Forums/Armchair-GM

Poile rules

Created by: Bradolz
Team: 2021-22 Nashville Predators
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 2, 2021
Published: Jul. 2, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's what I think will happen, not necessarily what I'd like to see happen. Poile is too late in his career to blow it up and rebuild. If the Preds go into full rebuild mode, I really hope it's with a new GM that can see it through. Plus, I think a rebuild seals our fate with losing Fil as a UFA.

Poile got what he could for Arvidsson (not a lot), but I think it opens up an opportunity to load up top line. Poile is not gonna be able to move Johansen or Duchene contracts, nor do I think he should, so I believe he'll give them the best opportunity to succeed.

Poile will stand pat with a solid D-core, which gives Farrance a chance to develop in the AHL before coming up. I could see Ekholm re-signing a relatively team friendly deal. Having a guy like him around will be super valuable for young guys to develop, moreso than whatever we could fetch at a deadline deal.

I think Poile will follow through with his supposed youth movement that he has ever so slowly implemented. Giving a Tomasino a protected 3rd line role with some vets and keeping together a 4th line that came together last season.

Which leads me to the expansion draft.. I believe Poile will deal with Seattle to ensure key vets are kept around to insulate young guys (Tolvy, Kunin, Tomasino, etc.). I don't think he'll want to lose Cousins or Jarnkrok and with emergence of Olivier and Jeannot, Yakov Trenin becomes expendable. His stay in Nashville seems tenuous anyway with the threat of leaving for KHL. That is certainly a deal that would need to be sweetened. I could see Poile adding Connor Ingram and a 3rd Rd pick in order to select Trenin. Don't sleep on Ingram, he had a stellar season a year ago, hopefully he's doing better after entering Player Assistance.

This doesn't leave a ton of room for UFA, but Granlund definitely earned a decent contract and he seems to be fitting in in Nashville finally. I think Pekka will come back for one more year before hanging 'em up, so he can watch Juice take the torch and run with it (hopefully). Little bit of cap space left for depth guys that Poile will undoubtedly add.

No real big swings from Poile this off-season after the Arvy trade, just another middling team and a first round exit. At least we should see a few young guys come into their own.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
5$4,500,000
2$3,000,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,250,000
1$1,500,000
1$800,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
NSH
SEA
  1. Ingram, Connor
  2. Trenin, Yakov
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Protect:
D - - Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Carrier, Fabbro
O - - Forsberg, Kunin, Johansen
G - - Saros
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$74,787,809$0$0$6,712,191
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,857,143$2,857,143
C, RW
UFA - 5
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,059,000$9,059,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$733,333$733,333
RD
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
Out of curiosity, what would you thinkt about exposing Johansen and Duchene and protect another useful player who is on a more team friendly deal? I agree that the Preds will go the 8-1 route in the ED.
Bradolz liked this.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: Luke_xiv
Out of curiosity, what would you thinkt about exposing Johansen and Duchene and protect another useful player who is on a more team friendly deal? I agree that the Preds will go the 8-1 route in the ED.

I'm not as low on those guys as most people. Honestly, I think Seattle would seriously consider either of those guys. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johansen could end up out there since he's a BC guy. He's not super productive, but he'd definitely be one of the best centers available and he'd help Seattle get to the cap minimum lol. Honestly, I think Seattle would be pretty lucky to get either one of 'em. If Nashville does let either guy go, it spells full rebuild and I just don't think that's the route they would or should go. My two cents. No guarantee that full rebuilds result in getting a generational talent like Wright and Bedard are supposed to be. It's simply too costly to be at the bottom of the league.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
AA21
I cant see any team offering more than a 2nd and 3rd for Arvidsson, happy with that deal.

Tomasino will be in, Granlund will be back

Grimaldi needs to be flipped for a mid to late pick, it will open up another 2mil

I dont mind losing Trenin, but I'd rather lose Cousins/Grimaldi if they are incorporating picks in the selection process
Bradolz liked this.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: Bradolz
I'm not as low on those guys as most people. Honestly, I think Seattle would seriously consider either of those guys. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johansen could end up out there since he's a BC guy. He's not super productive, but he'd definitely be one of the best centers available and he'd help Seattle get to the cap minimum lol. Honestly, I think Seattle would be pretty lucky to get either one of 'em. If Nashville does let either guy go, it spells full rebuild and I just don't think that's the route they would or should go. My two cents. No guarantee that full rebuilds result in getting a generational talent like Wright and Bedard are supposed to be. It's simply too costly to be at the bottom of the league.

Makes sense and I definitely see your pont here. I'm trying not to be too low on them either, but I think if you'd offer them both by exposing them it'd be even more intreaguing for Seattle to take one of them, since they have the choice. For the Preds getting rid of either one of them (imo preferably Johansen b/c I think overall Duchene is the better player with still more upside) means cap space in order to bring in FAs on better deals.
Bradolz liked this.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: AnalyticalGM
I cant see any team offering more than a 2nd and 3rd for Arvidsson, happy with that deal.

Tomasino will be in, Granlund will be back

Grimaldi needs to be flipped for a mid to late pick, it will open up another 2mil

I dont mind losing Trenin, but I'd rather lose Cousins/Grimaldi if they are incorporating picks in the selection process

As far as Trenin, I think it's a situation where he may request being exposed for a better opportunity. I think Poile would rather keep the vets around. That's my opinion of what Poile will do. It'd be nice getting assets for the fringe guys, but I think he'll keep the depth. I highly doubt Tomasino plays 82. He'll get eased in this year, add injury replacements to that and I think we'll be happy to have the depth.
AnalyticalGM liked this.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Makes sense and I definitely see your pont here. I'm trying not to be too low on them either, but I think if you'd offer them both by exposing them it'd be even more intreaguing for Seattle to take one of them, since they have the choice. For the Preds getting rid of either one of them (imo preferably Johansen b/c I think overall Duchene is the better player with still more upside) means cap space in order to bring in FAs on better deals.

I hear ya. I wouldn't be too upset moving on without one of those two contracts. I just don't think an NHL GM leaves that decision up to chance. I'm sure they have a preference as to who they move forward with if it's not both of them. Essentially, Poile will not let another franchise decide our future. That's my logic anyways.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Bradolz
I hear ya. I wouldn't be too upset moving on without one of those two contracts. I just don't think an NHL GM leaves that decision up to chance. I'm sure they have a preference as to who they move forward with if it's not both of them. Essentially, Poile will not let another franchise decide our future. That's my logic anyways.

OMG excuse my writing ("intreaguing"? what was I thinking?). grin grin

I guess you're right on the subject matter. If they have a favorite they'll protect him (although I'd go for Duchene, I think it'd be Johansen) and try to dangle the other one as an unprotected carot in front of Seattle.
Bradolz liked this.
Jul. 2, 2021 at 1:54 p.m.
Go Preds

I could definitely see this happening. I think I'd protect Forsberg, Kunin, and Trenin personally. Leave the aging forwards who have underperformed the last couple of years available to be picked. If Seattle happens to give you $8M in cap space, take full advantage of it.

Unfortunately, I also agree with the summary. Poile wants a cup too badly to tear it down, even though that's what this team probably needs. It won't happen until he retires.
Bradolz liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll