Forums/Armchair-GM

TDL -Giroux

Created by: vikhodush
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 17, 2022
Published: Feb. 17, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Honestly not sure what the market for Giroux is but throwing this out there to get feedback. I think Canes need a top 6 F to be a legit contender. To me, F depth and scoring are a bigger pain point than blue line depth so if I had to choose I'd address scoring. If Canes decide to make a move it should be for a legit top 6 guy like Giroux, Hertl, Miller, etc. I'd rather they stand pat than grab a bottom 6 F.

I know I'm over cap but can throw a pick at a third team to retain more salary to fit Giroux in.
Trades
CAR
  1. Giroux, Claude ($4,125,000 retained)
PHI
  1. Bokk, Dominik
  2. Lorentz, Steven
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (CAR)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Send a pick to another team to eat some of cap if necessary
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,405,285$0$1,037,500$3,094,715

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 3
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$12,500$12,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,035$6,100,035
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 17, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
bang bang
Bokk is floating on bust and Lorentz is a depth player. pretty terrible package
Feb. 17, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: buchnevichh
Bokk is floating on bust and Lorentz is a depth player. pretty terrible package

Which is why I opened with - not sure what the market or offer would be for Giroux. Propose a fair offer if you think this one is terrible, trying to understand what realistic looks like for somebody like Giroux.

I get he's a great add but we're also talking about a short term rental, high AAV (which is going to drive down his value b/c of flat cap and how many true contenders can afford him), NMC (again driving down value theoretically because he's probably only willing to go to a few teams so Philly has less leverage).

Not disagreeing that this might not be enough to get him but what would be fair given his circumstances?
Feb. 17, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
I think the easiest way to get Giroux would be to do something like Heimosalmi, Lafontaine, and a 2nd. 2 B tier prospects, and a 2nd should be enough to get Giroux. Then you pay whatever to get a team to eat half his deal.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
I think the easiest way to get Giroux would be to do something like Heimosalmi, Lafontaine, and a 2nd. 2 B tier prospects, and a 2nd should be enough to get Giroux. Then you pay whatever to get a team to eat half his deal.

If that's what it took I'd be happy with that I think - I've always been higher on Kotchetkov than Lafontaine personally anyways. I just think we're potentially one top 6 piece away from being comfortable as a contender this year. I thought Necas would take that next step this year but he's still too inconsistent to bank on. Jarvis has been a nice overall surprise but I think he's a year away before we can trust him to be an impact player in the playoffs.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
If that's what it took I'd be happy with that I think - I've always been higher on Kotchetkov than Lafontaine personally anyways. I just think we're potentially one top 6 piece away from being comfortable as a contender this year. I thought Necas would take that next step this year but he's still too inconsistent to bank on. Jarvis has been a nice overall surprise but I think he's a year away before we can trust him to be an impact player in the playoffs.

Jarvis is an unknown in the playoffs, and Necas is a top 6 player. He's just gone bone dry. He'll get back to scoring because he's too talented not to.

I actually think ideally it should be a 2nd line LWer, not a RWer like Giroux. That way you can move Teuvo back to his preferred spot on the right wing of Aho, with Svechnikov. Something like;

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
??? - Trocheck - Necas
Niederreiter - Staal - Fast
Lorentz - Kotkaniemi - Jarvis

(Jarvis on the 4th because KK can score and he's gone dry too)
Davioparker liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Jarvis is an unknown in the playoffs, and Necas is a top 6 player. He's just gone bone dry. He'll get back to scoring because he's too talented not to.

I actually think ideally it should be a 2nd line LWer, not a RWer like Giroux. That way you can move Teuvo back to his preferred spot on the right wing of Aho, with Svechnikov. Something like;

??? - Trocheck - Necas

Agree on Jarvis - I just hesitate to take the optimistic route on him being an impact player in the playoffs this year. Agree generally on Necas, he's def a top 6 guy - I just expected more consistent play out of him so far this season outside of purely putting points up even. I do think he'll bounce back and that he'll perform well though.

Giroux is a natural righty but prefers LW to RW supposedly (read an article in Athletic earlier that alluded to this). Also a great option to have another C slide in situationally or in case of injury and can really play him anywhere on top 3 lines and on special teams depending on what the team needs night to night.

I agree on moving Svech back up to play w/ Aho and Turbo though, and I think that's probably RBA's long term plan but he's seeing what else we have. Just need to find a dynamic threat to fit in on that Troch/Necas line.
Davioparker liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Sabres

??? - Trocheck - Necas

Quoting: vikhodush
Agree on Jarvis - I just hesitate to take the optimistic route on him being an impact player in the playoffs this year. Agree generally on Necas, he's def a top 6 guy - I just expected more consistent play out of him so far this season outside of purely putting points up even. I do think he'll bounce back and that he'll perform well though.

Giroux is a natural righty but prefers LW to RW supposedly (read an article in Athletic earlier that alluded to this). Also a great option to have another C slide in situationally or in case of injury and can really play him anywhere on top 3 lines and on special teams depending on what the team needs night to night.

I agree on moving Svech back up to play w/ Aho and Turbo though, and I think that's probably RBA's long term plan but he's seeing what else we have. Just need to find a dynamic threat to fit in on that Troch/Necas line.

Isn’t Giroux kinda out of reach as he listed his 3 teams to be COL, MIN and STL? J.T Miller would fit there nicely tho
vikhodush and Davioparker liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: Pullero
Isn’t Giroux kinda out of reach as he listed his 3 teams to be COL, MIN and STL? J.T Miller would fit there nicely tho

Those are the 3 teams he can be traded to without being asked. He can still waive for the other 28.

Edit: My bad, it's Burns that has the 3 team trade list not Giroux. He can waive his NMC for anyone he wants.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.

I think it's a long shot he'd waive for CAR but honestly haven't done a ton of research on it. From what I've read his agent has permission to talk to teams to gauge interest and start building framework of a trade but I don't think Giroux, agent and GM have really confirmed what he wants or what teams he's willing to go to at this point.

I would think he just wants to go to a top 5 contender at this point to make a run at a cup before signing somewhere next year. If that's the case he's probably willing to go to COL, FLA, CAR, VGK, TB, MIN? Maybe a couple others that I'm forgetting. Out of those seems like COL, FLA, MIN, CAR would be best options imo.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:42 p.m.
#LeafsFever
You know the Flyers will be asking for Ryan Suzuki, right? I don't mind the deal, but if I am the Flyers, I think you could find a better prospect dealing with the Avs or the Wild or even the Ducks if they were content on making a big run. To me, I think the Canes would have more interest swinging real hard for Thomas Hertl, or working on their top-9 with someone like Lawson Crouse. I'd also be curious to see what a deal for Connor Garland would look like and think he'd be the kind of player that'd fit in with the Canes quite well, both this season and beyond. Obviously, trading Ryan Suzuki at all is a non-starter to me.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
You know the Flyers will be asking for Ryan Suzuki, right? I don't mind the deal, but if I am the Flyers, I think you could find a better prospect dealing with the Avs or the Wild or even the Ducks if they were content on making a big run. To me, I think the Canes would have more interest swinging real hard for Thomas Hertl, or working on their top-9 with someone like Lawson Crouse. I'd also be curious to see what a deal for Connor Garland would look like and think he'd be the kind of player that'd fit in with the Canes quite well, both this season and beyond. Obviously, trading Ryan Suzuki at all is a non-starter to me.

I would move Suzuki for the right piece but don't think that's Giroux. Would probably have to be a player with some term versus a rental. I figured throwing a first rounder would alleviate the need to put Suzuki in the deal but understand why somebody of his level would probably be needed. I can't see a first and Suzuki happening from Canes perspective, honestly can't see the first happening either way so maybe it's a moot point. They already don't have their first for next year and historically they haven't sold the farm, especially for pure rentals.

Maybe this is when they start doing it. They certainly have a pretty big window for cup contention but they're inside of it now and need to start taking some shots imo.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
Sabres
Those are the 3 teams he can be traded to without being asked. He can still waive for the other 28.

Edit: My bad, it's Burns that has the 3 team trade list not Giroux. He can waive his NMC for anyone he wants.

Yeah Giroux has a full NMC, but I believe it was made public that he has said that he mainly wants to be traded to COL, but other teams he’d be fine with are MIN and STL.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
Yeah Giroux has a full NMC, but I believe it was made public that he has said that he mainly wants to be traded to COL, but other teams he’d be fine with are MIN and STL.

He'd still have the ability to waive for another team. Just because it's not public doesn't mean he won't go. How often do we see trades that had no kind of rumor for it?
Feb. 18, 2022 at 2:21 a.m.
Sabres
He'd still have the ability to waive for another team. Just because it's not public doesn't mean he won't go. How often do we see trades that had no kind of rumor for it?

Well nothing is impossible I guess, but I could see canes go after either Copp or Stastny rather than Giroux
Feb. 18, 2022 at 5:30 a.m.
Well nothing is impossible I guess, but I could see canes go after either Copp or Stastny rather than Giroux

Doesn't address the depth scoring issue. They're being linked with Giroux because they always target big-name players (Eichel, Klingerg) they're not going to move for a 4th liner in Copp or a 3C in Stastny.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 5:38 a.m.
Sabres
Doesn't address the depth scoring issue. They're being linked with Giroux because they always target big-name players (Eichel, Klingerg) they're not going to move for a 4th liner in Copp or a 3C in Stastny.

Copp is a top6 forward or atleast he’s been that in Winnipeg for 2 seasons now. Thought he’d fit on the 2nd line LW, same role he’s played most of the time this and last season.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 5:43 a.m.
Copp is a top6 forward or atleast he’s been that in Winnipeg for 2 seasons now. Thought he’d fit on the 2nd line LW, same role he’s played most of the time this and last season.

He's been a top 6 winger on a meh team. Is he beating out Svechnikov or Teravainen? No. He's not pushing Niederreiter off the 3rd line either. Making him a 4th liner.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll