Forums/Armchair-GM

Girard

Created by: Hammerwise
Team: 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 11, 2021
Published: Nov. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Probably not enough, but Sanheim is bigger, more stay at home, less offensive just a few years older. Thinking that hes more of what COL needs, and Girard (who is an undersized puck rusher, not a 40+ pt dman yet) is more of what PHI needs.

Girard has had 20, 27, 34 pts in first 3 seasons (and 32 in shortened season), but he has quick speed and might make a better number 3 than ristolinen or sanheim in PHILLY and can play LD/RD which might make PHIs choices in offseason easier when RD Risto and RD Braun are UFAs.
Sanheim is much bigger (5 inches taller) and is closer to a 20-30pt guy, who is more a two way dman and just 2 yrs older than Girard, on a shorter deal. He has also played right side, and maybe a better fit in COL than Girard.

O'Brien, a former 1st rounder, has been horribly advised in his young career, but put up 16 pts in 16 games last yr at BU in his rookie season and has all the tools, albeit a yr or 2 older than he should be at 22.

The first looks mid round in a deep draft.

NJD could use a dependable vet, have the cap space and would have jumped at this deal last year, when Johnsson was struggling. JVR has no injury history and same length of contract as Johnson, but hes almost a lock for 20-30 goals and is a big body on PP. Is Johnsson what PHI needs? No, but he fills a LW spot. Im thinking JVR is a better vet to play with NJ youngsters.

Ottawa could also be a good destination for JVR.
Trades
COL
  1. O'Brien, Jay [Reserve List]
  2. Sanheim, Travis
  3. 2022 1st round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. 2022 4th round pick (NYI)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$68,522,095$0$600,000$12,977,905
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$412,500$412,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
C
RFA - 1
$1,075,000$1,075,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 6
$3,979,000$3,979,000
G
RFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 11, 2021 at 5:30 a.m.
Billy739
I'd say you're trading a better overall D for a faster D at a similar level
Both are struggling to the same degree with same production but Sanheims got a better deal

It seems like you take Sanheim out and this deal makes more sense
Hammerwise liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 5:35 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
Both are struggling to the same degree with same production but Sanheims got a better deal

Possibly too much from PHI, but both teams are competing now and not necessarily just in for futures. Both still carry value to moved elsewhere, but ultimately its about team fit and they both might fit better and benefit from the new location.

Also about cap space, PHI would have to do the JVR deal for nothing back and already have Provorov, Sanheim, Yandle playing well at LD.
Billy739 liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 6:35 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Hammerwise
Possibly too much from PHI, but both teams are competing now and not necessarily just in for futures. Both still carry value to moved elsewhere, but ultimately its about team fit and they both might fit better and benefit from the new location.

Also about cap space, PHI would have to do the JVR deal for nothing back and already have Provorov, Sanheim, Yandle playing well at LD.

I agree with what you're saying
I just think looking at my Team if a Sanheim was on the market they'd pay for him
Sanheim in MTL could be top guy beside Petry
This will allow Pressure to come off Savard and also allow Chiarot to shoot more giving us a big slap shot from the point again(currently he's been playmaking for Petry and its not worked)
It also gives Romanov-Niku better match ups

That's just MTL
A player like Sanheim hasnt lost as much value as Gostisbhere did for the same reason Girard hasnt
Theyre both good overall players in systems that have outgrown them as simple as that.
It happened to us with Mark Streit back in the day as he broke out then left us due to a limit role being offered as the system out grew him

Im not saying you'll get a kings ransome but something that works for both teams
A TDL deal wouldnt see a 1st and a prospect out of the question as long as its a late one from a contender

I mean if he was a RD under 25 maybe it would make more sense
But COL has LD depth and Quality LD depth at that which is why Girards expendable
Thats where this becomes a lateral move instead of acquiring them a forward they want.(that said they did want one NHL ready but last i seen Obrien was thriving in NCAA maybe he'll be ready sooner than later)
Hammerwise liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 7:13 a.m.
retired

sanheim has the better deal? he's only under contract for 2 years. girard's locked up until 2027. not sure where youre coming from there.
Billy739 liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 7:25 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: DirtyDangle
sanheim has the better deal? he's only under contract for 2 years. girard's locked up until 2027. not sure where youre coming from there.

As i said , Sanheim has the better deal
Last thing anyone wants is a player like Girard on that Term
That's the term a team trying to hold its roster together gives a star player
Before his numbers start dipping as newer better prospects emerge pushing him out

I'll take Sanheims deal over Girard's 10/10
Sanheim is he keeps declining offensively is still worth keeping if paying him less is on the table
Girard that's a buyout only situation if he keeps declining
Nov. 11, 2021 at 7:46 a.m.
retired
As i said , Sanheim has the better deal
Last thing anyone wants is a player like Girard on that Term
That's the term a team trying to hold its roster together gives a star player
Before his numbers start dipping as newer better prospects emerge pushing him out

I'll take Sanheims deal over Girard's 10/10
Sanheim is he keeps declining offensively is still worth keeping if paying him less is on the table
Girard that's a buyout only situation if he keeps declining

girard is a star and his contract is amazing. it's a contract a gm like sakic makes. he's getting pushed down by byram but as it turns out byram is an absolute stud. that's not a knock against girard, even if girard is off to a slow start.

habs can't go wrong with either sanheim or girard. both would be the best defenseman they have, which they desperately need.
Hammerwise and DH28Hockey liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 7:55 a.m.
girard is a star and his contract is amazing. it's a contract a gm like sakic makes. he's getting pushed down by byram but as it turns out byram is an absolute stud. that's not a knock against girard, even if girard is off to a slow start.

habs can't go wrong with either sanheim or girard. both would be the best defenseman they have, which they desperately need.

Its tough because Philly is in good shape, and have both cam york and zamula at LD in pipeline, but it might be one of the few positions/players PHI could upgrade. It would have to be someone similar in sanheim's age and probably signed long term for similar or less. Girard can play rd/ld and is quicker, but theres nothing to really say he isnt Shayne Gotisbehere II.

I can;t see a deal with MTL because I dont see a LD of that description. PHI is close now so a prospect or youngster like romanov or an older UFA like Chariat doesn;t fit the bill.

PHI has Risto, Braun and Yandle as UFAs, so I cant see them adding another UFA dman, but an acqusition of Girard gives them speed they dont have (until york arrives) and girard could play RD, which means in the offseason they could get a rather non-frills 2LD (like Chariot).

I agree that maybe sanheim and a bit more might equal Girard, but think sanheim is overpaid for 2 years by 400-500k and girard might become underpaid with another season like last year
Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:04 a.m.
retired
Its tough because Philly is in good shape, and have both cam york and zamula at LD in pipeline, but it might be one of the few positions/players PHI could upgrade. It would have to be someone similar in sanheim's age and probably signed long term for similar or less. Girard can play rd/ld and is quicker, but theres nothing to really say he isnt Shayne Gotisbehere II.

I can;t see a deal with MTL because I dont see a LD of that description. PHI is close now so a prospect or youngster like romanov or an older UFA like Chariat doesn;t fit the bill.

PHI has Risto, Braun and Yandle as UFAs, so I cant see them adding another UFA dman, but an acqusition of Girard gives them speed they dont have (until york arrives) and girard could play RD, which means in the offseason they could get a rather non-frills 2LD (like Chariot).

I agree that maybe sanheim and a bit more might equal Girard, but think sanheim is overpaid for 2 years by 400-500k and girard might become underpaid with another season like last year

baring injury girard is a lock to be a top 4 for a long time. he's skating is elite, he's great with his stick, and is defensively aware. the only knock against him is his size.

a phi/col trade doesn't make sense unless philly is trading a young winger with term. avs don't need another d back. they are stacked at the nhl level and in d prospects.

mtl would be a better trade partner. they could eat jvr's contract and offer ld prospect back so phi can replace sanheim in the long run. an experience backup in allen so phi doesn't have to gamble on hart or jones. or maybe someone like dvorak so philly is deep at center.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:11 a.m.
Danny Mr. GM Briere
Edited Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:17 a.m.
is Girard really that expendable? lol

the two players are almost polar opposites, Girard is a prolific skater while Sanheim falls every three seconds... but im getting Ghost flashbacks as we speak

also if we were to trade JVR it would either be at the deadline or draft and it would be for a draft pick or a 2022 UFA, and the only reason he'd be shipped out would be for cap space for G and Risto... i have never liked him as a third liner because that's what we did with him before and it didnt work, then we gave him more valuable offensive mins and he started producing
Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:17 a.m.
Daddy
baring injury girard is a lock to be a top 4 for a long time. he's skating is elite, he's great with his stick, and is defensively aware. the only knock against him is his size.

a phi/col trade doesn't make sense unless philly is trading a young winger with term. avs don't need another d back. they are stacked at the nhl level and in d prospects.

mtl would be a better trade partner. they could eat jvr's contract and offer ld prospect back so phi can replace sanheim in the long run. an experience backup in allen so phi doesn't have to gamble on hart or jones. of maybe someone like dvorak so philly is deep at center.

Thank god there is a voice of reason here, claiming Girard is a buyout threat and that nobody wants him on that term is flat out ridiculous and the worst take I've seen on this site. He was super solid all of last year, like really really good. Has he had a tough start this year? Like that's a tough start not him declining, such a small sample size to claim a 23 year old who has been producing at a 1LD rate for the past 2 years is "declining", such recency bias lol.

No shot Girard is the next Shayne Ghostibere, he has been very good defensively despite his size for his career. Other then that though I'm in agreement with what you're saying.
Hammerwise and DirtyDangle liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
Daddy
Quoting: Sicksi
is Girard really that expendable? lol

the two players are almost polar opposites, Girard is a prolific skater while Sanheim falls every three seconds... but im getting Ghost flashbacks as we speak

also if we were to trade JVR it would either be at the deadline or draft and it would be for a draft pick or a 2022 UFA, and the only reason he'd be shipped out would be for cap space for G and Risto... i have never liked him as a third liner because that's what we did with him before and it didnt work, then we gave him more valuable offensive mins and he started producing

He's had a tough start it appears, he's not bad, he's quite good and on a great contract this site is just full of recency bias. He's been good defensively the past couple years, he's struggling, he's no Ghost tho.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 4:12 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Johnsson has been playing better than JVR this year so Devils decline

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll