SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Markus Niemeläinen (2 Years / $762,500 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Markus Niemeläinen has signed a new contract with the Edmonton Oilers.
Standard Contract (Extension)
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Ken Holland
Length: 2 years
Value: $1,525,000
Expiry Status: UFA (Group 6)
Cap % Tooltip: 0.94
Signing Team: Logo of the Edmonton OilersEdmonton Oilers
Signing Date: Mar. 10, 2022
Source: CapFriendly

Markus Niemeläinen signed a 2 year, $1,525,000 contract with the Edmonton Oilers on Mar. 10, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $762,500.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2022-23$762,500$762,500$0$0$750,000$750,000$300,000
2023-24$762,500$762,500$0$0$775,000$775,000$775,000
TOTAL$1,525,000$1,525,000$0$0$1,525,000$1,525,000$1,075,000
MINIMUM GUARANTEED SALARY: 2022-23: $350,000
Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
I make typos
Nemo came out of no where in the Oilers system in December and now is gonna be this teams heavy hitting 3rd pair LD for a long time
oilersfan150, BeterChiarelli, OldNYIfan and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
I love this signing nemo is going to be a solid third pair defender and he brings physicality to our blueline.
BeterChiarelli, oilersguy, OldNYIfan and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
Ban Price trades
What's crucial about this to me is that year one is a two-way deal. He and Broberg still having waiver eligibility suggests Edmonton can split their usage in Edmonton and in Bakersfield while also binging in a longish-term upgrade at LHD.
oilersguy, OldNYIfan, oilersfan150 and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Probably a good signing at a million dollars, so this number is sensational. And as @BeterChiarelli points out, it's a two-way deal.
oilersguy and CD282 liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
What's crucial about this to me is that year one is a two-way deal. He and Broberg still having waiver eligibility suggests Edmonton can split their usage in Edmonton and in Bakersfield while also binging in a longish-term upgrade at LHD.

I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg ends up on the right side, TBH. Look how well he's played since moving over... IIRC he played RD in SHL, so maybe he's more comfortable there.
OldNYIfan, BeterChiarelli and joek liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 6:13 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: CD282
I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg ends up on the right side, TBH. Look how well he's played since moving over... IIRC he played RD in SHL, so maybe he's more comfortable there.

I've noticed that too. If he sticks there the Oilers are going to walk away thrice lucky for not having much in the way for RHD prospects after trading Bear for one of the most ho-hum third line wingers I've ever seen should he stick portside.

While playing around with a 2022-23 roster I've realized that Desharnais is probably going to have a roster spot out of camp if he looks remotely competent due to his waiver status. He should pair well with Keith (assuming the old fart refuses to retire) which would give both the waiver-exempt Broberg and Niemelainen a chance to start in Bakersfield on the same pair together. Would also solve the issue of the Leftorium should they be hot for Sanheim now that Ristolainen is a Flyer forever.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 7:41 a.m.
I've noticed that too. If he sticks there the Oilers are going to walk away thrice lucky for not having much in the way for RHD prospects after trading Bear for one of the most ho-hum third line wingers I've ever seen should he stick portside.

While playing around with a 2022-23 roster I've realized that Desharnais is probably going to have a roster spot out of camp if he looks remotely competent due to his waiver status. He should pair well with Keith (assuming the old fart refuses to retire) which would give both the waiver-exempt Broberg and Niemelainen a chance to start in Bakersfield on the same pair together. Would also solve the issue of the Leftorium should they be hot for Sanheim now that Ristolainen is a Flyer forever.

You're supposing that one of the 3 signed NHL RHD get moved in the summer I guess? From reports, Desharnais' skating is likely going to preclude an NHL career - let alone top-4.

I think Samorukov is a potential for the NHL next season actually. He had a couple of terrible shifts when he was up earlier this season (too aggressive at the blueline, he miscalculated NHL speed) but he's been dominant in the AHL since.

Also, Sanheim? There's a name I'd be interested in... wonder what the cost would be and whether the Oilers would have interest. If Barrie+ would get Sanheim, they could run a Keith-Broberg 3rd pair and Sanheim-Bouchard on the 2nd maybe? That leaves Samorukov as the 7th guy and Niemelainen in the minors.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Ban Price trades
You're supposing that one of the 3 signed NHL RHD get moved in the summer I guess? From reports, Desharnais' skating is likely going to preclude an NHL career - let alone top-4.

I think Samorukov is a potential for the NHL next season actually. He had a couple of terrible shifts when he was up earlier this season (too aggressive at the blueline, he miscalculated NHL speed) but he's been dominant in the AHL since.

Also, Sanheim? There's a name I'd be interested in... wonder what the cost would be and whether the Oilers would have interest. If Barrie+ would get Sanheim, they could run a Keith-Broberg 3rd pair and Sanheim-Bouchard on the 2nd maybe? That leaves Samorukov as the 7th guy and Niemelainen in the minors.

I'm firm on Barrie getting moved and bearish on waiver-eligible defenders making the opening night roster. The team assumes negligible risk by sending those who don't need waivers to the AHL to better see what they have in those contracts which are at risk to being claimed on waivers. Having that out allows for breathing room on what may appear to be a tougher decision.

I think Desharnais makes the club as the #6 or #7 skating be damned but may not necessarily finish the year in the NHL. There's due diligence to be done as both a coaching staff and as a manager: 82 games of runway is the perfect window to try something that may be best suited as theory instead of actual practice. I think that leaves Broberg and Niemelainen as early to mid-season call-ups; "micro-improvements" a team could add to the club by American Thanksgiving should the blueline still need a kick in the pants. I don't hate the idea of maximizing Broberg's reps early with top minutes in Bakersfield before bringing him up to babysit Keith.

I don't think Barrie is an asset the Flyers consider: Ellis will take most of those crown power play moments and Ristolainen already can't play defense. I think they'd have to be two separate trades but assets returned from dealing Barrie could easily be flipped with the 2022 1st for Sanheim. My preference is to add Sanheim now which likely rules out trading Barrie as I think we both agree if that kind of move happens, it'll be in the summer.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
I'm firm on Barrie getting moved and bearish on waiver-eligible defenders making the opening night roster. The team assumes negligible risk by sending those who don't need waivers to the AHL to better see what they have in those contracts which are at risk to being claimed on waivers. Having that out allows for breathing room on what may appear to be a tougher decision.

I think Desharnais makes the club as the #6 or #7 skating be damned but may not necessarily finish the year in the NHL. There's due diligence to be done as both a coaching staff and as a manager: 82 games of runway is the perfect window to try something that may be best suited as theory instead of actual practice. I think that leaves Broberg and Niemelainen as early to mid-season call-ups; "micro-improvements" a team could add to the club by American Thanksgiving should the blueline still need a kick in the pants. I don't hate the idea of maximizing Broberg's reps early with top minutes in Bakersfield before bringing him up to babysit Keith.

I don't think Barrie is an asset the Flyers consider: Ellis will take most of those crown power play moments and Ristolainen already can't play defense. I think they'd have to be two separate trades but assets returned from dealing Barrie could easily be flipped with the 2022 1st for Sanheim. My preference is to add Sanheim now which likely rules out trading Barrie as I think we both agree if that kind of move happens, it'll be in the summer.

Who is the Hagg equivalent on the Oilers roster? Kassian?
Mar. 11, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Who is the Hagg equivalent on the Oilers roster? Kassian?

I went with Yamamoto and sent the Sabres a 4th to retain league minimum to make the cap work with my AGM yesterday.

I think adding Kassian works the best cap-wise but that's a lot of negative value for Philadelphia to take back. Imagine the inverse where you have to tell Oiler fans we sold on a good, young defenceman and the only NHL piece we got back was a Kassian-type. I know you're trying to operate under the guise of Fletcher's previous body of work but unless you're offering our next two firsts or a first and one of our better prospects, I can't see Kassian fitting in that deal.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
I went with Yamamoto and sent the Sabres a 4th to retain league minimum to make the cap work with my AGM yesterday.

I think adding Kassian works the best cap-wise but that's a lot of negative value for Philadelphia to take back. Imagine the inverse where you have to tell Oiler fans we sold on a good, young defenceman and the only NHL piece we got back was a Kassian-type. I know you're trying to operate under the guise of Fletcher's previous body of work but unless you're offering our next two firsts or a first and one of our better prospects, I can't see Kassian fitting in that deal.

This doesn't add up. You said that the Flyers would want a similar package to what they paid for Ristolainen, which was Hagg, a 1st + 2nd. Is Hagg the key to the deal? Clearly not, neither would Kassian be. The key pieces are the picks. Hagg is a nonentity, a 4th line filler who is there for cap and roster purposes only.

Now you're saying that the Flyers will want significantly more than the Ristolainen deal? Because Yamamoto + 1st + 2nd certainly is that.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:11 a.m.
Ban Price trades
This doesn't add up. You said that the Flyers would want a similar package to what they paid for Ristolainen, which was Hagg, a 1st + 2nd. Is Hagg the key to the deal? Clearly not, neither would Kassian be. The key pieces are the picks. Hagg is a nonentity, a 4th line filler who is there for cap and roster purposes only.

Now you're saying that the Flyers will want significantly more than the Ristolainen deal? Because Yamamoto + 1st + 2nd certainly is that.

Ristolainen would be the framework, your interpretation of the error bars depend on how much better you think Sandheim is than Ristolainen and/or how much of an overpay you think the trade for Ristolainen was. The concession I made for Yamamoto being a far more valuable piece than Hagg was to send Samorukov instead of a 2nd.

I think recognizing Kassian's remaining cap hit and term is important in distinguishing him from Hagg in this case. I dont disagree that as a bottom-pair defender he was included in the deal to keep the 50-man lists square more than provide actual NHL value but his inclusion would not be the same as Kassian's.

I think Kassian is doable in a Sanheim-to-Edmonton deal so long as a pair of firsts head to the city of brotherly love. Bridging the gap between a cheap, expiring Hagg with a Kassian that is neither of those things likely requires upgrading the requisite second round equivalent in the deal.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
Ristolainen would be the framework, your interpretation of the error bars depend on how much better you think Sandheim is than Ristolainen and/or how much of an overpay you think the trade for Ristolainen was. The concession I made for Yamamoto being a far more valuable piece than Hagg was to send Samorukov instead of a 2nd.

I think recognizing Kassian's remaining cap hit and term is important in distinguishing him from Hagg in this case. I dont disagree that as a bottom-pair defender he was included in the deal to keep the 50-man lists square more than provide actual NHL value but his inclusion would not be the same as Kassian's.

I think Kassian is doable in a Sanheim-to-Edmonton deal so long as a pair of firsts head to the city of brotherly love. Bridging the gap between a cheap, expiring Hagg with a Kassian that is neither of those things likely requires upgrading the requisite second round equivalent in the deal.

I think we have very different views of Kassian. I see s guy who is outscoring (5v5 P/60) Kane, Yamamoto and Foegele this year while making about $500k more than Foegele. He's having a "down" season, while Foegele is scoring as expected. Yet he clearly has massive negative value for you, whereas I was glad to see him back in the lineup. He was contributing from the first shift.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Mar. 29, 2023 at 11:08 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: oilersguy
Nemo came out of no where in the Oilers system in December and now is gonna be this teams heavy hitting 3rd pair LD for a long time

nevermind lol, thats Vinny D

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit