Forums/Armchair-GM

ek signing in edm debate

Created by: TheTinkler
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2018
Published: Aug. 19, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Either they aquire karlsson through free agencies or trade I think he would love edmonton i get the taxes are higher but he will be making huge money 11 mill plus a year and edmonton has what I think will be the best team in the world one day, Edmonton needs 3 things a top 6 winger cam talbot to come up big and a number one defenceman and I know people will say they got a great young dcore doesnt mean they are good enough to win with I think they got more top 6 forwards in there system coming up so karlsson is the answer to this team woes in my opinion would love to hear your opinions on this or have a debate about it but at this point in karlssons career id think he would be looking towards his legacy now and trying to win multiple cups.
Trades
OTT
    whatever they workout or sign him as a ufa.
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$81,165,331$0$2,730,000-$1,665,331
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,950,000$1,950,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Quoting: Hedman77
    Why is this a debate? Oilers can’t afford Karlsson even at his current cap hit

Sekera = LTIR

next year is, of course, another question entirely
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
    Quoting: TheTinkler
    Saying he will pick a u.s team cause the media is scary isnt a valid point

I said that is what I think, it is my opinion. And it is a valid point that having to deal with (not just him but his wife) having to deal with the media would weight into any decision of where he would sign. Like I said you are kidding yourself if you dont think this is discussed
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Good for you to get the discussion going. Your post basically asks TWO questions: (1) would Karlsson likely sign in Edmonton?, and (2) if so, what is a reasonable price for the Oilers to pay for him? Most of the responses address only the first one. I'm in agreement with the commenters that EK is only likely to go to an American team and probably one in a no-state-tax state (Florida, Texas, Nevada). Florida is out as a personal matter (as I know all too well -- I accidentally traded him there earlier this summer and BOY did I hear about it) so you're looking at Tampa, Dallas and Las Vegas. One of the problems is his presumed $4.5M raise next year, so cap-close teams have a problem. As far as the second question goes, I think Ottawa fans are going to be disappointed at the return if/when EK gets traded. Edmonton would like to part with Russell or Sekera if only to lessen the cap problem but both have NTC's. So Edmonton is left offering a package like a first and second and a defense prospect like Persson or Mantha and a wing prospect like one of the three Russians -- a package which, in my opinion, is what EK is worth in this market.

Hey thank you no you are right the question is so much deeper than just one answer I think I f edmonton wanted karlsson the issue would have to be trading RNH or drais which could hurt the team a lot but I think they would be safe ay center and there wings have a bright future cause drais spent half the season on mcdavids wing anyways so I would argue drias could be the key but he is tough to part with also its a tough one im excited to hear youre answers.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
    Quoting: coga16
    I said that is what I think, it is my opinion. And it is a valid point that having to deal with (not just him but his wife) having to deal with the media would weight into any decision of where he would sign. Like I said you are kidding yourself if you dont think this is discussed

Im not disagreeing man im just not kidding myself when i say i think there are bigger factors than just that that they are discussing thats what im saying.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:15 p.m.
    Im not disagreeing man im just not kidding myself when i say i think there are bigger factors than just that that they are discussing thats what im saying.

The team, the money, the years of contract security, the taxes, the quality of life living in that city, the media attention privacy, etc etc. All of this would be considered. When Iginla signed in Colorado all that came into play but what sold him was the minor hockey programs for his kids to play.

Thats was my point with Karlsson in Edmonton, I just dont see him wanting to have to deal with everything that is attached with playing in another Canadian market that is not Ottawa
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
    Quoting: coga16
    The team, the money, the years of contract security, the taxes, the quality of life living in that city, the media attention privacy, etc etc. All of this would be considered. When Iginla signed in Colorado all that came into play but what sold him was the minor hockey programs for his kids to play.

Thats was my point with Karlsson in Edmonton, I just dont see him wanting to have to deal with everything that is attached with playing in another Canadian market that is not Ottawa

I mean if he wants quality of life I agree hard to compare to ottawa which has very high quality of life cause edmonton has such average quality of life in comparison amd taxes can play a factor I dont see how contract security matters i think he signs almost same anywhere he plays the price and bonuses will be high canada isnt some far off land where all the teams could disintagrate from a communist uprising and media is tough I agree but we dont know any of that so lets move the discuss towards does the team draw his interest does he like the roster will he see a future there does he see himself winning a cup.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:27 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Hey thank you no you are right the question is so much deeper than just one answer I think I f edmonton wanted karlsson the issue would have to be trading RNH or drais which could hurt the team a lot but I think they would be safe ay center and there wings have a bright future cause drais spent half the season on mcdavids wing anyways so I would argue drias could be the key but he is tough to part with also its a tough one im excited to hear youre answers.

The salary cap is not an issue this year (just put Sekera on LTIR), but you should see where you are by running a projection for next year assuming Karlsson's hit is $11M. That doesn't automatically make a Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins trade necessary, but it does create problems. If you can't unload Russell, then thinking about trading RNH makes sense. When I suggested (in a comment on a Carolina post) RNH for Pesce, Teravainen, McKeown and Nedeljkovic, I got one snarky reply asking whether I was RNH's agent or mother.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:33 p.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    The salary cap is not an issue this year (just put Sekera on LTIR), but you should see where you are by running a projection for next year assuming Karlsson's hit is $11M. That doesn't automatically make a Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins trade necessary, but it does create problems. If you can't unload Russell, then thinking about trading RNH makes sense. When I suggested (in a comment on a Carolina post) RNH for Pesce, Teravainen, McKeown and Nedeljkovic, I got one snarky reply asking whether I was RNH's agent or mother.

I know its terrible on here sometimes its hard to have any debate cause people are quick to insult or degrade or troll kind of sucks cause you would think a bunch of hockey fans could sit and talk here and debate about it but no its like a broken record just same crap over and over sometimes but then you get good debates on here sometimes too. I agree its tough to make that deal but i think they are going to want a center in the trade and before people jump in and say they have no ground to stand on the issue with that is if by some miracle they can convince him to re-sign and then you lost out on a franchise player and no one is going to help tampa for cheap so if they want that deal they are going to have to drop cap on a deal thats one sided against them my opinion im no ones mother or agent lol
    OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll