Forums/Armchair-GM

Becoming harder to play against

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 9, 2021
Published: May 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now that the smoke has settled on the Wilson incident a bit more, and hopefully we all have clearer heads (me especially, given my original Lucic trade proposal :P), let's see how we can prevent issues like that from happening again, without sacrificing too much in the cap or skill department. I've heard a lot from the coach and the new GM/president about wanting to be more difficult to play against. So let's get some hockey players that can still do that hockey, but have size or unwavering grit. Because let's be honest, we aren't completely made of glass or vulnerable when Trouba, Lindgren, and Kreider are on the ice. I don't think either beat Wilson one on one, but they could certainly hold their own like Smith did, and love or hate Wilson, probably only Reaves in the NHL right now can easily beat him in a fight

CHI trade:
- Why it helps NYR: Zadorov is a massive body that takes no crap. He'll switch places around with Lindgren and Miller where needed, but preferably he forms a big boy shut down line with Trouba. This takes some pressure off of K'Andre Miller and lets him develop a little more slowly, rather than putting him immediately on the shut down pairing, which seemed to wear on him as his second half of the season was not nearly as good as the first. While the term could potentially be an issue for Zadorov, who is coming off of several little bridge deals and will probably want some more security, at 4 years it lets Miller develop fully into his 2nd pairing role, and the contract is not completely immoveable as 4mil is a pretty standard defensive defensemen contract. I'm sure Zac Jones will be an amazing player, but I really don't think he's going to fit anywhere in the Rangers' long term plans. We already have Adam Fox, so we could use a big body rather than a smaller more skilled defenseman. This year proved Igor is the #1 guy (as if we didn't know already!), so Georgiev should be made available. Kinkaid proved himself to still be a pretty solid backup goaltender, so he takes the place for now as others develop.
- Why it helps CHI: As much as they don't want to be, they're in a rebuild. They don't seem to have any offensive defensemen, so they could use a young and up and coming defensemen to be groomed into that premiere role as Keith begins to hang up his skates. Lankinen had a really good run, but finished with low numbers; having a 1A 1B type goaltender like Georgiev should shore up their goaltending situation.

CBJ trade:
- Why it helps NYR: When you look up the definition of grit and harder to play against, Domi is close to the top of the list, and probably #1 in terms of available players. Domi has a nice combination of grit, skill, and scoring, and even though his faceoff percentage is not great, it's better than ANY center on the Rangers. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Chytil will develop nicely and eventually be a 2nd line center in this League, but with Ryan Strome stapling himself to this team (scoring wise and leadership wise), I just do not see it happening here. There's no room to move Chytil to the wing, and a 3rd line center normally should not be an all-skill type player. So unfortunately, I see Chytil getting moved at some point. Given that he probably isn't an exact replacement right now, and it is "just" RFA rights, we'll include some additional RFA rights players to fill out their roster, and perhaps a replacement for Savard in Tarmo (or any other defense prospect we have [Hajek, Rykov, etc])
- Why it helps CBJ: I hear their offseason plans are to "get a #1 center to help Laine", so that tells me two things... one, they don't view Domi as a number one center (granted, he isn't), and two, they're gonna want some money around to do that. Given that Roslovic has pretty well emerged as a number 2 center right now, that also pushes Domi further down. They also do need to sign Laine, so this all pretty well spells the end for Domi in CBJ, especially given how this season went for him. In return they get some cheaper bodies that have some pretty nice skill ceilings; Chytil is a middle 6 center, Gauthier is a nice middle six winger, Howden is a good defensive and penalty killing 4th line center (to replace Nash), and they get some young help on the backend. I think CBJ will be in a bit of a retool, and this trade probably doesn't hurt them whatsoever.

Expansion draft:
I put Blackwell here, but it can really be anyone. For example if it ends up being Gauthier, then sub in Blackwell for the CBJ trade and it's still pretty much the same. Really depends who the Rangers protect, as there are a lot of options once all the top 6 F and top 4 D are taken care of

Simmonds:
Depending what happens in TOR, Simmonds could end up wanting to stay. Dubas seems to only want to pay his bottom six forwards league minimums, so perhaps if the Rangers very slightly overpay, they can convince him. Simmonds proved this year he can still do hockey and be a nice physical presence. He stands in front of the net on the second power play unit, and perhaps acts as a mentor for Morgan Barron, who is a big body that can use some more physicality. If for whatever reason we couldn't convince him, or TOR locks him up (they need some grit, too), perhaps we'll have to trade another piece over to STL for Clifford. Works about the same, I think
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
3$4,000,000
2$2,500,000
4$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Zadorov, Nikita [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VGK)
CBJ
  1. Chytil, Filip [RFA Rights]
  2. Gauthier, Julien [RFA Rights]
  3. Howden, Brett [RFA Rights]
  4. Reunanen, Tarmo
NYR
    Expansion draft
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$72,458,135$0$8,900,000$9,041,865

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $1,325,000$1,325,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $825,000$825,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $737,500$737,500
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 9, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
    domi has been absolutely awful this year. the rangers are better off keeping all of their assets. Same with zadorov i understand that youre trying to get them players that play physical but there are cheaper and better options
    May 9, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
    Raggy
    WAY too much to give up for Domi. NYR will be in for proven players and not players still trying to fulfill their potential, Domi doesn't seem like to much of a fit.
    May 9, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
    Quoting: Raggy
    WAY too much to give up for Domi. NYR will be in for proven players and not players still trying to fulfill their potential, Domi doesn't seem like to much of a fit.

I meant to include a 2nd round pick in the Domi trade, my bad. I don't really think they are any parts that we will miss, and again they are "only" RFA rights so I feel like that devalues them at least somewhat.

Quoting: Vermathex
    domi has been absolutely awful this year. the rangers are better off keeping all of their assets. Same with zadorov i understand that youre trying to get them players that play physical but there are cheaper and better options

Yeah, he had a lot of beef with Torts and was moved around so much, so it's hard to gauge. But still, he finished about a half point per game. That's not completely awful. It's a one year gamble while we can still spare the cap before Mika, Fox, and co need big contracts next year.

What are some cheaper options that can do a similar job? Regardless, I feel like all the pieces traded should be moved. I don't really see any of them being in the long term plans
    May 9, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
    Quoting: mvp13
    I meant to include a 2nd round pick in the Domi trade, my bad. I don't really think they are any parts that we will miss, and again they are "only" RFA rights so I feel like that devalues them at least somewhat.

Yeah, he had a lot of beef with Torts and was moved around so much, so it's hard to gauge. But still, he finished about a half point per game. That's not completely awful. It's a one year gamble while we can still spare the cap before Mika, Fox, and co need big contracts next year.

What are some cheaper options that can do a similar job? Regardless, I feel like all the pieces traded should be moved. I don't really see any of them being in the long term plans

chytil is definitly in the long term plan of the team. in reality the rangers to have plays that play the physical game. Kreider and trouba are both top 50 in hits and lindgren plays hard. All they need is a 4th line hitter maby hathaway from washington or archiblad from EDM
    May 10, 2021 at 8:45 a.m.
    mostly harmless
    Domi may have had an awful start to his time here, but around the tail end of the season he was improving significantly, so we're not in a rush to move him.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll