Forums/Armchair-GM

Suzuki and Sprong (PIT/VGK trades)

Created by: TanSor
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 1, 2018
Published: Aug. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Please let me know your opinions on value, especially with the Vegas trade. Suzuki would spend the year in Iowa, but he's included here to show depth.
Trades
MIN
  1. Hagelin, Carl
  2. Sprong, Daniel
  3. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Niederreiter, Nino
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Suzuki, Nick
  2. 2019 4th round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Suzuki seems somewhat expendable to me. Vegas drafted Glass, who seems to be their future 1C, William Karlsson had a fantastic year and even if he regresses slightly he seems to be a great 2C when Glass is ready for the top line role. Even if Suzuki were moved to RW, Vegas already has Reilly Smith and Tuch at those positions. There doesn't seem to be any room for him in the top 6. For this reason, Vegas gets a big upgrade at RD. Spurgeon is no EK65, but he's a great puck mover and is sound both offensively and defensively.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$67,727,759$25,000$425,000$11,772,241
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
C
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.
VGK Oof Hard Pass.
pittsburghfan liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
VGK Oof Hard Pass.

What would need to be added to make it more fair, then?
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: arousedcat
What would need to be added to make it more fair, then?

Well for one thing imo I wouldn’t be trading away Suzuki
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
Well for one thing imo I wouldn’t be trading away Suzuki

Did you read my trade description? I went in detail on why he's expendable. If Vegas didn't already have an abundance of talent with their forwards, I wouldn't trade him either if I were them, but they have a great top 6 as well as stud prospect Cody Glass. They are looking to upgrade on RD, which they do here.

Also, this is purely for fun. I never said any of these trades are what would happen in reality. That's what this website is all about, after all.
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
Did you read my trade description? I went in detail on why he's expendable. If Vegas didn't already have an abundance of talent with their forwards, I wouldn't trade him either if I were them, but they have a great top 6 as well as stud prospect Cody Glass. They are looking to upgrade on RD, which they do here.

Also, this is purely for fun. I never said any of these trades are what would happen in reality. That's what this website is all about, after all.

I did I’m just thinking longterm. Stast won’t hold up 2nd Line Minutes for his full deal. That’s why Suzuki and Glass are there. I would think that if you can offload Stast and Eakin you would have Suzuki and Glass. So longterm it looks better
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:08 p.m.
I’ve had a realization recently about trading picks and prospects. so I see it as a viable option to trade some of our prospects like Suzuki because at this moment we have a small window to win the cup while Fleury is still a Starter caliber goalie. Once he’s done, we don’t have a sure replacement, so I’d be open to move Suzuki for NHL ready players. The thing with Suzuki and Glass though is they won’t be NHL ready for another season or two, so they could become our second and third line centers after Stastny leaves.
In terms of value, I think both the Knights and Wild can find better trade partners for Suzuki and Spurgeon. While an upgrade on the blueline would be great, we also have gaps to fill in our forward group, so that’s why I’d lean toward a trade with the Canes for us both in reality and fantasy lol. ?
TanSor liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
I did I’m just thinking longterm. Stast won’t hold up 2nd Line Minutes for his full deal. That’s why Suzuki and Glass are there. I would think that if you can offload Stast and Eakin you would have Suzuki and Glass. So longterm it looks better

Love the profile pic btw! Definately worth 2.75mil AAV!
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: VRCR
I’ve had a realization recently about trading picks and prospects. so I see it as a viable option to trade some of our prospects like Suzuki because at this moment we have a small window to win the cup while Fleury is still a Starter caliber goalie. Once he’s done, we don’t have a sure replacement, so I’d be open to move Suzuki for NHL ready players. The thing with Suzuki and Glass though is they won’t be NHL ready for another season or two, so they could become our second and third line centers after Stastny leaves.
In terms of value, I think both the Knights and Wild can find better trade partners for Suzuki and Spurgeon. While an upgrade on the blueline would be great, we also have gaps to fill in our forward group, so that’s why I’d lean toward a trade with the Canes for us both in reality and fantasy lol. ?

You actually do. Malcolm Subban is a well not a prospect anymore but still really good and behind Fleury for a few year helps him grow and develop
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Love the profile pic btw! Definately worth 2.75mil AAV!

He isn’t worth 2.75M. He is what we call an enforcer. He is worth just over 1M a year. I would love to bring back to Saint Louis.
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:15 p.m.

Fair enough! What about a trade involving both Spurgeon and Niederreiter for Glass and something else? I'd offer Zucker, but his speed is a huge asset for us as a slower team. That way you'd get both a defenseman and a forward to fill your gaps. Nino also has the flexibility of playing LW or RW, which is a plus.
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.
You actually do. Malcolm Subban is a well not a prospect anymore but still really good and behind Fleury for a few year helps him grow and develop

I love Subban as a goalie, but there’s a reason he was waived by Boston. He’s not a top goalie prospect that we would prefer to have. Yes, Subban has the qualities to be a starting NHL goalie but he’s not a sure thing even with a few seasons of tutoring from MAF.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:17 p.m.
Fair enough! What about a trade involving both Spurgeon and Niederreiter for Glass and something else? I'd offer Zucker, but with his extension I don't think we want to move him. That way you'd get both a defenseman and a forward to fill your gaps. Nino also has the flexibility of playing LW or RW, which is a plus.

It’s fairly obvious Minnesota needs to rebuild, but you guys don’t need a total rebuild. You guys are more in need of a retool. So not so sure that getting prospects right now is the best thing to do.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:18 p.m.
I love Subban as a goalie, but there’s a reason he was waived by Boston. He’s not a top goalie prospect that we would prefer to have. Yes, Subban has the qualities to be a starting NHL goalie but he’s not a sure thing even with a few seasons of tutoring from MAF.

Well they waived him because Khudobin at the time was playing better.
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
He isn’t worth 2.75M. He is what we call an enforcer. He is worth just over 1M a year. I would love to bring back to Saint Louis.

r/whoooosh: That was definately sarcasm from me, I fully understand his purpose and what he’s worth it’s just that our GM McPhee didn’t and overpaid him to stay. He might just be worth it for the locker room though as he has a great personality and brings a lot of energy and grit to the team.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:20 p.m.
r/whoooosh: That was definately sarcasm from me, I fully understand his purpose and what he’s worth it’s just that our GM McPhee didn’t and overpaid him to stay. He might just be worth it for the locker room though as he has a great personality and brings a lot of energy and grit to the team.

Yea I want that Senko and Reaves locker Dabbing back
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
It’s fairly obvious Minnesota needs to rebuild, but you guys don’t need a total rebuild. You guys are more in need of a retool. So not so sure that getting prospects right now is the best thing to do.

I have to disagree with you slightly. We do need a partial rebuild, but if we're smart we'd try to win when Kaprizov comes over in 2 years. In this case, Suzuki would likely be NHL ready the season before Kaprizov comes over (Suzuki will need this season in the AHL), and he'd hopefully be ready for a top 6 role when Kaprizov is here. Eriksson Ek would be our 1C by that time (given that he develops the way we hope), so while getting picks for anything later than the draft this year doesn't make sense, I think some older prospects from the 2016-2018 drafts do make some sense. If we get any prospects at all, getting them now would be the best thing to do to maximize our window.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
Fair enough! What about a trade involving both Spurgeon and Niederreiter for Glass and something else? I'd offer Zucker, but his speed is a huge asset for us as a slower team. That way you'd get both a defenseman and a forward to fill your gaps. Nino also has the flexibility of playing LW or RW, which is a plus.

I’ll have to look into it real quick and come back to you
TanSor liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
Also @arousedcat you were asking how it would have to be to get Suzuki. Try Dumba if they can find a cheaper alternative to Karlsson they would.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:46 p.m.

So, I’ve tried to make a trade but we are lacking on NHL ready players to trade. What I’ve got so far is Spurgeon/Nino for Suzuki/2019 1st/2020 2nd/Carrier/Eakin.
There’s still a big gap in value so unless you want Tatar I’m not sure what else I could fit into the the trade. What do you think? You know who Suzuki is already, Carrier is an NHL ready left winger who plays a fast physical game, and Eakin would be a veteran presence as a third or second line two-way center who can produce points well and kill penalties. If you trade Staal he would be perfect. As I said not sure.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:54 p.m.
So, I’ve tried to make a trade but we are lacking on NHL ready players to trade. What I’ve got so far is Spurgeon/Nino for Suzuki/2019 1st/2020 2nd/Carrier/Eakin.
There’s still a big gap in value so unless you want Tatar I’m not sure what else I could fit into the the trade. What do you think? You know who Suzuki is already, Carrier is an NHL ready left winger who plays a fast physical game, and Eakin would be a veteran presence as a third or second line two-way center who can produce points well and kill penalties. If you trade Staal he would be perfect. As I said not sure.

I wouldn't mind that trade, honestly. It makes us younger and we'd get a 1st to either move up in the draft and get an NHL ready player or grab a couple guys to hopefully be ready the year of or year after Kaprizov's arrival. Definitely hurts us now but could set us up great for the future.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
I wouldn't mind that trade, honestly. It makes us younger and we'd get a 1st to either move up in the draft and get an NHL ready player or grab a couple guys to hopefully be ready the year of or year after Kaprizov's arrival. Definitely hurts us now but could set us up great for the future.

I’ve just done that trade from both sides, and it looks ok but we are tight on cap now, while the Wild have 30 centers and left wings but are light on the right and the blueline is weak after Suter-Dumba. I’d move players like Coyle, Staal, and others to upgrade positions. I still think the value is off.
The lines in two years are:
Zucker-Eriksson-Granlund
Greenway-Suzuki-Coyle
Parise-Koivu-Brown
Foligno-Eakin-Carrier
Extra(Trade?): Staal, Lindberg, Fehr, Hendricks
TanSor liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 1:21 p.m.
I’ve just done that trade from both sides, and it looks ok but we are tight on cap now, while the Wild have 30 centers and left wings but are light on the right and the blueline is weak after Suter-Dumba. I’d move players like Coyle, Staal, and others to upgrade positions. I still think the value is off.
Zucker-Eriksson-Granlund
Greenway-Suzuki-Coyle
Parise-Koivu-Brown
Foligno-Eakin-Carrier

I think Staal is very likely moved. I don't see him as a part of our long-term future, especially since we got a new GM. I'm not sure where he could be moved to, though...
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 1:34 p.m.
I think Staal is very likely moved. I don't see him as a part of our long-term future, especially since we got a new GM. I'm not sure where he could be moved to, though...

How about Staal and maybe Coyle/Foligno in this scenario for Faulk?
TanSor liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
How about Staal and maybe Coyle/Foligno in this scenario for Faulk?

I've actually propsed a Faulk for Staal trade straight up before, it could work out really well for both sides!
VRCR liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
Zucker-Eriksson-Granlund
Greenway-Suzuki-Coyle
Parise-Koivu-Brown
Foligno-Eakin-Carrier

I just noticed you forgot Kunin. He would likely be where Coyle is now, shifting everyone on the right side down a slot. Of course, this is assuming all of our prospects pan out which is risky. You also left out Kaprizov and he would definitely be our top line LW with Granny and Eriksson Ek. I think at that point Koivu would be best in a 4th line role. Not many people know this but Greenway actually played the whole season at center last year at BU, he could slot in as that 3C.

After you update that it looks a lot better:

Kaprizov - Eriksson Ek - Granlund
Zucker - Suzuki - Kunin
Parise - Greenway - Coyle
Foligno - Koivu - Brown

If we moved Staal for Faulk our blue line would be:
Suter - Dumba
Brodin - Faulk/Belpedio (Our 1st round pick this year, Filip Johansson, could also be a possibility on this pairing)
Seeler/Soucy - Pateryn
VRCR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll