SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My 2020 Draft is better than experts

My 2020 Draft is better than experts

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: GMs
Published: Jul. 29, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
...it's not if you think the Hawks take Askarov over Sanderson, Lundell, and Quinn. Hawks are trying to compete in the next 2 years, Askarov is 4 to 5 years away, plus the Hawks have had a tough time dealing with Russians....too much risk.
GMs and lesnordiquesnext liked this.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
...it's not if you think the Hawks take Askarov over Sanderson, Lundell, and Quinn. Hawks are trying to compete in the next 2 years, Askarov is 4 to 5 years away, plus the Hawks have had a tough time dealing with Russians....too much risk.

Thx for the feedback but they really need a top goalie prospect for their future
Use the UFA market for the next 2-3 years
That's my opinion
Duggysdanglers liked this.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: GMs
Thx for the feedback but they really need a top goalie prospect for their future
That's my opinion

And plenty more, in numbers, top goalie prospects are found in the later rounds. In fact, the most rare thing in the league is to find a NHL starting goalie that was a top 20 pick, most great goalies have come from later rounds; in fact, there are only 2 currently out of 31. Look at the last 20 years of goalies drafted in the first round and look at the success rate to goalies drafted in later rounds. I believe the Hawks will grab a couple goalies in later rounds and focus on that 1st round pick to help the team in the next 2 to 3 years as such, coupled with the Hawks shying away from Russian's as of late.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
And plenty more, in numbers, top goalie prospects are found in the later rounds. In fact, the most rare thing in the league is to find a NHL starting goalie that was a top 20 pick, most great goalies have come from later rounds; in fact, there are only 2 currently out of 31. Look at the last 20 years of goalies drafted in the first round and look at the success rate to goalies drafted in later rounds. I believe the Hawks will grab a couple goalies in later rounds and focus on that 1st round pick to help the team in the next 2 to 3 years as such, coupled with the Hawks shying away from Russian's as of late.

Fleury Price Vasilevski Rask Samsonov I can think about 1st round pick goalie
Jul. 29, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
Fleury Price Vasilevski Rask Samsonov I can think about 1st round pick goalie

How many were top 10 picks and how many top 20 and how many starting goalies in the league are putting up better numbers? How many former first round picks have failed? The success rate is much lower then any other position in hockey. There's a great article examining this in The Athletic if you subscribe why taking a goalie in the top 10 or top 20 is a bad idea especially when considering way more great goalies were taken in late rounds. Then add to it, today's price for goalies in the trade market isn't great.
sens2020 liked this.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 2:33 p.m.
How many were top 10 picks and how many top 20 and how many starting goalies in the league are putting up better numbers? How many former first round picks have failed? The success rate is much lower then any other position in hockey. There's a great article examining this in The Athletic if you subscribe why taking a goalie in the top 10 or top 20 is a bad idea especially when considering way more great goalies were taken in late rounds. Then add to it, today's price for goalies in the trade market isn't great.

You are right, but Askarov is a much better prospect then Vasilevskiy Samsonov Rask were etc. But I completely understand and agreed with that you said. MTL draft Primeau in the 7th round and he’s almost NHL ready with Starter potential in him
Jul. 29, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.

Unless you get a top 2 or 3 pick, you shouldn't draft for immediate needs. Players drafted now give the team a chance to win in the future, not for now.

I generally would agree that it's not a good idea to take a goaltender in the top 10, but Askarov is supposedly something special. He's the highest rated goaltender we've seen enter the draft in a while. Chicago doesn't really have any grade-A goaltending prospects in the system, so they very well may take him. If not, I'm sure New Jersey would love to have him too, as their goaltender pipeline isn't much better.

That's my opinion

Overall I agree 100% with your top 12 picks. I will be sad to see Perfetti go to the Ducks, as he was my guy for the Kings before they moved up to #2.
GMs liked this.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Unless you get a top 2 or 3 pick, you shouldn't draft for immediate needs. Players drafted now give the team a chance to win in the future, not for now.

I generally would agree that it's not a good idea to take a goaltender in the top 10, but Askarov is supposedly something special. He's the highest rated goaltender we've seen enter the draft in a while. Chicago doesn't really have any grade-A goaltending prospects in the system, so they very well may take him. If not, I'm sure New Jersey would love to have him too, as their goaltender pipeline isn't much better.

Overall I agree 100% with your top 12 picks. I will be sad to see Perfetti go to the Ducks, as he was my guy for the Kings before they moved up to #2.

Not true. Offensive players in the top 10 in this draft, are ready now or a year...2 at max. That's the Hawks timetable. Hawks can't focus on a 5 years from now when the 17 year old Askarov may be ready to be a starter.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 4:17 p.m.
Not true. Offensive players in the top 10 in this draft, are ready now or a year...2 at max. That's the Hawks timetable. Hawks can't focus on a 5 years from now when the 17 year old Askarov may be ready to be a starter.

I didn't say that the players this year were any more or less ready than other years, just that you shouldn't draft for immediate needs in any draft. Some players might be ready sooner than others, some players might take longer. By focusing on immediate needs, you're doing a disservice to the development process of each individual prospect and are preemptively rushing his development.

If the overall pipeline needs are at forward, then the Hawks would be best served by taking a forward (I admittedly don't follow the Hawks pipeline that closely). However, with guys like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Dach likely to be mainstays in the lineup for the next 4-5 years, it hardly seems like that's an immediate concern.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
I didn't say that the players this year were any more or less ready than other years, just that you shouldn't draft for immediate needs in any draft. Some players might be ready sooner than others, some players might take longer. By focusing on immediate needs, you're doing a disservice to the development process of each individual prospect and are preemptively rushing his development.

If the overall pipeline needs are at forward, then the Hawks would be best served by taking a forward (I admittedly don't follow the Hawks pipeline that closely). However, with guys like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Dach likely to be mainstays in the lineup for the next 4-5 years, it hardly seems like that's an immediate concern.

You forgot strome! Quinn is a guy the Hawks are looking at closely as well as Sanderson and Lundell according to reports out of Chicago. Look at the impact Dach made. This year is much deeper the last so the Hawks at the #9 or #10 pick take a guy that will help them in a couple years or sooner. Any goalie is way too big of a risk in the first round. First round goalies have the lowest percentage chance of reaching their predraft predictions...it's a widely known thing and a large majority of the best goalies in the league over the last 20 years were taken in late rounds. If you are a team rebuilding then Askarov makes sense a 9 or 10, if you're a team retooling on the fly, he doesn't.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
You forgot strome! Quinn is a guy the Hawks are looking at closely as well as Sanderson and Lundell according to reports out of Chicago. Look at the impact Dach made. This year is much deeper the last so the Hawks at the #9 or #10 pick take a guy that will help them in a couple years or sooner. Any goalie is way too big of a risk in the first round. First round goalies have the lowest percentage chance of reaching their predraft predictions...it's a widely known thing and a large majority of the best goalies in the league over the last 20 years were taken in late rounds. If you are a team rebuilding then Askarov makes sense a 9 or 10, if you're a team retooling on the fly, he doesn't.

But again, Dach was a #3 pick. He was expected to go #5 to the Kings, but Chicago took him specifically because he was NHL ready.

There's pretty unanimous opinion that Lafreniere and Rossi are the only two players that are NHL ready this year. Guys like Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Perfetti, etc. will all need at least another year with their junior/European clubs before even thinking about making the jump to the NHL.

I don't disagree that taking a goaltender in the top 10 (or anywhere in the first round really) is a risk. If that is your hesitation, then I can get behind that. Askarov is the most "sure thing" goaltending prospect we've seen in a decade. The last guy expected to go in the top 10 was Carey Price, and he turned out to be ok. The other guys ranked in the 11-15 range were Vasilevskiy, Bernier, and Campbell. Pretty good hit rate, IMO.
GMs liked this.
Jul. 29, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
lesnordiquesnext
I think your top 8 is very reasonable. I truly think Jack Quinn will go earlier than 12. Everyone is looking for scoring.
GMs liked this.
Jul. 30, 2020 at 12:48 a.m.
If you are a team rebuilding then Askarov makes sense a 9 or 10, if you're a team retooling on the fly, he doesn't.[/quote]

I have to agree with this last statement. I honestly believe Chicago will take more immediate player in the top ten. Jake Sanderson would work except he’s at least a full year away from the NHL. He can eventually carry the torch after Keith. Having JS and Adam Boqvist mentor behind Keith and Seabrook is pretty special opportunity for them.

I think Askarov will go to either NJ with that AZ pick or to Minnesota if they lose in the play in round. I think NJ will take a chance with an extra first round pick. And Billy Guerin is taking long game approach. Preaching patience the whole way. I’d guess Minny will extend Dubnyk and then take their time with Askarov. In 2 years he can come in and mentor behind DD.
GMs and ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 30, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
Quoting: Duggysdanglers
If you are a team rebuilding then Askarov makes sense a 9 or 10, if you're a team retooling on the fly, he doesn't.

I have to agree with this last statement. I honestly believe Chicago will take more immediate player in the top ten. Jake Sanderson would work except he’s at least a full year away from the NHL. He can eventually carry the torch after Keith. Having JS and Adam Boqvist mentor behind Keith and Seabrook is pretty special opportunity for them.

I think Askarov will go to either NJ with that AZ pick or to Minnesota if they lose in the play in round. I think NJ will take a chance with an extra first round pick. And Billy Guerin is taking long game approach. Preaching patience the whole way. I’d guess Minny will extend Dubnyk and then take their time with Askarov. In 2 years he can come in and mentor behind DD.[/quote]

Agree for the first part, as for MIN they would take Lundell with the 11th OA. They need Centers, and Dubnyk isn’t good anymore, they’ll go Stalock Kahkonen
Duggysdanglers liked this.
Jul. 30, 2020 at 1:18 a.m.
But again, Dach was a #3 pick. He was expected to go #5 to the Kings, but Chicago took him specifically because he was NHL ready.

There's pretty unanimous opinion that Lafreniere and Rossi are the only two players that are NHL ready this year. Guys like Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Perfetti, etc. will all need at least another year with their junior/European clubs before even thinking about making the jump to the NHL.

I don't disagree that taking a goaltender in the top 10 (or anywhere in the first round really) is a risk. If that is your hesitation, then I can get behind that. Askarov is the most "sure thing" goaltending prospect we've seen in a decade. The last guy expected to go in the top 10 was Carey Price, and he turned out to be ok. The other guys ranked in the 11-15 range were Vasilevskiy, Bernier, and Campbell. Pretty good hit rate, IMO.

BINGO which is why a team retooling on the fly (The Blackhawks) won't be taking Askarov at number 9 or 10. Lundell is also ready. Hawks can wait a year, they can't afford to wait 4 or 5 years for Askarov.

You are missing all the guys that never made it as a All Star caliber goalie and when you are drafting a goalie in the first round, you should be getting at least a career starter in the top 10 of the league if not an All Star goalie. There are just way too many more examples of goalies that are career top 10 guys drafted in late rounds. No other position in hockey is this true. There is a great article about the last 20 years of goalies to go in the first round,...you'd be shocked how many of these guys can't hold a starting job.

Again, Askarov should become a career starter in the league, but at 4 to 5 years away, he's a great option for a team doing a full rebuild and that is not the Hawks.
Jul. 30, 2020 at 1:38 a.m.
Agree for the first part, as for MIN they would take Lundell with the 11th OA. They need Centers, and Dubnyk isn’t good anymore, they’ll go Stalock Kahkonen[/quote]

I think Lundell definitely fits the bill for the Wild. Big physical 200 foot C. Puts up points but not on the highlights reel. He can potentially mentor behind Mikko Koivu.

I think they still have Hunter Jones in their system.
GMs liked this.
Jul. 30, 2020 at 1:39 a.m.
Quoting: Duggysdanglers
Agree for the first part, as for MIN they would take Lundell with the 11th OA. They need Centers, and Dubnyk isn’t good anymore, they’ll go Stalock Kahkonen

I think Lundell definitely fits the bill for the Wild. Big physical 200 foot C. Puts up points but not on the highlights reel. He can potentially mentor behind Mikko Koivu.

I think they still have Hunter Jones in their system.[/quote]

Yes right
Jul. 30, 2020 at 11:17 p.m.
Mike's Lemons
I make the pee pee and poo poo

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll