$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 29, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
If your not joking, then wow!! We could get more, and I don’t want Matthews because I believe when his contract is up he will go to Arizona.

You want that to happen it's less likely than McDavid demanding a trade to TO. But tell me how it makes sense for a team to give up 2 player that are likely combined for 150-190 points a year for a 100+ point player?
May 29, 2020 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
You want that to happen it's less likely than McDavid demanding a trade to TO. But tell me how it makes sense for a team to give up 2 player that are likely combined for 150-190 points a year for a 100+ point player?

Well he isn’t going to demand a trade, and the reason I said what I did is because I believe Matthews is going to go to Arizona. I think he is worth more simply to the fact that he is the best player in the league so I think we could get more (if we were to trade him) or send him to a different team.
May 29, 2020 at 9:17 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Well he isn’t going to demand a trade, and the reason I said what I did is because I believe Matthews is going to go to Arizona. I think he is worth more simply to the fact that he is the best player in the league so I think we could get more (if we were to trade him) or send him to a different team.

Once again, no one is disputing McDavid is the best player in the league. Great, lets move on to the next part of this. You think Matthews is going to Arizona in 4 years, who cares, that isn't whats being discussed so take that out of the whole discussion. What is being discussed is if TO and Edmonton were making a trade for McDavid for whatever reason, its hypothetical so it doesn't matter why, just what would be fair.

If we isolate each player and give them a value out of 100 based on their impact lets say for the sake of this argument, McDavid is worth 110 units. He's the best offensive player no doubt. Matthews would be worth 90 units being that he is the best goal scorer and has an edge defensively. There you go McDavid is better. Now Nylander showed this season he's at least a 70 point player so lets give him a rating of 75. What is Neal's worth? He did get some goals on the PP but his 5v5 numbers are terrible and his contract and age mean he's essentially a negative value. So just to not go overboard lets say his value is 30 units. Using simple math, TO's package of Nylander and Matthews is worth 160 units while McDavid and Neal are worth 130 units. Why would TO send so much value to get value that is lower than what they are getting in return?
May 29, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Ok before freaking out and going to the extreme the other direction look at points per minute and also consider for the first 3 full seasons under Babcock, Matthews was something like 116th in time on ice while McDavid was first. Now using your logic if one is a 100 point player and the other an 82 point player (an unfair assessment considering Matthews has been above a point a game the past 2 seasons) you are also saying that 1 100 point player is worth more than one 82 point player and (what I am assuming your argument will be) a 60 point winger. Just doing some quick math but 140+ points is more than 100.

While I have agreed and continue to agree that McDavid is the best player in the world, trading a franchise centre who is younger and undeniably has better defensive numbers for McDavid doesn't make sense if it also costs a young player who appears to be close to a point a game player as well.

To simplify if McDavid is worth 100 units of measurement and Matthews is worth 82 units, why would you also give up a player worth 70 units to get the 100 unit player? Especially if it also means you have to get a player worth minus 30 units?

Points per minute haha oh boy. So hypothetical points are worth more than actual points. Make sense. Haha. And technically mcdavid is worth 110 points mathews is with 80 and Nylander is worth 60. So 110 points vs 140 Oilers could find a 30 point difference for less than 7 million. Facts Matthews is paid slightly less than mcdavid and isn’t nearly as good. OH mathews defense is awful. Matthews isn’t a good 2way center. Matthews also is a ghost in the playoffs.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 29, 2020 at 9:51 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: oneX
The difference between McDavid and Matthews is not worlds apart, they are actually closer than you are giving credit here.

The big difference is between Nylander and Neal. McDavid is still the best player in the deal but as mentioned... I'd take 2 players in Matthews and Nylander than one elite player in McDavid.

It just makes for a more complete team.

Yes and no.
1. Maybe you are underestimating just how damn good McDavid is. He is lightyears above the rest of the center group and has been stuck on a crappy team.
2. I get that they would get a good RW, which is obviously valuable, but they also love McDavid and he is gonna cost A LOT to move (same reason people are telling me a bruins trade for Eichel is gonna "start with Pasta", (i dont even want Eichel, but i said that if he wants out, they arent gonna be able to ask a premium for him, which is a fact)
May 29, 2020 at 9:55 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Points per minute haha oh boy. So hypothetical points are worth more than actual points. Make sense. Haha. And technically mcdavid is worth 110 points mathews is with 80 and Nylander is worth 60. So 110 points vs 140 Oilers could find a 30 point difference for less than 7 million. Facts Matthews is paid slightly less than mcdavid and isn’t nearly as good. OH mathews defense is awful. Matthews isn’t a good 2way center. Matthews also is a ghost in the playoffs.

Okay you just aren't going to bother to even fact check what you are saying so this is a useless conversation. You use a larger sample size for one player, deflate the numbers from both Leaf players and blatantly just use your opinion of Matthews without doing any actual research into things.

Here are some facts, Matthews defensive numbers this past season were top 5 in the league for centres. This is true, its been mentioned in the athletic and other media sources using available advance stats. Its also been reported that while McDavid produces crazy offensive numbers, he also bleeds a lot of chances more than a lot of players. Sure some of that is due to Edmonton being legit terrible at 5v5 (ranked 27th in expected goals differential) but he's not really a defensive forward. Matthews was given almost 3 or 4 minutes less ice time per game than McDavid under Babs, that is a major difference in ice time, Matthews also saw a significant reduction in PP time due to Babs being stubborn.

This season McDavid had 55 5v5 points while averaging just under 22 minutes a night vs Matthews doing 55 points while averaging just under 21 minutes per game. McDavid got way more opportunities on the PP and that is where he gets all the points but at 5v5 where most of hockey is played Matthews equaled him and managed to be plus 19 to McDavid's minus 9. Plus minus isn't a good stat, I know that but it also isn't completely irrelevant. If you look at natural stattrick for more information. McDavid has a CF% of 47.93 to Matthews 54.11. SF% McDavid 47.64 vs Mattews 54.63. Expected Goals McDavid 48.29 to Matthews 55.55%. High danger chance percentage McDavid 51.3% vs Matthews 56.26%.

Once again I am not saying Matthews is better or even as good as McDavid but to say that they aren't even close is clearly ridiculous. To say Matthews sucks defensively is utterly ludicrous. By all available numbers, at 5v5 Matthews is arguably the better player. Of course I think its unfair to say so since Matthews has a way better team than McDavid but Matthews is the best player in TO and he is far, far better than you give him credit for. He's every bit a generational player in his own right and without question the best 5v5 goal scorer in the game.

So if they are worth 110 units for McDavid and just because you are really bias against Matthews I'll say 90 units, you only need to find a current value of 20 units to make up the difference. If you'd like I can compare Neal to Nylander but I am sure by now you'll understand that the differences are going to be so massive that this proposed trade will look like a dumpster fire for TO.
May 29, 2020 at 10:02 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Silkysmooth42
Yes and no.
1. Maybe you are underestimating just how damn good McDavid is. He is lightyears above the rest of the center group and has been stuck on a crappy team.
2. I get that they would get a good RW, which is obviously valuable, but they also love McDavid and he is gonna cost A LOT to move (same reason people are telling me a bruins trade for Eichel is gonna "start with Pasta", (i dont even want Eichel, but i said that if he wants out, they arent gonna be able to ask a premium for him, which is a fact)

Yes that last statement is the truth that many on here will refuse to admit or even see. Buffalo is not going to trade Eichel unless he demands a trade and he won't do that until he his NMC kicks in, same with any star. They don't want to just go anywhere they will want to have a say in it and wouldn't until they have that clause in effect. If that is the scenario the return will be deminished. But it still would be hefty. This is the same argument I make when people say if McDavid was to be traded to TO it would be Matthews, Nylander and Rielly and a 1st. Its ****ing ridiculous. First, that price is insane and not close to being worth it 2) if McDavid is demanding a trade he may only have 2 or 3 destinations in mind 3) If TO was one of those teams, why would they offer more than just Matthews? Edmonton would be up against a wall and that is still a generational centre.

If Eichel wanted a trade though and picked Boston, it would at the least be Pasta and likely would cost more than him.
May 29, 2020 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: leaflet
We'll see McDavid in Toronto at some point. It's bound to happen. But not before six years at least.

As your post illustrates, it's not worth it to have the best player in the league without being able to surround him with elite talent. At least Kapanen will be able to skate with him.

We already did. Morgan Rielly is still looking for his jock.
May 29, 2020 at 10:21 a.m.
Banned
Yes that last statement is the truth that many on here will refuse to admit or even see. Buffalo is not going to trade Eichel unless he demands a trade and he won't do that until he his NMC kicks in, same with any star. They don't want to just go anywhere they will want to have a say in it and wouldn't until they have that clause in effect. If that is the scenario the return will be deminished. But it still would be hefty. This is the same argument I make when people say if McDavid was to be traded to TO it would be Matthews, Nylander and Rielly and a 1st. Its ****ing ridiculous. First, that price is insane and not close to being worth it 2) if McDavid is demanding a trade he may only have 2 or 3 destinations in mind 3) If TO was one of those teams, why would they offer more than just Matthews? Edmonton would be up against a wall and that is still a generational centre.

If Eichel wanted a trade though and picked Boston, it would at the least be Pasta and likely would cost more than him.

Nope, bruins wouldnt give up Pasta. And it would be Pasta for Eichel one for one at best for Buffalo
May 29, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
Banned
Nope, bruins wouldnt give up Pasta. And it would be Pasta for Eichel one for one at best for Buffalo

I think you are overvaluing your winger here. Pasta and a 1st would be an incredible win for Boston. Sure Pasta is terrific but Boston is very soon going to be lacking at forward beyond the perfection line. Bergeron is going to start declining soon, no one is immune from the passage of time and when both he and Krejci are declining the Bruins are going to have trouble down the middle. Moving a winger for Eichel would set you up for the next decade and building around him would keep you right up there among the division leaders.
May 29, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Banned
I think you are overvaluing your winger here. Pasta and a 1st would be an incredible win for Boston. Sure Pasta is terrific but Boston is very soon going to be lacking at forward beyond the perfection line. Bergeron is going to start declining soon, no one is immune from the passage of time and when both he and Krejci are declining the Bruins are going to have trouble down the middle. Moving a winger for Eichel would set you up for the next decade and building around him would keep you right up there among the division leaders.

Check my new post first off
Secondly, I do not overvalue him. I honestly didnt think he was a top 5 RW until i saw a string of like 10 "My top 5 at each position" ACGMs and they all had pasta top 3 (some at 1 and some a 2) so like believe me, I am the least biased and overrating of bruins guys
May 29, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Banned
Check my new post first off
Secondly, I do not overvalue him. I honestly didnt think he was a top 5 RW until i saw a string of like 10 "My top 5 at each position" ACGMs and they all had pasta top 3 (some at 1 and some a 2) so like believe me, I am the least biased and overrating of bruins guys

Sure I don't disagree he's a top 5 RW, I just know that the top 10-15 centres are worth more than any winger. I'd also value #1 defenceman over a winger as well. They just do more to effect a game than a winger does. I play hockey and am a winger, I'd love to play centre because I am good at faceoffs but I'm just not good enough, but playing the wing I can contribute, its easy, I just have to worry about my side of the ice and covering the point.
May 29, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
Banned
Sure I don't disagree he's a top 5 RW, I just know that the top 10-15 centres are worth more than any winger. I'd also value #1 defenceman over a winger as well. They just do more to effect a game than a winger does. I play hockey and am a winger, I'd love to play centre because I am good at faceoffs but I'm just not good enough, but playing the wing I can contribute, its easy, I just have to worry about my side of the ice and covering the point.

Thats fair bud, good luck man hope u guys can get back to playing soon...
I get that, thats why its 50/50 tho, which is why i say one-for-one is best.
Again, bruins have Bergy, Krejci, Coyle, (all good top 6 centers) so like bruins dont need to make this trade. Thats why im saying, if it ISSS gonna happen, it would be 1for1 or the bundle i put together in my post

Again: Perhaps a team like the Habs is the go to team. They DESPERATELY need a center
May 29, 2020 at 2:16 p.m.
Banned
Thats fair bud, good luck man hope u guys can get back to playing soon...
I get that, thats why its 50/50 tho, which is why i say one-for-one is best.
Again, bruins have Bergy, Krejci, Coyle, (all good top 6 centers) so like bruins dont need to make this trade. Thats why im saying, if it ISSS gonna happen, it would be 1for1 or the bundle i put together in my post

Again: Perhaps a team like the Habs is the go to team. They DESPERATELY need a center

I am not sure Boston's GM wouldn't take a swing at getting Eichel if he was on the market. Yeah your centres are good now, but for how long? Krejci and Bergeron are both 34 and Coyle is 28. The decline is coming and when it does I don't see anyone in the pipeline that is going to effectively take on those responsibilities.
May 29, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
Banned
I am not sure Boston's GM wouldn't take a swing at getting Eichel if he was on the market. Yeah your centres are good now, but for how long? Krejci and Bergeron are both 34 and Coyle is 28. The decline is coming and when it does I don't see anyone in the pipeline that is going to effectively take on those responsibilities.

Again, check out my newest post. Shows that they still have plenty of depth.
Bruins are great at developing centers (think of bergy and krejci not being from the 1st round, as well as Spooner who was getting good then took a L lol),
So you got Studnicka, Beecher, Frederick, and Becker all coming up, and that leaves Coyle being a trusty Center in a few years (they have him locked up till hes 34) and they can trade / draft / sign anyone
May 29, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
Banned
Again, check out my newest post. Shows that they still have plenty of depth.
Bruins are great at developing centers (think of bergy and krejci not being from the 1st round, as well as Spooner who was getting good then took a L lol),
So you got Studnicka, Beecher, Frederick, and Becker all coming up, and that leaves Coyle being a trusty Center in a few years (they have him locked up till hes 34) and they can trade / draft / sign anyone

I don't think any of those guys are remotely close to as good as Bergy or or Krejci. You remind me of myself when I was younger, I'd see some prospect do decent in the minors and think, that guy is going to be such a star. And then it turned out to be Matt Stajan, who was a good player but never a star. I don't see any thing in Boston's system that looks like a star centre coming down the pipeline, sure they could get lucky and draft one but I don't see any currently.
May 29, 2020 at 11:43 p.m.
Banned
I don't think any of those guys are remotely close to as good as Bergy or or Krejci. You remind me of myself when I was younger, I'd see some prospect do decent in the minors and think, that guy is going to be such a star. And then it turned out to be Matt Stajan, who was a good player but never a star. I don't see any thing in Boston's system that looks like a star centre coming down the pipeline, sure they could get lucky and draft one but I don't see any currently.

Nah i get that, none r gonna be a star Center, but thats why the will draft someone, or trade for someone soon. And who knows, again I didnt think Pasta would be more than a top 6 winger and he became elite, maybe even a franchise player.
May 30, 2020 at 12:02 a.m.
Banned
Nah i get that, none r gonna be a star Center, but thats why the will draft someone, or trade for someone soon. And who knows, again I didnt think Pasta would be more than a top 6 winger and he became elite, maybe even a franchise player.

It's certainly possible.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll