Forums/Armchair-GM

Building Off of Drmantalbans Idea

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 3, 2021
Published: Jun. 3, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This roster is a good example of my 3 - 2nd line centers theory. With this group of Wings, 3 - 2nd line centers would work just fine.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$5,000,000
5$6,250,000
8$9,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,850,000
1$2,500,000
2$900,000
2$3,750,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Konecny, Travis
  2. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
Credit to @drmantalban for this trade idea.
PHI
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Greenway, Jordan
  3. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Lower of the Wild’s 2 - 1sts
MIN
SEA
  1. Kähkönen, Kaapo
  2. Rask, Victor
Additional Details:
Would Seattle take this?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,212,500$0$815,000$7,287,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$825,833$825,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 3, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
It's not a bad trade for the Flyers but I wouldn't do it personally
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned
Minnesota shouldn't give kaapo kahkonen to Seattle. Especially when wild have no other Goalies who are even close or have experience behind Talbot

We already have a G prospect not willing to sign
Jun. 3, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
6 of your top-9 FWDs are 5'-10" or smaller
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
6 of your top-9 FWDs are 5'-10" or smaller

Why is that relevant for Kap, Zucc, Fiala and TK? They're all proven top 6 players, so you're not gonna shuffle them over height. Wennberg I could pass on, and Rossi is a giant question mark (but probably safe to assume he starts in Iowa).
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
Why is that relevant for Kap, Zucc, Fiala and TK? They're all proven top 6 players, so you're not gonna shuffle them over height. Wennberg I could pass on, and Rossi is a giant question mark (but probably safe to assume he starts in Iowa).

You need a balance on your team. Add in Rossi as a top-6C, and one of Spurgeon or Addison on the back end and the team has 4 guys on the ice that are all small at the same time. Neither of Suter or Brodin are physical players either. You need that net front presence in both the o-zone and d-zone.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
You need a balance on your team. Add in Rossi as a top-6C, and one of Spurgeon or Addison on the back end and the team has 4 guys on the ice that are all small at the same time. Neither of Suter or Brodin are physical players either. You need that net front presence in both the o-zone and d-zone.

Yeah but most of those pieces are what they are. I feel like that argument is fine to use for reasons against getting Wennberg, but I'd hope there are other things hinging on that decision besides height. As for TK, to me that's not a valid reason to exclude him from consideration. I think if we've learned anything from Bjugstad and Greenway, it's that size doesn't necessarily translate to effective net front presence. Both of those guys have to be some of the softest 6'6" skaters I've ever seen. Greenway took some strides this year and showed flashes of strength, but there were also plenty of old JG moments.

Dvorak would be a good add for this reason though. He's not massive, but he plays very tough and I think we'd probably both agree that he offers a lot of value in that regard.

Re: Rossi - relative to everything else, IMO his height is pretty low on the list of concerns.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 2:06 p.m.
Yeah but most of those pieces are what they are. I feel like that argument is fine to use for reasons against getting Wennberg, but I'd hope there are other things hinging on that decision besides height. As for TK, to me that's not a valid reason to exclude him from consideration. I think if we've learned anything from Bjugstad and Greenway, it's that size doesn't necessarily translate to effective net front presence. Both of those guys have to be some of the softest 6'6" skaters I've ever seen. Greenway took some strides this year and showed flashes of strength, but there were also plenty of old JG moments.

Dvorak would be a good add for this reason though. He's not massive, but he plays very tough and I think we'd probably both agree that he offers a lot of value in that regard.

Re: Rossi - relative to everything else, IMO his height is pretty low on the list of concerns.

Rossi's height is one of my biggest concerns being a center. There is nothing elite about his game, good in lots of areas but great at nothing.

TK is a fine player, but he's more of what MN already has, and what they have in the pipeline. He also was on a lines with big guys, 6'-3" Couts or 6'-5" Hayes.

The only team a small FWD group has worked for is TB, but their d-corps ranges from 6'-0" 205 lbs to 6'-6" 225 lbs. It's about balance.

Greenway didn't no-show many games this year. He opened up so much ice in the o-zone because we was constantly drawing 2 players to him. That line wasn't trapped in the d-zone very often in part because of his size.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
Rossi's height is one of my biggest concerns being a center. There is nothing elite about his game, good in lots of areas but great at nothing.

TK is a fine player, but he's more of what MN already has, and what they have in the pipeline. He also was on a lines with big guys, 6'-3" Couts or 6'-5" Hayes.

The only team a small FWD group has worked for is TB, but their d-corps ranges from 6'-0" 205 lbs to 6'-6" 225 lbs. It's about balance.

Greenway didn't no-show many games this year. He opened up so much ice in the o-zone because we was constantly drawing 2 players to him. That line wasn't trapped in the d-zone very often in part because of his size.

You're not understanding my point. I agree that balance is important, but it's not as simple as just looking at a size chart. Rask is 6'2" but can't win a battle to save his life. Mojo 6'1" - embarrassingly weak on the puck. Edgework, skating, compete level, experience, strength and overall skill are all more important factors that physical stature. I understand that a tipping point exists - Shea Weber is effective due in large part to his size. You absolutely need some of that to win a cup, I'm not arguing otherwise. But to dismiss a player simply based on size is not a take that I agree with.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
You're not understanding my point. I agree that balance is important, but it's not as simple as just looking at a size chart. Rask is 6'2" but can't win a battle to save his life. Mojo 6'1" - embarrassingly weak on the puck. Edgework, skating, compete level, experience, strength and overall skill are all more important factors that physical stature. I understand that a tipping point exists - Shea Weber is effective due in large part to his size. You absolutely need some of that to win a cup, I'm not arguing otherwise. But to dismiss a player simply based on size is not a take that I agree with.

MarJo was awful, so was Bjugstad and Rask, that's no surprise they've been that way for awhile. Greenway was not awful and was finding his game at the NHL level, it's a farce to put him in with that group.

TK is the same things as 3 other wings already on the team so that makes him redundant to the team at that point. Kaprizov and Fiala are better, Zucc and TK are about equal. Once Rossi enters the mix that is a very small top-6 overall, and a small d-corps added to that.

MN is back in a Division with COL, NSH, STL, DAL, and WIN next year, the powderpuff teams in the West are gone and it's back to the grind and earning your points every game.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: BoeserSZNMNBoy
Minnesota shouldn't give kaapo kahkonen to Seattle. Especially when wild have no other Goalies who are even close or have experience behind Talbot

We already have a G prospect not willing to sign

Which goalie prospect refuses to sign? The 7th rounder that's still in college?
Jun. 3, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
Banned
Which goalie prospect refuses to sign? The 7th rounder that's still in college?

He left college, & sent a 30 day notice to wild yesterday

Apparently he's planning to go free agent route, & sign with another team in late July when he can
Jun. 3, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
I don't understand your Kraken take. I think the Kraken could easily take either Talbot or Kahkonen. No matter who we protect, either of those are likely in the top 6 goalies available.

So why would they take Rask as part of a Kahkonen selection? I think they would be just as happy with Talbot if Kahk is protected. If they don't like Talbot, then there's still Dumba, Soucy, or Greenway depending on what we do.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 5:01 p.m.
He left college, & sent a 30 day notice to wild yesterday

Apparently he's planning to go free agent route, & sign with another team in late July when he can

Good for him, it's his right. He's a 22 yo that MN took a 7th round flyer on in his D+2 year a couple years ago. Did MN even offer him a more than a min ELC? MN gets more players than they lose from this rule, and they get plenty of undrafted RFAs to sign with them.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
MarJo was awful, so was Bjugstad and Rask, that's no surprise they've been that way for awhile. Greenway was not awful and was finding his game at the NHL level, it's a farce to put him in with that group.

TK is the same things as 3 other wings already on the team so that makes him redundant to the team at that point. Kaprizov and Fiala are better, Zucc and TK are about equal. Once Rossi enters the mix that is a very small top-6 overall, and a small d-corps added to that.

MN is back in a Division with COL, NSH, STL, DAL, and WIN next year, the powderpuff teams in the West are gone and it's back to the grind and earning your points every game.

Is small puck a thing? Maybe we're trying to reinvent hockey smile

Yeah, that list of under 6 foot players does not sound intimidating
Jun. 3, 2021 at 5:31 p.m.
Banned
Good for him, it's his right. He's a 22 yo that MN took a 7th round flyer on in his D+2 year a couple years ago. Did MN even offer him a more than a min ELC? MN gets more players than they lose from this rule, and they get plenty of undrafted RFAs to sign with them.

Have you, & or others heard why wild let go of G prospect Mats Robson? Wild literally don't have A G who can take over if one of Talbot, & kaapo gets hurt
Jun. 3, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Have you, & or others heard why wild let go of G prospect Mats Robson? Wild literally don't have A G who can take over if one of Talbot, & kaapo gets hurt

I think Hunter Jones would be the next guy up. But, no, I never heard what happened with Mats.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
I think Hunter Jones would be the next guy up. But, no, I never heard what happened with Mats.

I just don't think hunter Jones is anywhere ready for NHL right?

Could something have happened? It's really weird how nothing ever came out about why he was let go
Jun. 3, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
Edited Jun. 3, 2021 at 7:47 p.m.
I just don't think hunter Jones is anywhere ready for NHL right?

Could something have happened? It's really weird how nothing ever came out about why he was let go

This is the best I could find. I don't remember Russo ever writing about it. And yeah, it's kinda weird, but on the other hand there's lots of AHL guys who don't make it to the show. I guess with the local angle tho you might expect more coverage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/matt-robson-doesnt-get-qualifying-offer/amp/

Also, Hunter might not be ready, but he's next up.
BoeserSZNMNBoy liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 9:04 p.m.

They didn't QO him. Remember goalie KK was supposed to be in the AHL this year with Jones. Talbot was the starter and Stalock was the backup going into the season. The taxi squad wasn't a thing when the QO were due, otherwise I think he would have been re-signed instead of scrambling to sign Hammond at that last minute.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 9:16 p.m.
Banned
They didn't QO him. Remember goalie KK was supposed to be in the AHL this year with Jones. Talbot was the starter and Stalock was the backup going into the season. The taxi squad wasn't a thing when the QO were due, otherwise I think he would have been re-signed instead of scrambling to sign Hammond at that last minute.

Thank you. Should wild look at resigning him? Should wild draft? I just feel like wild can't go into next year not having a reliable 3rd Goalie
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 9:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
This is the best I could find. I don't remember Russo ever writing about it. And yeah, it's kinda weird, but on the other hand there's lots of AHL guys who don't make it to the show. I guess with the local angle tho you might expect more coverage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/matt-robson-doesnt-get-qualifying-offer/amp/

Also, Hunter might not be ready, but he's next up.

This is what is so secretive about this. Is he still even in the AHL with another team? Does people think maybe something happened which is why Russo or others never said anything about it? Like the secretive in the wild organization about Josh Harding situation for a long time?
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Thank you. Should wild look at resigning him? Should wild draft? I just feel like wild can't go into next year not having a reliable 3rd Goalie

Having a good NHL tandem is enough. If one gets hurt the other takes over until they are healthy. Then have a kid and a vet (NHL washout) in the AHL. That should be enough to cover everything.

I think they should draft a goalie every year with a mid-late pick. Just keep that pipeline flowing and maybe you hit on one of them every 4 years or so. Goalies move around a lot until they make it or bust out. It's just the nature of the position because of the limited opportunities to play after Jr/college.

This is what is so secretive about this. Is he still even in the AHL with another team? Does people think maybe something happened which is why Russo or others never said anything about it? Like the secretive in the wild organization about Josh Harding situation for a long time?

He was in DEL this year with not good stats. Nothing secretive about it, MN simply parted ways with him. It happens every year when players aren't given QO's, it's not worth writing about more than the info it happened.

MN already had 5 goalies under contract with Dub/Talbot, Stalock, Jones, goalie KK, and Baribeau (he gets forgotten). That's already (if all healthy) 2 in the NHL, 2 in the AHL, and 1 in the ECHL; and that is 10% of the 50 man roster contracts. There isn't enough playing time for 6 goalies, and it's bad use of the 50 man roster.
Wildwinswhen liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll