Forums/Armchair-GM

Zucker now Tara at TDL

Created by: vikhodush
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 10, 2021
Published: Aug. 10, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
PIT seems to have been looking at moving Zucker this summer but wasn't able to do it. He had a rough year last year and has a substantial cap hit so maybe this offer does it. Gives them some more cap space and a couple of good futures.

Tara deal happens at TDL and only if he proves he's healthy through first half of season. Not sure about value here but I'd imagine this is fair if he proves he's healthy and effective even if he has taken a small step back. Feel free to provide counters given these assumptions.

Next year starts getting tight but I think they can make it work - between Necas, Troch, Bear they'll probably need to find an extra 7Mish. Nino coming off plus potentially letting Cole go gets you there, and cap seems like it'll raise by 1M next year too so they should be able to make it work.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$6,750,000
2$850,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Zucker, Jason ($1,000,000 retained)
PIT
  1. Ponomarev, Vasili
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Not sure about value - Zucker had a bad year and has a sizeable cap hit. Seems like Pens have been trying to move him but have had a tough time. This clears space for them and gives them a pick in a deep draft and a B prospect.
CAR
  1. Tarasenko, Vladimir ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Done at TDL after Tara proves he's healthy
STL
  1. Fast, Jesper
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Assuming he's healthy, value goes back up.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,473,583$0$537,500$4,026,417

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 10, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
Pens are the best
Maybe a Nino for Zucker swap? I dont think PIT is worried about space right now. More like we didn't take the chance on players we shouldve.
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: Imagine875948
Maybe a Nino for Zucker swap? I dont think PIT is worried about space right now. More like we didn't take the chance on players we shouldve.

I've heard offers like this quite a bit and I think it's doable but the Pens would have to add imo - Nino coming off a great year and just one year left at a high cap hit whereas Zucker coming off a bad year with some injuries with 2 years of a big cap hit.

Canes don't really need to move Nino though so bringing Zucker in would just help improve that third line which would be pretty tough to play against with Staal Nino and Zucker. I've heard Canes fan say we should move Nino now since we likely won't re-sign him but I don't get that argument. They have the cap space this year and he makes their team better. A trade likely won't bring that much of an upgrade over him and more likely we'd get some kind of futures which doesn't make sense either. Biggest knock on this team last year was depth scoring.
Imagine875948 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 3:57 p.m.
Pens are the best
Quoting: vikhodush
I've heard offers like this quite a bit and I think it's doable but the Pens would have to add imo - Nino coming off a great year and just one year left at a high cap hit whereas Zucker coming off a bad year with some injuries with 2 years of a big cap hit.

Canes don't really need to move Nino though so bringing Zucker in would just help improve that third line which would be pretty tough to play against with Staal Nino and Zucker. I've heard Canes fan say we should move Nino now since we likely won't re-sign him but I don't get that argument. They have the cap space this year and he makes their team better. A trade likely won't bring that much of an upgrade over him and more likely we'd get some kind of futures which doesn't make sense either. Biggest knock on this team last year was depth scoring.

Zucker had a bad year, but I would blame him. The year that we traded for him he was doing great. Then the whole covid thing happened. It changed the play of alot of players. And I would say that Malkin brought him down a little. I thinks it's very possible for a rebound season. And with Suzuki coming in soon, he could slot down in that bottom 6.
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Pens are the best

Another point is like you said, our window. If the canes window closes earlier than expected, you'll want a 2-3 year Zucker because then you have him locked up for playoff runs. Theres always a chance that Nino walks in FA and does get traded. I think if he doesn't want to resign or the canes dont think they'll resign him, is to get a guy luke Zucker who has more leverage and dont have to worry about his contract for another 2 years.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
mokumboi
Fast won't be of much interest to the Blues. And if Tarasenko is back to his old self, this ain't gonna cut it. The Blues aren't in a rebuild.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Fast won't be of much interest to the Blues. And if Tarasenko is back to his old self, this ain't gonna cut it. The Blues aren't in a rebuild.

Yeah Fast was more just moving somebody out but understand that's probably not too interesting to Blues, should've thought that piece through more.

What offer would you be looking for in that scenario? I get the Blues aren't in a rebuild - but seems like Tara and the team want to go their separate ways at some point in the near future. My thought is it would be easier for the Blues to get assets for Tara and then turn around and use them + whatever else is needed to get another impact player and to use that cap space it frees up differently. I don't see too many situations where a true "hockey" trade is in the cards with Tara.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 4:47 p.m.
mokumboi
Yeah Fast was more just moving somebody out but understand that's probably not too interesting to Blues, should've thought that piece through more.

What offer would you be looking for in that scenario? I get the Blues aren't in a rebuild - but seems like Tara and the team want to go their separate ways at some point in the near future. My thought is it would be easier for the Blues to get assets for Tara and then turn around and use them + whatever else is needed to get another impact player and to use that cap space it frees up differently. I don't see too many situations where a true "hockey" trade is in the cards with Tara.

Perhaps Suzuki?

But I do think you underestimate how much teams would be willing to hockey trade for a Tarasenko back on his grind.
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Perhaps Suzuki?

But I do think you underestimate how much teams would be willing to hockey trade for a Tarasenko back on his grind.

I could part with Suzuki as part of a deal for a healthy / effective Tara.

Maybe that's true - I just think hockey trades are tougher mid-season. Would think that only contenders are wanting to take on a piece like Tara and they likely wouldn't want to give up a core piece in doing that if they have the cap space to take him on without doing that. But I guess it's a similar perspective for the Blues, so maybe a trade next offseason makes more sense unless they're willing to take an underwhelming return before this season starts due to risk which it doesn't seem like Armstrong is willing to do.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
I know this messes up the Tarasenko trade but what do you think of Fast and RFA rights to Lajoie for Zucker with the $1 mil retention?
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiHead11
I know this messes up the Tarasenko trade but what do you think of Fast and RFA rights to Lajoie for Zucker with the $1 mil retention?

I like it - think Canes would go for it. Fast is good but he's replaceable and wouldn't mind seeing some of our kids get a shot which he is kind of blocking. Don't think Fast is a big piece of the Tara trade anyways.
SpaghettiHead11 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
I like it - think Canes would go for it. Fast is good but he's replaceable and wouldn't mind seeing some of our kids get a shot which he is kind of blocking. Don't think Fast is a big piece of the Tara trade anyways.

I think Fast would fill a void given PIT's depth at RW. I could see a line of Carter, Fast and Zahorna. I'll have my people call your people. lol
vikhodush liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll