Forums/Armchair-GM

Season ThoughtsPredictions

Created by: Coleharborcrosby
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2021
Published: Jan. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is what I imagine the healthy lines look like once ZAR comes back.

All off-season I think I was under-estimating Jankowski. The more I look into him and watch him play I actually think he could be a good fit. The third line when healthy of McCann-Janko-Tanev could actually be a great 3rd line. McCann will need to step up as a shooter and provide goal support to 1st and 2nd lines.

The 4th line will probably be shifted around with injuries quite often. Lafferty and Rodriguez will likely be in the lineup most nights.

The top 6 is very strong. I hope they can stay healthy. I think once Kapanen gets acclimated he will be a great fit with Sid and Jake. I think Sid is going to have a monster year. The last time people started to doubt him we went off to win back2back cups and was dominant. I personally still think he is the best all-around player in the world and think he will show that again this year. I see Crosby winning some individual hardware at the end of the year. At least 1 or a combo of Hart, Art Ross, Selke, Rocket, Messier (It`s a crime he has only one leadership award)

The 2nd line could be the best 2nd line in the NHL. Probably Pitt or Edm.

On D, Dumo-Letang is going to be great as always - just need to stay healthy.

I think Matheson is going to have a great year. Marino will also take a step forward offensively.

Ceci will be fine. MP I think will be traded at some point this year. POJ could step in or they bring someone in via trade.

Pens do have over 2M in cap space.

The biggest difference this year will be speed and the PP. Reirden will bring back an elite PP unit. Letang will thrive in this new set up. So will Sid and Malkin.

PK will be strong again as well. There are multiple others that could see time on these units (Kapanen, Rust, ScevIour, ZAR, Crosby, Guentzel, Marino)

I hope and think Jarry will pull through. He has a lot of pressure to preform well this year. He is the biggest question mark but I do have faith in him. I am less comfortable with Desmith. With the amount of B2B games and condensed schedule he is going to have to play quite a lot of games and he will need to step up. If he isn`t cutting it 1 month into the season I could see them biting the bullet and pulling off a trade for another more dependable goalie. GMJR likes his goalie depth.

This is it. Pens need a deep playoff run or the core is probably getting broken up (and should be if they can`t be successful anymore). I think the Pens surprise people and finish 1st or 2nd in the division (barring a bunch of injuries to key players).

If Jarry delivers and they stay healthy I see it as follows.

Flyers
Penguins
Capitals
Sabres
Islanders
Bruins
Rangers
Devils

Keep in mind that the East division is absolutely insane and I honestly wouldn`t be too surprised if any team outside of NJ wins it. I think Boston is going to fall off a bit and will struggle with injuries off the bat. Losing Chara hurts too.

Philly is a damn good team. Their forward depth is pretty crazy and Hart is going to have a big year.

Caps I could see missing or winning the division but I think they probably finish somewhere 2-4.

I think Eichel, Hall, Dahlin carry Buffalo to the playoffs. They are probably the hungriest team. I think they pull it off.

Islanders are weird to me. Trotz could will them to the playoffs but I think they lose a step this year. They lost some quality players this offseason and other teams all got better.

If I were to guess the top 4 teams from each conference I would say by the end of the year it will be:

Flyers Pens Caps Hurricanes (maybe the Leafs?)

Avalanche Knights Stars Oilers
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,606,842$0$850,000$3,893,158

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$1,150,000$1,150,000 ($75,000$75K$75,000$75K)
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
I agree with your analysis of the team. Love the top 6 and D. The 3rd line is a big question mark but hopefully it’s solid. Like u said they do have some cap to improve the third line if need be
Coleharborcrosby liked this.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
CbjSabresDucks
I honestly really thought Pit was gonna claim Ho Sang. I think you really need to upgrade that 3rd line
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
I agree with your analysis of the team. Love the top 6 and D. The 3rd line is a big question mark but hopefully it’s solid. Like u said they do have some cap to improve the third line if need be

Yeah exactly. I wasn`t happy all summer with 3rd line but like I said it`s really growing on me. We`ll see how it works out in the season. If they can be a good defensive line and just even adequate offensively then I think the top 6 and PP has enough firepower to make it work. If it doesn`t then the cap space is there to do something like you mentioned.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
I honestly really thought Pit was gonna claim Ho Sang. I think you really need to upgrade that 3rd line

Ho-Sang is a bum. If they upgrade 3rd line it will be via trade and will be for someone more established than him.

I thought the 3rd line was not nearly good enough all offseason but the more I dive into it the more I like it. But we`ll see, maybe I`m buying into the hype too much. The good news is they have some cap room and they aren`t afraid to burn picks/assets to improve.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:34 p.m.
I cannot see us being second in this division. Third you could possibly sell me on but not second. Flyers are probably going to be first overall. I dont see how the Bruins are worse then number 2 with everything they have at their disposal and getting back Tuukka Rask at full health and focused in this time. The Capitals have gotten a lot older and slower it seems and are embracing the "MUH GRIT" Guys which I feel is a recipe for disaster for them so I can see them taking a step or two back. Islanders are like you mentioned a wild card so time will tell with them. Buffalo is extremely interesting but thats really all there is to that they gotta prove it on the ice. Devils are rebuilding, Rangers are on the upswing But their back 6 has some question marks. At best Penguins are 3 or 4 seed.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 8:41 p.m.
Quoting: Steinthekid
I cannot see us being second in this division. Third you could possibly sell me on but not second. Flyers are probably going to be first overall. I dont see how the Bruins are worse then number 2 with everything they have at their disposal and getting back Tuukka Rask at full health and focused in this time. The Capitals have gotten a lot older and slower it seems and are embracing the "MUH GRIT" Guys which I feel is a recipe for disaster for them so I can see them taking a step or two back. Islanders are like you mentioned a wild card so time will tell with them. Buffalo is extremely interesting but thats really all there is to that they gotta prove it on the ice. Devils are rebuilding, Rangers are on the upswing But their back 6 has some question marks. At best Penguins are 3 or 4 seed.

Maybe I`m being too optimistic. I think *IF* the Pens core can stay healthy (which never happens) then Sid can take them somewhere 1-4. I think the points from 1-6 are going to be extremely close. Like, 10-12 points between 1st and 6th close.

If these 5 things happen then I think Pens come 1st. If none happen they don`t make playoffs. Anywhere in the middle they come 2-4.

1) Pens core stays healthy
2) Jarry excels, Desmith (or another goalie) is above average as a backup
3) Sid/Geno/Letang have monster years
4) 3rd line is strong defensively and pitches in offensively
5) PP gets back to elite status (20%+)
mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2021 at 12:53 a.m.
Banned
Not sure how you think Jankowski is better than you thought.
The guy looks slow. In that scrimmage they played he was getting chased down from behind and turning over the puck. He got goals simply by standing in front of the net. But that's much easier to do in a scrimmage against teammates than a real game.
This teams 3rd line is awful. They can't play 20+ minutes a night hoping the 3rd and 4th line doesn't completely blow it. Even if the 4th line of ZAR, Blueger, Tanev swallows the majority of that time.
You still got 8-10 minutes a night of hold your breath hockey. Given Ceci will anchor the defense much like JJ did. I can't see this team finishing above 4thl.

Quoting: Bdawwwgy1

if they need an upgrade that ain't it.
Bdawwwgy1 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2021 at 1:22 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
Not sure how you think Jankowski is better than you thought.
The guy looks slow. In that scrimmage they played he was getting chased down from behind and turning over the puck. He got goals simply by standing in front of the net. But that's much easier to do in a scrimmage against teammates than a real game.
This teams 3rd line is awful. They can't play 20+ minutes a night hoping the 3rd and 4th line doesn't completely blow it. Even if the 4th line of ZAR, Blueger, Tanev swallows the majority of that time.
You still got 8-10 minutes a night of hold your breath hockey. Given Ceci will anchor the defense much like JJ did. I can't see this team finishing above 4thl.

if they need an upgrade that ain't it.

We`ll have to wait and see. I think at some point they will make an upgrade regardless. Look at my next ACGM.

There is enough speed with McCann and Tanev or Lafferty on Jankowskis line that it will be fine. Jankowski can work the corners with Tanev and dish the puck to McCann. They will be fine defensively but the only question mark is going to be can they put up points. I don`t think they are going to be able to like HBK obviously and I think they will try and make a move to spread out scoring before playoffs. The top 6 is loaded already but another young, skilled forward would be ideal.
Jan. 12, 2021 at 2:54 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: ChampEddy
We`ll have to wait and see. I think at some point they will make an upgrade regardless. Look at my next ACGM.

There is enough speed with McCann and Tanev or Lafferty on Jankowskis line that it will be fine. Jankowski can work the corners with Tanev and dish the puck to McCann. They will be fine defensively but the only question mark is going to be can they put up points. I don`t think they are going to be able to like HBK obviously and I think they will try and make a move to spread out scoring before playoffs. The top 6 is loaded already but another young, skilled forward would be ideal.

I just don't see the point this team is trying to make. We moved Hornqvist, and rightly so, because he was too damn slow and it was seriously a problem. Only to replace him with Jankowski, who looks even slower.
He's gonna be riding pine by years end, I have no doubt about that.
You just can't fix a guy being that slow with other players. At this point this team needs to let Blueger be a 3C and Lafferty be the 4C. It's not ideal but at least they got jump in their step.
Sitting a guy like OConnor who at least shows something for a guy like Sceviour who was non existent tells a lot about this teams commitment.
Just glaring issues.
They keep POJ, and they should incase Matheson falters.
But they keep Angelo over Poulin. How did that make us better?
They keep Chad R. who doesn't help us win games, but a guy like Maniscalco who could help us win games gets sent down. We know what Chad is. He's a body. They should play Maniscalco because their is at least a chance there he plays well and is more than a body.
With no risk there will be no reward. This team just isn't in a position to play safe. As Torts would way, "safe is death" and he's right.
They got to make better choices.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll