SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Is Kaprisov the calder winner?

Mar. 22, 2021 at 8:04 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
BTW, I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying, but how is what I'm saying any different than saying that the Hart Trophy winner must come from a playoff team? It's not official policy, but most of the writers won't vote for a player on a team that misses. Just like many people won't vote for a 26 year old for the Calder. It seems like a matter of personal preference. If McDavid put up anywhere near the number of points that Panarin did in 15-16 he'd have won in a landslide. Nobody wanted Panarin to win, but his numbers were overwhelmingly better than the rest of the pack.

I still don’t understand how you can say that no one wants/wanted Panarin or Kaprizov to win, because they’re both great players, and I’ve interacted with very few people who actually care how old the Calder winner is. I don’t know if this is some anti-Russian bias or what, but most people I know don’t share the same views.

And while I disagree with not voting for non-playoff players, that’s because that’s how the voters interpret who it is that the award goes to. No one can interpret “the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League” as meaning that you should vote for only young players. In my eyes, people that don’t vote for players because they’re older are just as bad as the people who didn’t vote for John Tortorella just because they didn’t like him, or make biased picks on their ballot.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 22, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I still don’t understand how you can say that no one wants/wanted Panarin or Kaprizov to win, because they’re both great players, and I’ve interacted with very few people who actually care how old the Calder winner is. I don’t know if this is some anti-Russian bias or what, but most people I know don’t share the same views.

And while I disagree with not voting for non-playoff players, that’s because that’s how the voters interpret who it is that the award goes to. No one can interpret “the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League” as meaning that you should vote for only young players. In my eyes, people that don’t vote for players because they’re older are just as bad as the people who didn’t vote for John Tortorella just because they didn’t like him, or make biased picks on their ballot.

When I said nobody wanted Panarin to win I wasn't being literal. I think the hockey world in general was rooting for McDavid

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll