SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

I just realized Chicago didn't top 10 protect their 2022 first round pick

Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
Not sure how I missed this but Chicago traded this year's first rounder to Columbus without top 10 protection (only top 2 protection) which means if the season ended today Columbus would be picking 8th overall with Chicago's pick.

What's worse is that without Fleury (most likely), the last 20 games of the season could see some losing streaks, making that pick higher for the Blue Jackets.

Alternatively, perhaps the worse scenario is that Chicago gets a top 2 pick this year in the lotto, then their 2023 first rounder could potentially be a top 2 pick but this time, Columbus gets to use it to select Bedard or Michkov.

How did the organization not think this scenario through?!
MatthewsFan liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: Kap97
Not sure how I missed this but Chicago traded this year's first rounder to Columbus without top 10 protection (only top 2 protection) which means if the season ended today Columbus would be picking 8th overall with Chicago's pick.

What's worse is that without Fleury (most likely), the last 20 games of the season could see some losing streaks, making that pick higher for the Blue Jackets.

Alternatively, perhaps the worse scenario is that Chicago gets a top 2 pick this year in the lotto, then their 2023 first rounder could potentially be a top 2 pick but this time, Columbus gets to use it to select Bedard or Michkov.

They pulled a Woops

For instance SJS traded for EK and fast forward to 2020 draft

Ottawa got Stutzle with their pick....

Now Columbus potentially gonna have a top 10 pick
dlt_hfu2847whsba liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
torontos finest
They were sold on Seth Jones being worth Boqvist and two first rounders. Definitely did not see themselves in the top 10 pick range.

Also, everyone involved in this trade on Chicago's side was fired. For much different reasons though.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Kap97

It's without a doubt the 2nd scenario that would be even worse, possibly giving up the option of gifting away Bedard or Michkov
dlt_hfu2847whsba liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
It's without a doubt the 2nd scenario that would be even worse, possibly giving up the option of gifting away Bedard or Michkov

That's what's really throwing me, how no one in the front office forecasted that scenario. I kind of want it to happen for maximum chaos.
MatthewsFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll