Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens Leafs trade

Created by: HockeyTownUSA69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 9, 2020
Published: Nov. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto gets Blueger, a 25 year old Forward, who already had Zelke votes last year. They need the defensive help. He plays multiple positions and can score too. Only makes 750K. And they get Riikola, who plays both LD/RD equally well. Seeing as they like their Russians..lol. He Came over from Russia as a 25 year old prospect. Played well, even played wing last year for the Pens. The Pens rewarded him this year with the 1.1M contract for 2 years. And get the 3rd round pick.

Pens get a 3rd line Center upgrade and have the cap space to take on Kerfoot. Instead of trying to sign Haula or Granlund at a 2M-3M deal, the Pens take on Kerfoot’s contract. He’s younger!! And get T.Liljegren, a RHD, to pair with PO-Joseph in the future.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Liljegren, Timothy
2$863,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
T.Liljegren is included in the deal. For some reason ACGM will not let you trade for him right now. But he’s included in the deal with Kerfoot so I created him. He makes 863k per year and is a RFA in 2022.
TOR
  1. Blueger, Teddy
  2. Riikola, Juuso
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,444,842$0$850,000$2,055,158
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
Liljegren, Timothy
$863,000$863,000
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 10, 2020 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Saskleaf
If you actually read my post, you would see I specifically said twice HE'S NOT BOBBY ORR. YES I KNOW. Never said he was. Of course I realize half of first rounders flame out. I said he is still worth a first. I didn't imply at any time he would be on an allstar team. I just implied he has value. You seem to deny this fact.

no one said he didn't have value. But no one is also coming in saying "you don't know who he is" either.
Like no we all do. A prospect with falling value, like every prospect that as they hit their younger 20s isn't making an NHL roster.

Just another name that's flaming out.
He might be worth a 2nd at the moment.
Stop over valuing him.
Hell that whole trade up there. Kerfoot and Blueger are a wash. Neither one is ever going to be more than a 3C, they have different styles. But roughly same value.
Riikola and a 3rd. yeah, that gets you Liligeren .
Who most likely sits in the AHL and tops out at this point as a bottom 4 defense man.
I mean hell the TOR defense totally sucked last year and he couldn't crack it when he got a chance to play.
Don't go expecting the moon any time soon.
HockeyTownUSA69 liked this.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: pharrow
no one said he didn't have value. But no one is also coming in saying "you don't know who he is" either.
Like no we all do. A prospect with falling value, like every prospect that as they hit their younger 20s isn't making an NHL roster.

Just another name that's flaming out.
He might be worth a 2nd at the moment.
Stop over valuing him.
Hell that whole trade up there. Kerfoot and Blueger are a wash. Neither one is ever going to be more than a 3C, they have different styles. But roughly same value.
Riikola and a 3rd. yeah, that gets you Liligeren .
Who most likely sits in the AHL and tops out at this point as a bottom 4 defense man.
I mean hell the TOR defense totally sucked last year and he couldn't crack it when he got a chance to play.
Don't go expecting the moon any time soon.

Nah, Bleuger and Riikola are 4th liners (yes, because Riikola would play for the marlies if he was on the leafs), Bleuger has little value and Riikola has no value. So them plus a 3rd equals Kerfoot. SO this means take liligeren out. So no. You can keep your leftover junk that likely wouldn't make the leafs roster and we will keep players that either will make the roster, or will make the roster in the future. I respect you're opinion, but no I am not overvaluing them. I would say you are overvalueing the pens in this trade.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 12:49 p.m.
Why Green
This trade really is crap.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
Banned
Nah, Bleuger and Riikola are 4th liners (yes, because Riikola would play for the marlies if he was on the leafs), Bleuger has little value and Riikola has no value. So them plus a 3rd equals Kerfoot. SO this means take liligeren out. So no. You can keep your leftover junk that likely wouldn't make the leafs roster and we will keep players that either will make the roster, or will make the roster in the future. I respect you're opinion, but no I am not overvaluing them. I would say you are overvalueing the pens in this trade.

calling Blueger a 4th liner with "little value" shows you know nothing about this team. Their "4th" line spent more time on the ice than their 3rd line and played the best competition on the ice when ever they needed a stop on the ice. They were a 4th line in the sense of NYI 4th line 2 years go. Hell Blueger in his 1st year matched Kerfoots points this year with a lot less offensive help around him.
It's a shut down line, it is what it is, but they won possession damn near every time they were on the ice. Make no mistake it's their 3rd line and it will be again next year by default of the "3rd" line being god awful. It's more than capable of skating 12-14 minutes a night and willing those puck battles. So spare me the little value. He'd already be your 3C over your slow as hell 36+ year old players.

For years TOR fans have been trying to tell everyone how great their defense is and yadda yadda yadda. FFS you are a fan base that thinks Holl is a 2nd pair defense man as your defense gets shredded.
But keep telling me I over value players. Riikola would probably start on TOR. The defense is that bad.
2 years of "our young players are stars" but Sandin, should be in the AHL where he probably stays. Dermott, is a 3rd pair guy at best. Holl is a joke. and the over hyped Liljegren can't seem to make the roster and play well.
It won't be long till we here TOR fans tell us Kral and Rubins are the next great thing.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
LETS go PENS
They only need a 21 man roster.

Most run a 22-23 man though.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
LETS go PENS
calling Blueger a 4th liner with "little value" shows you know nothing about this team. Their "4th" line spent more time on the ice than their 3rd line and played the best competition on the ice when ever they needed a stop on the ice. They were a 4th line in the sense of NYI 4th line 2 years go. Hell Blueger in his 1st year matched Kerfoots points this year with a lot less offensive help around him.
It's a shut down line, it is what it is, but they won possession damn near every time they were on the ice. Make no mistake it's their 3rd line and it will be again next year by default of the "3rd" line being god awful. It's more than capable of skating 12-14 minutes a night and willing those puck battles. So spare me the little value. He'd already be your 3C over your slow as hell 36+ year old players.

For years TOR fans have been trying to tell everyone how great their defense is and yadda yadda yadda. FFS you are a fan base that thinks Holl is a 2nd pair defense man as your defense gets shredded.
But keep telling me I over value players. Riikola would probably start on TOR. The defense is that bad.
2 years of "our young players are stars" but Sandin, should be in the AHL where he probably stays. Dermott, is a 3rd pair guy at best. Holl is a joke. and the over hyped Liljegren can't seem to make the roster and play well.
It won't be long till we here TOR fans tell us Kral and Rubins are the next great thing.

Love it Pharrow!! Toronto fans are the worst. So cocky!! And then they lose. Ohh well, it’s the leafs!! Excuses, excuses, excuses. Just let them off the hook continually!! Such a shame where that franchise has gone and been with devoted fans!! U guys should demand a winner!! Just don’t show up until they Ice a winning team!!

Blueger is what they need. Defense and toughness. He’d be a fan favorite in Toronto. Toronto should be ecstatic to get a player like Blueger.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 9:26 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Edited Nov. 10, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.

Blueger got 22 points in 69 games, and this was his second season (which he only played 23 games, and I think he was healthy). Doesn't scream top 9er to me. After all, the lines without Kerfoot (since he's in this trade, he would replace Thornton if he wasn't traded) would likely be: Hyman-Matthews-Marner, Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander, Robertson-Thornton-Simmonds. He could play with Spezza and Vesey/Barbanov/whoever.
As for Riikola, is he better than Dermott or Bogo? No. Is he better than Lehtonen? That we don't know. It will be close now. If Lehtonen is really good after all though, forget it. Riikola would be on the marlies (naturrally, Holl would be in the starting lineup. He might not be ideal for the second pairing, but he's better than every other option). Sandin is going to the ahl next year of course (barring this trade and also not counting on Lehtonen to suck), as is Liligeren. Toronto's defence doesn't get enough credit. It is incredably deep (Rielly-Brodie, Muzzin-Holl, Dermott-Bogosian, Lehtonen-Sandin, Marincin-Liligeren, Rosen-Wasofksy hey you know that guy) all these guys can play nhl if needed, the first 8 are starting lineup guys on most teams. The top pairing is good now, and So the weak link is Holl as a second pairing guy, but if that's the worst part of the d, the leafs are doing pretty good.
No one ever said Kral and Rubins are any good. They are good, obvoiusly, all player with nhl are contract are compared to most people, but those 2 are not nhlers and no one said they were. Stop critizing Toronto fans for things they didn't say.
Quoting: HockeyTownUSA69
Love it Pharrow!! Toronto fans are the worst. So cocky!! And then they lose. Ohh well, it’s the leafs!! Excuses, excuses, excuses. Just let them off the hook continually!! Such a shame where that franchise has gone and been with devoted fans!! U guys should demand a winner!! Just don’t show up until they Ice a winning team!!

Blueger is what they need. Defense and toughness. He’d be a fan favorite in Toronto. Toronto should be ecstatic to get a player like Blueger.

That includes you. It took the pens 4 years with Malkin and Crosby, which was just this past season for the leafs and Matthews. The capitals, and lightning took way, way longer. Give them one or 2 more year before we can say they aren't special. Now they are still young (Matthews is 23, Marner is also 23, Nylander is 24).
Nov. 10, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Most run a 22-23 man though.

Sure, but 21 is doable. When the leafs were fully healthy last year (not to use this as an excuse, but this was basically never, 5 games maybe) they could only run 21 man roster. Injures had a silver lining and let the leafs run a 23 man roster.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 9:59 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Edited Nov. 10, 2020 at 10:17 p.m.
Blueger got 22 points in 69 games, and this was his second season (which he only played 23 games, and I think he was healthy). Doesn't scream top 9er to me. After all, the lines without Kerfoot (since he's in this trade, he would replace Thornton if he wasn't traded) would likely be: Hyman-Matthews-Marner, Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander, Robertson-Thornton-Simmonds. He could play with Spezza and Vesey/Barbanov/whoever.
As for Riikola, is he better than Dermott or Bogo? No. Is he better than Lehtonen? That we don't know. It will be close now. If Lehtonen is really good after all though, forget it. Riikola would be on the marlies (naturrally, Holl would be in the starting lineup. He might not be ideal for the second pairing, but he's better than every other option). Sandin is going to the ahl next year of course (barring this trade and also not counting on Lehtonen to suck), as is Liligeren. Toronto's defence doesn't get enough credit. It is incredably deep (Rielly-Brodie, Muzzin-Holl, Dermott-Bogosian, Lehtonen-Sandin, Marincin-Liligeren, Rosen-Wasofksy hey you know that guy) all these guys can play nhl if needed, the first 8 are starting lineup guys on most teams. The top pairing is good now, and So the weak link is Holl as a second pairing guy, but if that's the worst part of the d, the leafs are doing pretty good.
No one ever said Kral and Rubins are any good. They are good, obvoiusly, all player with nhl are contract are compared to most people, but those 2 are not nhlers and no one said they were. Stop critizing Toronto fans for things they didn't say.

That includes you. It took the pens 4 years with Malkin and Ovi, which was just this past season for the leafs and Matthews. The capitals, and lightning took way, way longer. Give them one or 2 more year before we can say they aren't special. Now they are still young (Matthews is 23, Marner is also 23, Nylander is 24).

What,?? I don’t get it?? First, Pens never had Ovi. I think u meant Malkin and Crosby?? Right? But no, we won the cups with Mario and Jagr. And then 5-8 bad years where no one went because of it. And not bandwagon. Just demanding winning from our owners and teams!! Remember, they were gonna leave and get sold?? If baseball didn’t have profit sharing the Pirates probably would have been gone long ago; 10 years after Bonds left. If they didn’t produce a winner. I mean they had the McClutchen, P.Alverez, N.Walker, AJ Burnett, G.Cole years where they ran into SF and STL buzzsaws in the play-offs. But they would definitely need to put a more competitive team of the field in the last 10.

But we had Mario/Jagr year’s. Like 4-5 down years, drafted, Fluery #1 overall and Crosby #1 and Malkin #2 and were in the play-offs Crosby’s second year, the finals his 3rd and won the SC his 4th. And I was mainly talking about the years b4 A.Matthews showed up. And see, there it goes, excuses, excuses. Leafs fans always just let them off the hook. “Our leafs are so great!!” “Wait til next year”..lol.

And people think and say the leafs defense is bad is b/c they were 26th in Goals Allowed last year. It’s the system more than the players. It wasn’t all Ceci’s fault. Toronto likes the fast, good skill handling, cutesy guys. It’s not gonna change until the system and culture changes.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 10:16 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
What,?? I don’t get it?? First, Pens never had Ovi. I think u meant Malkin and Crosby?? Right? But no, we won the cups with Mario and Jagr. And then 5-8 bad years where no one went because of it. And not bandwagon. Just demanding winning from our owners and teams!! Remember, they were gonna leave and get sold?? If baseball didn’t have profit sharing the Pirates probably would have been gone long ago; 10 years after Bonds left. If they didn’t produce a winner. I mean they had the McClutchen, P.Alverez, N.Walker, AJ Burnett, G.Cole years where they ran into SF and STL buzzsaws in the play-offs. But they would definitely need to put a more competitive team of the field in the last 10.

But we had Mario/Jagr year’s. Like 4-5 down years, drafted, Fluery #1 overall and Crosby #1 and Malkin #2 and were in the play-offs Crosby’s second year, the finals his 3rd and won the SC his 4th. And I was mainly talking about the years b4 A.Matthews showed up. And see, there it goes, excuses, excuses. Leafs fans always just let them off the hook. “Our leafs are so great!!” “Wait til next year”..lol.

And people think and say the leafs defense is bad is b/c they were 29th in Goals Allowed last year. It’s the system more than the players. It wasn’t all Ceci’s fault. Toronto likes the fast, good skill handling, cutesy guys. It’s not gonna change until the system and culture changes.

Sorry, yes, I meant Crosby. Thanks for Correcting me!
No it's not all Ceci's fault. But keep in mind, Brodie is by far the best partner Rielly ever had, we can say that before they have even played together.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
LETS go PENS
No it's not all Ceci's fault. But keep in mind, Brodie is by far the best partner Rielly ever had, we can say that before they have even played together.

And like Bogs too. I like what the leafs did this year. I think Thornton will help too. I just have been hearing it for years and now seeing the same thing on here. Leafs fans are great fans. I wish they had better owner/GM, whatever they need. They need to put a team like this years team, A winning/competitive team on the Ice every year with the support they have.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 10, 2020 at 11:02 p.m.
LETS go PENS

When Sid and Geno retire. You’ll see. 4-5 years at most of down years. Rebuild. And bank some top picks and acouple top players and back to win now, trade draft picks. Do whatever u can to put a play-off, SC team on the ice.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 12:50 a.m.
Banned

That includes you. It took the pens 4 years with Malkin and Crosby, which was just this past season for the leafs and Matthews. The capitals, and lightning took way, way longer. Give them one or 2 more year before we can say they aren't special. Now they are still young (Matthews is 23, Marner is also 23, Nylander is 24).

28 games in an 82 game season is not a year.
Hell only reason he got those games to begin with is injury call up.
Last year was his first actual year in the NHL. And his points are right there with Kerfoot who had better line motes for scoring and only put up the same amount of goals.
Calling him a 4th liner is a joke. His line spent more time on the ice than the 3rd line.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
28 games in an 82 game season is not a year.
Hell only reason he got those games to begin with is injury call up.
Last year was his first actual year in the NHL. And his points are right there with Kerfoot who had better line motes for scoring and only put up the same amount of goals.
Calling him a 4th liner is a joke. His line spent more time on the ice than the 3rd line.

It’s his fault he only played 28 games. Nobody else’s. And I said it doesn’t matter how much time he spent on the 3rd line, all that matters is what he’s be as a leaf. As for him vs Kerfoot, Kerfoot scores more points in less games this season, and the last 2, he sroced way more, not to mention he’s younger than Blueger. Obviously Bluegers still a great player. But that doesn’t mean he’s a 3rd liner for the leafs.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 9:21 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
When Sid and Geno retire. You’ll see. 4-5 years at most of down years. Rebuild. And bank some top picks and acouple top players and back to win now, trade draft picks. Do whatever u can to put a play-off, SC team on the ice.

Yup. That’s the way to build a team.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 12:53 p.m.
Banned
It’s his fault he only played 28 games. Nobody else’s. And I said it doesn’t matter how much time he spent on the 3rd line, all that matters is what he’s be as a leaf. As for him vs Kerfoot, Kerfoot scores more points in less games this season, and the last 2, he sroced way more, not to mention he’s younger than Blueger. Obviously Bluegers still a great player. But that doesn’t mean he’s a 3rd liner for the leafs.

dude sit down.
you over here with your center who got over 47% of his starts in the Ozone and only scored 9 goals gonna try to trash a guy who got 70% of his starts in the Dzone and netted the same number.
TOR fans don't know **** about hockey. It's why you chased kessel out giving up two cups.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
dude sit down.
you over here with your center who got over 47% of his starts in the Ozone and only scored 9 goals gonna try to trash a guy who got 70% of his starts in the Dzone and netted the same number.
TOR fans don't know **** about hockey. It's why you chased kessel out giving up two cups.

Kerfoot isn't a goal scorer. He is better at defence and assisting. Kerfoot also is slightly better when he's on the wing. He just is the best option for the 3rd line centre, because he still plays centre well. At any rate, he is better than Blueger. Toronto fans actually know their hockey well. The Kessel trade was part of something called a rebuild. That's when you trade all your good players for draft picks, and it makes you suck. In the leafs case, sucking got them Auston Matthews. The Kessel trade was a win, win. It got the pens 2 cups (I used to cheer for them then) and it got the leafs a top 5 centre in the nhl.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Banned
Kerfoot isn't a goal scorer. He is better at defence and assisting. Kerfoot also is slightly better when he's on the wing. He just is the best option for the 3rd line centre, because he still plays centre well. At any rate, he is better than Blueger. Toronto fans actually know their hockey well. The Kessel trade was part of something called a rebuild. That's when you trade all your good players for draft picks, and it makes you suck. In the leafs case, sucking got them Auston Matthews. The Kessel trade was a win, win. It got the pens 2 cups (I used to cheer for them then) and it got the leafs a top 5 centre in the nhl.

I love it. Kerfoot isn't a gol scorer he's "better at defense" and better than the guy who arguably centered the best defensive line in the league last year and put up just as many goals and almost as many points while doing it.
But ok. go on.
Nov. 11, 2020 at 8:05 p.m.
LETS go PENS
Edited Nov. 11, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.

You know Riikola came over from Russia 2 years ago at 25 with the same attention Lehtomen is getting. And has played well in his limited time with the Pens. It’s just unlike the leafs. The Pens D is hard to break into u. Last year our 3rd line was Shultz and J.Johnson. Sure Johnson wasn’t good. That’s where Riikola got his time. And many fans and analysts were screaming for Riikola to play more. If Lehtonen plays that well coming over and adjusting to the NHL game, which is way harder for Defenders, you should be happy!! And then re-sign him after his 2 year deal for another 2 years and 1.1M a year. Plays both LHD and RHD just as well!! He’s a perfect 7th defender!! And Sully and JR don’t mind putting him on the 2nd D pairing, either side, if there is an injury.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 12, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
You know Riikola came over from Russia 2 years ago at 25 with the same attention Lehtomen is getting. And has played well in his limited time with the Pens. It’s just unlike the leafs. The Pens D is hard to break into u. Last year our 3rd line was Shultz and J.Johnson. Sure Johnson wasn’t good. That’s where Riikola got his time. And many fans and analysts were screaming for Riikola to play more. If Lehtonen plays that well coming over and adjusting to the NHL game, which is way harder for Defenders, you should be happy!! And then re-sign him after his 2 year deal for another 2 years and 1.1M a year. Plays both LHD and RHD just as well!! He’s a perfect 7th defender!! And Sully and JR don’t mind putting him on the 2nd D pairing, either side, if there is an injury.

Thanks! Didn’t know this.
Nov. 12, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
I love it. Kerfoot isn't a gol scorer he's "better at defense" and better than the guy who arguably centered the best defensive line in the league last year and put up just as many goals and almost as many points while doing it.
But ok. go on.

Ya, but not as many points in less games. I said he’s better at assisting and defence. And how is it the best defencive line in the league. Also, he’s younger, and he’s been in the nhl in past seasons. But ok, go on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll