Forums/Armchair-GM

Zucker year 2 plus Maatta returns after buyout from CHI

Created by: dgfresh78
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2020
Published: Jan. 11, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Maatta is a potential buyout candidate for Chicago and he’d be such a low-risk type of signing coming into a situation where the quality of players and potential defensive partners is better. Let Riikola play the full season on the right side until Addison is ready and that’s when all of this will get really fun.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$725,000
1$725,000
1$725,000
1$725,000
1$725,000
1$725,000
1$725,000
3$3,750,000
3$2,750,000
5$4,000,000
5$4,000,000
3$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Maatta, Olli
2$1,500,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2021 6th round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. 2021 7th round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,000,000$77,175,000$0$850,000$6,825,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
Maatta, Olli
$1,500,000$1,500,000
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 12, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: dgfresh78
The only reason he wouldn’t receive a warm welcome is because people made him out to be the scapegoat throughout his tenure. He’s no different than Murray and Dom Simon in that regard.

Yeah I agree. But the biggest scapegoat made by Pens fans was Conor Sheary.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: Banks
Yes, there is.

Thanks for the clarification
Jan. 12, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
Yeah I agree. But the biggest scapegoat made by Pens fans was Conor Sheary.

This is 100% fact...wasn’t a bad player at all and lit it up with crosby that one year. I still believe the only reason people hated him in the end was because he went into a role similar to what Simon plays now which is the all possession little to no scoring type of game and people are unwilling to accept that style because they want the instant gratification of a goal.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

Based off that new information all 3 should be eliminated then?
dgfresh78 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
JJ doesn't pass the eye test because every time Letang coughs the puck up and lets the other team score they put the camera on JJ as if it's his fault.

Honestly, his play this year has been solid. I don't know who could complain about it. Especially after last year where they left him out to dry on his off side.
Just hush up and cut the guy some slack. He get's it enough from the crooked ass media who wouldn't dare put that camera on Letang because it doesn't fit the narrative.

I'm not saying I keep JJ on this team long term. I don't. He does have a hard time clearing the zone. But he has played well in his own end if you think he makes mistakes with the puck, lets sit down and have a real long conversation about Letang back there.
One is quick to jump on Jack and his whooping 14 give aways this year. But not say a word about Letang and his 53!!!!!

JJ is the least of the problems back there. To be honest, it's getting to the point that I would rather move Letang than JJ.

You are mostly right. Definitely would not move Letang over Johnson. Letang does so much more good than bad. He has the puck on his stick so much of course he is going to have more turnovers. But the good far outweighs the bad.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
Banned
This is 100% fact...wasn’t a bad player at all and lit it up with crosby that one year. I still believe the only reason people hated him in the end was because he went into a role similar to what Simon plays now which is the all possession little to no scoring type of game and people are unwilling to accept that style because they want the instant gratification of a goal.

Yeah exactly I always feel that Simon reminds me of Sheary based off the way he plays. Good on the forecheck and contributes to generating offensive zone time and scoring chances. But rarely gets the puck in the net. I think they traded him because they needed cap relief, and the team looks even better now.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.

What? No apology?
Jan. 12, 2020 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Based off that new information all 3 should be eliminated then?

You obviously have no clue about anything hockey related if you are saying Johnson has been having a below average year. He has been one of the most consistent defenseman on the team. Good plus minus rating. His corsi rating vs his zone starts is great. He passes the eye test as well. He has been the teams top penalty killer. He has been physical. He is carrying the puck out of the zone well. Chipping in in the offensive zone. Management obviously thinks very highly of his leadership and mentoring abilities for the younger dmen.

Maatta is not going to be bought out. A 25 year old, 2 time Stanley cup winner defenseman that has had the success that maatta has does not get bought out. He might get traded, but definitely not bought out.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: DonkeyLips
You obviously have no clue about anything hockey related if you are saying Johnson has been having a below average year. He has been one of the most consistent defenseman on the team. Good plus minus rating. His corsi rating vs his zone starts is great. He passes the eye test as well. He has been the teams top penalty killer. He has been physical. He is carrying the puck out of the zone well. Chipping in in the offensive zone. Management obviously thinks very highly of his leadership and mentoring abilities for the younger dmen.

Maatta is not going to be bought out. A 25 year old, 2 time Stanley cup winner defenseman that has had the success that maatta has does not get bought out. He might get traded, but definitely not bought out.

Below is my exact quote from this thread. Please tell me where I said anything close to what you are claiming? Maybe you messaged the wrong person? Maybe it’s hard to keep track with multi burners. Idk just stop quoting me. Your points you made earlier I agreed you nothing else to talk about.

“Yeah of course but he’s on the team and he’s also Crosby best friend. You already have hiM signed long term might as well make the best of it. He gets overly critique some just some unjust. Either way he’s been pretty impressive this year. He’s done beyond what I expected him to do”
dgfresh78 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Below is my exact quote from this thread. Please tell me where I said anything close to what you are claiming? Maybe you messaged the wrong person? Maybe it’s hard to keep track with multi burners. Idk just stop quoting me. Your points you made earlier I agreed you nothing else to talk about.

“Yeah of course but he’s on the team and he’s also Crosby best friend. You already have hiM signed long term might as well make the best of it. He gets overly critique some just some unjust. Either way he’s been pretty impressive this year. He’s done beyond what I expected him to do”

Right over your head.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Analytics are good
JJ doesn't pass the eye test because every time Letang coughs the puck up and lets the other team score they put the camera on JJ as if it's his fault.

Honestly, his play this year has been solid. I don't know who could complain about it. Especially after last year where they left him out to dry on his off side.
Just hush up and cut the guy some slack. He get's it enough from the crooked ass media who wouldn't dare put that camera on Letang because it doesn't fit the narrative.

I'm not saying I keep JJ on this team long term. I don't. He does have a hard time clearing the zone. But he has played well in his own end if you think he makes mistakes with the puck, lets sit down and have a real long conversation about Letang back there.
One is quick to jump on Jack and his whooping 14 give aways this year. But not say a word about Letang and his 53!!!!!

JJ is the least of the problems back there. To be honest, it's getting to the point that I would rather move Letang than JJ.

It's almost like Letang's results dipped after he was paired with Johnson.

His play hasn't been solid at all, it's been average. Nobody puts the camera on Letang because his results are routinely very good to borderline elite.

It's almost like Letang has more turnovers since he's the main puck-moving defenseman on the team, and it's almost like all offensive defensemen will have more turnovers.

If you'd rather move Letang than Johnson, I guess you'd be open to trading Crosby too since the team is playing well without him. F*cking r*tard
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.
What? No apology?

None needed as it’s probably a common mistake. I’m not a guru and you aren’t either even though you pretend to be whenever someone doesn’t agree with your sometimes god awful point of view.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
None needed as it’s probably a common mistake. I’m not a guru and you aren’t either even though you pretend to be whenever someone doesn’t agree with your sometimes god awful point of view.

Not common at all. You're just a jerk.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
Not common at all. You're just a jerk.

You’ve been the one coming at me here...you didn’t have to comment at all. But you do it anyway because you’re a lifeless troll. You are ill informed and actually believe that +/- is the same thing as analytics. Idk how anyone can be this mind numbingly stupid but apparently you are.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: PenGoater99
It's almost like Letang's results dipped after he was paired with Johnson.

His play hasn't been solid at all, it's been average. Nobody puts the camera on Letang because his results are routinely very good to borderline elite.

It's almost like Letang has more turnovers since he's the main puck-moving defenseman on the team, and it's almost like all offensive defensemen will have more turnovers.

If you'd rather move Letang than Johnson, I guess you'd be open to trading Crosby too since the team is playing well without him. F*cking r*tard

Was it the FL game or the VGK game where he just handed the puck over to the other team right in front of the net. But hey, really lets blame that on johnson. Sure, lets go with that....

Put the pot down. Letangs bone head moves are all on his own.
You can come up with excuses all day. It's been a problem for what the last 3 seasons now.
I know, wait, lets blame it all on JJ even though he wasn't even here all that time.

Idiot.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
You’ve been the one coming at me here...you didn’t have to comment at all. But you do it anyway because you’re a lifeless troll. You are ill informed and actually believe that +/- is the same thing as analytics. Idk how anyone can be this mind numbingly stupid but apparently you are.

Dude just tried to call me out then played it off as a “over my head” joke. He’s lost just let ignore him and he’ll go away ha
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Was it the FL game or the VGK game where he just handed the puck over to the other team right in front of the net. But hey, really lets blame that on johnson. Sure, lets go with that....

Put the pot down. Letangs bone head moves are all on his own.
You can come up with excuses all day. It's been a problem for what the last 3 seasons now.
I know, wait, lets blame it all on JJ even though he wasn't even here all that time.

Idiot.

Letang single handedly won that series for Washington 2 years ago. He’s overrated imo.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Dude just tried to call me out then played it off as a “over my head” joke. He’s lost just let ignore him and he’ll go away ha

This has been off and on since the offseason...idk how white knighting Jack Johnson is the hill someone dies on but I guess it applies here.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Banned
You are mostly right. Definitely would not move Letang over Johnson. Letang does so much more good than bad. He has the puck on his stick so much of course he is going to have more turnovers. But the good far outweighs the bad.

It's getting to the point he's costing the team double digit games with bad play. I mean really one more playoff year where he costs games with stupid decision making and you have to start to wonder how short the leash is.
Some of the mistakes are just egregious.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.

All corsi is is shot attempts for and against. +/- is goals for and against. Goals are shots. +/- and corsi are determined by the same thing. All the negative aspects of +/- are also included in corsi.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
It's getting to the point he's costing the team double digit games with bad play. I mean really one more playoff year where he costs games with stupid decision making and you have to start to wonder how short the leash is.
Some of the mistakes are just egregious.

There's no denying he makes some pretty boneheaded plays. There is also no denying that the penguins are a better team with him than without.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 5:17 a.m.
Banned
There's no denying he makes some pretty boneheaded plays. There is also no denying that the penguins are a better team with him than without.

that really depends on who you replace him with at this point doesn't it?
I'm not saying I would move him for nothing.
The whole point was people want to complain about Jack Johnson and act like he is the main issue back there. He's not. There is more than enough blame to go around and the truth is defensemen shouldn't be turning the puck over 53 times. Those are bigger issues than anything JJ is doing.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
that really depends on who you replace him with at this point doesn't it?
I'm not saying I would move him for nothing.
The whole point was people want to complain about Jack Johnson and act like he is the main issue back there. He's not. There is more than enough blame to go around and the truth is defensemen shouldn't be turning the puck over 53 times. Those are bigger issues than anything JJ is doing.

Of course it matters who you replace him with. There is nobody in the pens organization who is anywhere close to being able to do the things he does.

I absolutely agree with what you are saying about Johnson. No one on this site has been saying that longer than I have.

I'm not sure if 53 turnovers is the stat to be looking at though. That doesn't paint the whole picture. I'd like to see the ratio of turnovers vs attempts. That's far more important.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll