Forums/Armchair-GM

Stecher and Goldobin

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2019
Published: Jan. 30, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Idea from Rodzikhockey93 and I added my own idea with Brown for Goldobin deal.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$71,399,444$2,550,000$5,612,500$8,100,556

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Banned
But why?

Zaitsev is definitely better than Stecher, and Brown is either on par or more valuable than Goldobin.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
I doubt that Stetcher goes anywhere. He's been our best D-man this year. Try Tanev, but he's the only RHD on our team that we're trading that has any real value.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: LoganOllivier
But why?

Zaitsev is definitely better than Stecher, and Brown is either on par or more valuable than Goldobin.

We save 4mil dollars while getting younger. I like Zaitsev as well but I see him being moved. This would be a good money move and also Stecher is better puck mover than Zaitsev from what Ive seen. Not that Zaitsev is bad but Stecher is better.
NucksFanForLife liked this.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: NucksFanForLife
I doubt that Stetcher goes anywhere. He's been our best D-man this year. Try Tanev, but he's the only RHD on our team that we're trading that has any real value.

He might.. I doubt Dubas would go after Tanev but he would target Stecher. I just copied trade from Rodzikhockey93 and added my little thing. I think Stecher would be nice addition to Toronto.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 9:55 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: SammyT_51
We save 4mil dollars while getting younger. I like Zaitsev as well but I see him being moved. This would be a good money move and also Stecher is better puck mover than Zaitsev from what Ive seen. Not that Zaitsev is bad but Stecher is better.

Stecher isn't good defensively and he has very little offense. He's also much smaller than Zaitsev and gets pushed around a tad too much. We can do a lot better than Stecher.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:07 a.m.
But why?

How is Zaitsev better than Stetcher? The only numbers that Zaitsev can top Stetcher in are blocked shots, hits, and dZs%. Stetcher has better CF%, CF Rel, FF%, FF Rel, oiSH%, oiSV%, PDO, TK, GV, Thru%, GF/60, GA/60, and Pts/60. All in only 1:30 fewer ES TOI. Zaitsev only really plays more because he kills a ton of penalties, but is the worst Leaf at it. Stetcher has been impressive when given a chance to kill penalties, his unit scoring twice as many goals as the opposing power play. He's also played 22+ minutes of ice time when needed and has excelled in that position, so he can play more than he's being given now. I know I'm a Canucks fan, but honestly I'd like to know why you think Zaitsev is better. Also, Stetcher has a better contract by far.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
He might.. I doubt Dubas would go after Tanev but he would target Stecher. I just copied trade from Rodzikhockey93 and added my little thing. I think Stecher would be nice addition to Toronto.

He would be, and unlike some, I think that Stetcher is better than Zaitsev overall. Even defensively. His size is a question, because he is small, but pairing with a guy like Muzzin could help him not be pushed around as much. I just see a lack of RHD talent in Vancouver and their prospect pool and doubt that Stetcher will be traded.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.
Banned
How is Zaitsev better than Stetcher? The only numbers that Zaitsev can top Stetcher in are blocked shots, hits, and dZs%. Stetcher has better CF%, CF Rel, FF%, FF Rel, oiSH%, oiSV%, PDO, TK, GV, Thru%, GF/60, GA/60, and Pts/60. All in only 1:30 fewer ES TOI. Zaitsev only really plays more because he kills a ton of penalties, but is the worst Leaf at it. Stetcher has been impressive when given a chance to kill penalties, his unit scoring twice as many goals as the opposing power play. He's also played 22+ minutes of ice time when needed and has excelled in that position, so he can play more than he's being given now. I know I'm a Canucks fan, but honestly I'd like to know why you think Zaitsev is better. Also, Stetcher has a better contract by far.

He is the most responsible defenceman in his own end on the Leafs roster, I do think Gardiner is a terrible partner for him but that is a different issue. When Dermott and Zaitsev are together, they have extremely good Corsi numbers, mainly because Dermott and Zaitsev together do a lot more skating with the puck. With Gardiner, Jake just sends the puck up ice and often causes turnovers that result in Zaitsev breaking up odd man rushes.

I am not at all saying Zaitsev is a star, he's a middle pair defenceman. Stecher is a health scratch on a good team.

Also, I'd wager if you did the digging, you'd find that the difficulty in competition is much harder for Zaitsev than Stetcher.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:18 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
He would be, and unlike some, I think that Stetcher is better than Zaitsev overall. Even defensively. His size is a question, because he is small, but pairing with a guy like Muzzin could help him not be pushed around as much. I just see a lack of RHD talent in Vancouver and their prospect pool and doubt that Stetcher will be traded.

Surely. But I think Zaitsev would be great for Vancouver. He isnt bad player. (he played with Gardiner for last 2yrs.. what can it say..) I would go as far as to say that he is much better than this. I feel like if he is paired with two-way guy like Juolevi on 2nd pairing there would be wonders happening. He is very good offensive defenceman but was misplayed so much it hurts. Zaitsev per report from Johnston would be likely moving. I think this deal helps both teams. Stecher obviously would be great addition to Toronto (he wouldnt be pushed around so much with Rielly as his LHD partner who can fight and hit) as much as Zaitsev would be great addition to Canucks.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
He is the most responsible defenceman in his own end on the Leafs roster, I do think Gardiner is a terrible partner for him but that is a different issue. When Dermott and Zaitsev are together, they have extremely good Corsi numbers, mainly because Dermott and Zaitsev together do a lot more skating with the puck. With Gardiner, Jake just sends the puck up ice and often causes turnovers that result in Zaitsev breaking up odd man rushes.

I am not at all saying Zaitsev is a star, he's a middle pair defenceman. Stecher is a health scratch on a good team.

Also, I'd wager if you did the digging, you'd find that the difficulty in competition is much harder for Zaitsev than Stetcher.

I gotta disagree on healthy scratch part. Stecher is definitely a top-4 talent. He is still young and developing. Stecher and Zaitsev would help both teams similarly well.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
Banned
I gotta disagree on healthy scratch part. Stecher is definitely a top-4 talent. He is still young and developing. Stecher and Zaitsev would help both teams similarly well.

Everyone is a top 4 defenceman these days.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Everyone is a top 4 defenceman these days.

Oh no, everybody not. But top-4 guys should be recognized as top-4 guys and bottom pairing guys should be recognized as bottom pairing guys, guys like Gudas for example..
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Banned
Oh no, everybody not. But top-4 guys should be recognized as top-4 guys and bottom pairing guys should be recognized as bottom pairing guys, guys like Gudas for example..

You see anyone who is a 2nd pair defenceman is also a top 4 and if you are a top 4 you are worth so much more than you actually are. Stetcher is never going to be a top pair guy, he is a middle pair at best and on many defences he's probably a bottom pair guy. He's more of a bottom 4 than a top 4. Much like Zaitsev, other than Ziatsev is bigger and stronger and can clear the front of the net better. All important things.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Banned

Also Gudas is definitely a bottom pair guy. He's just a younger Polak.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.

Yes but no. Stecher had to run the top line for half the season last year when Edler and Tanev were out and did exceptionally well playing 21-22 minutes a night and even up to 26 and 27. He played against other teams top lines and was very impressive. He shouldn't be scratched on any team. Have you checked out who Stecher has to play with every night this year? Pouliot. I know that Gardiner isn't good defensively (though he's better than some Leafs fans give him credit for) but Pouliot isn't an upgrade over Gardiner. It's just hard to ignore that Vancouver scores more goals than Toronto and allows fewer goals when Stecher is on the ice as opposed to Zaitsev. We have Markstrom, and Petterson/Boeser/Horvat are our only scoring forwards. As compared to Andersen and Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Kapanen/Kadri/Nylander. And Stetcher was very impressive in his sophomore season with Edler when paired with him. Zaitsev isn't bad. He just has no offence at all, gives the puck away too much, and can't kill penalties. Plus his contract hurts his value, which could be very high if it was 1.5-2 million lower.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
Banned
Yes but no. Stecher had to run the top line for half the season last year when Edler and Tanev were out and did exceptionally well playing 21-22 minutes a night and even up to 26 and 27. He played against other teams top lines and was very impressive. He shouldn't be scratched on any team. Have you checked out who Stecher has to play with every night this year? Pouliot. I know that Gardiner isn't good defensively (though he's better than some Leafs fans give him credit for) but Pouliot isn't an upgrade over Gardiner. It's just hard to ignore that Vancouver scores more goals than Toronto and allows fewer goals when Stecher is on the ice as opposed to Zaitsev. We have Markstrom, and Petterson/Boeser/Horvat are our only scoring forwards. As compared to Andersen and Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Kapanen/Kadri/Nylander. And Stetcher was very impressive in his sophomore season with Edler when paired with him. Zaitsev isn't bad. He just has no offence at all, gives the puck away too much, and can't kill penalties. Plus his contract hurts his value, which could be very high if it was 1.5-2 million lower.

You are talking about a stretch for the Canucks where they lost 10 in a row or something. He is not a top pair guy and should never be.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
You are talking about a stretch for the Canucks where they lost 10 in a row or something. He is not a top pair guy and should never be.

I agree, but neither should Zaitsev. Stecher's at best a no. 4 D-man, and a bottom pairing guy on a legit contender, though he'd be a no. 4 on Toronto. No, specifically, it was a 9 game stretch when he averaged 22:56 and the team was 6-2-1. They were 9-8-2 in games when he played at least 21 minutes, and 15-26-8 when he didn't.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Banned
I agree, but neither should Zaitsev. Stecher's at best a no. 4 D-man, and a bottom pairing guy on a legit contender, though he'd be a no. 4 on Toronto. No, specifically, it was a 9 game stretch when he averaged 22:56 and the team was 6-2-1. They were 9-8-2 in games when he played at least 21 minutes, and 15-26-8 when he didn't.

Toronto for much of this season has been the 2nd best team in the NHL and Zaitsev has been a big part of that success. Despite the hate he gets, he's been a part of a lot of success with the Leafs. I think Stecher is best suited as a #5 defenceman, Zaitsev is I think #4 in most cases, I would trust him against tougher competition than Stretcher 100 out 100 times. So on the Leafs Stecher is still a bottom pair guy and I wouldn't even put him above Ozhiganov. And definitely he's behind Dermott.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 12:53 p.m.
Toronto for much of this season has been the 2nd best team in the NHL and Zaitsev has been a big part of that success. Despite the hate he gets, he's been a part of a lot of success with the Leafs. I think Stecher is best suited as a #5 defenceman, Zaitsev is I think #4 in most cases, I would trust him against tougher competition than Stretcher 100 out 100 times. So on the Leafs Stecher is still a bottom pair guy and I wouldn't even put him above Ozhiganov. And definitely he's behind Dermott.

Sure, we can agree to disagree. Zaitsev is a shutdown guy, and I don't think he's good enough at it to be a top four guy. Guys like Pesce are, but that's a matter of opinion. We'll see five or so years down the road who ends up being better. BTW, Goulet is driving me nuts about Marner and Matthew's contracts. 7.5 and 9 is insanity. I've got to shut up and stop replying to him at this point. It's going nowhere.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Banned
Sure, we can agree to disagree. Zaitsev is a shutdown guy, and I don't think he's good enough at it to be a top four guy. Guys like Pesce are, but that's a matter of opinion. We'll see five or so years down the road who ends up being better. BTW, Goulet is driving me nuts about Marner and Matthew's contracts. 7.5 and 9 is insanity. I've got to shut up and stop replying to him at this point. It's going nowhere.

All good boss, we tend to disagree often on here but you are always respectful and thoughtful. And for that, I commend you and bid you a fantastic day, always. As for Goulet, he's happy living in 2009 when super star young players signed for 6.5 for 5 years.
NucksFanForLife and SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
All good boss, we tend to disagree often on here but you are always respectful and thoughtful. And for that, I commend you and bid you a fantastic day, always. As for Goulet, he's happy living in 2009 when super star young players signed for 6.5 for 5 years.

Thanks! And you too. This is what ACGM teams are about. Discussing players and their values, and if there’s a disagreement, the trade falls through. There’s no need to argue. Here’s to a low signing of Boeser, Marner, and Matthews!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll