SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Little moves, big return (Tor and Chi)

Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 9, 2018
Published: Aug. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto gets a solid top-4 Dman instead of a 3rd centreman and saves a little money in the process.

Montreal takes on Seabrook's anchor contract, freeing up the Hawks from their cap hell. Seabrook starts the year as the #1 RD while Weber gets healthy, but could eventually slide to the 5-6 pairing as Juulsen gets experience.
Trades
TOR
  1. Petry, Jeff ($2,000,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Seabrook, Brent ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. 2020 1st round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Schlemko, David
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Rights to Mike McCarron
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$79,500,000$75,012,975$0$2,032,500$4,487,025
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 8
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Habsnatic
Wow
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: bishopsdad
Wow

It answers your question about Hainsey from your other posts. It would seem Kadri is an expensive spare part on the Leafs team that's a bit out of balance and needs D.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
I've seen a lot worse. Kadri would help the Habs a lot and Domi would be a good #2 centre until Kotkeniemi and Poehling are ready.
Assuming the cap grows for 2 more years, buying out Seabrook in 2021 wouldn't be too costly.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:04 p.m.
Habsnatic
I just can’t see either team doing this and helping each other. It’s one thing to fleece the Leafs with Pleky but this.....
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: bishopsdad
I just can’t see either team doing this and helping each other. It’s one thing to fleece the Leafs with Pleky but this.....

Both teams need what the other has. For the leafs, they need D and cap room. The Habs need a go-to centreman who's at risk of being relegated to third-line in Toronto. Risk/reward seems evenly spread.
HabsRafiki and habs_fan123 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:24 p.m.
I feel like the Leafs could likely get more return out of Kadri while still saving cap space and do so while not dealing him within the division. The thing about Kadri is the fact that he is on an extremely team friendly deal. I would honestly rather deal Kadri for a solid prospect/ pick return and use that space created to build through FA.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: jempey82
I feel like the Leafs could likely get more return out of Kadri while still saving cap space and do so while not dealing him within the division. The thing about Kadri is the fact that he is on an extremely team friendly deal. I would honestly rather deal Kadri for a solid prospect/ pick return and use that space created to build through FA.

Doesn't help the D situation, though. Anyway, WTF would you worry about trading him in division?!!! Habs are no threat and the Leafs already have the Cup sewn up. Just enjoy the goddam parade. You'd probably do better keeping the Habs from getting Hughes or Lafreniere.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: Truebeliever
Doesn't help the D situation, though. Anyway, WTF would you worry about trading him in division. Leafs already have the Cup sewn up. Just enjoy the goddam parade.

LMFAO tears of joy
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
Doesn't help the D situation, though. Anyway, WTF would you worry about trading him in division?!!! Habs are no threat and the Leafs already have the Cup sewn up. Just enjoy the goddam parade. You'd probably do better keeping the Habs from getting Hughes or Lafreniere.

1) it doesn't help the D right away but it gives space in the budget to do it next year in FA where the cash would be there for a true top pairing guy. Sure it would cost more but I would be worth it. Plus you can likely grab a solid forward prospect from a team that you can leverage into the lineup when you are forced to move another established player because of cap constraints.

2) It's the Habs, never do one of your greatest rival a favour no matter how much it may help you for a season or 2.

3) Screw the Habs!!! LOL
HabsRafiki liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.
I mean if TO is serious about moving Kadri for a RHD, I think there would be a few teams who could out bid us with Petry. To be honest seeing Kadri in an Habs jersey makes be a little queezy so Im not sure I'f even do it at all. Sticking Out Tongue

The other trade is intriguing but I think for it to work, Chicago won't retain any salary becuase that is virtually the goal of moving Seabrook here and then MTL wouldn't add any picks. CHI looses Seabrook at the cost of a 1st rounder, replace that empty roster spot with a bottom pairing dman whose UFA and a prospect that simply isn't in our plans anymore. then we haven't even got to the fact that Seabrook has an NMC and probably won't waive it ever.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: jempey82
1) it doesn't help the D right away but it gives space in the budget to do it next year in FA where the cash would be there for a true top pairing guy. Sure it would cost more but I would be worth it. Plus you can likely grab a solid forward prospect from a team that you can leverage into the lineup when you are forced to move another established player because of cap constraints.

2) It's the Habs, never do one of your greatest rival a favour no matter how much it may help you for a season or 2.

3) Screw the Habs!!! LOL

Only Leafs fans view the Habs as rivals. It's not really reciprocated. Most Habs fans view Bruins, Rangers and Flyers as much bigger rivals. More recently, maybe Ottawa fits in there. The league never should have realigned to break up the Detroit-Chicago-Toronto-Blues rivalries. Those were better than the crap schedules we have now.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I mean if TO is serious about moving Kadri for a RHD, I think there would be a few teams who could out bid us with Petry. To be honest seeing Kadri in an Habs jersey makes be a little queezy so Im not sure I'f even do it at all. Sticking Out Tongue

The other trade is intriguing but I think for it to work, Chicago won't retain any salary becuase that is virtually the goal of moving Seabrook here and then MTL wouldn't add any picks. CHI looses Seabrook at the cost of a 1st rounder, replace that empty roster spot with a bottom pairing dman whose UFA and a prospect that simply isn't in our plans anymore. then we haven't even got to the fact that Seabrook has an NMC and probably won't waive it ever.

I don't love Kadri, but I don't love Petry either. That said, Kadri would do more to help the Habs than he will the Leafs; and Petry would be a rock in that RHD position for the Leafs, who really need a top-4 player there. I am not sure there are a lot of other team willing to send a top-4 Dman for Kadri, for all the reason your own reticence suggests.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:15 p.m.
Only Leafs fans view the Habs as rivals. It's not really reciprocated. Most Habs fans view Bruins, Rangers and Flyers as much bigger rivals. More recently, maybe Ottawa fits in there. The league never should have realigned to break up the Detroit-Chicago-Toronto-Blues rivalries. Those were better than the crap schedules we have now.

Thank you, Believer!!! It's the weirdest thing to talk to Leafs fans who somehow think Habs fans are as obsessed with them as they are with us. I hold no animus toward the Leafs, but no love for them either.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
I don't love Kadri, but I don't love Petry either. That said, Kadri would do more to help the Habs than he will the Leafs; and Petry would be a rock in that RHD position for the Leafs, who really need a top-4 player there. I am not sure there are a lot of other team willing to send a top-4 Dman for Kadri, for all the reason your own reticence suggests.

I think there would be plenty teams willing to send a top 4 rock over there for Kadri in a heartbeat. Unless you know of other 30+ goals scoring centers signed to less than 5M contracts long term? He is totally a **** disturber but I know teams will look the other way for that. Aint a gosh darn team in the NHL that wouldn't take Marchand on their team and he is literally the most hated player in the league. (in terms of antics)
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: HabsRafiki
Thank you, Believer!!! It's the weirdest thing to talk to Leafs fans who somehow think Habs fans are as obsessed with them as they are with us. I hold no animus toward the Leafs, but no love for them either.

I wasn't even pissed when they stole Pat Burns and overpaid for Komisarek. Maybe I'll feel different when/if they win, but for now, I kinda wish them well. I will never say that about Boston.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:25 p.m.
I think there would be plenty teams willing to send a top 4 rock over there for Kadri in a heartbeat. Unless you know of other 30+ goals scoring centers signed to less than 5M contracts long term? He is totally a **** disturber but I know teams will look the other way for that. Aint a gosh darn team in the NHL that wouldn't take Marchand on their team and he is literally the most hated player in the league. (in terms of antics)

I don't disagree, though Kadri is no Marchand. But when you look around the league at teams that need a centreman and have Dmen to spare, they're few and far between. You might get someone a bit younger than Petry, but I can't think of a contender that will break up its top 4 this late in the summer. Maybe Vegas would, but Petry is better than Holden or Miller. Rangers could give Shattenkirk. You get the idea. Finding plug-and-play solutions on D with teams that have some cap to accommodate a player coming the other way are few and far between.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:39 p.m.
I don't disagree, though Kadri is no Marchand. But when you look around the league at teams that need a centreman and have Dmen to spare, they're few and far between. You might get someone a bit younger than Petry, but I can't think of a contender that will break up its top 4 this late in the summer. Maybe Vegas would, but Petry is better than Holden or Miller. Rangers could give Shattenkirk. You get the idea. Finding plug-and-play solutions on D with teams that have some cap to accommodate a player coming the other way are few and far between.

I'd take Colin Miller over Petry any day of the week! And i don't mind Petry as a player!

But since you asked

Carolina is a prime team looking for a center that has RHD to burn.
Winnipeg has to make a decision with Trouba/Myers/Byfuglien as a 3 headed RHD monster someday.
You mentioned Miller who I'd absolutely take over Petry at the moment simply on age/contract and production.

So there are a few teams for sure.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 7:39 a.m.
I'd take Colin Miller over Petry any day of the week! And i don't mind Petry as a player!

But since you asked

Carolina is a prime team looking for a center that has RHD to burn.
Winnipeg has to make a decision with Trouba/Myers/Byfuglien as a 3 headed RHD monster someday.
You mentioned Miller who I'd absolutely take over Petry at the moment simply on age/contract and production.

So there are a few teams for sure.

Granted, Miller does have the experience of this year's Stanley Cup run and a nice contract. But Vegas has Stastny, Karlsson and Eakin, plus Glass, Suzuki and Leschyshyn coming along at C. So the appetite for Kadri might be less than MTL.
Carolina needs a centreman, for sure, though Necas and Staal should take the top 2 lines. But are they really going to part with Dougie Hamilton or Faulk? After that, the pickings for experienced RD are pretty slim.
Trouba would be great, but he's an RFA next year. His ticket will climb to $7M, which puts the Leafs in cap hell. Petry at $3.5M for 3 years is a better deal for the Leafs as they work to get Matthews, Marner and Gardiner, Kapanen and others under contract.

We can quibble over what other teams might have the interest and ability, or we can say "throw in a second rounder and it's a deal." At the end of the day, both Montreal and Toronto would be better and more balanced teams for making a deal along these lines.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
Granted, Miller does have the experience of this year's Stanley Cup run and a nice contract. But Vegas has Stastny, Karlsson and Eakin, plus Glass, Suzuki and Leschyshyn coming along at C. So the appetite for Kadri might be less than MTL.
Carolina needs a centreman, for sure, though Necas and Staal should take the top 2 lines. But are they really going to part with Dougie Hamilton or Faulk? After that, the pickings for experienced RD are pretty slim.
Trouba would be great, but he's an RFA next year. His ticket will climb to $7M, which puts the Leafs in cap hell. Petry at $3.5M for 3 years is a better deal for the Leafs as they work to get Matthews, Marner and Gardiner, Kapanen and others under contract.

We can quibble over what other teams might have the interest and ability, or we can say "throw in a second rounder and it's a deal." At the end of the day, both Montreal and Toronto would be better and more balanced teams for making a deal along these lines.

But that is easy to say when we're the team getting better asset in the deal. Petry even at 3.5 for 3 years still doesn't hold the value Kadri has and what the Habs would need to add to realistically be fair would pushing us out of our rebuild into a closer to contention type attitude which Im totally opposed to. Kadri is not nearly enough to make us be able to compete so it would be advancing a rebuild prematurely.

If push comes to shove and TO absolutely need a RHD, wouldn't they be better off moving futures for UFA's? Toronto is effectively all in. Losing Kadri but getting Petry at best is lateral in the sense that yes they improve their RHD but down the middle they get weaker. They need both.

I dunno, value can be disputed till the cows come home I agree but the idea, basis of the trade, IMO isn't right. Lets not forget this is a division rival and a team that the Habs rarely trade with for a reason. Aside from smallish deals, teams rarely make trades in division (old 5 team division) and Toronto and MTL are absolute rivals as well. Plekanec being the "picks for playoff depth" exception that any team can look the other way on as the impact was really low for both teams and I think both teams new what would happen the following year anyway.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:25 a.m.
But that is easy to say when we're the team getting better asset in the deal. Petry even at 3.5 for 3 years still doesn't hold the value Kadri has and what the Habs would need to add to realistically be fair would pushing us out of our rebuild into a closer to contention type attitude which Im totally opposed to. Kadri is not nearly enough to make us be able to compete so it would be advancing a rebuild prematurely.

If push comes to shove and TO absolutely need a RHD, wouldn't they be better off moving futures for UFA's? Toronto is effectively all in. Losing Kadri but getting Petry at best is lateral in the sense that yes they improve their RHD but down the middle they get weaker. They need both.

I dunno, value can be disputed till the cows come home I agree but the idea, basis of the trade, IMO isn't right. Lets not forget this is a division rival and a team that the Habs rarely trade with for a reason. Aside from smallish deals, teams rarely make trades in division (old 5 team division) and Toronto and MTL are absolute rivals as well. Plekanec being the "picks for playoff depth" exception that any team can look the other way on as the impact was really low for both teams and I think both teams new what would happen the following year anyway.

A 40-point RHD is worth the same as a 60-point C, especially to a team that just replaced that C with a marquee UFA in Tavares. As I said, maybe there's another smaller piece (Byron?) that needs to be included, but the deal would help both clubs.

As for the division-rivalry crap, let's get our heads out of the 1980s. When the league was 6 teams, they all traded freely with one another. Perhaps that's what ails the NHL most of all -- that and the fact that GMs are such wussies that they won't use offer sheets to keep their colleagues in check. If there were risks to losing RFAs, these idiots would be a lot more judicious about spending like drunks on UFAs. But that's a battle for another day.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:37 a.m.
A 40-point RHD is worth the same as a 60-point C, especially to a team that just replaced that C with a marquee UFA in Tavares. As I said, maybe there's another smaller piece (Byron?) that needs to be included, but the deal would help both clubs.

As for the division-rivalry crap, let's get our heads out of the 1980s. When the league was 6 teams, they all traded freely with one another. Perhaps that's what ails the NHL most of all -- that and the fact that GMs are such wussies that they won't use offer sheets to keep their colleagues in check. If there were risks to losing RFAs, these idiots would be a lot more judicious about spending like drunks on UFAs. But that's a battle for another day.

A 40 point dman? Petry has done it once in his career and never hit 30+ before it, is also 30 years old.

Kadri has multiple 30+ goals seasons to his name, Multiple 50+ point seasons, is 27 years old and signed to a very reasonable contract.

Center depth is key to a Stanley cup. Moreso than defense. (But still important obviously)

I've fought tooth and nail for Petry as a player being good so I have no bias against him at all but I won't pump his tires more than is warranted. The same will go for Kadri, who despite my seemingly defense of him, can't stand the rat one bit.

As for the 1980's crap, who is charge of most NHL teams?? People who are from the 1980's and still have an affinity for it. We've finally in 2018 pretty much seen the end of the goon in hockey, nearly 15 years after they probably lost their place in it. (2005 lockout) I don't disagree with you, who gives a darn which team your trading with as long as it makes you better but you and I are not the ones in charge. The guys with 1980's type mentality are. There is a reason broadcasters and media people still bring it up. Its still happening in todays NHL and GM's nowadays still think that way. Maybe younger GM's like Dubas and Chayka will break that mold but as long as there are meat heads like Chiarelli and Bergevin, it will still be used as an excuse.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll