Forums/Armchair-GM

Matt Roy - Whats his price

Created by: McRanteskog
Team: 2020-21 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 4, 2020
Published: Sep. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
LAK fans, whats Matt Roys price? Is he availble?
Trades
LAK
  1. Jost, Tyson [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
+ what?
COL
  1. Roy, Matt
Additional Details:
+ what?
Buyouts
Termination Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$81,500,000$55,659,697$0$2,550,000$25,840,303
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,425,000$2,425,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,636,364$2,636,364
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,133,333$1,133,333
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,900,000$2,900,000
G
UFA - 3
$858,333$858,333
G
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 4, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
It's difficult to project a return for Roy, because there's a difference between "fair value" and a trade that would actually be accepted. I think Roy for Jost is a relatively fair value trade, but the Kings aren't going to trade away a RHD and create a gap in their roster to bring back a (admittedly quality) player at a position in which they already have an abundance (bottom six wing). In order for the Kings to trade one of Roy or Walker, they'd need to be getting back a player that fulfills a greater roster need, or a fairly substantial over payment if not addressing a direct roster need.

The only position of greater need than RHD is top-six wing. The reason why Kapanen for Roy made sense is that Toronto is desperate for RHD and LA is desperate for a true top-six capable winger. I would agree that Kapanen for Roy isn't a "fair value" trade, and would have been an overpayment by the Leafs, but they're desperate for inexpensive RHD and in a position where an overpayment might have made sense. The $2.5 million in cap space they got to clear in that swap also wasn't nothing.

Colorado isn't in a dire cap crunch like Toronto is, so there's not as much incentive for them to overpay for Roy. I'm sure his low cap hit is welcome, but not necessary for the Avs. Landeskog and Burakovsky would be welcome additions to LA, but I don't see the Avs wanting to trade either. Obviously neither of those trades would be an even swap, and I don't think the Kings would want to trade any high round picks at this stage of the rebuild.

I don't see a Roy trade to the Avs happening.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
guess it depends on what they do in this draft... mikey anderson might be a guy they like, they still have bjornfoot too. so i mean do you think they keep clague? they could always go 4-4-1and let lizotte be taken not like they dont have replacements for him. with a million centers on their roster and about to be another one.

Mikey Anderson is definitely someone the Kings like. He was very impressive in his 6 games at the end of the year. Games the Kings won as they went 7-0 to end the season. And they have extremely high expectations for Bjornfot, as shown by starting last season with him paired next to Drew Doughty, even if only for a few games. The best thing about those two players is they're both expansion draft exempt, so the Kings don't need to use a protection slot on them. I've said this in a couple of posts above as well, but yes. The Kings WILL go 4-4-1. They know Seattle won't take Dustin Brown or Jeff Carter, so they have no trouble exposing them, and there is no one else on the current roster of higher value than Roy, Walker or Clague.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
The 1 True GM
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Not close. Right now Roy is more valuable to us than Timothy Liljegren is to you.

So your retort is a comparison of LAs 25 year old that is a bottom pairing dman anywhere else to a 22 year old that has a hand full of NHL games??? How making a realistic comparison... Roy is the same as Dermott or Holl.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
The 1 True GM
Quoting: tkecanuck341
It's difficult to project a return for Roy, because there's a difference between "fair value" and a trade that would actually be accepted. I think Roy for Jost is a relatively fair value trade, but the Kings aren't going to trade away a RHD and create a gap in their roster to bring back a (admittedly quality) player at a position in which they already have an abundance (bottom six wing). In order for the Kings to trade one of Roy or Walker, they'd need to be getting back a player that fulfills a greater roster need, or a fairly substantial over payment if not addressing a direct roster need.

The only position of greater need than RHD is top-six wing. The reason why Kapanen for Roy made sense is that Toronto is desperate for RHD and LA is desperate for a true top-six capable winger. I would agree that Kapanen for Roy isn't a "fair value" trade, and would have been an overpayment by the Leafs, but they're desperate for inexpensive RHD and in a position where an overpayment might have made sense. The $2.5 million in cap space they got to clear in that swap also wasn't nothing.

Colorado isn't in a dire cap crunch like Toronto is, so there's not as much incentive for them to overpay for Roy. I'm sure his low cap hit is welcome, but not necessary for the Avs. Landeskog and Burakovsky would be welcome additions to LA, but I don't see the Avs wanting to trade either. Obviously neither of those trades would be an even swap, and I don't think the Kings would want to trade any high round picks at this stage of the rebuild.

I don't see a Roy trade to the Avs happening.

You need to go educate yourself on the Leafs cap situation and Dubas trade history... dire is a ridiculous take on them
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: Sean4417
You need to go educate yourself on the Leafs cap situation and Dubas trade history... dire is a ridiculous take on them

Not really. They're certainly better off now that Kapanen is gone. Good for him that he found a sucker to overpay.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
So your retort is a comparison of LAs 25 year old that is a bottom pairing dman anywhere else to a 22 year old that has a hand full of NHL games??? How making a realistic comparison... Roy is the same as Dermott or Holl.

I think you're conflating overall player quality and a player's value to a team. There is no one in the Kings pipeline to replace Roy should he no longer be available. Swapping him for Dermott, while perhaps a fairly even trade in overall player quality, would greatly hurt the Kings roster, as it would open a gap on the right side of the roster, a position that is one of the most difficult to fill. Toronto fans should understand this more than anyone.
Sep. 4, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
The 1 True GM
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Not really. They're certainly better off now that Kapanen is gone. Good for him that he found a sucker to overpay.

Leafs right now have 6+ million in cap space and are taking offers on Andersen Johnsson Kerfoot... that could clear up another 6-10 million to sign Mikheyev Dermott and a new goalie and an RD. And Dubas has a good history of getting teams to retain salary in trades... again, dire is ridiculous
Sep. 4, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

The statement that Roy is the same as Dermott or Holl exposes how much, or I should say how little, weight we should put on your homer evaluations.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
J. Toller
10th overall pick 3 years ago for a 7th defender. No thanks bud
Oct. 14, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: JToller1
10th overall pick 3 years ago for a 7th defender. No thanks bud

this post is over a month old.. cringe lurking move bud
as from your post, it seems you only care about draft positions and know nothing about the pieces involved.

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWi/1920/L.A/royxxma95/wrap
educate yourself.

Roys expected goals against while on the ice was 2.17 and the expected goals for was 2.85 (playing for a bottom 5 team in LA)

For comparison, Makar was 2.31 xgoals against and 2.63 xgoals for
Girard was 2.40 xgoals against and 2.62 xgoals for
^ all while playing for a top 5 team in COL

https://hockeyviz.com/player/girarsa98/COL/1920
https://hockeyviz.com/player/makarca98/COL/1920

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll