Forums/Armchair-GM

KetOilers - Trimming the fat

Created by: Justenv
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 18, 2018
Published: Sep. 18, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
trim $ spent on bottom end D/F. Lucic stays 1 more yr, Sekera healthy ?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
6$4,750,000
1$1,500,000
3$3,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,000,000
2$1,750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Chiasson, Alex
1$750,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (BUF)
EDM
  1. 2019 5th round pick (NYI)
EDM
  1. 2019 4th round pick (PHI)
ARI
  1. Strome, Ryan
  2. 2020 5th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$79,500,000$72,755,332$0$730,000$6,744,668

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW
UFA
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA
Chiasson, Alex
$750,000$750,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 18, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Big John T
Russell isn't moving with his NMC. Maybe Kyle Dumbass thinks he got lucky and buys him for Toronto seeing as he is a Zaitsev+, and Russell will waive for Toronto if Kyle Dumbass gives out an extension

Lucic will be tricky too. He's at the age where he cares most about starting a family. He won't have better linemates on any other team. His salary won't change. Maybe in the last year or two of his contract.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tatatavares
Russell isn't moving with his NMC. Maybe Kyle Dumbass thinks he got lucky and buys him for Toronto seeing as he is a Zaitsev+, and Russell will waive for Toronto if Kyle Dumbass gives out an extension

Lucic will be tricky too. He's at the age where he cares most about starting a family. He won't have better linemates on any other team. His salary won't change. Maybe in the last year or two of his contract.

I can't for the life of me understand what you are getting at here. Kyle Dubas is a dumbass for what reason? Taking a good team and making it much better by wooing the biggest free agent signing in the current era of the NHL? I don't understand.

As for Lucic, he played a large stretch of last year on the 3rd line, you can find better linemates than the Oilers 3rd line on almost every other team in the NHL.
tatatavares liked this.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 12:15 p.m.
Justenv
His NMC turns into a limited NTC in 2019 so he is technically moveable, same with Sekera but with Sekera's injury history almost no chance he goes. Would Russell accept a trade to Buff? That's a fair question but in 2019 one of him or Sekera needs to go. Jones/Lagesson should be pushing and money will get tight.

Thx for commenting.
tatatavares liked this.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.

Starting a family? the guy already has 3 kids, so its safe to say he's well past starting it lol
tatatavares liked this.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.
Big John T
Quoting: ON3M4N
Starting a family? the guy already has 3 kids, so its safe to say he's well past starting it lol

So they're kids with memories instead of babies.

You know what I'm saying. Buying a house, enrolling them in school, letting them keep their friends.
Planning around them instead of career achievements.

Wherever he went, he wanted term + a NMC.

There could be a fit where he doesn't feel like he's losing something, but I don't think it'll be early in his contract. He waives his NMC and he loses his right to not be traded (see PK Subban), so he'd only waive where he gets an extension
Sep. 18, 2018 at 2:24 p.m.
Big John T
Edited Sep. 18, 2018 at 2:33 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I can't for the life of me understand what you are getting at here. Kyle Dubas is a dumbass for what reason? Taking a good team and making it much better by wooing the biggest free agent signing in the current era of the NHL? I don't understand.

As for Lucic, he played a large stretch of last year on the 3rd line, you can find better linemates than the Oilers 3rd line on almost every other team in the NHL.

The Leafs D is among the worst in exiting their own zone. (specifically Hainsey, Zaitsev, Carrick. Gardiner is dead average on exits/entrances, he just goes on his belly and gives up huge goals. Dermott is great)

Leafs Team D rankings

19th in the league. Between MTL without Shea Weber or Carey Price, and Detroit during their worst season in decades

D takes longer to ripen than forwards. Leafs are at the cap. The D is definitively not good enough to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.
No planning ahead has been done, and it may get worse with Zaitsev staying as he's overpaid while Gardiner and Hainsey walk as UFA

Kyle Dumbas could get lucky and acquire D for free.
More likely a move is required just to tread water, and that either means moving Nylander for less than he's worth or it means losing Gardiner at the same time which will hardly be a big net gain for defence.
Most likely is that D will only be improved by taking chances on younger players who have high ceilings, which needs multiple prospects and time.
So Kyle Dumb will be burning years of Matthews waiting.

Right now, I expect inaction. Like the kind that burned JVR and Bozak for a return of ZILCH. I had hoped that it was the decision by committee causing the lack of attention, but odds are now that the future will look like the past.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
Banned
The Leafs D is among the worst in exiting their own zone. (specifically Hainsey, Zaitsev, Carrick. Gardiner is dead average on exits/entrances, he just goes on his belly and gives up huge goals. Dermott is great)

Leafs Team D rankings

19th in the league. Between MTL without Shea Weber or Carey Price, and Detroit during their worst season in decades

D takes longer to ripen than forwards. Leafs are at the cap. The D is definitively not good enough to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.
No planning ahead has been done, and it may get worse with Zaitsev staying as he's overpaid while Gardiner and Hainsey walk as UFA

Kyle Dumbas could get lucky and acquire D for free.
More likely a move is required just to tread water, and that either means moving Nylander for less than he's worth or it means losing Gardiner at the same time which will hardly be a big net gain for defence.
Most likely is that D will only be improved by taking chances on younger players who have high ceilings, which needs multiple prospects and time.
So Kyle Dumb will be burning years of Matthews waiting.

Right now, I expect inaction. Like the kind that burned JVR and Bozak for a return of ZILCH. I had hoped that it was the decision by committee causing the lack of attention, but odds are now that the future will look like the past.

I chuckle when I hear super fans talk about how bad or good stuff is but in reality you don't play hockey, never have played hockey and don't really understand the game beyond when the puck goes in its a goal. I am not saying you are one of those guys but you are just wrong on many of your assessments here.

1) TO finished 12th for goals against last season
2) They had the lead more than I think every other team than Tampa (Who allowed more goals than TO did last season)
3) Toronto had far more high danger scoring chances than they allowed which contributed to them having one of the best goal differentials in the entire league
4) TO had the 11th best PK in the league as well
5) Toronto did not play well against Boston in the 1st round, (My take is they had trouble handling the pressure of not being an under dog. Many felt they were the better team than Boston but they fell flat and had trouble at times)
6) Tavares makes Toronto much better defensively. (If you look at shot charts of our defence, the slot is often red with unblocked shots, that is the centres fault not the defence. Same with point shots. Better team defence from centre and wingers will make a huge difference)
7) Babcock is part of the problem here but I think he's also part of the solution. (He relies on vets too much and that results in guys like Polak and Hainsey getting too much ice time over guys who are just hands down better. Carrick is the best shot suppressor on the team, he just needs a full season to prove he belongs.)
8) I think trading Gardiner is a smart move, move him for assets that will help the Leafs win 3-5 years from now. Its better than watching him walk.
9) Dubas beat Lamoreillo with Tavares, then swindled him into taking Martin. He let JVR walk and get immensely over paid and the same with Bozak.
10) Toronto can win the cup with this lineup (Not saying it will happen this year but it could, Pittsburgh's D when they 1 the first of the back to backs was much worse than TO's.)

So you calling Dubas a Dumbass is unfounded and quite honestly makes you look like you have no clue what you are talking about.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.
Big John T
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Talking like a born loser

You sound satisfied losing in the 1st round every year. Keep it up
Sep. 18, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
Banned
You sound satisfied losing in the 1st round every year. Keep it up

Who are you a fan of anyways? Or are you just a run of the mill angry kid in his basement yelling at any leaf fan who'll listen. I want the Leafs to win and win for a long time. Making a million trades because whatever it is you are trying to say (Seriously dude, talk in complete sentences, people will take you far more seriously.), I can't even finish this sentence because I really don't have any clear idea what you are on about. The only thing that I can definitively say is that you don't like Kyle Dubas.

Anyways stuff and things, who cares, I doubt you read any of this anyways.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll