$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$2,450,000$2,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 23, 2019 at 10:40 p.m.
i would say thats a nay nay from the canucks perspective..
Oct. 23, 2019 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: remowilliams
i would say thats a nay nay from the canucks perspective..

Is it too little from Leafs or just no interest in trading ferland?
Oct. 24, 2019 at 1:50 a.m.
#LeafsFever
I think a lot of people, particularly Leafs fans, don't get the core problem. It is not JUST hitting (ie appearing like the Leafs play soft), it is the style of play and system that they are trying to follow. So, I ask that you all consider this, if the roster doesn't change over the course of the year, or year to year next season, could the Leafs do better in a different system, implementing a different style of play? I would certainly answer yes, and that tells me, a simple (or not so simple) coaching change, but seriously improve an overall team record and general permission even if the Leafs don't score nearly as much under a new system.

So, with respect to your proposed deal. I do not think that, as is, Michael Ferland would excel under Mike Babcock. To hopefully illustrate my point, let me provide you with an example. I think we can all agree that under Bill Peters, with what the Flames were all about last season, a very similar style to the Leafs, James Neal did not succeed. Neal gets traded and Edmonton finds a new, much more conservative coach, and look to Neal now. Maybe it's more of a coach not playing to an individual player's strength, if that strength runs counter-intuitive to how a coach wants the team, as a whole to play.

My overall point is, there are a lot of people around here creating AGMs that see the Leafs acquire more physical players. That's great, in theory, but I don't think much would change. There needs to be more signififcant change, and you can't trade a third, or half of your team.

That is why I believe Sheldon Keefe taking over is basically a certainty at this point. This run-and-gone offense, that causes way too many turnovers, and especially from some of their superstar players, with lackluster defensive zone play and coverage, will not cut it against playoff-caliber teams.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 7:23 a.m.
Quoting: MG1986
I think a lot of people, particularly Leafs fans, don't get the core problem. It is not JUST hitting (ie appearing like the Leafs play soft), it is the style of play and system that they are trying to follow. So, I ask that you all consider this, if the roster doesn't change over the course of the year, or year to year next season, could the Leafs do better in a different system, implementing a different style of play? I would certainly answer yes, and that tells me, a simple (or not so simple) coaching change, but seriously improve an overall team record and general permission even if the Leafs don't score nearly as much under a new system.

So, with respect to your proposed deal. I do not think that, as is, Michael Ferland would excel under Mike Babcock. To hopefully illustrate my point, let me provide you with an example. I think we can all agree that under Bill Peters, with what the Flames were all about last season, a very similar style to the Leafs, James Neal did not succeed. Neal gets traded and Edmonton finds a new, much more conservative coach, and look to Neal now. Maybe it's more of a coach not playing to an individual player's strength, if that strength runs counter-intuitive to how a coach wants the team, as a whole to play.

My overall point is, there are a lot of people around here creating AGMs that see the Leafs acquire more physical players. That's great, in theory, but I don't think much would change. There needs to be more signififcant change, and you can't trade a third, or half of your team.

That is why I believe Sheldon Keefe taking over is basically a certainty at this point. This run-and-gone offense, that causes way too many turnovers, and especially from some of their superstar players, with lackluster defensive zone play and coverage, will not cut it against playoff-caliber teams.

Spot on, MG.
MG1986 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986

I fully agree with your sentiment. However, the proposed trade had more to do with what I felt are currently mismatched personnel on their respective lines. Johnsson is a solid player, but I find he's not the best fit with that line, nor do I think he's a fit on the JT line. Ceci is being put in the same position as Zaitsev was a year ago. He's being asked to play above his abilities with this team. He's looked out of sync with Reilly. Seeing as how the Muz-Barrie paring is set and having a guy on your 3rd pairing chewing up 4.5M is not ideal, I'd be trying to move him out. Tanev is attainable from Vancouver and Ferland seems to have stumbled out of the gates. Might be worth while to have a guy on Matthews line that can muck things up along the boards and stand his ground in front of the net. That was my thought process on the proposal. It really had nothing to do with being able to throw a check.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: tony135420
I fully agree with your sentiment. However, the proposed trade had more to do with what I felt are currently mismatched personnel on their respective lines. Johnsson is a solid player, but I find he's not the best fit with that line, nor do I think he's a fit on the JT line. Ceci is being put in the same position as Zaitsev was a year ago. He's being asked to play above his abilities with this team. He's looked out of sync with Reilly. Seeing as how the Muz-Barrie paring is set and having a guy on your 3rd pairing chewing up 4.5M is not ideal, I'd be trying to move him out. Tanev is attainable from Vancouver and Ferland seems to have stumbled out of the gates. Might be worth while to have a guy on Matthews line that can muck things up along the boards and stand his ground in front of the net. That was my thought process on the proposal. It really had nothing to do with being able to throw a check.

Not to jump in outta turn, but I think your rationale is pretty solid, Tony. I agree with MG, though. The leafs challenges right now probably have less to do with personel and more to do with how they're approaching and playing the game, imo. They should fix that wrinkle first before looking for outside fixes. They have a pretty solid roster to work with as is.
Oct. 25, 2019 at 10:45 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: tony135420

I always appreciate creativity, especially when it is something more outside-the-box, as far as repetitive deals being discussed over and over and over again (even though that can, of course, sometimes be fun). I guess my point, in part was, that it is harder to find a potential fit when a system is so based on speed. So, perhaps Ferland and Tanev stay healthy, and healthy enough to excel. I actually think a healthy Tanev playing top consistent minutes with Rielly is more of guarantee of a fit than Ferland, who would probably be tried out in a number of different options/line combos. Honestly, I would say based on need, Jay Beagle would have been more of a fit than Ferland, but for the great refreshing play of Frederick Gauthier and Nick Shore, but could still be useful as far as our PK. It's hard to find a good fit in the Leafs current systems, and that's really what I wanted to point out. With more of a conservative or blended style, there could and probably would be a number of interesting trade possibilities.

My one additional thought is that, at least early on, the Leafs scouting department did a heck of a job with Ilya Mikheyev. At 6'3, he's a heck of a skater, never seems to take a shift off, has great edges, good hands and a good **** and most importantly, is committed to defence. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Leafs are already working to try and extend him, but his greatly early play may cause some issues there. It's players like him that the Leafs need, and they are hard to find. @tony135420 I appreciate your comments and feedback.
blowing_the_zone liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll