and occasional power plays).

I think Matt Read and Cody Franson, between them, in the amount they get into the lineup, could replace the remaining parts of Wilson's toughness; Franson by being 6'6" and hitting a fair amount, and Read by being willing to fight anyone, and having at least some chance of winning. I think those two guys could sit in the press box most of the year and then come down out of it if the Caps draw the Islanders or Flyers in the playoffs and need some muscle. Or if they don't predict the Isles and Flyers both making the playoffs, then maybe they hope to not face either, and are okay to move on. I predict both will be there, on the strength of a lot of good veterans, a lot of good prospects, and a lot of tough checking.

So I don't think Tom WIlson is irreplaceable, but it's harder at this time of the year, and when you're taking three roster spots to replace him, it's kind of not as good, because at that point you can't go out and lowball Rick Nash anymore, because the budget is (still) blown.

Of course, I don't have any clue what they're thinking of paying Wilson. If he's asking 5M, and Minnesota wants to make that trade, it's possible Washington considers it.... but Wilson, as a 24 year old RFA, is worth a lot more in trade than Coyle, with two years left before hititng UFA. Like, he likely signs for three times as long, so a team that wants a guy like either would see more value in having WIlson around for six years than in having Coyle around just for two, even if Coyle's broken the 20 goal mark, and Wilson hasn't.

Also, top line Stephenson isn't likely. Maybe Connolly moves up there, or DSP, or Vrana. Since all four of those guys' contracts have one year left, and two will be UFAs, keeping any of them after they score twenty goals on the top line negates any salary cap savings you get from trading Wilson, so it really only makes sense if the Caps then sign Rick Nash for one year, as a placeholder in Wilson's spot..

I'd trade Wilson for Eric Staal, though... and happily throw in that 2nd round pick requested above, on the condition that he signs an extension before reaching UFA.

I hope the Caps bring up Coyle's contract as a comp to keep Wilson from pushing them up close to the cap ceiling. Just because there is cap space doesn't mean he personally earned all of it with a 32 point season and a ton of big hits.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:28 p.m.
Pass. Coyle is good and all but Wilson's value is very high. Just about every team would love to have him. Go for a bigger fish like Stone or Poolparty.
Eli liked this.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:31 p.m.
Eli
Thanks for responding. Would you just wait it out to see what T Wilson gets or move him?

Your option of "and offer Rick Nash one year at 3.5M", while interesting doesn't do it for me.
I have always consider Rick Nash the "Freddy Lynn" of hockey, (always making a good team worse). Maybe unfair, but I believe Nash, (like Lynn), is (was) one of the best in talent, but seemed to disappear when needed most.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Eli liked this.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 9:55 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: gordoncaps40
I think Wilson and/or agent is being unfair to GMBM and rest of staff. They are entitled to time off, but GMBM can't finish team for new coach because IMO Wilson being selfish. Send him to Bruce. I get feeling NHL will crack down on Wilson this year and Caps will get too much negativity...May as well go ahead and live without him.

Do agreed that his value and potential contract could be an asset, but I think Distraction this year.

Wilson could totally be an asset. He might just develop some more offense. He hit like 48 points in juniors (although not 20 goals).... there were definitely flashes of talent with some decent passing plays this year.

The reason I'd consider trading him now, while his value is high, is that I remember how well the contracts to the team's other character guys of the Ovechkin era have gone, be it Laich, Orpik, or Hamrlik.

There's certainly a lot to be said for keeping teams together after they win, but there's also a lot to be said for buying low on developing players and selling high on proven talent. I'd trade Wilson and a high pick for Provorov. I'd happily trade him for Zadorov, and even add a 3rd.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 10:32 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: gordoncaps40
Eli
Thanks for responding. Would you just wait it out to see what T Wilson gets or move him?

Your option of "and offer Rick Nash one year at 3.5M", while interesting doesn't do it for me.
I have always consider Rick Nash the "Freddy Lynn" of hockey, (always making a good team worse). Maybe unfair, but I believe Nash, (like Lynn), is (was) one of the best in talent, but seemed to disappear when needed most.

Thanks to all who have responded.

What about one year at 2M?

He definitely had a weak playoffs. I think Nash's claims to talent have been exaggerated, but he can get to the net and finish and not many can stand in his way. In that way, he's like Ovechkin, in that it takes a heck of a tough defenseman to slow him down. Few teams have two guys on the right side who are up to the task. So it's not that I believe in Nash. It's that I believe that, in the same way that having Wilson or Knuble on the same line with Ovechkin makes it easier for Ovechkin to freight train over defensemen, having Ovechkin take on the other team's toughest defensive pair, and playing on a line with Nick Backstrom, all makes Nash suddenly a thirty goal scorer again.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 8:04 a.m.
ArlingtonCapitals
1 Star for seemingly thinking Eli has a valuable opinion.
Eli liked this.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Jul. 11, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
This is the most epic multiple post ever. I really did not try to make it do this. They really are all the same.
Who adds what?
Edited Jul. 11, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
hmmmm
Who adds what?
Quoting: ArlingtonCaps

Hey, be nice. I assumed he was making fun of me. smile

But for whatever it's worth, I think some Wild fans were offering Coyle and Belpedio for Wilson earlier this year, and most Caps fans agreed that was bad for the Caps. The only thing that's really changed is cap hit, and without knowing what that's worth, I can't say. If he's asking over 5M per year, and might get it, he can certainly go out West, and the Caps can sign Alexei Emelin and Matt Read to more than replace his toughness, in the event of an Islanders or Flyers series, while also adding a fourth Russian speaking player to compliment the three pretty good ones they've got. With the league trying to put a good face on a weak effort to reduce head injuries by just cracking down on a couple really big tough guys, I think Emelin replaces Wilson's quantity of hits, while Read replaces his fighting, but each probably flies under the league's radar a little bit better.
Who adds what?

But for whatever it's worth, I think some Wild fans were offering Coyle and Belpedio for Wilson earlier this year, and most Caps fans agreed that was bad for the Caps. The only thing that's really changed is cap hit, and without knowing what that's worth, I can't say. If he's asking over 5M per year, and might get it, he can certainly go out West, and the Caps can sign Alexei Emelin and Matt Read to more than replace his toughness, in the event of an Islanders or Flyers series, while also adding a fourth Russian speaking player to compliment the three pretty good ones they've got. With the league trying to put a good face on a weak effort to reduce head injuries by just cracking down on a couple really big tough guys, I think Emelin replaces Wilson's quantity of hits, while Read replaces his fighting, but each probably flies under the league's radar a little bit better.
Who adds what?

Who adds what?
Edited Jul. 11, 2018 at 4:05 p.m.
multiple post
Who adds what?

Who adds what?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll