Forums/Armchair-GM

Fletcher throwing a Bone to Kapanen

Created by: ThatGuy
Team: 2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 3, 2018
Published: Dec. 3, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am seeing a lot of low-ball offers to Kapanen on here. If he continues to play the way he has been playing, TML won't be able to afford him.

Fletcher does this after Marner and Matthews sign their big contracts and things get a lot tighter in Toronto.

This is an extremely passive offer. Flyer Ownership have been known to be much more aggressive (e.g. Weber and Ryan Kesler)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,000,000
Trades
PHI
    Rights to Kapanen
    TOR
    1. 2020 2nd round pick (PHI)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    14$8,100,000$46,396,666$0$2,945,000-$38,296,666
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $4,137,500$4,137,500
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,333,333$4,333,333
    C
    UFA - 3
    $2,350,000$2,350,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $780,833$780,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LD, LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,345,000$2,345,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
    My Balls Itch
    Toronto says screw off
    TheDream_43 liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.
    GMCF is too much of a pro to make an offersheet. You'd need a ballsy rookie, or a desperate GM who's job is on the line to make that bold of a move.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:15 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Quoting: wabit
    GMCF is too much of a pro to make an offersheet. You'd need a ballsy rookie, or a desperate GM who's job is on the line to make that bold of a move.

hahahahahah I know..

Ownership is desperate! And they've done it in the past.

Fletcher is also pretty ballsy
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:24 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I actually think the Leafs signs all their RFAs next summer.....and trade Nylander for cap reasons.
    wabit liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:27 p.m.
    Quoting: ThatGuy
    hahahahahah I know..

Ownership is desperate! And they've done it in the past.

Fletcher is also pretty ballsy

He's really not. He'd try and work a trade, sure, but he's not going to go around burning bridges with other GMs. He's also been dealing with being in cap hell with MN the last few years. So he knows if he opens the offersheet door he'll pay for it later on.

I'd like to see offersheets be a tool that GMs used. but the gentleman's agreement has made them nonexistent.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Quoting: palhal
    I actually think the Leafs signs all their RFAs next summer.....and trade Nylander for cap reasons.

I think you are right.

Nylander's front-loaded contract makes him so much more valuable. After July 1st, teams are only going to have to pay him 21.7M over the next 5 years (4.34 per year).
    palhal liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:34 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    He's really not. He'd try and work a trade, sure, but he's not going to go around burning bridges with other GMs. He's also been dealing with being in cap hell with MN the last few years. So he knows if he opens the offersheet door he'll pay for it later on.

I'd like to see offersheets be a tool that GMs used. but the gentleman's agreement has made them nonexistent.

Yeah, i get the gentleman's agreement. Leave my RFA's alone and i'll leave yours alone.

But it's desperate times in Philly for some reason.. and they've done it in the past.

I guess one of the major reason Hextall got fired was because he used a passive approach. And now, TSN is making Fletcher out in being this aggressive Gm.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
    I think you are right.

Nylander's front-loaded contract makes him so much more valuable. After July 1st, teams are only going to have to pay him 21.7M over the next 5 years (4.34 per year).

Teams that aren't penny pinches won't really even care to wait until the signing bonus is paid. The AAV and real money ($35m/5) totals are roughly equal, but the $6.9m/yr cap hit is where the value is. I still think it's slightly too high, but it's manageable.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:42 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Teams that aren't penny pinches won't really even care to wait until the signing bonus is paid. The AAV and real money ($35m/5) totals are roughly equal, but the $6.9m/yr cap hit is where the value is. I still think it's slightly too high, but it's manageable.

It's closer to 7 than 6.9 lol. It's like when you go to the store and it says 6.99 and you say "i paid 6$ for it" but regardless, I think it's a fair deal.

I'd say over half the teams in the league are somewhat budget conscious.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
    Yeah, i get the gentleman's agreement. Leave my RFA's alone and i'll leave yours alone.

But it's desperate times in Philly for some reason.. and they've done it in the past.

TSN is making Fletcher out to being an aggressive Gm and the major reason of Hextall firing was due to his passive approach. But honestly I don't know much of him

He's aggressive in trades and FA signings; he'll burn through 2nd's like they are candy for instance. Offersheets don't really match up with how he works. He has a good reputation with the media, players, agents, and other GMs; its why he can do some of the things he's done.

The big mistake would be making him go all in this season. Let him sell off the rentals Philly has at the TDL, get the HC he wants this offseason, then start to retool the team in the image he wants via trades and free agency.
    ThatGuy liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:51 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    He's aggressive in trades and FA signings; he'll burn through 2nd's like they are candy for instance. Offersheets don't really match up with how he works. He has a good reputation with the media, players, agents, and other GMs; its why he can do some of the things he's done.

The big mistake would be making him go all in this season. Let him sell off the rentals Philly has at the TDL, get the HC he wants this offseason, then start to retool the team in the image he wants via trades and free agency.

Oh ok, I see what you mean! That's a fair assessment of him.

but yeah, philly is in a weird spot. They've got some really good pieces but it's just not working for some reason. I wonder what kind of splash he's going to make
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
    It's closer to 7 than 6.9 lol. It's like when you go to the store and it says 6.99 and you say "i paid 6$ for it" but regardless, I think it's a fair deal.

I'd say over half the teams in the league are somewhat budget conscious.

I agree, but this isn't a cap dump where the player is only making $1m but his AAV is $6m. Even the budget conscious teams shouldn't have a problem paying Nylander (even with his $8.5m signing bonus due).

And to get Tor to pay that money will cost whoever he's traded to more in trade. The Tor GM isn't going to say just buy me lunch and we'll call it even.
    ThatGuy liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I think you are right.

I believe it's actual 24.7m but you're right, it's a great deal for any Leaf trade partner,,,,even if the 7m cap is a bit high. I don't know why more ACGMs can't see this. So many think because he has signed for the Leafs, he's going to stay. Signing Tavares and the emergence of Marner looks like it cap improbable to KEEP Nylaneder. Dubas was right, "We can and we will" (resign everyone). Didn't say he could keep everyone. Shirley, Shirley, Nylander knows this too.
    Now even if Nylander stays a Leaf, some other players will have to leave due to cap reasons. I would rather just get rid of one player, Nylander than trade a bunch of others to cap compliant. We'll see.
    ThatGuy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll