$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
RW, LW
UFA - 1
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 26, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
Why would the Kraken even consider that?
KrakDad liked this.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Any scenario where the Oilers galaxy-brain themselves into playing Archibald this season isn't a dream scenario. Even if he's still better than Shore, he's not an effective NHL player.

If Woodcroft's preference is to go 11-7, we don't need to worry about the effectiveness of Edmonton's 12th or 13th forward. I'd much rather spend a mid-round pick on someone that can actually play hockey at the NHL level.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Any scenario where the Oilers galaxy-brain themselves into playing Archibald this season isn't a dream scenario. Even if he's still better than Shore, he's not an effective NHL player.

If Woodcroft's preference is to go 11-7, we don't need to worry about the effectiveness of Edmonton's 12th or 13th forward. I'd much rather spend a mid-round pick on someone that can actually play hockey at the NHL level.

I think he's better than Ryan and Kassian for sure. Spend a mid round pick on a forward? Don't think we need to. All this team needs are two defencemen and a starting goalie
Feb. 26, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: DripBayless
I think he's better than Ryan and Kassian for sure. Spend a mid round pick on a forward? Don't think we need to. All this team needs are two defencemen and a starting goalie

I agree that the back end needs to be prioritized.

Archibald is not better than Derek Ryan. Before Woodcroft assuming the role of head coach they were essentially interchangeable, the bigger knock on Ryan simply being is that Holland expected him to be the #3C. With Woodcroft, he's surging (literally just scored).

Archibald can't play games outside of Canada and hasn't been on the ice in almost a year. Ryan at minimum is fit and playing NHL games. It matters.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
I agree that the back end needs to be prioritized.

Archibald is not better than Derek Ryan. Before Woodcroft assuming the role of head coach they were essentially interchangeable, the bigger knock on Ryan simply being is that Holland expected him to be the #3C. With Woodcroft, he's surging (literally just scored).

Archibald can't play games outside of Canada and hasn't been on the ice in almost a year. Ryan at minimum is fit and playing NHL games. It matters.

I understand Ryan is currently having the game of his life but I do think there is a fair conversation to be had between him and archie being interchangeable under normal circumstances. Unfortunately it’s not normal circumstances so I would agree right now ryan is leaps ahead of archie being mid season and in mid season form that’s the biggest factor. However if that was on equal ground I’d say they could be interchangeable depending on opponents. Archie plays a fearless game and throws massive hits and defensively solid most of his impacts are creating momentum and firing up his team which that kind of heart and soul player is very valuable to have.
DripBayless liked this.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 2:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Timmah007
I understand Ryan is currently having the game of his life but I do think there is a fair conversation to be had between him and archie being interchangeable under normal circumstances. Unfortunately it’s not normal circumstances so I would agree right now ryan is leaps ahead of archie being mid season and in mid season form that’s the biggest factor. However if that was on equal ground I’d say they could be interchangeable depending on opponents. Archie plays a fearless game and throws massive hits and defensively solid most of his impacts are creating momentum and firing up his team which that kind of heart and soul player is very valuable to have.

I find it very hard to ignore that for every shot Archibald takes at even strength, the Oilers give up two. The only way I'd give any gravitas to the idea of the two being interchangeable would be if Archibald could take an AHL stint to at least see if he's up to snuff. The problem is he can't because he cannot enter the US.

I don't know much about the esoteric details regarding the Oilers locker room, but if the "heart and soul" guy can't get his ass vaccinated (there are shots that won't affect his myocarditis) to at least help the team, then I don't think there's much room on that bus for Josh.

The PK needs work for sure, but I stand by the priority needing to be additions on the back end. Better defencemen on the back end and never allowing Smith to play another game for the Oilers would add as much as Archibald would to the PK.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
I find it very hard to ignore that for every shot Archibald takes at even strength, the Oilers give up two. The only way I'd give any gravitas to the idea of the two being interchangeable would be if Archibald could take an AHL stint to at least see if he's up to snuff. The problem is he can't because he cannot enter the US.

I don't know much about the esoteric details regarding the Oilers locker room, but if the "heart and soul" guy can't get his ass vaccinated (there are shots that won't affect his myocarditis) to at least help the team, then I don't think there's much room on that bus for Josh.

The PK needs work for sure, but I stand by the priority needing to be additions on the back end. Better defencemen on the back end and never allowing Smith to play another game for the Oilers would add as much as Archibald would to the PK.

I can’t say much about archie not getting the shot that’s a personal choice don’t know he’s reasoning for so won’t judge but it certainly hurts his chances getting into the line up. The addition on the back end could just as easily be completed by Keith coming back. Seen lots of improvement in that area under woodcroft and that’s been without Keith.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
Ban Price trades
The addition on the back end could just as easily be completed by Keith coming back. Seen lots of improvement in that area under woodcroft and that’s been without Keith.

This has been a thought I've had as well, and it really sells the point to me for Edmonton bringing in someone to push Keith down the lineup. It's essentially two additions for the playoffs at the cost of one.

If Edmonton spends its assets for such a top-4 LHD and a name like Braun then the blueline is absolutely overhauled come the spring. I don't know how many miles the forwards have left in them under the 11/7 setup has left in it but a corps of:

Nurse - Barrie
[] - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Braun

looks strong enough to maybe get lucky enough in the spring to make some noise. It takes some of the load off of all three of Barrie, Bouchard, and Ceci while boosting the blueline's depth by pushing Keith down.

We know the Oilers are shy on deadline assets. I'd prioritize this blueline setup over even a goaltender. I think Binnington is available in the summer. Curious to if Skinner > Smith for the rest of the season is enough to patch the ship entirely.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
This has been a thought I've had as well, and it really sells the point to me for Edmonton bringing in someone to push Keith down the lineup. It's essentially two additions for the playoffs at the cost of one.

If Edmonton spends its assets for such a top-4 LHD and a name like Braun then the blueline is absolutely overhauled come the spring. I don't know how many miles the forwards have left in them under the 11/7 setup has left in it but a corps of:

Nurse - Barrie
[] - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Braun

looks strong enough to maybe get lucky enough in the spring to make some noise. It takes some of the load off of all three of Barrie, Bouchard, and Ceci while boosting the blueline's depth by pushing Keith down.

We know the Oilers are shy on deadline assets. I'd prioritize this blueline setup over even a goaltender. I think Binnington is available in the summer. Curious to if Skinner > Smith for the rest of the season is enough to patch the ship entirely.

The only part I don’t like about pushing Keith down is that pushes Niemelianen out he brings an element of size and physicality the team really struggled without. I like idea of Braun as an extra because that right side has no reliable options if someone goes down. Once Keith comes back I think that’s when we will see woodcroft go with a more traditional 12/6. Pretty sure he’s said that during one of his media availability. At the very least I know he mentioned doesn’t see 11/7 sustainable long term.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Ban Price trades
The only part I don’t like about pushing Keith down is that pushes Niemelainen out he brings an element of size and physicality the team really struggled without. I like idea of Braun as an extra because that right side has no reliable options if someone goes down. Once Keith comes back I think that’s when we will see woodcroft go with a more traditional 12/6. Pretty sure he’s said that during one of his media availability. At the very least I know he mentioned doesn’t see 11/7 sustainable long term.

I think the Niemelainen thing is something we've discussed before and I personally think his size and gifts are more something to look forward to next year. He's still a bit raw around the edges and an extra bit of time in Bakersfield will not hurt him. He's clearly got inside track on Samorukov so I'd rather see him refine as much of his game as possible alongside the likes of Broberg and Holloway.

That said, I don't think it's guaranteed the name Edmonton brings in to bump Niemo cannot play a similar style. The stand-up-a-player-at-the-blueline seems to be a feature of Manson's guidance and I think we'll see more of Edmonton's rearguards adopt more of it into their game as the team gets more comfortable with the new systems. Given Bouchard's struggles of late it's clear he needs that steady partner and I don't think any of the Oilers' LHD have that to their name right now, at least not such that I'd feel comfortable with that pairing into the postseason.

I don't want to discount any effects Woodcroft's systems would have on Kassian: he hasn't seemed right all season and his return could replace some of that lost physicality.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.
I think the Niemelainen thing is something we've discussed before and I personally think his size and gifts are more something to look forward to next year. He's still a bit raw around the edges and an extra bit of time in Bakersfield will not hurt him. He's clearly got inside track on Samorukov so I'd rather see him refine as much of his game as possible alongside the likes of Broberg and Holloway.

That said, I don't think it's guaranteed the name Edmonton brings in to bump Niemo cannot play a similar style. The stand-up-a-player-at-the-blueline seems to be a feature of Manson's guidance and I think we'll see more of Edmonton's rearguards adopt more of it into their game as the team gets more comfortable with the new systems. Given Bouchard's struggles of late it's clear he needs that steady partner and I don't think any of the Oilers' LHD have that to their name right now, at least not such that I'd feel comfortable with that pairing into the postseason.

I don't want to discount any effects Woodcroft's systems would have on Kassian: he hasn't seemed right all season and his return could replace some of that lost physicality.

Kass I’m really upset the timing of his injury. Very unfortunate. Seeing the team under woodcroft has me wondering if Tippett was holding certain guys back from playing to their strengths. When kass was an unquestionable fan favourite crashing banging being one of the most effective pests in the league that was under Todd with woodcroft right beside him. That’s why when people suggest just trade kass dump him I’m very iffy because if we can get that kass back he’s worth every dime and can easily be a difference maker in a playoff series. It’s hard to see him return from a fractured jaw to go picking fights but if he comes back wearing a full cage I’ll be on my feet in anticipation for his first shift. He’s one guy I’d really encourage the fan base to be very open minded on giving another opportunity to prove his worth to this team.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Kass I’m really upset the timing of his injury. Very unfortunate. Seeing the team under woodcroft has me wondering if Tippett was holding certain guys back from playing to their strengths. When kass was an unquestionable fan favourite crashing banging being one of the most effective pests in the league that was under Todd with woodcroft right beside him. That’s why when people suggest just trade kass dump him I’m very iffy because if we can get that kass back he’s worth every dime and can easily be a difference maker in a playoff series. It’s hard to see him return from a fractured jaw to go picking fights but if he comes back wearing a full cage I’ll be on my feet in anticipation for his first shift. He’s one guy I’d really encourage the fan base to be very open minded on giving another opportunity to prove his worth to this team.

I don't know if there's a scenario going into next season without Kassian bought out or traded. Holland's other moves have been far too expensive to justify keeping Kassian at his price point. I would hope that under a new coach he can succeed and recapture some of his magic from 2017 but unless he's pulling a Gordie Howe hat trick out of his ass on a nightly basis the Oilers almost cannot keep him next year.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 7:45 p.m.
I don't know if there's a scenario going into next season without Kassian bought out or traded. Holland's other moves have been far too expensive to justify keeping Kassian at his price point. I would hope that under a new coach he can succeed and recapture some of his magic from 2017 but unless he's pulling a Gordie Howe hat trick out of his ass on a nightly basis the Oilers almost cannot keep him next year.

Playoffs will dictate that in my opinion. I think there could be money to keep him around if he does have an impact in playoffs. What will force that choice is a dramatic move that has term like if Holland tries to address goaltending by getting varlamov then there isn’t money to keep kass around. I’m completely 100% against that idea see floated around on here.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Playoffs will dictate that in my opinion. I think there could be money to keep him around if he does have an impact in playoffs. What will force that choice is a dramatic move that has term like if Holland tries to address goaltending by getting varlamov then there isn’t money to keep kass around. I’m completely 100% against that idea see floated around on here.

I really only like Varlamov-to-Edmonton if the Oilers are also bringing Mayfield as part of a larger deal and/or sending Smith to Long Island. He's expensive and isn't a world-beating goaltender.
Feb. 26, 2022 at 11:50 p.m.
I really only like Varlamov-to-Edmonton if the Oilers are also bringing Mayfield as part of a larger deal and/or sending Smith to Long Island. He's expensive and isn't a world-beating goaltender.

Call me crazy but I do question how much better varlamov is than kosk. Think need to be a bit careful looking at save percentages and goals against those numbers also reflect the team in front. What would his numbers be given the quantity of odd man rushes oilers have allowed in recent years and higher danger chances. I just see him as an expensive option assuming he waives a 16 team no trade clause which I don’t see happening. Skinner has shown capable of league average goaltending which is a significant improvement over smith right now so just do that.
Feb. 27, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.

Call me crazy but I do question how much better varlamov is than kosk. Think need to be a bit careful looking at save percentages and goals against those numbers also reflect the team in front. What would his numbers be given the quantity of odd man rushes oilers have allowed in recent years and higher danger chances. I just see him as an expensive option assuming he waives a 16 team no trade clause which I don’t see happening. Skinner has shown capable of league average goaltending which is a significant improvement over smith right now so just do that.

This is why I think keeping Kosk instead of Smith would be way better. NYI would likely need a backup for next year - I wonder if they'd take Smith. I'd rather have Varlamov-Skinner next year. And even if not Varlamov, I'd rather have Kosk at 2M than Smith at 2M.
Feb. 27, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: DripBayless
This is why I think keeping Kosk instead of Smith would be way better. NYI would likely need a backup for next year - I wonder if they'd take Smith. I'd rather have Varlamov-Skinner next year. And even if not Varlamov, I'd rather have Kosk at 2M than Smith at 2M.

Sad reality is smith is our best option I’d argue if got him up to speed better than varlamov but it’s just how to get him up to speed without costing us needless losses we can’t really afford. Maybe forcing smith into a conditioning stint in Bakersfield is the best bet. I’m fully confident in both skinner and kosk for the time being. Really see no sense in external solutions just yet.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll