SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Boeser and Markstrom to NJ for Hughes Trade which include cap dump on both sides

Created by: ozman
Published: Jul. 12, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 186/186 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Schneider, CoryNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$6,000,000111-------3.530.887
Subban, P.K.New Jersey DevilsNHL-$9,000,000111---6871118--
Hughes, JackWaivers ExemptNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$925,000111---6171421--
2020 1st round pick (Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Sutter, BrandonVancouver CanucksNHL-$4,375,000111---4471017--
Eriksson, LouiVancouver CanucksNHL-$6,000,000111---496814--
Markström, JacobVancouver CanucksLTIR-$3,666,667011-------2.750.918
Boeser, BrockVancouver CanucksNHL-$5,875,000111---57162945--
Juolevi, OlliWaivers ExemptVancouver CanucksMinor-$0011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$18,010,8342145685514
Change-$3,991,667022-100
Final$14,019,167 (↓)2147 (↑)70 (↑)4 (↓)514152237

Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $8,666,667
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $4,697,500
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Sutter, BrandonVancouver CanucksNHL-$4,375,000111---4471017--
Eriksson, LouiVancouver CanucksNHL-$6,000,000111---496814--
Markström, JacobVancouver CanucksLTIR-$3,666,667011-------2.750.918
Boeser, BrockVancouver CanucksNHL-$5,875,000111---57162945--
Juolevi, OlliWaivers ExemptVancouver CanucksMinor-$0011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Schneider, CoryNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$6,000,000111-------3.530.887
Subban, P.K.New Jersey DevilsNHL-$9,000,000111---6871118--
Hughes, JackWaivers ExemptNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$925,000111---6171421--
2020 1st round pick (Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$302,5002347633512
Change$3,991,6670-2-2100
Final$4,294,167 (↑)2345 (↓)61 (↓)4 (↑)512-15-220
Jul. 12, 2020 at 3:55 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
It seems to me that the Devils are not doing a cap dump, although they could use some depth guys. They have cap space. This is a pretty good trade
ozman liked this.
Jul. 12, 2020 at 8:21 p.m.
So the Canucks get shafted
Jul. 13, 2020 at 4:21 a.m.
2018 Canucks
If Schneider would retire to take a front office job with the Canucks I’d consider this real hard. If yes & I could pull the trigger then resign Marky as a UFA 4/5.25m

Add a 2021 3rd & push me to a yes
Jul. 13, 2020 at 10:08 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: TheAlien
So the Canucks get shafted

uh they get JACK HUGHES
ozman liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 10:43 a.m.
Quoting: HabsFan9
uh they get JACK HUGHES

So? They're taking on a 9mil cap dump while giving up their starting goalie, their young first-line winger, and a former first-round pick
Jul. 13, 2020 at 11:11 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
So? They're taking on a 9mil cap dump while giving up their starting goalie, their young first-line winger, and a former first-round pick

They have Demko, Hughes can replace Boeser, and they are a contender now
ozman liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 11:13 a.m.
They have Demko, Hughes can replace Boeser, and they are a contender now

How are they, contenders? they've gotten worse
Jul. 13, 2020 at 12:53 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
How are they, contenders? they've gotten worse

Agreed, they get worse. But a team that has Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and one of the strongest D corps in the league is still a contender after this
ozman liked this.
Jul. 13, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
Agreed, they get worse. But a team that has Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and one of the strongest D corps in the league is still a contender after this

What are you talking about? Subban makes our D corps worse not better
Jul. 13, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
What are you talking about? Subban makes our D corps worse not better

But you also get to get rid of Eriksson and sutter in one deal that also gets you Jack Hughes. The Canucks window is going to be open for a couple years. Subban doesn’t have as much pressure on him as he did in Jersey. It would be stupid to decline this. Hughes getting better blocks out the fact of Subban declining. In the draft or offseason, Van should get rid of Myers. I’ve seen some good trades involving him. Van would accept this right away. You have no argument against it.
Jul. 14, 2020 at 9:55 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
The Alien does not understand this trade. I don't love it, but I understand it. It hurts our money long term but it makes our team better. I'm not sure if I would do this or not but I know The Alien is very very wrong. That is all.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
ozman
Quoting: reelkena
The Alien does not understand this trade. I don't love it, but I understand it. It hurts our money long term but it makes our team better. I'm not sure if I would do this or not but I know The Alien is very very wrong. That is all.

Nice to see a Canuck fan understanding this trade. If there is someone to blame that is Benning for putting the Canucks in salary cap hell by overpaying on bottom six forwards. To rid of contracts, he need to put sweeteners. The only good team to trade with is Jersey as they do have the space to take on these contracts plus they have the immediate needs that the Canucks provide. On top they too get rid of the dead weights they have.

For the Devils they are the winners by getting Boeser as top RW and Markstrom as their starting Goalie. Add in depth guys in Sutter and Eriksson with a bonus of Juolevi who maybe ready to play for the big club. They get rid of Subban and Schneider at the expense of Jack Hughes and the Vancouver pick which will be in the mid teens anyway. This opens up drafting Marco Rossi or Perfetti or Lundell for one of the picks they have in the draft with their own pick and the Arizona pick.

For Vancouver, the key point of the trade is to rid of Sutter and Eriksson's contract. It is a setback in terms of talent but this is a good consolation considering with Seattle expansion draft coming they will have to lose Demko instead as they can only protect one goalie. They really cannot afford Markstrom at current state. Through this trade the Canucks get the best situation out of a terrible scenario. They get Jack Hughes who will replace Boeser on RW, Schneider as backup to Demko (now they can protect him on the expansion draft while leaving Schneider exposed) and they get their pick back in such a deep draft. Whoever they get will compensate losing Juolevi for sure. For Canucks fans they have to remember they will lose a first round pick either this year or might as well trade a potential bust first rounder in Juolevi. In this mindset I would take the current unknown first round pick over the known commodity. Subban though declining will provide a good partner to Hughes, Subban is in an environment with less pressure to perform that is for sure.

In long term, this will actually save the Canucks money as I see Schneider retiring after the year pass the expansion draft and that should save the Canucks cap space to sign Petterson and the Hughes brothers long term. I believe Jack will be re-energized playing with his brother, the fact that he will be in RW instead of C may change his game quite a bit especially playing with more talented linemates than in the Devils.

Overall it is a fair deal, both teams got something in the end.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: ozman
Nice to see a Canuck fan understanding this trade. If there is someone to blame that is Benning for putting the Canucks in salary cap hell by overpaying on bottom six forwards. To rid of contracts, he need to put sweeteners. The only good team to trade with is Jersey as they do have the space to take on these contracts plus they have the immediate needs that the Canucks provide. On top they too get rid of the dead weights they have.

For the Devils they are the winners by getting Boeser as top RW and Markstrom as their starting Goalie. Add in depth guys in Sutter and Eriksson with a bonus of Juolevi who maybe ready to play for the big club. They get rid of Subban and Schneider at the expense of Jack Hughes and the Vancouver pick which will be in the mid teens anyway. This opens up drafting Marco Rossi or Perfetti or Lundell for one of the picks they have in the draft with their own pick and the Arizona pick.

For Vancouver, the key point of the trade is to rid of Sutter and Eriksson's contract. It is a setback in terms of talent but this is a good consolation considering with Seattle expansion draft coming they will have to lose Demko instead as they can only protect one goalie. They really cannot afford Markstrom at current state. Through this trade the Canucks get the best situation out of a terrible scenario. They get Jack Hughes who will replace Boeser on RW, Schneider as backup to Demko (now they can protect him on the expansion draft while leaving Schneider exposed) and they get their pick back in such a deep draft. Whoever they get will compensate losing Juolevi for sure. For Canucks fans they have to remember they will lose a first round pick either this year or might as well trade a potential bust first rounder in Juolevi. In this mindset I would take the current unknown first round pick over the known commodity. Subban though declining will provide a good partner to Hughes, Subban is in an environment with less pressure to perform that is for sure.

In long term, this will actually save the Canucks money as I see Schneider retiring after the year pass the expansion draft and that should save the Canucks cap space to sign Petterson and the Hughes brothers long term. I believe Jack will be re-energized playing with his brother, the fact that he will be in RW instead of C may change his game quite a bit especially playing with more talented linemates than in the Devils.

Overall it is a fair deal, both teams got something in the end.

This deal gets better if Van talks to Ron Francis before doing it and works out a deal where Seattle gets like Virtanen and Jet Woo or Olli Juolevi or someone to take PK next year. Which is possible.
ozman liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
ozman
Quoting: reelkena
This deal gets better if Van talks to Ron Francis before doing it and works out a deal where Seattle gets like Virtanen and Jet Woo or Olli Juolevi or someone to take PK next year. Which is possible.

I would say Virtanen and Jet Woo or Virtanen and Kole Lind as Juolevi is now property of New Jersey. This actually may happen if the deal goes through and the proceeding trade tree adds this as an appendix in expansion draft where Seattle picks PK Subban in exchange Vancouver sends Virtanen and Lind or Woo to Seattle for a bag of pucks. Benning corrects his costly mistakes from here but hopefully he doesnt waste his newly found caps space again. To replace the loss of Virtanen, Lind or Woo and Juolevi, the Canucks will take back their 1st round pick in 2020 from New Jersey and draft with their 1st round in 2021 to compensate for all the lost talent. Benning should quit trading picks but may need to acquire picks to compensate for the loss. His mis-signings have ensured the Canucks will have step back. Hopefully after two years with the arrival of Podkolzin and the new picks maturing, they should be deeper.
Jul. 25, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: ozman
I would say Virtanen and Jet Woo or Virtanen and Kole Lind as Juolevi is now property of New Jersey. This actually may happen if the deal goes through and the proceeding trade tree adds this as an appendix in expansion draft where Seattle picks PK Subban in exchange Vancouver sends Virtanen and Lind or Woo to Seattle for a bag of pucks. Benning corrects his costly mistakes from here but hopefully he doesnt waste his newly found caps space again. To replace the loss of Virtanen, Lind or Woo and Juolevi, the Canucks will take back their 1st round pick in 2020 from New Jersey and draft with their 1st round in 2021 to compensate for all the lost talent. Benning should quit trading picks but may need to acquire picks to compensate for the loss. His mis-signings have ensured the Canucks will have step back. Hopefully after two years with the arrival of Podkolzin and the new picks maturing, they should be deeper.

My bad, I forgot too look at who else was in this deal. I'm not too worried about him trading 1sts if we get as good as we look they'll all be in the 20's soon anyway should this plan work. He just has to stop buying people in July.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll