SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My Final 2019 NHL Mock Draft

My Final 2019 NHL Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: skinnypain78
Published: Jun. 10, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Description
This will be my final mock draft because the NHL Draft is almost here. I think Boston will win the Stanley Cup, which is why I have them at pick #31. I put a lot of time into each player's description. Feel free to leave your thoughts!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Jack Hughes is the best player in this draft. Hughes is an elite center who has the potential to become a franchise player for the Devils. Hughes is a playmaker with quick hands. His hockey IQ is extremely high and he can also put the puck in the net. The Devils will happily select Jack Hughes from the USNTDP. Jack Hughes will be playing in the NHL for the 2019-20 season.
2Logo of the New York Rangers-Kaapo Kakko is an elite right winger who has the potential to become a franchise player. Kakko is also capable of playing center. Kakko is more of a playmaker but he's also good at scoring goals. He has great vision and excellent hands. Kakko played very well against adults in the SM-liiga. Kakko will be in the NHL for the 2019-20 season.
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-No, Chicago will not take Bowen Byram with this pick. I would personally take Byram here but they will skip him and pick Alex Turcotte. Turcotte is an elite two-way center who played on a team with Jack Hughes in the USHL. Turcotte grew up idolizing Jonathan Toews and he hopes to become half the player Toews has become. Turcotte and Strome will be the next top centers to bring a Stanley Cup to Chicago. Turcotte will play in the NCAA for the 2019-20 season.
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsWhat. A. Steal. Not only did Colorado make the playoffs this year, they also have a top 5 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft. Bowen Byram has the potential to become a franchise defenseman for Colorado. He will be paired with Cale Makar for years to come in Colorado. Byram can move the puck very well and he can also play incredible in his own end. He is a great skater with A+ hockey IQ. Colorado is going to be very thankful that Chicago passed on this future top pairing defenseman. Byram is NHL ready in my opinion. He will most likely be in the NHL for the 2019-20 season.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The Kings will not pass up Dylan Cozens. Cozens plays in the WHL and he Is a complete center with elite potential. Cozens has good speed, size, awareness, and hockey IQ. Cozens plays center but he can also play right wing if needed. I believe Cozens will be back in the WHL for the 2019-20 season.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit already has some very good defensive prospects in their system. It's time to take another forward. Detroit is proud to select, from the USNTDP, Trevor Zegras. Zegras is capable of playing center and the wing. He has elite vision and hockey IQ. He played second line center while Jack Hughes took the first line center duty. Detroit has a couple of decent young forwards in their system already, including Michael Rasmussen and Joe Veleno. Rasmussen struggled in his rookie year with the Red Wings and his skating is mediocre. Veleno is a good prospect but many believe that he will end up becoming a winger in the NHL. Zegras has the potential to become a first line center for Detroit. Zegras is on his way to Boston University for the 2019-20 season.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-This is a pick that Buffalo will easily make. Krebs is an elite talent and he could end up being one of the best players out of this draft in the future. Krebs recently tore his Achilles tendon but that shouldn’t stop Buffalo from taking him with this pick. He is a great playmaker who can also put the puck in the net. Krebs will probably be a winger in the NHL. Buffalo is going to be a top team in the near future. They just need to find a true starting goalie now. Krebs will most likely be back in the WHL for the 2019-20 season. There's no need for Buffalo to him into the NHL.
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-There are rumors going around saying that the Oilers will end up trading this pick. I personally believe that the Oilers will keep this pick and select forward Cole Caufield. Caufield can play center or right wing. He is one of the best goal scoring prospects I have ever seen. He is undersized but teams shouldn't be afraid of that because a pure goal scorer like him is hard to find. He will be an elite NHL goal scorer. His skating is pretty good and his hockey IQ is elite. He loves to move the puck around and set plays up when he's not scoring. He is committed to the University of Wisconsin for the 2019-20 season. This kid will be on a line with Connor McDavid in the near future. That's if the Oilers don't end up trading this pick for immediate help.
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks will draft center Kirby Dach. I'm sure the Ducks are looking to find a future replacement for Ryan Getzlaf. Will Dach be the guy to replace him in the future? I'm not so sure about that. I like Dach but he has one major red flag. His skating. He's a big center and his skating is something that he really needs to improve in order for him to become an elite center at the NHL level. It's yet to be seen whether he will become a first or second line center in the NHL. Krebs will be back in the WHL for the 2019-20 season.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Elite. Talent. Canucks fans should be happy that they landed Newhook at pick #10. Alex Newhook is an elite skater with a very good shot. He loves to make plays but he also scores a bunch of goals. Newhook played in the BCHL during the 2018-19 season but now he is heading to Boston College for the 2019-20 season. He will be an elite center in the NHL.
11Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-The Flyers really need a right handed defenseman. Taking Victor Söderström with pick #11 is the smart thing to do. I would always take the best player available instead of picking a need but this is a win-win situation. They get one of the best players available and they get what they need. Söderström is a naturally gifted skater and he loves to carry the puck into the offensive zone to set up a play. He will do whatever it takes to win. I don't think he will be a top-pairing defenseman at the NHL level but he will be a very good second-pairing defenseman. He will be back in Sweden for the 2019-20 season.
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Philip Broberg is a guy that I had ranked late first-round. Minnesota has been terrible with drafting in the first-round and they really need Broberg to pan out because Suter isn't getting any younger. Broberg is a two-way defenseman. He can skate pretty well but his hockey IQ isn't very good. He rushes the puck up the ice but he lacks offensive creativity. Sometimes he shows flashes of excellence, but most of the time I wonder what he is trying to do with the puck. He will most likely be a second-pairing defenseman at the NHL level. He is committed to the SHL for the 2019-20 season.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers will easily make this selection, drafting LW Matthew Boldy from the USHL. A couple of teams outside the top 10 will get a steal and the Panthers are one of them. Boldy has incredible vision and is a great passer that can also put the puck in the net. Boldy doesn't drive offense but the Panthers can't pass up on drafting him. He will most likely be on a line with prospect Owen Tippett in the future. He will be a second-liner at the NHL level. Boldy is committed to Boston College for the 2019-20 season.
14Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Kaliyev may be inconsistent on defense most times but he is the second best goal scorer in this draft. The Coyotes need help scoring goals and Kaliyev will help them fix that problem. Kaliyev will also help the Coyotes powerplay. He is a good skater with great hockey IQ. I can't wait to see Kaliyev on a line with Clayton Keller. I know Kaliyev will be a great top-six forward for Arizona for years to come. Kaliyev will most likely be back in the OHL for the 2019-20 season, but don't be surprised if the Coyotes keep him around for a few games to see if he can create offense and score goals.
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Habs are looking for a top-pairing, left-handed defenseman to play with Weber. Ville Heinola will be that guy. Heinola played against men in the SM-liiga and he put up great numbers. The Canadiens could possibly draft defenseman Cam York from the USNTDP with this pick but I don't think York will be a top-pairing defenseman at the NHL level. Heinola is a great pick because his hockey sense is elite and he can move the puck pretty well. He doesn't have the best slap shot but his wrist shot is elite. His skating isn't the best but it's not terrible. Heinola will be a top-pairing defenseman for the Habs for years to come. He is committed to the Liiga for the 2019-20 season.
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-The Avalanche could take another defenseman here, but I think taking a forward would make more sense. Ryan Suzuki is an excellent skater with elite hockey IQ. He will be a top-six forward for the Avalanche for years to come. He will be back in the OHL for the 2019-20 season.
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-The Knights will not pass up on defenseman Cam York. Many scouts have criticized York, saying he is a product of an elite USHL team. York fired back during an interview, pretty much saying that he has tons of skill and he isn't letting the negative comments bother him. York can rush the puck up the ice better than almost anyone and he can also play very good defensively. He is a great skater with elite hockey sense. He will be a great second-pairing defenseman in the NHL for years to come. He is committed to the University of Michigan for the 2019-20 season.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-I really don't know what the Dallas Stars are trying to do with their team. Are they trying to win the Stanley Cup? Rebuild? There are so many questions that need to be asked when it comes to the Dallas Stars. With that being said, I think they draft right-handed defenseman, Moritz Seider. Seider is a quick skater and he loves to move the puck up the ice. Defensively, Seider plays a physical game. Seider has size, skill, and great hockey IQ. He is a bit of a project but he has high-end upside. He will end up being a very reliable second-pairing defenseman for Dallas for years to come. He is committed to the DEL for the 2019-20 season.
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsThe Senators are in a rebuild and they will be able to give Lavoie time in the QMJHL to get better. Lavoie is one of the oldest players in this draft, which concerns some scouts. Lavoie is a good skater for his size and he makes goal scoring look easy. He is a sniper with good hockey IQ but he doesn't drive offense. Lavoie needs to be around players that are able to set plays up for him. Lavoie will most likely be a winger in the NHL, but that isn't a bad thing. Lavoie has the potential to become a second-line forward. He will be back in the QMJHL for the 2019-20 season.
20Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Winnipeg JetsSteal alert. The Rangers GM will run up to the podium to make this pick. Podkolzin is a complete winger. He plays the game the hard way but he is usually disciplined. Podkolzin is a top 3 talent in this draft but the Russian factor will definitely cause him to slide. The Rangers will be more than happy to wait for Podkolzin to come over to North America. He will be back in Russia for the 2019-20 season.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Penguins fans should be very happy to see Dorofeyev get drafted by Pittsburgh. Dorofeyev isn't a horrible skater, but he definitely needs to make an improvement. He is a winger who likes to get creative when it comes to making plays. He is a beast offensively, but he is also very good defensively. His hockey sense is elite and is always ready to steal the puck quickly off an opponent. Dorofeyev has the potential to become an elite player for the Penguins. He will be back in Russia for the 2019-20 season.
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsThe Kings need goaltending prospects very badly. Knight is an elite goaltending prospect who played with Jack Hughes in the USHL during the 2018-19 season. He is a butterfly goaltender who is explosive from side to side. He put up very very good numbers in the USHL. He was playing on a stacked team, but don't let that fool you into thinking that the team carried Knight. He is one of the best goaltending prospects we have seen in a long time. It's rare for a goalie to go in the first-round but he will. He will be an elite goaltender for the Kings in the future. He is committed to Boston College for the 2019-20 season.
23Logo of the New York Islanders-Tomasino is a dynamic skater. He is one of the best skaters in this draft. He is a natural goal scorer. He scores most of his goals during even strength. That's what makes Tomasino a special player. Tomasino is an elite playmaker as well. He also plays a solid defensive game. He's the type of player that helps you win championships. He will be a solid top-six forward in the NHL for years to come. He will most likely be back in the OHL for the 2019-20 season.
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-This will be a good pick by the Predators. Brink is a good skater but he needs to improve it. Brink is a sniper with a great release. Brink can also make plays when needed. Brink loves helping out in his own zone and will work hard every game. He is the type of player that coaches love. Brink is a project but he will be worth the wait. He should become a top-six forward at the NHL level. He is committed to the University of Denver until the end of the 2020-21 season.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-Höglander is undersized but the Capitals GM doesn't care about that. They take him here at pick #25. Höglander has outstanding skating ability. He can stickhandle very well and his hockey sense is top-notch. He also likes to help back on defense every shift. He's the type of player that loves to win and will do pretty much anything to help his team out. This would be a great pick by the Capitals. He will most likely play on the third-line in the NHL. Höglander is committed to the SHL for the 2019-20 season.
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-The Flames will be proud to select Jakob Pelletier. Pelletier mainly plays left wing but he can play center when needed. He is an undersized playmaker with outstanding speed. The Flames love to take defenseman with a lot of their picks but now it's time to take a forward. Pelletier has great vision and is very shifty with the puck. His hockey IQ is very good and he will be a good player in the NHL for years to come. Pelletier will most likely be a third-line forward in the NHL. Pelletier will most likely be back in the QMJHL for the 2019-20 season.
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-Tobias Björnfot, along with Sam Poulin, are my two favorite prospects in the 2019 NHL Draft. It's easy for Björnfot to join the rush because he is a great skater. He is a two-way defenseman and has a very high hockey IQ. He is very strong defensively but he still needs to bulk up before he is ready to play in the NHL. In my opinion, I think Björnfot is better than Philip Broberg. Björnfot is much smarter when it comes to transitioning the puck and making offensive plays. Björnfot is going to be a draft steal and whoever drafts him will be extremely lucky. He will be in Sweden for the 2019-20 season.
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Connor McMichael is an extremely good skater. He is one of the best skaters in this draft. He is more of a two-way forward but he can also shoot the puck pretty well. I don't think McMichael is good enough offensively to become a threat at the NHL level, but he could become a solid defensive forward. I think he will be a third-line center in the NHL. McMichael will most likely be back in the OHL for the 2019-20 season.
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose SharksHarley is a boom or bust type player. He is a two-way defenseman. He is an excellent skater who loves to make a first good pass out of the zone. Harley has also improved his slap shot. He plays very solid defensively. Harley will need a lot of time in the OHL and then the AHL before reaching the NHL. If he pans out, he will be a solid top-4 defenseman in the NHL. He will most likely be back in the OHL for the 2019-20 season.
30Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis BluesThe Sabres took a forward at the beginning of the draft, now its time to take a defenseman. Robertson is a very confident defenseman. He is a good skating defenseman with strong hockey sense. He also shoots the puck very well. He is good defensively but he's not very physical. I don't think he will be an elite defenseman at the NHL level but he will be a very good second-pairing one for years to come. He will most likely be back in the WHL for the 2019-20 season.
31Logo of the Boston Bruins-I want Boston to draft Samuel Poulin. Poulin is a great leader who loves to score goals. He also helps his team out defensively when needed. Poulin has very good hockey IQ and he is a dominate power forward. His skating isn't very good though. Poulin needs to work on his skating in order for him to become a good player at the NHL level. If Poulin falls out of the first-round, it will be because of his skating. He has the skills to be a top 5 player in this draft. If Poulin improves his skating, I think he will be a solid top-6 forward in the NHL. If his skating doesn't improve, he will most likely play on the third or fourth line. He is another boom or bust prospect, only because of his skating. He will most likely be back in the QMJHL for the 2019-20 season.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Wow good job ! Nice mock draft with great explanation for each pick ! (great read)
My personal disagree (subjective opinion)
Cozens should not be taken in the top 5 lacks of hockey IQ
Vasili wont fall that far ! If so, I hope MTL take him
I'm pretty much ok with the rest of your picks smile
skinnypain78 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Really nice mock overall, I love the in-depth analysis. I don't agree with all of your takes but that's what makes this fun.
skinnypain78 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
ItsMcAvoy73
Thank you @Frankyhabs! Really appreciate it!
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
ItsMcAvoy73
Quoting: TanSor
Really nice mock overall, I love the in-depth analysis. I don't agree with all of your takes but that's what makes this fun.

I appreciate it!
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: skinnypain78
I appreciate it!

I'm curious why you don't think Dach's skating is very good? He's no Newhook or Hughes, but I think his skating is fine. I'd call it average at the very least. I don't think it holds him back, I think Stone is a worse skater than Dach and Stone is a high-end player.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
I don't think the Oilers would pass up Dach at #8, but stranger things have happened. Also, in a recent interview Holland pretty much quashed the idea of trading the pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll