SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Trying to come up with an OEL trade that provides some benefit to those involved

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2021-22 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 20, 2021
Published: Jun. 20, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$5,000,000
1$750,000
1$832,500
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,800,000
2$2,950,000
1$1,200,000
Trades
ARI
    Traded to whichever team hires Rick Tocchet as head coach.
    ARI
      Expansion Draft
      SEA
      1. Hill, Adin [RFA Rights]
      VAN
      1. Ekman-Larsson, Oliver ($1,150,000 retained)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the ARI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      20$81,500,000$59,537,784$196,951$2,732,500$21,962,216
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 5
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      $7,150,000$7,150,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 7
      $2,950,000$2,950,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $5,850,000$5,850,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 5
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,150,000$2M)
      C, LW
      RFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,533,333$1,533,333
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,600,000$4,600,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 4
      $5,800,000$5,800,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $5,950,000$5,950,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      G
      UFA - 1
      $832,500$832,500
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      RD
      RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
      I'd rather have Schmidt. The only way I'd be interested in OEL is if they take Myers and retain
      sensonfire and Rocket88 liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:20 p.m.
      I don’t know if the Canucks can afford OEL’s cap hit with contracts due to Petersson and Hughes. Maybe if the Yotes take back Eriksson - I think he’s $6M but only $4M owed and that may work for Arizona
      sensonfire liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Quoting: NLidstrom
      I don’t know if the Canucks can afford OEL’s cap hit with contracts due to Petersson and Hughes. Maybe if the Yotes take back Eriksson - I think he’s $6M but only $4M owed and that may work for Arizona

If you ignore the money side of an OEL trade with the Canucks, an OEL-Loui Eriksson swap would be absolutely devastating to Arizona.
      NLidstrom liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
      Quoting: sensonfire
      If you ignore the money side of an OEL trade with the Canucks, an OEL-Loui Eriksson swap would be absolutely devastating to Arizona.

Not a player for player trade, rather add Eriksson to the deal you have above. That might make the money and trade work.

Or add a Beagle or Rousell? Their cap hits might be enough, but I’m only roughly eyeballing it on my end
      sensonfire liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Quoting: TheAlien
      I'd rather have Schmidt. The only way I'd be interested in OEL is if they take Myers and retain

What if Arizona took Virtanen as well?
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
      What if Arizona took Virtanen as well?

Virtanen is basically irrelevant his buyout is 50k then 500k
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:38 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Virtanen is basically irrelevant his buyout is 50k then 500k

If not Virtanen, then Holtby?

Also, with Myers gone, how does Vancouver address the right side of their defence?
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
      If not Virtanen, then Holtby?

Nope, it has to be Myers. It doesn't make sense to take a six year contract just to move someone who's got one year left
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
      I think that's a horrible trade for Arizona, Arizona is giving up the most value and doesn't get too much back in return
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Quoting: A_Habs_fan
      I think that's a horrible trade for Arizona, Arizona is giving up the most value and doesn't get too much back in return

Arizona has zero control over an OEL trade.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Nope, it has to be Myers. It doesn't make sense to take a six year contract just to move someone who's got one year left

That's fine.

How would you address the right side of Vancouver's defence with Myers gone in that event?
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
      That's fine.

How would you address the right side of Vancouver's defence with Myers gone in that event?

Hamonic and Schmidt would play with Hughes and OEL. Probably just find someone to play with Rathbone in FA
      sensonfire liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
      I wouldn't trade Myers straight up for OEL unless there's huge retention.

I'm not saying Myers is a better player (he's not) but the Canucks are at least 3-4 years away from contending (assuming things go well) and Myers' 6m cap hit will be gone in three years, OEL's 8.25m wont be for another six. Add to that, OEL is presently declining and by the time the team will realistically be able to compete for a cup, his contract will hinder the team more than it will help.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
      sensonfire
      Quoting: Reason
      I wouldn't trade Myers straight up for OEL unless there as huge retention.

I'm not saying Myers is a better player (he's not) but the Canucks are at least 3-4 years away from contending (assuming things go well) and Myers' 6m cap hit will be gone in three years, OEL's 8.25m wont be for another six. Add to that, OEL is presently declining and by the time the team will realistically be able to compete for a cup, his contract will hinder the team more than it will help.

TheAlien implied that the Canucks would be interested if Arizona took Myers and retained on OEL.

I'm taking him at his word.

How much retention exactly would you want on OEL?

Could you come up with a number?
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
      TheAlien implied that the Canucks would be interested if Arizona took Myers and retained on OEL.

I'm taking him at his word.

How much retention exactly would you want on OEL?

Could you come up with a number?

"The Alien" is entitled to his opinion as are you, however I disagree with it here. I'm not saying JB wouldn't consider it, JB is trying to save his job and has made lots of short sighted moves during his time in Vancouver. For me (and im sure a lot of other fans) it didn't make sense last summer and it doesn't make sense now.

I don't want a playoff team, I want a Stanley Cup. OEL gets you closer to the playoffs (for now), but puts you father from a cup going forward (decline/cap space). Even with the addition of OEL the Canucks are not close to being a contender, by the time they may be able to reach contender status OEL's play will be way lower than his contract value. Therefore in my opinion this trade is short sighted and does more harm than good.

If Vancouver was a contender now and you wanted to take Myers straight up with retention on OEL, then it may be worth considering, but their not so its not.
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
      sensonfire
      "The Alien" is entitled to his opinion as are you, however I disagree with it here. I'm not saying JB wouldn't consider it, JB is trying to save his job and has made lots of short sighted moves during his time in Vancouver. For me (and im sure a lot of other fans) it didn't make sense last summer and it doesn't make sense now.

I don't want a playoff team, I want a Stanley Cup. OEL gets you closer to the playoffs (for now), but puts you father from a cup going forward (decline/cap space). Even with the addition of OEL the Canucks are not close to being a contender, by the time they may be able to reach contender status OEL's play will be way lower than his contract value. Therefore in my opinion this trade is short sighted and does more harm than good.

If Vancouver was a contender now and you wanted to take Myers straight up with retention on OEL, then it may be worth considering, but their not so its not.

Never underestimate the odds that JB does something horrifying in the lead up to his downfall as Canucks' GM frown

If he traded for Schmidt, he could definitely trade for OEL.

Based on how the Canucks' season has gone, Schmidt is looking more and more like a cap dump by the day.

Not to mention the loss of a draft pick to take on 5-6 years of him at 5.95 million.

Ouch.

It amazes me how so many people thought JB fleeced Vegas at the time.

See for yourself.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/383400

Always remember that JB comes from the same school of thought as Peter Chiarelli.

He was his Assistant GM in Boston and almost hired him as a "front office adviser" after he was ousted from the Edmonton Oilers.

I'm sure that someday, JB and Pistol Pete will reunite once again and be an awesome duo like they always were smile
      Jun. 20, 2021 at 4:02 p.m.
      Never underestimate the odds that JB does something horrifying in the lead up to his downfall as Canucks' GM frown

If he traded for Schmidt, he could definitely trade for OEL.

Based on how the Canucks' season has gone, Schmidt is looking more and more like a cap dump by the day.

Not to mention the loss of a draft pick to take on 5-6 years of him at 5.95 million.

Ouch.

It amazes me how so many people thought JB fleeced Vegas at the time.

See for yourself.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/383400

Always remember that JB comes from the same school of thought as Peter Chiarelli.

He was his Assistant GM in Boston and almost hired him as a "front office adviser" after he was ousted from the Edmonton Oilers.

I'm sure that someday, JB and Pistol Pete will reunite once again and be an awesome duo like they always were smile

Oh I fully expect JB to make some bad short sighted moves this off season, you and I definitely agree on that!
      sensonfire liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll