SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

One hot take per team in the northeastern division

Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
The islanders would be a better team if they fired trotz and hired gallant

no chance. they have ZERO offense. barzal, nelson, lee are the only real scoring threats eberle feeds off barzal, beauvillier feeds off nelson. this team is very much a defense first team and thats how trotz coaches.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: hanson493
no chance. they have ZERO offense. barzal, nelson, lee are the only real scoring threats eberle feeds off barzal, beauvillier feeds off nelson. this team is very much a defense first team and thats how trotz coaches.

The islanders lack shooting talent, they have talented offensive forwards.

Your comment on eberle is wrong, same with beauvillier.

Eberle + Barzal : 55.32 xgf% (expected goals)

Eberle w/o Barzal: 52.22 xgf%

Barzal w/o Eberle : 45.83 xgf%

Beauvillier was actually the driver on nelsons line despite Nelson also having a great impact last season.

Beauvillier : 86th percentile goals per 60 minutes, 2.5 WAR , according to money pucks shooting talent model his shot is 16.1% above league average.

The coaching isolates rank trotz system 18th defensively. Goaltending bails him out. His love for over the hill grinders holds the team back and he refuses to play younger skilled players. If Johnny Boychuk and tom kuhnachl didn't suffer injuries in the play in round, the islanders would have lost to Washington in 5 games.

Boychuk and kuhnackl played 108 minutes together at even strength this season

Goals for : 0
Goals against : 7

39% XG% . Both players were below replacement level last season and cost the isles at least 3-4 points in the standings.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
Isles7

The islanders pretty much had two Jack Johnson’s in the lineup

Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
The islanders lack shooting talent, they have talented offensive forwards.

Your comment on eberle is wrong, same with beauvillier.

Eberle + Barzal : 55.32 xgf% (expected goals)

Eberle w/o Barzal: 52.22 xgf%

Barzal w/o Eberle : 45.83 xgf%

Beauvillier was actually the driver on nelsons line despite Nelson also having a great impact last season.

Beauvillier : 86th percentile goals per 60 minutes, 2.5 WAR , according to money pucks shooting talent model his shot is 16.1% above league average.

The coaching isolates rank trotz system 18th defensively. Goaltending bails him out. His love for over the hill grinders holds the team back and he refuses to play younger skilled players. If Johnny Boychuk and tom kuhnachl didn't suffer injuries in the play in round, the islanders would have lost to Washington in 5 games.

Boychuk and kuhnackl played 108 minutes together at even strength this season

Goals for : 0
Goals against : 7

39% XG% . Both players were below replacement level last season and cost the isles at least 3-4 points in the standings.

The islanders pretty much had two Jack Johnson’s in the lineup

yeah, you gotta think though, is it trotz or is it big lou? i mean you can love the players but giving them bloated contracts isnt really on trotz. trotz has to roll with what hes got.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
Isles7
yeah, you gotta think though, is it trotz or is it big lou? i mean you can love the players but giving them bloated contracts isnt really on trotz. trotz has to roll with what hes got.

Its a mix of both - the only contracts I thought made no sense were komarovs and hickey, but Trotz has more say on signings/trades than people think. I know in Nashville poille used to sign grinders and draft certain types of players that trotz wanted. He's the reason why the islanders traded toews instead of leddy (who is a terrible fit on the isles). According to the isles writer for the athletic, trotz didn't want leddy traded because he sees him as more reliable because he's further along in his career...

The problem with trotz is he refuses to improve the team with better (and younger) internal options. The double standard he has between veteran grinders and young players is insane. Tom kuhnhackl was on for 4 goals against (in 10 min ice time) one game and he was in the lineup the next game. Bellows/wahlstrom turn the puck over one time and theyre demoted to the 4th line and back to the AHL a few days later. Boychuk had one of the worst defensive impacts in the league and Dobson was one of our better defenseman. He still elected to short shift or scratch dobson because trotz motto is vets>young players.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
Its a mix of both - the only contracts I thought made no sense were komarovs and hickey, but Trotz has more say on signings/trades than people think. I know in Nashville poille used to sign grinders and draft certain types of players that trotz wanted. He's the reason why the islanders traded toews instead of leddy (who is a terrible fit on the isles). According to the isles writer for the athletic, trotz didn't want leddy traded because he sees him as more reliable because he's further along in his career...

The problem with trotz is he refuses to improve the team with better (and younger) internal options. The double standard he has between veteran grinders and young players is insane. Tom kuhnhackl was on for 4 goals against (in 10 min ice time) one game and he was in the lineup the next game. Bellows/wahlstrom turn the puck over one time and theyre demoted to the 4th line and back to the AHL a few days later. Boychuk had one of the worst defensive impacts in the league and Dobson was one of our better defenseman. He still elected to short shift or scratch dobson because trotz motto is vets>young players.

most coaches motto's trust me though i feel your resentment. I was very anti-claude as a bruins fan. for the exact same reason. chris kelly had more value to him than tyler seguin.
Isles777 and oilcountry69 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:49 p.m.
Isles7
most coaches motto's trust me though i feel your resentment. I was very anti-claude as a bruins fan. for the exact same reason. chris kelly had more value to him than tyler seguin.

No doubt there’s a lot of coaches that favor vets, but trotz takes it to an extreme. It’s fine to have 1-2 grinders in the lineup , but trotz wants 4-6.

It’s so important to keep graduating young players to the NHL and take advantage of their ELC. Trotz would rather sign a league minimum vet and bury the kids lol
Dec. 15, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
NYR will win Cup within 3 years. Oh man, it hurts me to say this as a Devils fan.
Dec. 15, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
No doubt there’s a lot of coaches that favor vets, but trotz takes it to an extreme. It’s fine to have 1-2 grinders in the lineup , but trotz wants 4-6.

It’s so important to keep graduating young players to the NHL and take advantage of their ELC. Trotz would rather sign a league minimum vet and bury the kids lol

They need either Wahlstrom and/or Bellows to take the next step. They need a good young goal scorer to add some much-needed offense ASAP.
Dec. 15, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Brian2016
They need either Wahlstrom and/or Bellows to take the next step. They need a good young goal scorer to add some much-needed offense ASAP.

Agreed - both of them should be on the NHL roster this season but Trotz will probably want Lou to sign a vet like brassard so they have an excuse to send all the kids to the AHL
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll