Forums/Armchair-GM

Blues Offseason 2019-20 v2

Created by: suburbanrobot
Team: 2019-20 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2019
Published: May 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Modified version of the last plan. This one is a little more exciting -- Schenn is traded for a few picks and the additional cap space allows St. Louis to snipe Skinner from Buffalo. Allen goes to MTL as the rumors currently suggest. Other moves are relatively minor.

The additional draft picks allow the Blues to reload their young talent pool after graduating multiple players to the NHL.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,600,000
4$5,000,000
2$1,000,000
6$4,250,000
3$2,000,000
1$925,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
5$8,000,000
Trades
STL
  1. 2019 1st round pick (CAR)
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
STL
  1. 2019 6th round pick (MTL)
STL
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
EDM
  1. Sanford, Zachary [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$71,012,927$12,928$915,000$11,987,073
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
I think Schenn wants to stay now that we are in the Stanley Cup Final.
suburbanrobot liked this.
May 25, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I think Schenn wants to stay now that we are in the Stanley Cup Final.

Yes, but is there space for him? Thomas and O’Reilly are gonna be the top 2 centers for the foreseeable future and I’m not sure if I’d pay the money for a 30 year old winger who has only broken 60 points just once.
May 25, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
Sam
This is interesting, but I’d say your way high on Edmundson. If he demands that much money, I’d trade him and find another defenseman who brings what he does.
May 25, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
Quoting: STLBlues17
Yes, but is there space for him? Thomas and O’Reilly are gonna be the top 2 centers for the foreseeable future and I’m not sure if I’d pay the money for a 30 year old winger who has only broken 60 points just once.

This is it...Schenn wants to be (and get paid like) a center. Blues have 6 centers as is. It's certainly not an urgent need to clear space, but if you can pick up good value and clear up some cap for a guy like Skinner, it's a win.
May 25, 2019 at 4:28 p.m.
This is interesting, but I’d say your way high on Edmundson. If he demands that much money, I’d trade him and find another defenseman who brings what he does.

Agree it seems high on Edmundson, but it's a reasonable bet. Before this season, no brainer he would have been worth every cent of this contract and then some. This is a league in which guys like Marco Scandella, Erik Gudbranson, etc get $4MM deals. The EW contract prediction tool has him at 6 yr/$4.7MM and to this point it has been undervaluing players. I think it's too high on Edmundson but not by much.

Overall could end up being a massive bargain, and if not it's not the kind of deal that's unmovable. Really it just comes down to the question of whether you see Edmundson as part of the core defense moving forward or not? Lock him in now and extend Pietrangelo, and you have your top 4 set for years to come.
May 25, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: suburbanrobot
Agree it seems high on Edmundson, but it's a reasonable bet. Before this season, no brainer he would have been worth every cent of this contract and then some. This is a league in which guys like Marco Scandella, Erik Gudbranson, etc get $4MM deals. The EW contract prediction tool has him at 6 yr/$4.7MM and to this point it has been undervaluing players. I think it's too high on Edmundson but not by much.

Overall could end up being a massive bargain, and if not it's not the kind of deal that's unmovable. Really it just comes down to the question of whether you see Edmundson as part of the core defense moving forward or not? Lock him in now and extend Pietrangelo, and you have your top 4 set for years to come.

I’ve seen the EW projection which is honestly the reason I want to trade him. He’s played close to 300 games and we know who he is and will he going forward. He’s proficient at 1v1 defense and brings a lot of toughness but he really struggles with turnovers and penalties and has poor underlying analytics. This would be okay if he had offensive upside, but with 4 full seasons we can say he doesn’t. I’m all for keeping him at his current price because he’s had a great playoffs, but if he demands this much I’d look to trade and maximize value.
May 25, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
I’ve seen the EW projection which is honestly the reason I want to trade him. He’s played close to 300 games and we know who he is and will he going forward. He’s proficient at 1v1 defense and brings a lot of toughness but he really struggles with turnovers and penalties and has poor underlying analytics. This would be okay if he had offensive upside, but with 4 full seasons we can say he doesn’t. I’m all for keeping him at his current price because he’s had a great playoffs, but if he demands this much I’d look to trade and maximize value.

I wonder if the Blues could get him for a shorter term (3-4 years) at closer to $3.5 AAV. That puts him out to his late 20s and if he performs well he's in line for a big raise either from the Blues or someone else. I'd happily take him for 3/$3.5. As it stands I agree that it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it's a bad bet.
May 25, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
Sam
I wonder if the Blues could get him for a shorter term (3-4 years) at closer to $3.5 AAV. That puts him out to his late 20s and if he performs well he's in line for a big raise either from the Blues or someone else. I'd happily take him for 3/$3.5. As it stands I agree that it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it's a bad bet.

Another thing to consider is that we’re almost definitely losing him in the expansion draft if we sign him. We’ll likely end up protecting:
1. Schwartz
2. Tarasenko
3. ROR
4. Thomas
5. Kyrou
6. Perron?
7. Sundqvist?
1. Pietro
2. Parayko
3. Dunn
May 25, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
Another thing to consider is that we’re almost definitely losing him in the expansion draft if we sign him. We’ll likely end up protecting:
1. Schwartz
2. Tarasenko
3. ROR
4. Thomas
5. Kyrou
6. Perron?
7. Sundqvist?
1. Pietro
2. Parayko
3. Dunn

Very true, but not sure how much it really changes the calculus on a new deal. There aren't many teams where he'd be part of the Top 3 so not sure that there's a lot of value in flipping his rights -- he's not getting protected anywhere. If anything it depresses his trade market. I guess Blues could just get him on a 1 year deal (arb if necessary) and then reevaluate after the expansion draft.

edit: Keep in mind that unless the Blues extend Pietrangelo this offseason, they won't have anything to protect as he'll be a UFA. That could allow them to protect a guy like Edmundson if they so chose and also resign Pietrangelo to his long term deal.
STLBlues17 liked this.
May 25, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.
Sam
Very true, but not sure how much it really changes the calculus on a new deal. There aren't many teams where he'd be part of the Top 3 so not sure that there's a lot of value in flipping his rights -- he's not getting protected anywhere. If anything it depresses his trade market. I guess Blues could just get him on a 1 year deal (arb if necessary) and then reevaluate after the expansion draft.

edit: Keep in mind that unless the Blues extend Pietrangelo this offseason, they won't have anything to protect as he'll be a UFA. That could allow them to protect a guy like Edmundson if they so chose and also resign Pietrangelo to his long term deal.

True, it won’t really matter if they lose him but then that begs the question: why give 4.6 to a guy who you’d have no issue losing for nothing?
May 25, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.
Sam

True, it won’t really matter if they lose him but then that begs the question: why give 4.6 to a guy who you’d have no issue losing for nothing?
May 25, 2019 at 6:33 p.m.
If you flip Schenn to Carolina, you have to get at least one roster player along with a 1st. He's a valuable commodity to whatever team has him, which makes him have more value than two picks. Gauthier and a 1st would do; however, that brings in one more RWer. We are already deep in prospects on RW, but Carolina doesn't have a LWer they'd move that I'd want. A team like Calgary would be perfect for him. If we could get Valimaki for him, you do it. If they balk at Valimaki, you move on and tell them a conference rival will have to pay.
May 26, 2019 at 2:11 a.m.

Schenn plays left wing, but looking at Schenn he hasn't hit a great amount of stats except for the 1 fluke 70 point season so he shouldn't make much more than 5 Million, but with the cap increase we should be able to fit him in comfortably.
May 26, 2019 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: rja40
If you flip Schenn to Carolina, you have to get at least one roster player along with a 1st. He's a valuable commodity to whatever team has him, which makes him have more value than two picks. Gauthier and a 1st would do; however, that brings in one more RWer. We are already deep in prospects on RW, but Carolina doesn't have a LWer they'd move that I'd want. A team like Calgary would be perfect for him. If we could get Valimaki for him, you do it. If they balk at Valimaki, you move on and tell them a conference rival will have to pay.

The idea is that the Blues are getting a roster player back, in the sense that they free up enough cap room to make a run at a guy like Skinner (or if they don't want to do a big contract, maybe Nyquist who seems like a VERY typical GMDA-style UFA). I seriously doubt Carolina is sending a 1st AND a premium prospect like Gauthier in exchange for 1 year of Schenn. I'd do Valimaki in a heartbeat but there is zero chance Calgary bites on that. You've got to be cognizant of what Schenn is going to bring in return with only 1 year left on his contract.

Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Schenn plays left wing, but looking at Schenn he hasn't hit a great amount of stats except for the 1 fluke 70 point season so he shouldn't make much more than 5 Million, but with the cap increase we should be able to fit him in comfortably.

Matt Duchene is about to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 8/$9.0. Duchene is a better player, full stop. But Schenn is coming off of a Stanley Cup team (hopefully one that won!), is a couple of years younger, and has no injury concerns. Assuming he plays close to his career average next season and keeping in mind that the price of UFAs goes up every year due to cap inflation, is there any question that Schenn is going to pull 8 years and at least $7.5 AAV? Again using EW tool as a rough guide (far from perfect but at least it's an objective starting point), if he were going UFA today he'd pull 8/$9.0.

The Blues could choose to fit that in their cap if they see Schenn as a key core guy moving forward. Personally I don't -- looking down the road we have 1C and 2C on lockdown between Thomas and ROR. $7.0 (if the Blues can even get him for that) is an incredibly high spend on a 3C. I think the Blues are better off getting a 1st back this year, signing a UFA winger, and reloading the minor league clubs with talent that can continue to sustain a winning team for many years to come.
May 26, 2019 at 1:51 p.m.
The idea is that the Blues are getting a roster player back, in the sense that they free up enough cap room to make a run at a guy like Skinner (or if they don't want to do a big contract, maybe Nyquist who seems like a VERY typical GMDA-style UFA). I seriously doubt Carolina is sending a 1st AND a premium prospect like Gauthier in exchange for 1 year of Schenn. I'd do Valimaki in a heartbeat but there is zero chance Calgary bites on that. You've got to be cognizant of what Schenn is going to bring in return with only 1 year left on his contract.

I don't think anyone should send a 1st and a premium prospect back for a 2C like Schenn. While I admittedly did not state this above, this was with the assumption that whoever acquires him works out an extension for him. Assuming he hypothetically does sign with Carolina, Gauthier and a 1st is a fair deal.
May 26, 2019 at 9:03 p.m.

Matt Duchene is about to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 8/$9.0. Duchene is a better player, full stop. But Schenn is coming off of a Stanley Cup team (hopefully one that won!), is a couple of years younger, and has no injury concerns. Assuming he plays close to his career average next season and keeping in mind that the price of UFAs goes up every year due to cap inflation, is there any question that Schenn is going to pull 8 years and at least $7.5 AAV? Again using EW tool as a rough guide (far from perfect but at least it's an objective starting point), if he were going UFA today he'd pull 8/$9.0.

The Blues could choose to fit that in their cap if they see Schenn as a key core guy moving forward. Personally I don't -- looking down the road we have 1C and 2C on lockdown between Thomas and ROR. $7.0 (if the Blues can even get him for that) is an incredibly high spend on a 3C. I think the Blues are better off getting a 1st back this year, signing a UFA winger, and reloading the minor league clubs with talent that can continue to sustain a winning team for many years to come.

We quite heavily overpaid for Schenn, you won't get a first and a top prospect back for him. Which is why I think I would keep him as a LW, not a Center. Which is the key using him as a Winger threat. The big thing is Schenn will be a rental, why would anyone bite at giving up a first and a prospect. I wouldn't even do that for 1 season of Hall, much less Calgary doing that for Brayden Schenn.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll