Forums/Armchair-GM

Complete rebuilding

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2020-21 Florida Panthers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 5, 2020
Published: Aug. 5, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Fire GM. Fire Coach. Sell the best players before they walk.

New GM: Dean Lombardi. He did great job with LA, and built a pretty good roster that won them a couple of cups.

New coach: Peter Laviolette. Coach Q is a great coach no doubt, but I ain't sure whether he's the right guy to coach a very young rebuilding team. His latest 10 year gig was with the dynasty of Chicago, which didn't really need much coaching, the material was so insane. Laviolette had done pretty well with the young team of Nashville, and I think he could have something to offer in a younger environment.

Imo the final piece of this rebuilding is to relocate to Quebec, but it's pretty clear it isn't happening.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,250,000
3$2,250,000
2$1,000,000
1$874,125
1$874,125
2$850,000
1$800,000
1$744,188
1$735,000
1$735,000
Trades
FLA
  1. Byram, Bowen
  2. Cole, Ian
  3. Compher, J.T.
  4. Newhook, Alex [Reserve List]
  5. 2020 1st round pick (COL)
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
I know some COL fans are going to be b*tching about the return, but honestly Barkov's a TOP10 C, possibly TOP5 C in the league and with his contract being so affordable I do believe the cost of him being two top prospects and a first. Cole and Compher are added to make the money work so they can re-sign Landeskog and Burakovsky.
COL
  1. Barkov, Aleksander
  2. Weegar, MacKenzie [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
It's a pipe dream, really, but could you imagine a center depth consisting of MacKinnon, Barkov and Kadri. That sounds freaking insane. Weegar's a great RHD that I think would fit in COL system pretty well.
FLA
  1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
  2. Fleury, Cale
  3. Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
  4. Norlinder, Mattias [Reserve List]
  5. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
FLA receives a great TOP6 forward and some good young prospects for their future building, alongside with a 1st round pick. The team is in need of some nice quality prospects, with some of them being already NHL ready. Naturally this pick is assumed to be the 9th overall one.
MTL
  1. Huberdeau, Jonathan
  2. Matheson, Michael
Additional Details:
Huberdeau would likely be the best forward to play for the Habs since 2000s, and I personally believe he'd be an instant fan favorite and exactly what they need. Huberdeau's contract is also very affordable, making him even more valuable. MTL also receive a decent D-man inked to a long contract in yhis exchange.
FLA
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. Nylander, William
  3. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
FLA receives a first round pick, a great top line winger and a great RHD prospect. Imo it's a win-win deal.
TOR
  1. Acciari, Noel
  2. Ekblad, Aaron
  3. Heponiemi, Aleksi
Additional Details:
TOR receives the big first pair RHD they definitely need, alongside a good affordable mid-6 forward and a good forward prospect.
FLA
  1. Sörensen, Marcus
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (SJS)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
FLA is in need for some future assets.
SJS
  1. Connolly, Brett
  2. Vatrano, Frank
Additional Details:
SJ is in need for some winger depth.
FLA
  1. Smith, Brendan
  2. Trouba, Jacob
  3. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
FLA gets themselves a long-term RHD currently in his prime but who's somewhat overpaid. They also take a bad contract of Smith to boot, and receive a potentially low first rounder as compensation.
NYR
  1. Stillman, Riley
  2. Yandle, Keith
Additional Details:
NYI receives some LHDs they need quite much. Yandle's a 50+ point offensive D-man that could provide a lethal duo when paired with Deangelo. Stillman's a decent and affordable depth D.
FLA
  1. Johnson, Tyler
  2. Katchouk, Boris
Additional Details:
FLA needs a long-term experienced asset, and Johnson is good in that regard. Because FLA is taking a bit of a risky contract in the exchange while retaining some money, they receive a good prospect as compensation in the exchange.
TBL
  1. Pu, Cliff
  2. Strålman, Anton ($2,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Strålman makes a comeback to Tampa, as they need a RHD. With half retained he's just the quite affordable, and likely a piece they need.
FLA
  1. 2020 5th round pick (FLA)
MTL
  1. 2020 5th round pick (TOR)
  2. 2021 7th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Draft day deal
FLA
  1. Barron, Travis
  2. 2020 6th round pick (FLA)
COL
  1. Sceviour, Colton
Additional Details:
Draft day deal
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$69,119,508$0$7,120,000$12,380,492
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
RFA
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$897,500$897,500
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the New York Rangers
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
RFA - 1
$735,000$735,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$744,188$744,188
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 5, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
What in tarnation
Edited Aug. 5, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15
Here is the thing. Byram and Newhook (I know I’ve said it before) aren’t just the Avs top prospects they are 2 of the best prospects in the league and will still be on ELC’s after Barkov gets a huge raise and in the interim the difference between Kadri and Barkov isn’t worth those 2. Moli rightly points out that those ELC contracts are going to doubly important with big raises coming to Landeskog and a massive raise to Makar.

Byram and Newhook are valuable prospects, but neither has played a single game in the league and aren't likely to do that in a year. It's amazing that people consider two prospects outside NHL being worth more than an elite asset you don't really ever get via trade...just how high the junior hype can get, I wonder...
Aug. 5, 2020 at 7:54 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Byram and Newhook are valuable prospects, but neither has played a single game in the league and aren't likely to do that in a year. It's amazing that people consider two prospects outside NHL being worth more than an elite asset you don't really ever get via trade...just how high the junior hype can get, I wonder...

Byram is going to be playing with the Avs next season. In a vacuum do you make the trade, probably, but you are just choosing to ignore everything Avs fan are saying here. Kadri isn’t mincemeat as your 2C. The salary cap has serious considerations especially acquiring an elite talent. How’s it working for Toronto having 2 elite C making $11M each? Also when is COL ever going to have the 4th overall pick, and they suppose to give away 2 guys that will be on elc in the case of Byram from 20-21 through 22-23 and Newhook from 21-22 through 23-24 at which time MacKinnon is also going to get a monster extension.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:01 p.m.
Actually yes it is, because only Byram is an actual quality asset in this trade. A very low first is valuable, but nothing groundbreaking here. All other pieces involved in that comments are worth like 3rd rounders each... Not really close to something that will land you a TOP10 C in the league.

All other pieces are worth a 3rd? In what convoluted part of the thread are the other pieces worth 3rds?
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:04 p.m.
What in tarnation
Byram is going to be playing with the Avs next season. In a vacuum do you make the trade, probably, but you are just choosing to ignore everything Avs fan are saying here. Kadri isn’t mincemeat as your 2C. The salary cap has serious considerations especially acquiring an elite talent. How’s it working for Toronto having 2 elite C making $11M each? Also when is COL ever going to have the 4th overall pick, and they suppose to give away 2 guys that will be on elc in the case of Byram from 20-21 through 22-23 and Newhook from 21-22 through 23-24 at which time MacKinnon is also going to get a monster extension.

I've seen the notion of the potential cap crunch coming and I do accept that a reason to reject this trade. There's nothing to discuss in this point.

Regardless there have been COL fans in favor of this sort of exchange. But there isn't a single proposal here including Kadri, Byram and Newhook. Only two out of those three.

MacKinnon's extension will come in due time, but wouldn't COL (or frankly any team) like to have a center core of MacKinnon, Barkov, and Kadri? It just doesn't get any better than that.

Leafs are an example of that it is theoretically possible to uphold such depth - and since Sakic isn't as dumb as Dubas with the contracts and how big they tend to get, I do think there's a way through this.
JumboFett liked this.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:08 p.m.
What in tarnation
All other pieces are worth a 3rd? In what convoluted part of the thread are the other pieces worth 3rds?

The trade in that comment you replied to was Barkov for Byram+Compher+Cole+1st+2nd+random pick, right?

I went through Byram and that 1st before...

That leaves
Compher: worth a 3rd and maybe a small other asset. Mid to bottom-6 player, nothing groundbreaking.

Cole: next year he's a rental D-man with semi high cap. Absolutely worth a 3rd, max.

2021 2nd: probably the lowest pick of the entire draft, essentially the same as a 3rd rounder. Especially since 2021 is expected to be a weak draft.

Random pick...well it's random.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:11 p.m.
I've seen the notion of the potential cap crunch coming and I do accept that a reason to reject this trade. There's nothing to discuss in this point.

Regardless there have been COL fans in favor of this sort of exchange. But there isn't a single proposal here including Kadri, Byram and Newhook. Only two out of those three.

MacKinnon's extension will come in due time, but wouldn't COL (or frankly any team) like to have a center core of MacKinnon, Barkov, and Kadri? It just doesn't get any better than that.

Leafs are an example of that it is theoretically possible to uphold such depth - and since Sakic isn't as dumb as Dubas with the contracts and how big they tend to get, I do think there's a way through this.

I totally agree with that thought it would be fantastic. But that cap call would be something painful especially thinking in consecutive years you would be giving out a monster deal to Makar, then to Barkov, then to MacKinnon. Honestly I would love to add Barkov, and the portion of the thread where it was centered around Byram and Kadri sure then we are talking.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:13 p.m.
The trade in that comment you replied to was Barkov for Byram+Compher+Cole+1st+2nd+random pick, right?

I went through Byram and that 1st before...

That leaves
Compher: worth a 3rd and maybe a small other asset. Mid to bottom-6 player, nothing groundbreaking.

Cole: next year he's a rental D-man with semi high cap. Absolutely worth a 3rd, max.

2021 2nd: probably the lowest pick of the entire draft, essentially the same as a 3rd rounder. Especially since 2021 is expected to be a weak draft.

Random pick...well it's random.

FLA isn’t doing that I agree.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:15 p.m.
What in tarnation
I totally agree with that thought it would be fantastic. But that cap call would be something painful especially thinking in consecutive years you would be giving out a monster deal to Makar, then to Barkov, then to MacKinnon. Honestly I would love to add Barkov, and the portion of the thread where it was centered around Byram and Kadri sure then we are talking.

Some challenges would be there...but I don't think it's impossible. Would probably require not signing Landeskog though, which is a bummer. But if Newhook's not included, there's a replacement for the guy.

My stance though is that FLA requires 3 future assets for Barkov and two of them have to be of high value, or at least one, then a great roster player and then that 1st. I'd rather see a deal involving all of Byram+Newhook+1st and then assets leveling the cap (initial trade basically) but if that's impossible then we can drop Newhook and change him to Kadri, and then add another prospect in place of the guys that were involved just to even out the cap...
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:50 p.m.
Some challenges would be there...but I don't think it's impossible. Would probably require not signing Landeskog though, which is a bummer. But if Newhook's not included, there's a replacement for the guy.

My stance though is that FLA requires 3 future assets for Barkov and two of them have to be of high value, or at least one, then a great roster player and then that 1st. I'd rather see a deal involving all of Byram+Newhook+1st and then assets leveling the cap (initial trade basically) but if that's impossible then we can drop Newhook and change him to Kadri, and then add another prospect in place of the guys that were involved just to even out the cap...

I don’t disagree with that. I was opposed to both Byram and Newhook.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
I don’t disagree with that. I was opposed to both Byram and Newhook.

Think that has been the issue with all Avs fans.

Sort of glad it's Avs fans though. I couldn't imagine what kind of clusterf*ck this post would've been if those prospects belonged to Habs for example. Wouldn't be too surprised if there were people saying that Byram alone is worth more than Barkov since he has only two years left...
Xqb15 liked this.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:55 p.m.
So essentially you want a top player in the league but refrain from paying what is due. Gotcha. There's nothing worth to discuss with you.

I want ? I never did a Huberdeau trade, Never. We aren’t giving our top young players for Huberdeau. You’re just stupid at this point
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:57 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: GMs
I want ? I never did a Huberdeau trade, Never. We aren’t giving our top young players for Huberdeau. You’re just stupid at this point

Fine, I give you that.

Your direct quote was "for the right price we'll take him."

Unfortunately your right price is absolutely pathetic.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 8:59 p.m.
Fine, I give you that.

Your direct quote was "for the right price we'll take him."

Unfortunately your right price is absolutely pathetic.

Domi + 9th OA to start is pretty good for Hubeardeau
Aug. 5, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
What in tarnation
Domi + 9th OA to start is pretty good for Hubeardeau

And FLA laughs at this.

Your comments prompted me to ask about this in general. You can take part in the discussion if you will.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 9:02 p.m.
And FLA laughs at this.

Your comments prompted me to ask about this in general. You can take part in the discussion if you will.

I saw, I’m just saying MTL won’t trade their top young players for Hubeardeau. And others offer from MTL won’t be enough to drag out Hubby from Florida. Just not good trade partners
Aug. 5, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
What in tarnation
I saw, I’m just saying MTL won’t trade their top young players for Hubeardeau. And others offer from MTL won’t be enough to drag out Hubby from Florida. Just not good trade partners

Not trading their top prospect for Huberdeau or just not trading them in general? Because the latter part I can get, the first I absolutely can't.

Keep in mind that out of your top youngsters I asked for only one of them.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.
Think that has been the issue with all Avs fans.

Sort of glad it's Avs fans though. I couldn't imagine what kind of clusterf*ck this post would've been if those prospects belonged to Habs for example. Wouldn't be too surprised if there were people saying that Byram alone is worth more than Barkov since he has only two years left...

Right? Honestly I try to be as honest in evaluating Avs players as possible and not buy into their ‘our’ guy and worth more than their not. Newhook and Byram are the first two true prospects (obviously not counting guys that jumped right into the NHL) in forever the Avs had that can be difference makers that’s why I am always loathe on here to include them in any trade. I’ve maintained since Feb the Avs core for the next 5 years is/should be MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Byram, Girard, Newhook and Landeskog more or less in that order. Any way it’s been a pleasure.
Aug. 5, 2020 at 10:04 p.m.
Not trading their top prospect for Huberdeau or just not trading them in general? Because the latter part I can get, the first I absolutely can't.

Keep in mind that out of your top youngsters I asked for only one of them.

Good thing in MTL are their top prospect / young player are at every position of need Center : Suzuki Kotkaniemi RW : Caufield Ylönen LHD : Romanov Norlinder Struble G : Primeau
We don’t have LW prospect but Drouin Domi Lehkonen are all 25 yo ( Teasdale Pitlick are the only legit LW prospect ). RHD we have Fleury Juulsen Brook but none of them are blue chip prospect so we’ll need to keep those 3. If we trade Fleury and Juulsen Brook doesn’t become NHLer and Fleury become one, we’ll look stupid. Keep those 3 guys and they will battle for the 3RHD.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll