SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Cap expectations

May 25, 2020 at 1:36 a.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I didn't get the alerts. I have another phone but I have to write down all of my contact info and such before I can switch the phones.

It's hard to say because we haven't been hit with the second wave of this yet, but I think the league will limit how many people can come to games based on the capacity of each arena until this goes away for good. Also, as of right now I think the cap will be the same but it's all depending on how long this lasts more so the second wave. If this drags into next season the cap will drop I'm not sure how much as your guess is as good as mine but if that happens alot of players will be playing overseas because teams won't be able to pay them what they want or players will have to start taking massive discounts if they want to play in the NHL. I'm not sure if that answers your questions bit that's my take on what will happen as of rn.

No worries on the phone stuff.

About how teams can/will afford players, the best answer is salary rollbacks. These rollbacks will have to be negiotated and so as to how high the rollbacks are is anyone's guess.

The part I will disagree with you on is the fans being in arenas. As long as COVID-19 is prevalent in North America, I doubt there will be any fans at arenas. These leagues should prepare for the next season to be played without any fans all season long.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 8:24 a.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I completely support sports not returning at all as I think the human cost is too high.

At the same time its becoming a daily struggle to copp with current state of things.

I completely agree with you bud. One other thing is we haven't got hit with the second wave yet and I fear the government will open up too much to soon and then we will be back in quarantine for longer.
Trickster liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 8:35 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
No worries on the phone stuff.

About how teams can/will afford players, the best answer is salary rollbacks. These rollbacks will have to be negiotated and so as to how high the rollbacks are is anyone's guess.

The part I will disagree with you on is the fans being in arenas. As long as COVID-19 is prevalent in North America, I doubt there will be any fans at arenas. These leagues should prepare for the next season to be played without any fans all season long.

Your rollback idea is a good one and I assume you're referring to players already under contract because the ones who aren't won't be getting anywhere close to what they thought they would before all this happened.

It's really all depending on how this plays out but owners need to make as much money as possible so if they can get even 5 thousand fans in a 30 thousand capacity arena I think they will if the government doesn't allow it then you're right sports will be played in empty arenas. Personally, I agree arenas should be empty but if owners have the option I can't see them throwing away $.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 9:13 a.m.
Your rollback idea is a good one and I assume you're referring to players already under contract because the ones who aren't won't be getting anywhere close to what they thought they would before all this happened.

It's really all depending on how this plays out but owners need to make as much money as possible so if they can get even 5 thousand fans in a 30 thousand capacity arena I think they will if the government doesn't allow it then you're right sports will be played in empty arenas. Personally, I agree arenas should be empty but if owners have the option I can't see them throwing away $.

Of course the owners would want even some fans as opposed to zero fans but yeah it's the government's call on that and I don't see the government allowing gatherings that big.

The rollbacks idea is not new. It was done before and because arenas will be empty, rollbacks are just about guaranteed imo.

So...question for you: if Pietrangelo was set to get 9 million/year pre-COVID-19, what does he get now with salary rollbacks? My guess is he gets 6-7 million/year.

Infact, it might be smart on his part to sign a 1-2 year deal, let the league lock up a new US t.v. deal, let the new CBA get decided on and then sign his big deal.

What do you think?
May 25, 2020 at 9:40 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
I completely agree with you bud. One other thing is we haven't got hit with the second wave yet and I fear the government will open up too much to soon and then we will be back in quarantine for longer.

10000000%
May 25, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Of course the owners would want even some fans as opposed to zero fans but yeah it's the government's call on that and I don't see the government allowing gatherings that big.

The rollbacks idea is not new. It was done before and because arenas will be empty, rollbacks are just about guaranteed imo.

So...question for you: if Pietrangelo was set to get 9 million/year pre-COVID-19, what does he get now with salary rollbacks? My guess is he gets 6-7 million/year.

Infact, it might be smart on his part to sign a 1-2 year deal, let the league lock up a new US t.v. deal, let the new CBA get decided on and then sign his big deal.

What do you think?

At his age, signing a bridge deal is no buneo
May 25, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.

He may not have a choice if the $$$ is not there as believe it won't be. It's a gamble for him but his choices suck.
May 25, 2020 at 7:42 p.m.

What do you think?

I think this is where we were differing with our thoughts. I agree that he Canadian government won't allow fans it's Trump that worries me. Another aspect to consider is leagues using hub cities where social distancing is more of a possibility because owners and the leagues are grasping at straws to try and make as much revenue as possible.

I'm still giving you credit for the idea lol.

IMO, Petro is a bad example only because I think he wants to stay and will take less to stay in St. Louis but I get your point. Also, I've been a huge advocate that the new t.v. deal won't come close to the NBA's and even more so now. But like I said I get your point and agree that alot of players will be taking short term contracts until they can cash in on a big deal.
oneX liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.

Plus, I think he wants to stay and is one of the rare cases where the player isn't set on getting every dollar he can out of his next contact.
May 25, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
He may not have a choice if the $$$ is not there as believe it won't be. It's a gamble for him but his choices suck.

I think Petro wants to stay with the Blues but someone like Hall will probably go the way you're talking about along with most other players IMO, what do you think?
oneX liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
@Trickster @oneX

I noticed you both like Marvel so do I but I'm wondering if you guys are fans of the hobbit and lord of the rings?
oneX liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 10:21 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
@Trickster @oneX

I noticed you both like Marvel so do I but I'm wondering if you guys are fans of the hobbit and lord of the rings?

I prefer DC over Marvel.
They have much better stories but as far as movies go right now,,Marvel is ahead.

I love the Lord of the Rings.
May 25, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I think Petro wants to stay with the Blues but someone like Hall will probably go the way you're talking about along with most other players IMO, what do you think?

I think Pietrangelo is done in St. Louis.
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
I prefer DC over Marvel.
They have much better stories but as far as movies go right now,,Marvel is ahead.

I love the Lord of the Rings.

I like them both but I'm a huge Hobbit and lord of the rings fan!!!
May 25, 2020 at 11:14 p.m.
I think Pietrangelo is done in St. Louis.

Do you think he'll leave or the blues won't resign him?
oneX liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 1:57 a.m.
Edited May 26, 2020 at 2:03 a.m.

Yeah you do make a good point about Pietrangelo staying. I guess it helps that the team is contender as well so not cashing in on a big deal is slightly less painful because he gets another shot at winning.

I suppose my short term deal idea suits Hall and other UFAs more than it does for Pietrangelo.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 2:02 a.m.
@Trickster @oneX

I'm a fan of both Marvel and DC comics. I have watched the hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. They were cool. I'm considering a subscription to the Disney streaming service because I've run out of stuff to watch.
Trying not to tho...another subscription fee wouldn't be great atm.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:45 a.m.
I'm a fan of both Marvel and DC comics. I have watched the hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. They were cool. I'm considering a subscription to the Disney streaming service because I've run out of stuff to watch.
Trying not to tho...another subscription fee wouldn't be great atm.

I like both DC and Marvel but I'm a huge Hobbit and Lord of the Rings fan and I knew you guys were too! I got Disney plus and I wouldn't recommend it yet because it's so new they don't have enough content yet but it's your call of course.
May 26, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Do you think he'll leave or the blues won't resign him?

Both, not cause they dont want to sign and not because he doesn't want to stay.

The word is money, hes not got a big pay day yet and is this his only chance.
May 26, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I like both DC and Marvel but I'm a huge Hobbit and Lord of the Rings fan and I knew you guys were too! I got Disney plus and I wouldn't recommend it yet because it's so new they don't have enough content yet but it's your call of course.

I changed my avatar thinking people might be thinking I'm a DC United fan or something.

Huge DC fan, 100000$.
May 26, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
Both, not cause they dont want to sign and not because he doesn't want to stay.

The word is money, hes not got a big pay day yet and is this his only chance.

I hear ya, but his last contract wasn't too bad. That being said, I think he wants to stay and will take less, don't get me wrong, I could be completely out to lunch here but I think petro is one of the few people who would take less especially because they just won the cup and his wife is from there also his kids were born there. If he doesn't resign who so you think he'll be playing for next year?
May 26, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
I changed my avatar thinking people might be thinking I'm a DC United fan or something.

Huge DC fan, 100000$.

All good, who cares what a bunch of half-ass ham n eggers think. Most people on this site try to give people **** for everything but they're no better themselves they just project their insecurities on everyone else. You boys are cool and good people don't let anyone make you think otherwise! And if they keep bothering you direct them to me and I'll take care of it.
Trickster liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I hear ya, but his last contract wasn't too bad. That being said, I think he wants to stay and will take less, don't get me wrong, I could be completely out to lunch here but I think petro is one of the few people who would take less especially because they just won the cup and his wife is from there also his kids were born there. If he doesn't resign who so you think he'll be playing for next year?

Too tough to call right now.
May 26, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
Too tough to call right now.

Fair enough
May 26, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Fair enough

Do you like the 24 team format revealed?
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll