Forums/Armchair-GM

Cup Number Six

Created by: Choino
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 18, 2019
Published: Jul. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Actually, I think this might be the best, most realistic roster we could possibly have. I'd been tinkering with ideas before, but I was dismissing Gusev. Still no way in hell would I want Ristolainen, but Gusev could be the real deal. Let's go down the list.

1) Start by trading Gudbranson for a second from Ottawa. Should be decent enough to do. Only asking for a pick in return, no asset, Gudbranson is serviceable and a good get for only a second round pick for anyone who thinks he's bad, the price for him was Pearson, who was gotten for Hagelin, and I would think that deserves a second round pick. Also, it's his hometown. Very probably and doable, would clear cap space and get us a pick we can flop.

2) Rust and Johnson for Forbort. Semi doable, semi likely. If I could see any team trading for Johnson, LA is one of the few. They get Johnson at term to replace Forbort. Johnson obviously isn't good, but I do feel like he would fit in well with the Kings style and physical play. Also was drafted by the Kings. They get Rust as well to sweeten the deal but also open more cap space for us. Some might be upset we lose Rust, maybe you don't like the Tanev deal, but so be it, he gets this trade done and that $3.5 mil to work with.

3) Use that second along with a third and Simon to land the RFA rights to Gusev. The rumored asking price is a lower end prospect and a second reportedly. Honestly, I don't like Simon and want to see him gone, but he does have good possession stats and can play with skilled players. He has good hockey sense and vision that I think would suit Vegas well. Could happen.

4) Sign our RFAs. Gusev asking price supposedly a two year deal at a $4 mil cap. Petterson has been projected at $1.6 mil by a lot that I've seen but let's bump that to $2.1 for four years. Aston Reese is filing for arbitration but I believe $1.1 mil on a two year deal is fair. This even leaves us at almost $3 mil under the cap should any of these deals be thought to be underpaying but I don't. That wiggle room is nice for the trade deadline in the spring to retool the team if need be and worry just a little bit less next year when we need to hand out raises.

Line combinations.

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel

We saw this line together last year. Simply put, this trio was amazing. Would love to see them back together now with a healthy McCann.

Gusev-Malkin-Tanev

Gusev would be an amazing left wing for Malkin, the two even train together. I was skeptical on him under doing more research and the kid could be the next Panarin playing alongside Geno. Defense could be somewhat of an issue for this line hence Tanev to work his ass off and earn that paycheck without him being wasted on the 4th line. I think these three could mesh well.

Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist

Quite frankly this line makes me salivate. I was thinking Galchenyuk would be playing with Geno which he still could, our lineups always in flux, but adding him to this line adds the scoring and speed that was missing with Simon. Bjugstad and Hornqvist already had some solid chemistry going posting amazing possession stats. If Chuck clicks here and has a resurgence, as well as if Hornqvist stays consistent/has a healthier year free of concussions, this line could absolutely dominate and be one of our best third lines ever quite frankly. Big if. On paper, it's insane to have this depth.

ZAR-Blueger-Kahun

Kahun will probably get shots at playing with Sid and Geno here and there as the lineup changes, as he wasn't just some throw in to get Maatta, kids good, but he has to earn it under Sully. ZAR is talented but also a bit of a grinder. Would balance this line out with a grinder and scorer like the rest of the lines, save Crosbys where he's more of the grinder. Kahun adds that scoring, and Blueger should look nice at 4C with Cullen finally out of the picture, RIP dad, and having replaced Geno at 2C for a bit last year proving he could hold his own

That's the definition of four scoring lines you can constantly roll out.

Defensive pairings:

Dumoulin-Letang

Ain't broke don't fix it. One of the best pairings in the NHL, Letang runs away with the Norris if he stays healthy.

Petterson-Schultz

Petterson earned his keep last year and would be awesome to see what he can do on the second pair alongside a healthy Schultz without either being anchored by Gudbranson or Johnson respectively. Solid second pairing.

Forbort-Ruhwedl

Forbort was playing alongside Doughty and while he obviously wasn't the one carrying that pairing. He was good and would be a great get if we can swing that trade. Ruhwedl earning his contract. Good depth piece.
Decent bottom pair.

With our extra defensemen and forwards as scratches in Riikola and Adam Johnson. This team looks like the real deal. No longer mediocre and scraping by to get into the playoffs. This is realistic and this is a contender. I hope it happens.

A possible future outlook for this roster: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1336812 assuming the cap goes up another $2 mil like after last season.

Edit: Based on feedback, I've changed the trades a bit. Gudbranson is now being shipped off for a 4th. Although it stings, without that second round pick, I upped the picks in the trade from a 2nd and a 3rd to a 1st. Gusev is frankly worth it from what I've seen and it would probably beat out the other teams' offers as to land him for us. I paid Petterson more as to lock him up for 4 years, and I gave ZAR a little more at the same term of 2 years just to be realistic as to what he will probably get after arbitration. The lines I had would still basically be the same as listed above IMO, but based on feedback on Kahun, I shifted him to 3C and moved Bjugstad up to be Malkin's defensive-minded RW while Tanev can be a 4th line evergy player.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,600,000
2$1,400,000
2$4,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 4th round pick (OTT)
PIT
  1. Gusev, Nikita [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
VGK
  1. Simon, Dominik
  2. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,501,250$132,500$2,850,000$5,998,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$1,893,750$1,893,750
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 18, 2019 at 11:17 p.m.
Switch Simon with ZAR and it’s literally perfect.
Jul. 18, 2019 at 11:20 p.m.
Quoting: dgfresh78

I'm guessing you're saying that because you believe Simon is better and you'd like to keep him? All the more reason he should be the prospect included in the trade to make it realistic. Moreover, ZAR plays more of a fourth line role anyways and hasn't shown as much as Simon due to his injuries which while it makes his trade value lower than someone like Simon who played with Sid a sizeable portion of last year, it means he's open to show us more not that he's healthy.

I'm glad you like the rest though. I'm actually impressed with this one and how it could actually be a reality unlike others I've made or especially some of these outlandish ones on here. Not making an extraordinary amount of trades just to mess with the team. We're trading for a pick, doable. RFA rights, yup very possible. The least possible is the Johnson trade but Im convinced that's one of the very few plausible trades we can make and we all know Rust is going to be going with him probably looking at Tanevs cap hit.
Jul. 18, 2019 at 11:28 p.m.
Quoting: Choino
I'm guessing you're saying that because you believe Simon is better and you'd like to keep him? All the more reason he should be the prospect included in the trade to make it realistic. Moreover, ZAR plays more of a fourth line role anyways and hasn't shown as much as Simon due to his injuries which while it makes his trade value lower than someone like Simon who played with Sid a sizeable portion of last year, it means he's open to show us more not that he's healthy.

I'm glad you like the rest though. I'm actually impressed with this one and how it could actually be a reality unlike others I've made or especially some of these outlandish ones on here. Not making an extraordinary amount of trades just to mess with the team. We're trading for a pick, doable. RFA rights, yup very possible. The least possible is the Johnson trade but Im convinced that's one of the very few plausible trades we can make and we all know Rust is going to be going with him probably looking at Tanevs cap hit.

I like it a lot and it’s extremely realistic however ZAR being more of a fourth liner can be a bit of a non factor if Simon is still on the team because he’d play with Sid and likely force Tanev into a fourth line role which is where he should be. I feel like if they were to add Gusev we’re talking about a strong possibility of Tanev-Blueger-Hornqvist being the fourth line.
Jul. 18, 2019 at 11:32 p.m.
I feel like if they were to add Gusev we’re talking about a strong possibility of Tanev-Blueger-Hornqvist being the fourth line.

I don't like the idea of Hornqvist being wasted on the fourth line with that cap hit. I'm glad you like it, though I did give some reasoning as to why I think the lines should be the way they are here.
Jul. 18, 2019 at 11:36 p.m.
I don't like the idea of Hornqvist being wasted on the fourth line with that cap hit. I'm glad you like it, though I did give some reasoning as to why I think the lines should be the way they are here.

I just read the descriptions a bit and I think I want Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist more than anything.
Choino liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:03 a.m.
I just read the descriptions a bit and I think I want Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist more than anything.

RIGHT?! If we get Gusev I feel like we get amazing depth for little price being able to push him down but having that be a legit scoring line.
dgfresh78 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:32 a.m.
noahginty1
Gudbranson at his cap hit and style will not get us anywhere close to a second rounder. Ottawa is looking to rebuild, not take on big contracts and sacrifice a second round pick for a third pair defenseman. A more realistic deal would look like: Gudbranson + 5th for a 4th from Ottawa. I don't see Gudbranson being moved regardless, but your return for him was too high.

Also no way I can see GMJR moving both Gudbranson & Johnson.

Gusev is also an interesting thought (and a good, fair deal) that you proposed. The only problem I see there is that Galchenyuk, McCann, ZAR, Kahun, Schultz, Murray (and through your scenario here) Forbort are all going to need to get paid next summer. The $4M given to Gusev ties our hand and will make us lose more of those guys than we would like. That $4M alone for Gusev could probably only keep Murray and MAYBE McCann around. Unless Bjugstad gets dumped to give us more space, I can't see Gusev as a realistic possibility either.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Edited Jul. 19, 2019 at 9:29 a.m.
Quoting: noahginty1
Gudbranson at his cap hit and style will not get us anywhere close to a second rounder. Ottawa is looking to rebuild, not take on big contracts and sacrifice a second round pick for a third pair defenseman. A more realistic deal would look like: Gudbranson + 5th for a 4th from Ottawa. I don't see Gudbranson being moved regardless, but your return for him was too high.

Also no way I can see GMJR moving both Gudbranson & Johnson.

Gusev is also an interesting thought (and a good, fair deal) that you proposed. The only problem I see there is that Galchenyuk, McCann, ZAR, Kahun, Schultz, Murray (and through your scenario here) Forbort are all going to need to get paid next summer. The $4M given to Gusev ties our hand and will make us lose more of those guys than we would like. That $4M alone for Gusev could probably only keep Murray and MAYBE McCann around. Unless Bjugstad gets dumped to give us more space, I can't see Gusev as a realistic possibility either.

Meh, I think Gudbranson fits their style and being from Ottawa would be appealing to get him. I do agree they're trying to rebuild, and as such, you don't want to do TOO well as to get the higher draft picks, but with the recent changes to the top three picks, I think Ottawa would still at least want to be competitive. Currently, their top pair RHD is Zaitsev, of whom, I think could have a resurgence given the chance to produce offensively, but I wouldn't trust him with top-pairing minutes. Their other RHD is Hainsey. They have pleeeenty of cap space, and I do believe they'd be wise to get Gudbranson actually to help them on that side. They also have 3 second round picks, so while you obviously want to stockpile for a rebuild, I think this is possible.

So aside from what pick we could get in return, I do believe Gudbranson to Ottawa could be a real possibility seeing as we only really got him to help with Schultz out. Now that we're entering a full year, I hope Rutherford sees he's not needed even though he didn't necesarilly do bad, $4 mil for a bottom pair on a contending team is not ideal at all. So we ship him out for a pick without needing to waste anything else. Meanwhile, we ship Rust out with Johnson to make that possible with a serviceable return. I also believe this is doable with Johnson having been drafter there, plays more of a Kings style, and can replace Forbort at only slightly higher cap for them while they get a good younger forward in Rust.

So yeah, Gusev, I was down on at first but came around to. That's the rumored deal and it would be amazing to sign him to it. ZAR would be on a two-year deal in my proposed scenario, so he's good for next year. Galchenyuk being pushed down to the third line would in a way help him not get a huge raise even if he clicks here, while he might like it here and find success as to want to re-sign here, he might not put up monster numbers playing alongside Sid or Geno as to command a huge raise, so I think he's safe. Kahun I think could play around the lineup and get chances with Sid or Geno, but he's in a similar situation being an RFA like ZAR and I think he gets slightly over a million next year, not much concern there. Forbort is more of a stop-gap, while Johnson obviously isn't good, I think there's a hole there without him. Forbort isn't amazing but he did play alongside Doughty showing his potential. I think Riikola would be better as our 7th dman, or either way we have at least some depth without our LHDs being only Dumo and Petterson basically. He can walk next year as Joseph and Addison work their way in.

I'd be more worried about McCann, Schultz, and Murray. Murray I think we stick with even if he has another bad year, but I think he would get around like $5.5? That'd be fair, maybe $6. Either way, that's where you spend whatever space you get from the cap raising and Forbort being out *first* along with the slight raises to everyone else. That does leave McCann and Schultz though. McCann I'm more worried about with a full season on Sid's wing he could end up producing a ton and command a huge raise. However, he is an RFA so we have something to work with there. Honestly, I think Schultz should be gone after next year. I'd been playing around with scenarios with possibly trading him proactively as to not lose him for nothing, but if he commands too big of a raise, I think it'd be better to get what you can from him now and let him walk, saying thanks for your service. We could then possibly seek Faulk in FA or someone else, and that's probably the biggest concern in regard to future cap and positional changes, everything else I see being covered.

Edit: Added this to the description as well, but I made a possible future outlook for this roster found at https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1336812 where we can hand out some sizable raises and still be slightly under the cap. I gave everyone a good bump that I think should stay, but I did let Schultz walk and signed Faulk who's younger and from what I've seen, was rumored to make what Schultz is *now* on his next contract, but I gave him slightly more - whether we land him or not is another story, but it shows we can still spend a decent amount on a 2RHD. POJ comes in as the bottom pair LD for cheap. Addison and Blandisi can be scratches with Jarry also re-signed for WBS. I gave Kahun $1.6 mil on a two-year deal similar but greater than ZARs proposed deal here assuming he's slightly more skilled/higher cap next year. McCann, it depends on how well he does obviously, but being an RFA, I think $3.5 would be fair over 4 years. He could very well click with Sid and Guentzel, but I think his success would come from playing with them as opposed to Guentzel proving his worth by himself. Gave Murray $6 mil over five years until he's 30 basically, I think that's enough to bring him back at term. Galchenyuk gets a slight raise as I don't think he's going to do anything to command a HUGE raise and will work well on that third line. Thoughts on this? I think it works dcently well and this current roster is actually pretty forward-looking and doesn't straddle us too bad for next year by not having Johnson, Gudbranson, Rust, and Forbort's cap hits on the books.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 11:36 a.m.
A second is a lot for Guddy, maybe a 4th... MP is gonna want more than 2.1x4, I still say 1.7-1.8 by two is a very good deal, KAHUN IS NOT A 4TH LINER I'd swap Tanev and Bjugstad if you want a decent defensive player on that line, have Kahun at 3C (AT WORST), Tanev at 3RW and Hornqvist at 4RW, Sullivan said Tanev isn't a top 6 player, he's a bottom 6 energy guy Riikola is probably better than Ruhwedel, but I wouldn't want either in my top 6, I'm sure you can find a team willing to give up a bottom pairing d man for a late pick, or you could keep Guddy, trade out Hornqvist, sign a guy like Aberg to play the 4th line and have something like this
McCann-Sid-Guentzel
Gusev-Geno-Bjugstad
Galch-Kahun-Tanev
ZAR-Blueger-Aberg

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Forbert-Guddy
Riikola/Ruhwedel
A. Johnson
Palve/Blandisi/other guy on PTO or a different FA signing like DSP as healthy scratches
Jul. 19, 2019 at 12:08 p.m.
I have heard Kahun could play any forward position, having him at 3C with Bjugstad as Malkin's defensive RW is something I didn't think of, I like it. Hornqvist ain't getting traded though. Sure, we could up that Petterson contract to like $2.6 over 4 then if you're thinking the term would cause him to want a higher cap which you're right, and it'd still be under the cap.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.

I've got no idea why anyone wants to get rid of Simon. Every line he was on last year played better with him on it. Trading Simon is a mistake.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: jboyd919
I've got no idea why anyone wants to get rid of Simon. Every line he was on last year played better with him on it. Trading Simon is a mistake.

I get crushed for this all the time but I’m hellbent on Simon playing with Sid because when Simon is on that top line it immediately becomes one of the best lines in the league in terms of possession.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
I'll give it to you that Simon is a good possession player and makes others around him better, but that's why you trade him to get Gusev. You don't just get to trade your worse players for the player you want to get, it doesn't work that way. Moreover though, while I admit that forthright, I hate him. Possession numbers are only part of the picture, obviously valuable, but he doesn't turn that into actual production. Even when he boosted Sid's lines possession numbers, it didn't translate into more points, hence why Rust ended up getting back up their with Sid and Guentzel. Know why he has good possession numbers? He just holds on to the puck way too much, especially when there's better players around him he should be getting it to. He can't finish worth ****, frankly I think he sucks, but everyone else thinks he's good, hence why I put him in the trade.

Edit: Another thing, the asking price is a prospect and a pick, not another prospect's RFA rights like many are trying to trade ZAR for Gusev, it doesn't even make sense. Meanwhile, we have plenty of skilled wingers that can play top-six minutes, or even top-nine, ZAR is more of a 4th liner than Simon, and I'd much rather see the lineup I have listed with McCann on the first line than Simon.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
I'll give it to you that Simon is a good possession player and makes others around him better, but that's why you trade him to get Gusev. You don't just get to trade your worse players for the player you want to get, it doesn't work that way. Moreover though, while I admit that forthright, I hate him. Possession numbers are only part of the picture, obviously valuable, but he doesn't turn that into actual production. Even when he boosted Sid's lines possession numbers, it didn't translate into more points, hence why Rust ended up getting back up their with Sid and Guentzel. Know why he has good possession numbers? He just holds on to the puck way too much, especially when there's better players around him he should be getting it to. He can't finish worth ****, frankly I think he sucks, but everyone else thinks he's good, hence why I put him in the trade.

Edit: Another thing, the asking price is a prospect and a pick, not another prospect's RFA rights like many are trying to trade ZAR for Gusev, it doesn't even make sense. Meanwhile, we have plenty of skilled wingers that can play top-six minutes, or even top-nine, ZAR is more of a 4th liner than Simon, and I'd much rather see the lineup I have listed with McCann on the first line than Simon.

I get what you’re saying I just don’t think the Penguins really need Gusev. The forward group is fine but what this team really needs is to dump Johnson and Gudbranson and get somewhat serviceable replacements in return. Forbort is good but I’d try and add a pick with Gudbranson in order to get Dylan DeMelo back to play on that third pair.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 1:16 p.m.
Gusev's PPG translates to a 1.06 PPG in the NHL. Should that actually happen, we replaced Phil's offensive production for cheap. You absolutely do this if you can and you can't say we would be equally fine if we just played Simon instead.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.
Gusev's PPG translates to a 1.06 PPG in the NHL. Should that actually happen, we replaced Phil's offensive production for cheap. You absolutely do this if you can and you can't say we would be equally fine if we just played Simon instead.

You’re not wrong and it’s also solid use of Simon as a trade asset because most trades he’s involved in on here are as a throw in to a cap dump simply because people don’t like him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll