Forums/Armchair-GM

Just one break is all

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 23, 2020
Published: Dec. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’m gonna preface this by saying, I am not and will never make an excuse for Stan bowman or any member of the Blackhawks management or coaching staff. I live life by the idea “luck favors the prepared.” There is true merit in this philosophy.

Having said that, even I gotta admit, for all my criticism of this team and fierce judgment of the future, this team can’t catch a break. In the beginning of the slump, it was the cap, which has never stopped being a problem. The Canadian dollar tanked and with it the cap, and now we have the pandemic. Needless to say, the cap has been a cruel mistress with plenty of real world intervention causing chaos too. Then comes the draft, and over the last decade, this team has flat out sucked in the draft. However, where this really hits and also stands as a huge criticism of bowman is our need to trade prospects well before they hit their prime. Teravainen, danault, jokiharju, and a few others come to mind here. Anyone defending these moves as cap moves or “they wouldn’t work in Chicago,” save your breath, I’m not interested.

Then there’s the big one that has come to light today. It centers around the prospects that actually have some potential attached to them. Today we learned that nylander is out for 4-6 months. Now I don’t particularly like the kid, but Jesus is that unlucky. Then we look at the world juniors. Commesso and vlasic both won’t be able to join team USA because of COVID restrictions and all we have in the tournament is Dach, teply, and slaggert. For a team “rebuilding,” that is just brutal to only have 3 players in the tournament. Then, you look at the one guy we have in the tournament with actual NHL experience, is named captain of the team, and is suppose to be the superstar of the team, and he can’t even get the 1C job?!?!?!?! He gets outed by the kid who also plays RW, hasn’t played an NHL game, and apparently is better at center than the NHLer?! Honestly this last thing just makes me laugh more than anything, and you all know why. I’ve heard people say this is just to start the tournament, but seriously, he wasn’t even good enough at center to start there? Tough look.

So, this is all to say, the Blackhawks have seriously had a rough run of luck the last 5 years. Between **** front office, cap issues, bad drafts, and terrible injury and development issues with the prospects that are actually good, it just hurts to watch. Make no mistake though, this team was never prepared for any of this bad luck. Not even so much as a plan B, and for that I don’t have any sympathy for the bowmans of the world. But you gotta feel for Kane and toews.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$67,460,481$1,090,244$5,050,000$14,039,519
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
$562,500$562,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 23, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
Dach has had more points in every recent scrimmage than Cozens. He has also shown he has grown a strong two-way game at the NHL level. So maybe he doesnt win as many faceoffs as Cozens. Cool. Not concerned whatsoever. He was named the captain. That's more important to me than him being a center in a one-off tournament that is meaningless to the Blackhawks. Vlasic and Commesso got booted from the tournament because someone on the university team had Covid, and Reichel got booted because he had Covid. 3 players who otherwise wouldve been in the tournament. Most of our prospects are too old for the tournament and are 20 21 and 22 like Regula, Mitchell, Kurashev, Barratt, Suter, etc.
Dec. 23, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
Dach has had more points in every recent scrimmage than Cozens. He has also shown he has grown a strong two-way game at the NHL level. So maybe he doesnt win as many faceoffs as Cozens. Cool. Not concerned whatsoever. He was named the captain. That's more important to me than him being a center in a one-off tournament that is meaningless to the Blackhawks. Vlasic and Commesso got booted from the tournament because someone on the university team had Covid, and Reichel got booted because he had Covid. 3 players who otherwise wouldve been in the tournament. Most of our prospects are too old for the tournament and are 20 21 and 22 like Regula, Mitchell, Kurashev, Barratt, Suter, etc.

Who cares if it’s one off? You’re telling me that still makes no difference that he couldn’t beat out a junior player for center? Also, don’t think for one second being captain matters more than position (given dach’s nhl standing) and performance.

What’s the point you’re making with commesso, vlasic, and reichel? I mentioned that them not being there due to COVID is unlucky. Sounds like you just parroted it back. Also, everyone knows those other prospects are too old. That’s why I didn’t mention any of them. Again, what’s the point being made there?
Dec. 23, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Who cares if it’s one off? You’re telling me that still makes no difference that he couldn’t beat out a junior player for center? Also, don’t think for one second being captain matters more than position (given dach’s nhl standing) and performance.

What’s the point you’re making with commesso, vlasic, and reichel? I mentioned that them not being there due to COVID is unlucky. Sounds like you just parroted it back. Also, everyone knows those other prospects are too old. That’s why I didn’t mention any of them. Again, what’s the point being made there?

My point is that you're saying that its a bad rebuild because only 3 of the prospects made the tournament. Its not. You can't say its unlucky that 3 of the prospects missed the tournament based on circumstance and then use that as a point of why the rebuild sucks. You're whole argument is contradictory to itself. There are only 2 draft classes that could have made the tournament, Id say having 6 players eligible and one that made the original czech camp from 2 drafts is a pretty solid average.
Dec. 23, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Dec. 23, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
I have a huge issue with the Cozens vs Dach comp. A.) Cozens doesn't play RW he plays Center for Lethbridge. YES, during his draft year there were indeed rumors that he'd be better suited for the wing position. He was never put there. Don't know what else to tell ya, Lethbridge kept him as a center and Cozens ran with it...that's it. B.) It was NEVER about who's the best center. It's about how can team Canada make the best #1 line. They clearly thought Dach's board battling would be more useful than Cozens on wing. That's it, period.

You completely forgot about Reichel in your **** session. You NEVER liked Dach and still don't despite him having played better than BOTH Hughes / Kakko. This tournament is only for kids drafted in the last two years...so what are you expecting? They had 6 players make their teams and half of them can't play due to COVID... Ever heard of COVID? It's a thing. Oh well...$HlT happens. You're complaining, BUT KEEP IN MIND...last year...the leader in representation was actually the Wisconsin Badgers with 4 players...more than ANY NHL team....so if my math is right 6 > 4. That's not bad representation. Sure the LA Kings have a lot this year. They have the best ranked farm system in the NHL. Sure COL has alot too. They've done a REALLY good job drafting. I'd say the best, but that's also because they won a couple of monster trades allowing them to get Byram. BUT to say Mark Kelley hasn't done a good job in the draft is also a joke too. You haven't even seen Ian Mitchell play a minute in the NHL and your going to suggest he's a bust? You haven't see Beaudin play in the NHL and he's a bust?

Bowman traded away Joki...ok yeah that trade was a loss. I agree. How did Joki do last year??? OH! He took a big step backward too... OK, so maybe I should cry over it then... I'm in full support of Bowman. Signed Lehner to a 1 year deal and like a rebuilding team should....traded him at the TDL...got Drew Commesso. Traded away Gus..and don't you dare sleep on Wyatt Kaiser! He's a true freshman playing on the #4 ranked UMD's TOP pair and now quarterbacking the 1st PP unit too. He replaced the Hobey Baker winner last year and as a freshman has filled in just fine. You know what else happened....THEY F'ING MADE THE PLAYOFFS...thanks to the NHL wanting big market teams. We got to learn ALOT about our prospects. Boqvist needs to gain some weight. Dach CRUSHED it. Kubalik was 3rd in Calder voting...terrible trade by Bowman I know. Every 5th round pick should be 3rd in Calder voting. What was Bowman thinking?!?!
Dec. 23, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
My point is that you're saying that its a bad rebuild because only 3 of the prospects made the tournament. Its not. You can't say its unlucky that 3 of the prospects missed the tournament based on circumstance and then use that as a point of why the rebuild sucks. You're whole argument is contradictory to itself. There are only 2 draft classes that could have made the tournament, Id say having 6 players eligible and one that made the original czech camp from 2 drafts is a pretty solid average.

Actually my whole argument was just poor luck. You kinda took a sharp turn into bad rebuild yourself. Again, I mentioned the cap, bad/unlucky drafts, and prospects getting injuries at bad times or COVID being a huge dent in plans. If you took this as a bad rebuild, that’s on you dude. I’m saying the Blackhawks have been flat out cursed on luck over the last five years.
Dec. 23, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I have a huge issue with the Cozens vs Dach comp. A.) Cozens doesn't play RW he plays Center for Lethbridge. YES, during his draft year there were indeed rumors that he'd be better suited for the wing position. He was never put there. Don't know what else to tell ya, Lethbridge kept him as a center and Cozens ran with it...that's it. B.) It was NEVER about who's the best center. It's about how can team Canada make the best #1 line. They clearly thought Dach's board battling would be more useful than Cozens on wing. That's it, period.

You completely forgot about Reichel in your **** session. You NEVER liked Dach and still don't despite him having played better than BOTH Hughes / Kakko. This tournament is only for kids drafted in the last two years...so what are you expecting? They had 6 players make their teams and half of them can't play due to COVID... Ever heard of COVID? It's a thing. Oh well...$HlT happens. You're complaining, BUT KEEP IN MIND...last year...the leader in representation was actually the Wisconsin Badgers with 4 players...more than ANY NHL team....so if my math is right 6 > 4. That's not bad representation. Sure the LA Kings have a lot this year. They have the best ranked farm system in the NHL. Sure COL has alot too. They've done a REALLY good job drafting. I'd say the best, but that's also because they won a couple of monster trades allowing them to get Byram. BUT to say Mark Kelley hasn't done a good job in the draft is also a joke too. You haven't even seen Ian Mitchell play a minute in the NHL and your going to suggest he's a bust? You haven't see Beaudin play in the NHL and he's a bust?

Bowman traded away Joki...ok yeah that trade was a loss. I agree. How did Joki do last year??? OH! He took a big step backward too... OK, so maybe I should cry over it then... I'm in full support of Bowman. Signed Lehner to a 1 year deal and like a rebuilding team should....traded him at the TDL...got Drew Commesso. Traded away Gus..and don't you dare sleep on Wyatt Kaiser! He's a true freshman playing on the #4 ranked UMD's TOP pair and now quarterbacking the 1st PP unit too. He replaced the Hobey Baker winner last year and as a freshman has filled in just fine. You know what else happened....THEY F'ING MADE THE PLAYOFFS...thanks to the NHL wanting big market teams. We got to learn ALOT about our prospects. Boqvist needs to gain some weight. Dach CRUSHED it. Kubalik was 3rd in Calder voting...terrible trade by Bowman I know. Every 5th round pick should be 3rd in Calder voting. What was Bowman thinking?!?!

I can only speak to on cozens vs Dach at center to simply say they both can play wing. Cozens may not have played any this past year, but that doesn’t change the fact that he can. Dach only played center in the playoffs, and if not the whole time the vast majority. I get the notion that Dach may be better with board battles but this in of itself is simply implying a rational. Besides, it’s not like a center doesn’t get involved in board battles.

Dude, that second paragraph is a mess. I LITERALLY SAID COVID HAS BEEN A HUGE DETRIMENT TO THE TEAM. IT WAS IN THE ****ING PARAGRAPH!!!!!! I absolutely understand COVID ruined chances to be, THATS WHAT I WAS ARGUING FOR! Everyone is seriously reading this horribly wrong. The hawks have had terrible luck the last five years with the cap, COVID, drafts, and prospects. Jesus Christ people read the whole ****ing thing. Btw, beaudin did play a game last year, looked decent 😉. I also like Mitchell, so take it easy. I forgot reichel? Yup, I sure did didn’t I. That adds to the unlucky message.

What is that last paragraph? I’m assuming it’s you assuming I’m saying I think this is a piss poor rebuild, which figures but makes the paragraph pointless. Having said that, let’s go point by point. Joker trade was a loss, well said. Lehner was traded, and no, that trade didn’t yield us commesso, but we managed to draft him. Here’s hoping in five years he’s the real deal. I just don’t care about the Gus trade anymore, sick of that ****. Kaiser could something, agreed, far too early to tell, but a very good start. Playoffs, yes, the hawks made the playoffs due to people dying and the NHL needing money. Agreed. Prospects showed their positives and negatives. Agreed. I’m assuming kubalik being the argument is to show your dedication to bowman? Okay. Nuff said there. Again, problem is, I think you just didn’t get what my point was. Just sheer lack of luck for the hawks these five years. Bowman blows, don’t get wrong, but so much bad luck has befallen us. I just like the lack of accountability on that front.

Sorry if you wasted your time writing all this. I get the first paragraph, but I think you really thought I was thinking something the rest of the comment.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll