Forums/Armchair-GM

Not likely but

Created by: wdhowell
Team: 2020-21 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 26, 2020
Published: Aug. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My biggest concern would be a lack of injury depth. But if you could convince Vancouver and Krug that this works for them, the team would be much better than they were last season. Yes, there is a lack of scoring depth, but the defense and goal are much better improved. And there wouldn't be less scoring depth than 19-20. Before Canuck fans freak, remember that getting rid of Marleau's contract required a 1st and still needed massaging. And y'all could really use room in your cap right now.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
2$6,500,000
1$790,000
1$790,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,000,000
Trades
DET
  1. Demko, Thatcher
  2. Eriksson, Loui
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Svechnikov, Evgeny
  2. 2020 5th round pick (DET)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,183,332$0$2,147,500$11,316,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$790,000$790,000
LW
UFA - 1
$790,000$790,000
C, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
Pop Pop
I think we all like demko with Ericsson but who knows. I really dont wanna pay krug that much. I mean hes great on the pp but hed be -22 on this team by january. Id rather get a guy we can stick next to seider that can help the kid out for his first season.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
The idea of paying Krug 8 millions dollars when he’s age 34, 35, 36 really hurts my head. I just can’t see that it’s what this team needs and Yzerman has said he won’t be making that type of signing, which calms me.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:20 a.m.
Why are Wings taking on a huge cap hit with term for a junk return? And they have to give up a decent prospect in Svech. Terrible for Detroit
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:25 a.m.
I like the idea of taking on Loui to get Demko, a possible starter going forward. However I don't see sending back a top-ish prospect back to VAN.

If it is Evgeni for Demko - Sure, maybe there is something there. Prospect for prospect.

Once Loui and his 2yrs at 6M is coming our way, I feel like Demko would be enough of compensation to make that happen. It's essentially be Demko traded to DET for 6M of cap space for 2 years.

So I would tweak this to be Loui/Demko to DET for the 5th you have listed.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyNut82
I like the idea of taking on Loui to get Demko, a possible starter going forward. However I don't see sending back a top-ish prospect back to VAN.

If it is Evgeni for Demko - Sure, maybe there is something there. Prospect for prospect.

Once Loui and his 2yrs at 6M is coming our way, I feel like Demko would be enough of compensation to make that happen. It's essentially be Demko traded to DET for 6M of cap space for 2 years.

A lot of Wings fans would argue that’s not enough to take on Loui’s contract based on past cap dump deals and the current flat cap/economic climate with hurt revenues. It would take Demko + a sweetener draft pick
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
I think we all like demko with Ericsson but who knows. I really dont wanna pay krug that much. I mean hes great on the pp but hed be -22 on this team by january. Id rather get a guy we can stick next to seider that can help the kid out for his first season.

Yeah, I'm not sold that Krug is the answer, but I know a lot of people are pulling for it. As far as his contract goes, someone is going to give him that most likely. Maybe the flat cap changes how GMs pay, but he would easily get it before that came into play. Not a lot of LD available this go around though. I didn't realize that earlier in the season. About mid season I was pushing for an Edmunson, Gudas, etc solid second pair guy. Still may be the way to go if you can get people to play on sides that work.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: SweetRevenge19
The idea of paying Krug 8 millions dollars when he’s age 34, 35, 36 really hurts my head. I just can’t see that it’s what this team needs and Yzerman has said he won’t be making that type of signing, which calms me.

Yeah, it definitely hurts in the later years, but that's how people have been getting paid. Maybe COVID changes that.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Drw4209
Why are Wings taking on a huge cap hit with term for a junk return? And they have to give up a decent prospect in Svech. Terrible for Detroit

You're obviously in the minority on this opinion judging by the comments.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.

Quoting: SweetRevenge19
A lot of Wings fans would argue that’s not enough to take on Loui’s contract based on past cap dump deals and the current flat cap/economic climate with hurt revenues. It would take Demko + a sweetener draft pick

Yeah, I'm not good at massaging trades after the base deal, so do with the picks what you will. I did publish with the feeling that I was shorting Detroit, but I didn't want to go all homer and get Demko for a bag of pucks. I will say that Detroit fans seem to value Svech a bit more than the writers and organization. He still has potential, but he is currently being looked at as a third line winger. If he finds his scoring touch again, he will obviously be a much more coveted prospect. But would Cholowski be a better prospect to send? I like Cholowski and get so frustrated that he can't quite put it all together. His stock drops with each passing season of not taking that next step. Maybe Hirose. I would hate giving him away as I think some bulk and confidence is all he needs to be a great play making middle six winger. But you have to give something to get something.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: wdhowell
Yeah, I'm not good at massaging trades after the base deal, so do with the picks what you will. I did publish with the feeling that I was shorting Detroit, but I didn't want to go all homer and get Demko for a bag of pucks. I will say that Detroit fans seem to value Svech a bit more than the writers and organization. He still has potential, but he is currently being looked at as a third line winger. If he finds his scoring touch again, he will obviously be a much more coveted prospect. But would Cholowski be a better prospect to send? I like Cholowski and get so frustrated that he can't quite put it all together. His stock drops with each passing season of not taking that next step. Maybe Hirose. I would hate giving him away as I think some bulk and confidence is all he needs to be a great play making middle six winger. But you have to give something to get something.

Hirose if anything, if you feel DET needs to send something back to VAN. Hirose was a Holland signing that Yzerman may be willing to part with.

Good basis for a trade though..... I just wouldn't want to see much going back to VAN if DET is taking on Loui.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Hirose if anything, if you feel DET needs to send something back to VAN. Hirose was a Holland signing that Yzerman may be willing to part with.

Good basis for a trade though..... I just wouldn't want to see much going back to VAN if DET is taking on Loui.

Understood. Vancouver isn't going to do it for future considerations or a conditional 7th, but I get that Detroit needs to receive more in the deal or give up less.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.

I find it extremely hard trying to guess/estimate what the value cap dumps will be this offseason, bc obviously the situation is different than in other years. So it’s really hard to project. No harm in trying, and you’re right, if you go too far in the homer Wings direction, the other fan base will jump all over you.

You pretty much made the point yourself why not to trade Svech. Shouldn’t sell low on a player. He has more value within the organization than elsewhere at the moment. So keep him. He’s going to get his shot this year, Svech knows this, and I imagine after how things have gone for him, he’s extremely excited to prove himself and be a good hockey player. So this year will be very telling to see how it all plays out, time will tell. But no need to trade him if his value is a bag of beans. Same goes for Cholo.
wdhowell liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.
You're obviously in the minority on this opinion judging by the comments.

Well the established market rate for taking on high salary/multi year term cap dumps disagrees. It's delusional really, Demko wouldn't even be the main piece in a deal to take on Eriksson's contract.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:53 a.m.
Quoting: Drw4209
Well the established market rate for taking on high salary/multi year term cap dumps disagrees. It's delusional really, Demko wouldn't even be the main piece in a deal to take on Eriksson's contract.

Marleau was $6.25M for one year. They paid an additional 1st and 7th for a 6th. So, should Detroit get more? Sure. I explained in other comments that I was trying to make sure I didn't go too far in Detroit's direction. It looks like I have gone overboard with that. But your suggestion was that somehow taking on Eriksson's contract was a big deal for Detroit and that Demko was junk. That's what set the reply apart from the others. First, Demko is seen as a goalie of the future and close to starter material. Second, Detroit is one of very few teams that could eat Eriksson's contract for two seasons without batting an eye. They could literally go wild and spend to the cap for the next two seasons (they won't). Due to Zetterberg's LTIR savings, savings from waiving Abdelkader (which rumor has it is a real possibility), and both Filppula and Nemeth coming off the books in the second season (which if you spent to the cap it better have made those two expendable), it still wouldn't hurt them on the flat cap. In reality, they won't spend to the cap, and I've shown above that they could spend big on a contract and still have almost $10M left in cap space. So, if you're saying that the deal is lopsided and needs adjustment, I accept that. But your extra window dressings in the comment are way off.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll