Forums/Armchair-GM

Cap Relief

Created by: mh61
Team: 2021-22 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2021
Published: Jul. 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Heading into the offseason the Bolts are ~3.5M over the Cap and with Brayden Point's contract expiring after next season which will result in him getting a raise of approx 3-4M the Bolts are in desperate need to shed Contracts to be viable going forward.

Unfortunately this means they will likely lose/move well established NHLers for less than their value or for prospects and picks. My prediction is that Palat ends up in Seattle Via the expansion draft, Johnson is moved for pennies on the dollar and they choose to move on from McDonagh for prospects and picks because of Sergachev's growth and ability to now replace him.

On the bright side the Bolts have a wealth of high draft picks including, Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk and Cal Foote, who have not had a chance to play yet given the strength of the Lightening line up over the past 4 years and this will be their year to prove themselves with more roster spots open than at any point since they were drafted.

I do not expect them to be too busy in Free Agency, they will sign a new backup with McElhinney being 38 and a UFA, and they may try to resign one of Goodrow or Coleman if possible but the Cap Situation may prevent this.

Next year the Bolts will look a little different but the majority of the core players will remain and I expect them to remain a very competitive team. This scenario leaves them 2.5M in cap next year and will provide additional relief to about 6M for next offseason when they need to resign Point.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
2$800,000
2$750,000
2$1,500,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$800,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
1$1,750,000
Trades
TBL
    Expansion
    TBL
    1. 2021 5th round pick (SEA)
    Additional Details:
    To Any Team that Wants to Take Him Not Necessarily the Kraken but they will have the Space and they will need talent
    TBL
    1. Niku, Sami
    2. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
    4. 2022 3rd round pick (WPG)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$79,111,788$145,122$0$2,388,212

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
    $5,166,666$5,166,666
    C, LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $850,000$850,000
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $737,500$737,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $737,500$737,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,950,000$2,950,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    An American living in Florida on a two time Cup winner waives his NTC for Winnipeg?
    Johnson is not worth his 5m X 3 years. He's virtually untradeable.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
    Yea if there is anyway that McDonough is moving, I want him here in Buffalo. But I'm sure thats a longshot
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
    Wow!! This is one of the most outlandish trades that I've seen here yet. You expect Winnipeg to give up two d-men prospects (one who is going to be outstanding), AND add two meaningful draft picks to take on an aging defender whose skills are diminishing quickly and is earning $6.75M a year for the next 5 years? Whoooo!!! Everyone in Winnipeg would lose their jobs the day that trade happens.

On top of all that, McDonagh controls his destiny, and his destiny's destination is most certainly not Winnipeg.
    Windjammer liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:19 a.m.
    Edited Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    An American living in Florida on a two time Cup winner waives his NTC for Winnipeg?
    Johnson is not worth his 5m X 3 years. He's virtually untradeable.

Does not have to be to Winnipeg, Chicago also has the defensive prospects to make a deal. Also, McDonagh is from St. Paul Minnesota, so Winnipeg would take him close to home and that is something a lot of players want near the later parts of their careers (see Duncan Keith).

And you are right Johnsons value is diminished but he's also been lost in the most stacked roster in the league for a few years now a team like Seattle who will have the cap space for a few years would probably take a flyer on the guy if it only costs a 5th, 6th or 7th pick in the hopes that he can revitalize his career, see Sam Bennett in FLA
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
    I agree with the others here. As nice as McDonagh would be for a year or two, there is no chance Winnipeg gives up a good young defenseman plus picks and gets stuck with McDonagh's full cap hit without some serious compensation added to McDonagh.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
    The WPG trade doesn’t make sense. Teams aren’t going to give up packages for somebody like McD. Everybody knows Tampa’s situation and essentially they just need to move contracts to keep the core intact now and in the future.

They’re going to sell at low rates. McD might fetch a couple of mid picks from a contending team with space. TJ is going to need to be packaged with a high pick with practically nothing going back.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:39 a.m.
    Why do you leave Palat unprotected?
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
    Quoting: Jim_Benning_Almost
    Wow!! This is one of the most outlandish trades that I've seen here yet. You expect Winnipeg to give up two d-men prospects (one who is going to be outstanding), AND add two meaningful draft picks to take on an aging defender whose skills are diminishing quickly and is earning $6.75M a year for the next 5 years? Whoooo!!! Everyone in Winnipeg would lose their jobs the day that trade happens.

On top of all that, McDonagh controls his destiny, and his destiny's destination is most certainly not Winnipeg.

Like I said to another comment about McDonagh it Does not have to be to Winnipeg, Chicago also has the defensive prospects to make a deal. But, McDonagh is from St. Paul Minnesota, so Winnipeg would take him close to home and that is something a lot of older players want (see Duncan Keith).

Also I would argue that Niku is not really a A or B prospect, I would call him a C prospect at best, Winnipeg completely restructured their Back end this year and he still could not find an every day role on the Team. He was a 7th round pick 6 years ago and will be 25 years old by the time next season starts and I think his ceiling may be a bottom pair d-man. In all I would say Niku's value is minimal at best right now and he wouldn't be an integral part of the trade.

Secondly, I don't know if you can call a guy who's averaged 24min a night over two cup winning runs in the past two years diminishing. He was never the greatest or fastest skater, he was always solid positionally and added tons of value in his own end while chipping in around 0.5ppg with NYR and his first year in TB, and we've seen multiple examples of how slowly elite d-men of this archetype can age (Chara, Weber, Edler (to a lesser degree)). Yes his point production may have fallen off with TB the past few years but he's been asked to play a different role, one that is more defensively oriented but he has still excelled. I think if he goes to a different situation where the expectations of him are different he could revert back to closer to 0.5ppg that he was averaging up until 2 years ago.

Now onto Stanley, who you say is going to be outstanding, yes he could be, but he also could just be an average every day NHL defenseman. He is 23 heading into next season and is coming off a season where he averaged 13min of ice a night and put up 4pts across 37 games and 3pts across 8 playoff games where he averaged 14min a night. He has never really been a huge point producer on the back end during any part of his career so far. He has elite size but that's really all we know about him, will he turn into a Chara? likely not. Could he be another Oleksiak where he plays 18-20min a night and puts up around 20 points a year, I'd say that's the minimum that the Jets are hoping for. Could he be an Erik Cernak type, playing ~20min a night putting up around 30pts a season yeah potentially. Could he be somewhere in between the 3 of these? I'd say that's likely, but I wouldn't say he's for sure going to be an outstanding D-man.

If your problem with the deal is you think its too much for McDonagh then feel free to take out Niku or the 3rd round pick but I honestly do not believe the trade is that far fetched when you look at all the factors including Winnipeg's needs on the back end, and the potential that McDonagh may find being on a competitive team that is only a 7h drive from his family home in St. Paul attractive at this point in his career.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    Why do you leave Palat unprotected?

Need to free cap space, chose to protect,
    Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Killorn, Gourde, Cirelli and Joseph (because of his age and low cap number)
    McDonagh, Hedman and Sergachev
    Vasily

Makes Palat and Johnson the odd men out.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 11:05 a.m.
    Quoting: mh61
    Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Killorn, Gourde, Cirelli and Joseph (because of his age and low cap number)
    Vasily

Trade Palat for a pick and get something in return instead of losing him for nothing.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 11:08 a.m.
    Vasily

I have two options for TB

7/3/1: (McDonagh)
    Kucherov, Nikita 27
    Stamkos, Steven 31
    Point, Brayden 25
    Palat, Ondrej 30
    Gourde, Yanni 29
    Cirelli, Anthony 23
    Joseph, Mathieu 24
    Hedman, Victor 30
    Sergachev, Mikhail 22
    Cernak, Erik 23
    Vasilevskiy, Andrei 26

or

4/4/1: (Gourde)
    Kucherov, Nikita 27
    Stamkos, Steven 31
    Point, Brayden 25
    Cirelli, Anthony 23
    Hedman, Victor 30
    Sergachev, Mikhail 22
    Cernak, Erik 23
    Vasilevskiy, Andrei 26
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    Trade Palat for a pick and get something in return instead of losing him for nothing.

Trades will be hard to come by before the expansion draft because teams won't want to acquire someone that would prevent them from protecting their own players, at the end of the day every team in the league is going to lose something for nothing you just have to deal with it.
    Jul. 8, 2021 at 7:13 p.m.
    Like I said to another comment about McDonagh it Does not have to be to Winnipeg, Chicago also has the defensive prospects to make a deal. But, McDonagh is from St. Paul Minnesota, so Winnipeg would take him close to home and that is something a lot of older players want (see Duncan Keith).

Also I would argue that Niku is not really a A or B prospect, I would call him a C prospect at best, Winnipeg completely restructured their Back end this year and he still could not find an every day role on the Team. He was a 7th round pick 6 years ago and will be 25 years old by the time next season starts and I think his ceiling may be a bottom pair d-man. In all I would say Niku's value is minimal at best right now and he wouldn't be an integral part of the trade.

Secondly, I don't know if you can call a guy who's averaged 24min a night over two cup winning runs in the past two years diminishing. He was never the greatest or fastest skater, he was always solid positionally and added tons of value in his own end while chipping in around 0.5ppg with NYR and his first year in TB, and we've seen multiple examples of how slowly elite d-men of this archetype can age (Chara, Weber, Edler (to a lesser degree)). Yes his point production may have fallen off with TB the past few years but he's been asked to play a different role, one that is more defensively oriented but he has still excelled. I think if he goes to a different situation where the expectations of him are different he could revert back to closer to 0.5ppg that he was averaging up until 2 years ago.

Now onto Stanley, who you say is going to be outstanding, yes he could be, but he also could just be an average every day NHL defenseman. He is 23 heading into next season and is coming off a season where he averaged 13min of ice a night and put up 4pts across 37 games and 3pts across 8 playoff games where he averaged 14min a night. He has never really been a huge point producer on the back end during any part of his career so far. He has elite size but that's really all we know about him, will he turn into a Chara? likely not. Could he be another Oleksiak where he plays 18-20min a night and puts up around 20 points a year, I'd say that's the minimum that the Jets are hoping for. Could he be an Erik Cernak type, playing ~20min a night putting up around 30pts a season yeah potentially. Could he be somewhere in between the 3 of these? I'd say that's likely, but I wouldn't say he's for sure going to be an outstanding D-man.

If your problem with the deal is you think its too much for McDonagh then feel free to take out Niku or the 3rd round pick but I honestly do not believe the trade is that far fetched when you look at all the factors including Winnipeg's needs on the back end, and the potential that McDonagh may find being on a competitive team that is only a 7h drive from his family home in St. Paul attractive at this point in his career.

I'm not misunderstanding your reasonings as to why you put this deal together, I'm simply saying it is a fantastically terrible hockey deal for Winnipeg (or any other team you're suggesting should give up this type of a haul for RM). McDonagh has been a great defenceman, but his best days are clearly behind him. Back to back 12 point seasons (19.7 points over an 82 game season), down from his previously normal production of mid 30s to mid 40s over 82 games. He's still a rock solid top 4 guy for he next 2-3 years as well, but he's paid $6.75M per season for 5 more years and that is a significant overpay for the guy you're getting now.

This is all great, BUT it doesn't fit well into a flat salary cap reality. Logan Stanley just turned 23, and is a big 6'6" strong d-man projecting on the upswing in his career and likely carries a cap hit south of $3M for the next 3- 5 years (probably around $1M next year) until you really know what you have in this player. Winnipeg would turn down a McDonagh for Stanley straight up trade, let alone adding two meaningful draft picks (2nd and 3rd), and another prospect (B or C in your opinion, he still has played NHL games).

I believe that McDonagh's contract is almost unmovable at this point, unless Seattle decides they want a mentor for their younger players. Tampa may have to bribe Seattle to take him.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll