Forums/Armchair-GM

How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Marc Bergevin

Created by: HabsRafiki
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2019
Published: Apr. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
L.A. undoes two mistakes and frees up $8M+ in cap space to take a serious run at Duchene, Panarin and/or Karlsson.

Kovalchuk might help the Habs powerplay (can't hurt) or could be bought out if he doesn't make the cut. Lehkonen and Domi would make up for Kovy's lackluster backchecking. Phaneuf would be bought out and live happily ever after in Hollywood.

Vilardi's back problems appear to be significant. Sweetener on the deal for the Habs is the potential that Vilardi gets healthy. If not, he ends up costing a 3rd rounder.

With Hughes coming in to New Jersey, either McLeod or Zacha is an odd man out. Mueller is a versatile Dman who can play both sides. Byron gives the Devils some much-needed speed and Fleury is a promising RHD.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$725,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,400,000
2$2,900,000
3$2,900,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
3$1,800,000
3$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,250,000
3$1,000,000
4$4,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kaski, Oliwer
3$900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Mueller, Mirco [RFA Rights]
  2. Zacha, Pavel [RFA Rights]
NJD
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Fleury, Cale
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
MTL
  1. Kovalchuk, Ilya
  2. Phaneuf, Dion
  3. Vilardi, Gabriel
  4. 2019 1st round pick (LAK)
  5. 2020 1st round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Alzner, Karl
  2. Hudon, Charles
  3. McCarron, Michael
  4. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
In 2019 -- Swap 15th for 5th
In 2020 -- Habs have option to swap first-round picks
* The 2021 2nd-round pick is conditional on Vilardi playing at least 80 NHL games by the end of the 20-21 season. Otherwise, it becomes a 3rd-round pick.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,780,476$0$2,500,000$5,719,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:02 a.m.
Sabres are elite
Zero incentive for LA to give up 5th OA, another lottery pick, and arguably their best prospect for a pile of junk and a downgrade in the draft
babouie and Billy739 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
hawkman
CHIARELLI , MILBURY , are not the gm in LA . WHY ???? would la take two players that cant crack a weekass nhl lineup who both cleared waivers multiple times and a horrible contract like alzners . at least you dream BIG
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:21 a.m.
live 4 shit rumors
Hey you have junk??? We have junk too !! Let’s trade and include all our first picks .. sure!! Could u imagine?
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:23 a.m.
Billy739
Keep Mccarron as before his injury he was the 3rd best player in Laval and one of the only ones trusted by the new coach down there proving it was our broken system run by Molson's hire Pre MB in Larry Carriere MTL assistant GM in charge of development replaced by Timmons in 2017 . Others dont know this and see Mccarron as worthless but another year with Bouchard and he could be Deslauriers Replacement and the heavyweight tough guy we need to protect KK,Poehling,Suzuki and Price .

Keep Alzner his buyouts 1.083m with one year of 2.4m over 4 years i believe it was which is easier to just buyout ourselves to make this complicated trade less yard sale feeling . (like things are just being thrown in because you dont want them anymore )

outside that Add in Byron because you are asking them to go from 5th overall in a stacked draft where either Turcotte ,Dach ,Podzinski or Cozens will be available and those are high end talent even though they are clearly not superstars like Kakko and Hughes will be,they could be All Star material

also they are giving up Vlardi so maybe MTL just gets the 5th overall pick in this because the odds of our pick being lower then 15th in 2020 is high if this deal happens while LAK will have given up a lot .

Phaneuf
Kovalchuk
Vlardi
1st in 2019 (5th overall )

Byron
Hudon
1st in 2019(15th)
1st in 2020
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
Keep Mccarron as before his injury he was the 3rd best player in Laval and one of the only ones trusted by the new coach down there proving it was our broken system run by Molson's hire Pre MB in Larry Carriere MTL assistant GM in charge of development replaced by Timmons in 2017 . Others dont know this and see Mccarron as worthless but another year with Bouchard and he could be Deslauriers Replacement and the heavyweight tough guy we need to protect KK,Poehling,Suzuki and Price .

Keep Alzner his buyouts 1.083m with one year of 2.4m over 4 years i believe it was which is easier to just buyout ourselves to make this complicated trade less yard sale feeling . (like things are just being thrown in because you dont want them anymore )

outside that Add in Byron because you are asking them to go from 5th overall in a stacked draft where either Turcotte ,Dach ,Podzinski or Cozens will be available and those are high end talent even though they are clearly not superstars like Kakko and Hughes will be,they could be All Star material

also they are giving up Vlardi so maybe MTL just gets the 5th overall pick in this because the odds of our pick being lower then 15th in 2020 is high if this deal happens while LAK will have given up a lot .

Phaneuf
Kovalchuk
Vlardi

Byron
Hudon
1st in 2019(15th)
1st in 2020

Nope, nada, Kings walk away
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:28 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: FoxHoleBinch
Hey you have junk??? We have junk too !! Let’s trade and include all our first picks .. sure!! Could u imagine?

i can see you clearly dont know enough to be in this section of the site lol

this is a site designed for people like myself and HabsRafiki to negotiate terms for potential deals.
it wasnt designed for hipsters to come online and take away more then they contribute from . . . .

if you got something to contribute by all means ,if not stop using the Armchair-GM section until you learn what a GM is and the concept behind how its applied to this site.

Sincerely - Someone Who Lives Life In Context,Not Fantasy
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:30 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Skyraider112
Zero incentive for LA to give up 5th OA, another lottery pick, and arguably their best prospect for a pile of junk and a downgrade in the draft

agreed

thank you for contributing to this site smile
its refreshing seeing people intelligently state something
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:50 a.m.
Quoting: Skyraider112

I would agree with you except L.A. doesn't really have the option of a long rebuild. They have Kopitar and Doughty under contract until the end of time and Brown and Carter are aging assets. Given the particulars of the L.A. market and the high ticket prices, and the fact that the Kings have missed the playoffs in three of the last five years and continue to get older, they're going to be pressed to ice a good team ASAP. To that end, Kovalchuk and Phaneuf are massive hurdles. And the difference between Montreal and L.A. is about 20% in taxes (but they get free healthcare!!! grin ). So freeing up $9M or so is the equivalent of allowing the Kings to get a Duchene or Panarin. What you that be worth to a team that was 30th in goals-for last season? Surely more than just 10 spots up the ladder in one draft.

The Vilardi ask was one that is reflective of the fact that he has fallen from 20th to 48th in the Hockey News Future Watch and only managed to play 4 games this season. Add to that the Kings other emerging rookie forwards -- Akil Thomas, Rasmus Kupari and Jaret Anderson-Dolan -- and using Vilardi to sweeten the deal, with not much risk if he actually makes it to the NHL.

OK, the second swap was an overreach. Initially, I had the 2019 swap and the Vilardi ask but I got greedy when I looked at what Byron brings.

Speaking of:

Byron is hardly junk. He had 31 points in 56 games. Had he played the full season, that translates to 45 points, tied with Doughty, the #3 scorer on the team. Byron's previous two seasons were 81 and 82 games respectively, so there's no reason to think he has trouble staying healthy. He is also an amazing player on the PK, which given L.A.'s 29th-place finish, should be a concern.

McCarron was a bust at centre, but he could make the NHL as a 3rd or 4th line RW. He's big and skates quite well now for a big man, now that he has worked on that. He will never be a dominant centreman because he is not fast enough to think through the position. But as big wingers go, there's still a lot of potential and he'd do better in the West as it is now the conference that is more crash-and-bang than the East.

Hudon is talented, but an enigma. He is fast and makes a lot happen in the offensive zone, but he can't seem to figure out Julien's checking scheme. But Given Luc Robitaille's fondness for late-round Quebecers, where better for a QMJHL sniper to get a chance to show his stuff?
Billy739 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: FoxHoleBinch

Byron is not "junk" and he is exactly what L.A. needs right now. By allowing the Kings to offload their mistakes on Montreal, they get to play in the UFA market, somewhere Montreal never will because of its lamentable taxation issues. When handed lemons.... take on bad contracts in return for draft picks. While I acknowledge that the 2020 swap was probably overreach, the 2019 swap and Vilardi would be a balanced risk both ways.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:02 a.m.
agreed

thank you for contributing to this site smile
its refreshing seeing people intelligently state something

I disagree that there's zero incentive. Hockey is the #4 sport in L.A. and they've been marginal for the past 5 years, missing the playoffs in 3 of them. With Duchene and Panarin among the UFAs available, they owe it to their fans to find some scoring and make the team competitive. There might be fans who would argue that the Kings need to build from youth, but keeping Kovy and Phaneuf also clogs that option. So there's an incentive. The question is only what are the Kings willing to part with to make it happen?
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:08 a.m.

Phaneuf
Kovalchuk
Vlardi

Byron
Hudon
1st in 2019(15th)
1st in 2020

Would the 2020 pick be conditional on Vilardi sticking in the NHL? Byron is the best player in the deal AND has the lowest salary.

Thank you for defending McCarron. I agree that he's close and, seeing what the Islanders do with that 4th line of theirs, I imagine a "thump" line of Deslaurier, Thompson and McCarron, though realistically, that will be Weal in the middle ... or maybe Poehling by mid-season. If the Habs wanted to go another way (not this trade), I would love to see them trade for Andrew Ladd and have Ladd-Weal/Poehling-McCarron/Deslaurier as the fourth liners.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:16 a.m.
Quoting: babouie
CHIARELLI , MILBURY , are not the gm in LA . WHY ???? would la take two players that cant crack a weekass nhl lineup who both cleared waivers multiple times and a horrible contract like alzners . at least you dream BIG

Do your homework, please. Byron played every game the last two seasons and played in every game this year for which he was available. You're right that Hudon couldn't beat out Drouin and Tatar for a top-line assignment, but he's still a very good offensive player. He needs a team that can use his speed and scoring, rather than expecting him to be a checker.

As for your Milbury comment, you've got cojones: it wasn't Montreal that traded for Phaneuf and signed Kovy to 3 years. That's 14.5% of your cap space!! Who looks crazy now?
Apr. 15, 2019 at 6:24 p.m.
hawkman
Quoting: HabsRafiki
Do your homework, please. Byron played every game the last two seasons and played in every game this year for which he was available. You're right that Hudon couldn't beat out Drouin and Tatar for a top-line assignment, but he's still a very good offensive player. He needs a team that can use his speed and scoring, rather than expecting him to be a checker.

As for your Milbury comment, you've got cojones: it wasn't Montreal that traded for Phaneuf and signed Kovy to 3 years. That's 14.5% of your cap space!! Who looks crazy now?

read the trade and what i wrote i said LA trade i did not mention anything about the byron trade . i like byron as a player . the LA gm that made those signing got fired by the way . And the reason i brought up MILBURY , CHIARELLI is because they both have made horrible trade after horrible trade . Milbury in my opinion is one of if not the worst GM in nhl history
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:00 p.m.
Billy739
I disagree that there's zero incentive. Hockey is the #4 sport in L.A. and they've been marginal for the past 5 years, missing the playoffs in 3 of them. With Duchene and Panarin among the UFAs available, they owe it to their fans to find some scoring and make the team competitive. There might be fans who would argue that the Kings need to build from youth, but keeping Kovy and Phaneuf also clogs that option. So there's an incentive. The question is only what are the Kings willing to part with to make it happen?

yes but Voynov is only out 1 more year so i wouldnt expect a long rebuild .
they got solid Goaltending and a decent amount of prospect depth with their issue being once they call up the Anderson -Dolans,Thomas,Prokhorkin,Clague and Peterson .
it really just leaves LAK with Vlardi and Durzi to develop as they've traded a lot of picks trying to remain a contender as such there's a drop off in talent to develop after you promote the 5 i mentioned first during a rebuild .

LAK is looking for Picks and Players under 25 looking for a fresh start.
they'd be looking more towards teams like the Islanders who have long standing issues with Ho-Sang who would have an immediate impact in LAK along with the picks they'd get making a trade like this taking on Cap and a player who's battled injury since before he was drafted much like Galchenyuk and Danault did so there's no telling how long his development will take .(chi did it right making sure Danault was healthy first , MTL pushed chucky regardless )

LAK isnt the biggest sport in CA but it doesnt have to be when CA population is more then the bottom 20 US state's combined .
LAK under Robatille and Blake will build the team right likely around Doughty ,Kopitar and the youth while later adding in Voynov to help speed along their rebuild given the dominating history Doughty and Voynov had it should help LAK's rebuild as their weak area is defensive depth ready and available in the next year or two as Clague will likely need atleast a half season in the AHL and Durzi is a good 2-2 1/2 seasons from being ready .

LAK right now are looking for a Brook but no teams including MTL will part with a mobile D who plays both sides as there's maybe a half Dozen top level D capable of that with Reilly and Gostisbhere being the most prominent . they could pass up on the 5th overall for a later pick in this draft specifically because thats where the D are outside Byram .
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.
Billy739

its a good idea though like i said
i just think there are a few to many bodies when Picks are what would be the only motivator here for LAK along with Prospects they hope to rebuild like a Ho-Sang ,Jensen(KHL),Gauthier , or a Bennet . (basically a top drafted prospect who didnt meet his expected projections but is still an NHL level player or capable of making the jump within reason .
Apr. 16, 2019 at 8:05 a.m.
Kings will not have Voynov on their team, too much baggage and backlash from fans
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 16, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.
Quoting: babouie
read the trade and what i wrote i said LA trade i did not mention anything about the byron trade . i like byron as a player . the LA gm that made those signing got fired by the way . And the reason i brought up MILBURY , CHIARELLI is because they both have made horrible trade after horrible trade . Milbury in my opinion is one of if not the worst GM in nhl history

My apologies. I was still revved up over the "junk" comment from above. Your comment was fair and I accept that isn't something you'd want to do.

Also, I think it was Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille who made both the Phaneuf trade (Fed 2018) and signed Kovalchuk (July 2018). They're still #2 and #1 in the Kings' org chart.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll