Forums/Armchair-GM

REALISTIC TEAM FOR THE LEAFS

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 25, 2019
Published: Jun. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ok so I am going go over alot of stuff here.

Johnsson and Kap both sign for what has been reported.

I believe Marner does a 5 year deal like Matthews for around 11 million. Close to Matthews but a little under so he should be happy with that.

I think Ennis could resign if the contact of Zatsiev is moved. Another one year deal would be great as he always put his best foot forward on the ice.

Expect Bracco, Petan and Moore to move up and down the line up. Bracco could be odd one out.

Defense is going be rough again this year. With no first rounded again, and no big FAs, the Leafs will be weak on the back end. Theyre going need more hustle from the forwards to help them out. I also dont think Timonthy or Rasmus will be ready to start the season but maybe near the middle to end they could be called up.

Overall, since the draft, only , main moves I see is moving of Brown and Zatisev.

In total, the leafs will be rocking another TOP 5 offense and a BOTTOM 25 Defense with a TOP 10 goalie. I see second in the division, fourth in the conference and depending on who we see in the first round, most likely a second round exit to the hands of Tamopa
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$11,000,000
3$3,330,000
4$3,450,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
1$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Robertson, Nic
3$850,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Benning, Matthew
  2. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Benning is the best Defense player the Leafs would be targeting yet he could help the Leafs on a bottom role. I think he could even help Rosen grow as he already has three season under his belt. 4th rounder is conditional, if Brown scores 20 plus goals the 4th becomes a third
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. 2020 6th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Brown is hoping to reconnect his skills with McDavid. I personally see this as a homerun for Edmonton as the cap barley changes for them and they get a player with untapped skills.
TOR
  1. Bowey, Madison
  2. 2020 5th round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Leafs shed 3.5 Million of cap. Bowey can play again, some bottom roles until Dermott is back.
This trade was done on another thread.
DET
  1. Baptiste, Nicholas
  2. Zaitsev, Nikita
Additional Details:
Taking on a defenseman who can easily out play Ericsson and Daley. Both guys Will be done after this season freeing over 7.5 million in cap. Also getting young big player in Gagne who can play RW for the Griffins
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,143,866$0$82,500$2,356,134
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,330,000$3,330,000
RW
UFA - 3
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
"I believe Marner does a 5 year deal like Matthews for around 11 million. Close to Matthews but a little under so he should be happy with that. "
This is your first mistake. Marner is in no way worth AM and it isn't close in the slightest. All reports have Dubas refusing to go above 10 (they just offered 8@10 as their highest offer). Marner won't get 11 on any term, and he shouldn't even get 10 if Dubas hold his nerve (like he did with Willy).

Ennis was good as a super cheap depth guy who will want 3rd line money (and the Leafs can't afford to pay it). I suspect he will be gone.
Bracco is not NHL ready and has very little chance of making it next year.
Petan is a 30 game a year type of guy, not a regular. (Mik is the regular slotted in rn)
Leafs aren't giving up a pick to move Brown, he is more than valuable enough to make that trade without losing a pick. I am being picky here because without 1sts the Leafs will need all of their depth picks.
JakeD liked this.
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
1,5M for Ennis and 1,5M for Hainsey....think again
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
"I believe Marner does a 5 year deal like Matthews for around 11 million. Close to Matthews but a little under so he should be happy with that. "
This is your first mistake. Marner is in no way worth AM and it isn't close in the slightest. All reports have Dubas refusing to go above 10 (they just offered 8@10 as their highest offer). Marner won't get 11 on any term, and he shouldn't even get 10 if Dubas hold his nerve (like he did with Willy).

Ennis was good as a super cheap depth guy who will want 3rd line money (and the Leafs can't afford to pay it). I suspect he will be gone.
Bracco is not NHL ready and has very little chance of making it next year.
Petan is a 30 game a year type of guy, not a regular.
Leafs aren't giving up a pick to move Brown, he is more than valuable enough to make that trade without losing a pick. I am being picky here because without 1sts the Leafs will need all of their depth picks.

I personally know Marner isnt worth 11 million but at the end of 5 years couldnt you argue it if he was a regular 90-100 point guy? I am just getting worried with the lack of communication between the two sides. I know Marner isnt leaving, I just really dont want to have another Nylander issue where its November and finally Marner is back you know?

Ennis is great, I also dont think hes worth what I gave him. I think just the idea of staying where you played last year knowing guys like Hyman arent starting could boost his value for another year.

Ive heard sooooo much about if hes ready or not. Offensively he is, Defenselessly hes not. Issue is what other Marlies are ready for that next step?

Dont worry I know petan is that type of player. He fills the role while Hyman is out.

and a 6th is noting to worry about but I understand im sad we keep trading firsts
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
I personally know Marner isnt worth 11 million but at the end of 5 years couldnt you argue it if he was a regular 90-100 point guy? I am just getting worried with the lack of communication between the two sides. I know Marner isnt leaving, I just really dont want to have another Nylander issue where its November and finally Marner is back you know?

Ennis is great, I also dont think hes worth what I gave him. I think just the idea of staying where you played last year knowing guys like Hyman arent starting could boost his value for another year.

Ive heard sooooo much about if hes ready or not. Offensively he is, Defenselessly hes not. Issue is what other Marlies are ready for that next step?

Dont worry I know petan is that type of player. He fills the role while Hyman is out.

and a 6th is noting to worry about but I understand im sad we keep trading firsts

Moore is the Marlie who was ready to take the next step. Engvall and Marchment are a year away and Bracco.... I think we have another Seth Giffith on our hands with him. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, but Bracco needs at least 1, probably 2 more years of seasoning.

If we are paying Marner 11, we wont have a team so it won't matter if he will be worth it in 5 years.

Ennis needs to think about life after hockey and for his family. He is going to take the biggest pay cheque given to him, comfort and loyalty aren't really important for guys in his position.

Don't be sad that we keep trading firsts. Statistically we just traded Freddy the Goat to lose Marleau's contract. Carolina tends to draft well but even then you play the odds and hope for the best. Keeping Kappy and Mango (sure things) over a maybe that might be able to help us in 2023 at the soonest is a good move.
Also on the 1sts thing, a late first is only slightly more valuable than an early third. The guy we got 53rd this year was projected to go in the first round by many, and the guy we got 84th was supposed to be a 2nd rounder. Hell the guy we got in the 5th put up the same statline as Casey Mittelstat did, AND HE IS A DMAN. Move the 1st if you need to, keep your lotto ticket picks and draft well with them.

There wont be a Nylander issue with Marner. Ferris pulls this **** with EVERY single one of his clients. No really, every one of them.

Even then, it can't go into the season as Marner's cap hit would be pro-rated (and go up for this year). He will either be signed or traded before the season starts, otherwise he will be sitting out.
CapFriendlysFinest liked this.
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It really doesn't matter if Marner is worth more than Matthews, the Leafs have no obligation to offer an 11m contract. Sure the Leaf might 11m offer, just saying they have no reason too.
Can't see the Wings trading a young RHD to the Leafs just because the Leafs want cap space.
Jun. 25, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Moore is the Marlie who was ready to take the next step. Engvall and Marchment are a year away and Bracco.... I think we have another Seth Giffith on our hands with him. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, but Bracco needs at least 1, probably 2 more years of seasoning.

If we are paying Marner 11, we wont have a team so it won't matter if he will be worth it in 5 years.

Ennis needs to think about life after hockey and for his family. He is going to take the biggest pay cheque given to him, comfort and loyalty aren't really important for guys in his position.

Don't be sad that we keep trading firsts. Statistically we just traded Freddy the Goat to lose Marleau's contract. Carolina tends to draft well but even then you play the odds and hope for the best. Keeping Kappy and Mango (sure things) over a maybe that might be able to help us in 2023 at the soonest is a good move.
Also on the 1sts thing, a late first is only slightly more valuable than an early third. The guy we got 53rd this year was projected to go in the first round by many, and the guy we got 84th was supposed to be a 2nd rounder. Hell the guy we got in the 5th put up the same statline as Casey Mittelstat did, AND HE IS A DMAN. Move the 1st if you need to, keep your lotto ticket picks and draft well with them.

There wont be a Nylander issue with Marner. Ferris pulls this **** with EVERY single one of his clients. No really, every one of them.

Even then, it can't go into the season as Marner's cap hit would be pro-rated (and go up for this year). He will either be signed or traded before the season starts, otherwise he will be sitting out.

Agreed, Moore is ready. And I wouldnt call bracco the next Griffin, Bracco has hit his offense stride earlier than Griffin did, but I understand the comparison. That being said, if its the Leafs or Mariles next year where he plays, hell have two fantastic coaches to help him work on his game.

I understand his agent is pretty much a dick all around. I dont see Marner playing over seas but I really dont want to lose him to another team. 4 first rounders is great but to find a talent like Mitch again would be tough. And I understand the whole trading a first and going how a late first is like a 3rd round but the problem is the Leafs tea,m has been built of good picks and if we trade the first every year we will be SOL

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll