Forums/Armchair-GM

Roster Put Together Just For Fun

Created by: Embrown809
Team: 2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: May 28, 2019
Published: May 28, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Salary Projections for newly signed players used from EvolvingWild’s Salary Projections
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,515,730
6$6,737,712
2$3,377,944
2$1,730,025
2$2,553,885
1$757,741
1$773,086
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$8,732,614
2$2,500,000
4$4,661,000
2$2,613,835
1$1,175,485
Trades
PHI
  1. 2019 5th round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$76,515,452$0$2,995,000$6,484,548
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 3
$3,377,944$3,377,944
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,661,000$4,661,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,613,835$2,613,835
RW
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,553,885$2,553,885
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,730,025$1,730,025
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,737,712$6,737,712
LD
UFA - 6
$8,732,614$8,732,614
RD
UFA - 8
$4,515,730$4,515,730
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$678,889$678,889
RD
UFA - 1
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD, LW
UFA - 2
$1,175,485$1,175,485
RW, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 28, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
j_cash08
personally think that Philly would be better off splitting up Giroux and Couturier to even out the offense. and Johansson would be better off served as a winger.

Johansson-Couturier-Voracek
JVR-Giroux-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Donskoi
May 28, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Ted
Giroux has publicly stated that he prefers to play wing from now on. Splitting up the best line to even out the offense is a strategy that only works if a team has a tremendous amount of forward depth. The Flyers don’t, so It’d turn a great line into multiple good/okay lines.
May 28, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Quoting: Embrown809
Giroux has publicly stated that he prefers to play wing from now on. Splitting up the best line to even out the offense is a strategy that only works if a team has a tremendous amount of forward depth. The Flyers don’t, so It’d turn a great line into multiple good/okay lines.

I hadn't heard about Giroux saying that. But IMO the main reason he was moved to wing was severe defensive deficiency. Which is why Coururier is a perfect match for him at center. And also why splitting up G and Coots (and moving G back to center) is a bad idea in my opinion.

I really hope we don't sign Karlsson. I also think he'll get more than that projection you used. Is that the Evolving Hockey projection?
May 28, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
Ted
“Severe defensive deficiency.” This phrase uttered on its own without any specific examples to bolster the point doesn’t mean much. What specifically leads you to this conclusion that Giroux has a severe defensive deficiency?

Let me guess: You think that Karlsson is bad at defense because he’s good offensively? Even though, those two things are in no way mutually exclusive.
May 28, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: fly_iggles_fly
I hadn't heard about Giroux saying that. But IMO the main reason he was moved to wing was severe defensive deficiency. Which is why Coururier is a perfect match for him at center. And also why splitting up G and Coots (and moving G back to center) is a bad idea in my opinion.

I really hope we don't sign Karlsson. I also think he'll get more than that projection you used. Is that the Evolving Hockey projection?

Giroux is one of the best 200 foot players in the league, is always on the PK in important times, and only moved to the wing to focus more on offense. Something this team needed desperately when the change was made. Now that you have a player who has averaged 90 points in the two years since he has moved, you don't move him back. How many 90 point guys are there in the league, how many 100 point guys? If you have a hole in a spot vacated by one of these players, you go find another to "try" and replace him.
Embrown809 liked this.
May 28, 2019 at 11:08 p.m.
Quoting: sk540
Giroux is one of the best 200 foot players in the league, is always on the PK in important times, and only moved to the wing to focus more on offense. Something this team needed desperately when the change was made. Now that you have a player who has averaged 90 points in the two years since he has moved, you don't move him back. How many 90 point guys are there in the league, how many 100 point guys? If you have a hole in a spot vacated by one of these players, you go find another to "try" and replace him.

I love Giroux and everything he's done for the Flyers. But he is far from good defensively. The past two years he's made a notable effort to improve and he has gotten at least a little better defensively, (which is much easier to do on the wing). He will never be "one of the best 200 ft players in the league" though. That just isn't what he is.
May 29, 2019 at 9:51 a.m.
I love Giroux and everything he's done for the Flyers. But he is far from good defensively. The past two years he's made a notable effort to improve and he has gotten at least a little better defensively, (which is much easier to do on the wing). He will never be "one of the best 200 ft players in the league" though. That just isn't what he is.

Dude thats exactly what he is, who are you watching? You may be confusing Giroux with someone else, but he is viewed not only on the team but around the league, a complete player. He plays in all situations, I can't for one second think of a time where someone called out his defense, his lack of hustle, bad positioning, not gripping a system even though he's played in like 6 different ones. For you to say he is far from good defensively makes me believe you do not watch hockey one bit, and just slap "random insult here" on Giroux. Im telling you, you couldnt be more wrong. Check the stats, advanced stats, game tape, please point out to me where he is a liability defensively.
May 29, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
Dude thats exactly what he is, who are you watching? You may be confusing Giroux with someone else, but he is viewed not only on the team but around the league, a complete player. He plays in all situations, I can't for one second think of a time where someone called out his defense, his lack of hustle, bad positioning, not gripping a system even though he's played in like 6 different ones. For you to say he is far from good defensively makes me believe you do not watch hockey one bit, and just slap "random insult here" on Giroux. Im telling you, you couldnt be more wrong. Check the stats, advanced stats, game tape, please point out to me where he is a liability defensively.

Never watched a hockey game in my life. You nailed it! tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

You're obviously a Flyers homer, and that is awesome. Love ya for that.
May 29, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Ted
You still haven’t pointed out why specifically he is bad defensively. Just saying something doesn't make it true. If you can make a strong argument for why he is bad defensively, I’m all ears.
May 29, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
You still haven’t pointed out why specifically he is bad defensively. Just saying something doesn't make it true. If you can make a strong argument for why he is bad defensively, I’m all ears.

Thank you
May 29, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
Never watched a hockey game in my life. You nailed it! tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

You're obviously a Flyers homer, and that is awesome. Love ya for that.

Still waiting....
Embrown809 liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.

Why do you think he was passed over for the Olympics a few years back? (when Yzerman selected the team). If you can't see his defensive deficiencies when you watch him play there isn't much I can do to help you see it. Show me one example of any player, coach, or analyst who says Giroux plays a solid 200 ft game.
May 31, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
Ted
Getting passed over for the Olympics≠bad at defense

Olympic team’s make those kinds of decisions for a variety of reasons. You’re making an assumption there.

Still didn’t answer the question. Just some condescension mixed in with some know-it-all smarminess.

If you can’t articulate the specifics, that’s fine. It’s just real odd that you haven’t yet. Again, I’m all ears. Unless I’m being deemed too dumb to understand...and if that’s the case...good stuff bud.
Jun. 3, 2019 at 9:09 a.m.
Why do you think he was passed over for the Olympics a few years back? (when Yzerman selected the team). If you can't see his defensive deficiencies when you watch him play there isn't much I can do to help you see it. Show me one example of any player, coach, or analyst who says Giroux plays a solid 200 ft game.

Here's one:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/593814-philadelphia-flyers-claude-giroux-is-the-new-bobby-clarke#slide1

Oh and here's another:

https://www.mcall.com/sports/phantoms-flyers/mc-spt-flyers-jvr-20190116-story.html

Now this took all of 2 seconds to find, however, you can believe that it has been said ad-naseum on Flyers broadcasts, on NHL network, on those little candid interviews they do with other players, etc. etc. etc. You're opinion may be that he is a burden defensively, and thats fine, but when you say no one thinks he is a 200 foot player, you're 100% wrong.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 12:35 p.m.
Here's one:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/593814-philadelphia-flyers-claude-giroux-is-the-new-bobby-clarke#slide1

Oh and here's another:

https://www.mcall.com/sports/phantoms-flyers/mc-spt-flyers-jvr-20190116-story.html

Now this took all of 2 seconds to find, however, you can believe that it has been said ad-naseum on Flyers broadcasts, on NHL network, on those little candid interviews they do with other players, etc. etc. etc. You're opinion may be that he is a burden defensively, and thats fine, but when you say no one thinks he is a 200 foot player, you're 100% wrong.

Yeah you reached pretty deep for these. And neither one says anything at all about G being good defensively. The first one, which looks to be from his rookie year, makes a brief mention of giving effort on all 200 ft of the ice. The 2nd one is about JVR and how G helped him get going. Not even any remote mention of defense. I watch NHL Network all the time, and no one I've seen has ever called Giroux a good defensive player. Over the past couple of years he has certainly made a visible effort to get better defensively. He has gotten a little better, but he still just is not good at it. And yes, whenever he makes a good play the Flyers broadcast team will highlight it. They are a homer broadcast team, and that's fine, I like it like that. I've watched nearly every game of Giroux's career. At most I've missed maybe a handful of his games. And I'm telling you, he's a great player and I love the guy, but he is far from good defensively. It's hard to find stats that say that. There are advanced stats out there, which I am not a big fan of. Any stat that attempts to measure defensive ability relies to some degree on non individual factors. And commentators on NHL Network and such are reluctant to criticize players and would prefer to just talk more about what they are good at. Especially star players. You can believe what you want to believe, but I'm extremely confident in my observation that Giroux is a sub par defensive player.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Yeah you reached pretty deep for these. And neither one says anything at all about G being good defensively. The first one, which looks to be from his rookie year, makes a brief mention of giving effort on all 200 ft of the ice. The 2nd one is about JVR and how G helped him get going. Not even any remote mention of defense. I watch NHL Network all the time, and no one I've seen has ever called Giroux a good defensive player. Over the past couple of years he has certainly made a visible effort to get better defensively. He has gotten a little better, but he still just is not good at it. And yes, whenever he makes a good play the Flyers broadcast team will highlight it. They are a homer broadcast team, and that's fine, I like it like that. I've watched nearly every game of Giroux's career. At most I've missed maybe a handful of his games. And I'm telling you, he's a great player and I love the guy, but he is far from good defensively. It's hard to find stats that say that. There are advanced stats out there, which I am not a big fan of. Any stat that attempts to measure defensive ability relies to some degree on non individual factors. And commentators on NHL Network and such are reluctant to criticize players and would prefer to just talk more about what they are good at. Especially star players. You can believe what you want to believe, but I'm extremely confident in my observation that Giroux is a sub par defensive player.

So if say, Giroux had multiple years where he has gotten Selke votes, would that also speak to this deficiencies on defense, or would that just prove you ever further out of your element? Bro, Im not saying Giroux is a top 10 defensive forward, what I am saying is that he is not a burden, he is not a liability, he is not deficient on defense. His advanced stats speak to it, but also his peers giving him votes for the best defensive forward award in the NHL, multiple years in a row no less!, say this. here are some links for your perusal:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2017.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2018.html

Top 30 every single year for the last 3 years in a row, including number 16 in terms of Selke votes the year he switched to wing, sounds like I was spot on with my assessment of Giroux's defensive skills.
fly_iggles_fly liked this.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
So if say, Giroux had multiple years where he has gotten Selke votes, would that also speak to this deficiencies on defense, or would that just prove you ever further out of your element? Bro, Im not saying Giroux is a top 10 defensive forward, what I am saying is that he is not a burden, he is not a liability, he is not deficient on defense. His advanced stats speak to it, but also his peers giving him votes for the best defensive forward award in the NHL, multiple years in a row no less!, say this. here are some links for your perusal:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2017.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2018.html

Top 30 every single year for the last 3 years in a row, including number 16 in terms of Selke votes the year he switched to wing, sounds like I was spot on with my assessment of Giroux's defensive skills.

Lol. Not voted on by "his peers". Voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. He got 4 total votes over those 3 years (probably from the same 1 or 2 writers). The year he finished 16th he got 1 vote for 4th place. Also, he did not finish in the top 30 all 3 years.

But still, you win. Personally I think this only means there is one, maybe two lunatic hockey writers out there. But you provided tangible evidence to support your argument, and I can not. So you win. I give up.
sk540 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 5:35 p.m.
Lol. Not voted on by "his peers". Voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. He got 4 total votes over those 3 years (probably from the same 1 or 2 writers). The year he finished 16th he got 1 vote for 4th place. Also, he did not finish in the top 30 all 3 years.

But still, you win. Personally I think this only means there is one, maybe two lunatic hockey writers out there. But you provided tangible evidence to support your argument, and I can not. So you win. I give up.

Yes, admittedly tried to remind myself to change peers but to boil it down, meant people who are involved in hockey. Conversely, there are players out there who didn't get any votes at all, so the fact he received some shows that people outside of Philadelphia consider him to be an above average defensive forward, almost more impressive is that these were the last 3 years and not when he was younger, although he did garner votes when he was younger as well.

Win or lose, your opinion is yours, thats not wrong or right, I just think you're being a little harsh on him, that's all. Fine argument though, take care. Good fight, good night

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll