Forums/Armchair-GM

Would never happen

Created by: ReelBigFan
Team: 2022-23 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: May 4, 2022
Published: May 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Flyers are just in such bad shape… I know Bergy will sign with Boston for 4 mill since that’s all the cap they have left and they have everyone on NMC, but a man can Dream can’t he lol
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,250,000
3$1,250,000
3$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$10,000,000
4$8,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Slafkovsky, Juraj
3$800,000
Trades
PHI
ARI
  1. Hayes, Kevin
  2. Lindblom, Oskar
  3. van Riemsdyk, James
  4. 2022 4th round pick (PHI)
  5. 2024 1st round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,620,250$295,000$2,212,500$2,879,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$10,000,000$10,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$7,750,000$7,750,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Slafkovsky, Juraj
$800,000$800,000
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,675,000$4,675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,979,000$3,979,000
G
RFA - 2
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,100,000$5,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$725,000$725K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$883,750$883,750 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 2
$756,667$756,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 4, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Then you trade Hart to Edmonton, right? That sounds like a good plan to me…
ReelBigFan liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
I’m fine with that… Hart for some random guy like McDavid? Lol
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: ReelBigFan
I’m fine with that… Hart for some random guy like McDavid? Lol

Maybe if we retain 50%. That random guy is making 12.5M! Way too much.
ReelBigFan liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
I believe Fedotov can only receive a 1 year ELC.

Also that's a lot of assets to give up to basically be right back in cap problems. Sure you can argue the team is better. However, for the cap problems they'll run into soon they aren't THAT much better.
ReelBigFan liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: CaseOfTastykakes

Also that's a lot of assets to give up to basically be right back in cap problems. Sure you can argue the team is better. However, for the cap problems they'll run into soon they aren't THAT much better.

If you look at the other Russian goalies Ilya Sorokin, Igor Shesterkin, and Ilya Samsonov. Sorokin got a 1 year 925k deal, Shesterkin got a 2 year 925k deal, and Samsonov got a 3 year 925k deal. I believe they can give them up to 3 years, but from my understanding, the Russian goalies don’t want the 3 years, probably to get a pay day the year after, as Russia can pay them a lot too, and that’s why Kaprizov signed for so much.
May 4, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
If you look at the other Russian goalies Ilya Sorokin, Igor Shesterkin, and Ilya Samsonov. Sorokin got a 1 year 925k deal, Shesterkin got a 2 year 925k deal, and Samsonov got a 3 year 925k deal. I believe they can give them up to 3 years, but from my understanding, the Russian goalies don’t want the 3 years, probably to get a pay day the year after, as Russia can pay them a lot too, and that’s why Kaprizov signed for so much.

Quoting: CapFriendly
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
18-21 years of age: 3 years
22-23 years of age: 2 years
24 years of age: 1 year

Since Fedotov will be 25 as of September 15 of this year, I believe he would still receive a 1 year contract, but it wouldn't be a two-way but a one-way (I could be wrong on that). So he'll earn the same amount of money in the AHL or NHL. So those three goalies you mention didn't sign those contracts to get paid faster (though they do like that), but because of the rules of an ELC. They all got the max $ amount for their ELC but the years were determined by their age of when they signed the contact.
ALitteral and Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.

Philly is in just such bad shape that it’s almost impossible to fix, and by the looks of it we are about to blow up the team and move a bunch of picks to maybe be a bubble team.

Right now I think depending who we draft we have to move a top paid player filling that position.
If we land Wright, Cooley, Savoie, I’d plug them in 2C and move coots or Hayes.
If we land Nemec I think Provorov will be gone.
May 4, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
Since Fedotov will be 25 as of September 15 of this year, I believe he would still receive a 1 year contract, but it wouldn't be a two-way but a one-way (I could be wrong on that). So he'll earn the same amount of money in the AHL or NHL. So those three goalies you mention didn't sign those contracts to get paid faster (though they do like that), but because of the rules of an ELC. They all got the max $ amount for their ELC but the years were determined by their age of when they signed the contact.

Thank you, you are right! I was looking at stuff for evidence, and I found this. So Samsonov got a 3 year deal, because he signed it on May 3, 2018 and was born on February 22, 1997. Shesterkin got a 2 year deal, because he signed it on May 3, 2019, and was born on December 30, 1995. Finally, Sorokin got a 1 year deal, and signed his contract on July 13, 2020 and was born on August 4, 1995. That would’ve made Samsonov 21, Shesterkin 23, and Sorokin 24 when they signed those deals. Thank you for your comment, that definitely makes a lot of sense.
CaseOfTastykakes liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Philly is in just such bad shape that it’s almost impossible to fix, and by the looks of it we are about to blow up the team and move a bunch of picks to maybe be a bubble team.

Right now I think depending who we draft we have to move a top paid player filling that position.
If we land Wright, Cooley, Savoie, I’d plug them in 2C and move coots or Hayes.
If we land Nemec I think Provorov will be gone.

That part I don't agree on. The Flyers did something similar back when Patrick was drafted. Schenn was traded to make room for Patrick, expecting him to become the 2C. While the return of that trade was still good at the time, it caused more issues down the line. Since Patrick didn't grow into the 2C role, they were forced to bring in Hayes if they wanted to compete. I think whoever they draft needs to show they can fill that role first.

And if things don't work out this coming up seasons, you can almost be sure they will blow this up. In which case Hayes, Coots, and/or Provy are likely gone anyways.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
That part I don't agree on. The Flyers did something similar back when Patrick was drafted. Schenn was traded to make room for Patrick, expecting him to become the 2C. While the return of that trade was still good at the time, it caused more issues down the line. Since Patrick didn't grow into the 2C role, they were forced to bring in Hayes if they wanted to compete. I think whoever they draft needs to show they can fill that role first.

And if things don't work out this coming up seasons, you can almost be sure they will blow this up. In which case Hayes, Coots, and/or Provy are likely gone anyways.

Agreed. Send them to the minors for a year, then bring them up. No need to rush them to be the 2c. I don’t mind giving them some games, but not the whole season. Patrick did still have a lot of concussion problems that didn’t help him out, but yah, they should not have rushed him.

As a side question, would anyone take Hayes’ big contract? He is good, but not worth 7M.
May 4, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.

Let’s be honest, Philly isn’t going to be competing with the current group. Coots as a 1c and Hayes as 2C is risky… add in the two of them taking up 14+ in cap space and we are in bad shape, not saying I don’t like these guys, just not sure they are 1 and 2 C material on a playoff team. Sanhiem needs an extension the year after next and the guy is currently looking to earn what Provorov gets or more.

We should be looking to rebuild, send a few pieces for younger guys, cheaper guys. But we are talking about trading youth for pieces to try to improve our team now, and we are willing to overpay.

Fletcher has been selling low and buying high, it’s not the way to win. Getting a 3rd for Braun while similar players were all getting a 2nd + was just proof we shouldn’t really be letting Fletcher negotiate trades.
May 5, 2022 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Agreed. Send them to the minors for a year, then bring them up. No need to rush them to be the 2c. I don’t mind giving them some games, but not the whole season. Patrick did still have a lot of concussion problems that didn’t help him out, but yah, they should not have rushed him.

As a side question, would anyone take Hayes’ big contract? He is good, but not worth 7M.

Assuming the Flyers struggle next seasons and decide to blow it up for a rebuild, I think the Flyers can afford to retain salary on Hayes if needed. He would have 3 years left and it would take some luck for the Flyers to be competitive before that contract is up anyways.

Let’s be honest, Philly isn’t going to be competing with the current group. Coots as a 1c and Hayes as 2C is risky… add in the two of them taking up 14+ in cap space and we are in bad shape, not saying I don’t like these guys, just not sure they are 1 and 2 C material on a playoff team. Sanhiem needs an extension the year after next and the guy is currently looking to earn what Provorov gets or more.

We should be looking to rebuild, send a few pieces for younger guys, cheaper guys. But we are talking about trading youth for pieces to try to improve our team now, and we are willing to overpay.

Fletcher has been selling low and buying high, it’s not the way to win. Getting a 3rd for Braun while similar players were all getting a 2nd + was just proof we shouldn’t really be letting Fletcher negotiate trades.

The issue isn't Coots and Hayes being your two top centers, the issue is the lack of high end talent on the team. You can make the argument their cap hits prevent them from obtaining high end talent, however you're talking about Selke winner as your top center and two way center who's pace has been just under 50 points a season (and I think a solid 2C averages around 50 points). In regards to Sanheim, if the Flyers fail next season it won't matter, he'll probably be traded at the deadline. And if they do well, then they'll have to figure out the contract situation. No idea what he'll get, but based off his past couple of seasons, I'd say anywhere between $5.5 to $6.5 cap hit for a good 2nd pair Dman.

While I don't agree with every move Fletcher has made, I wouldn't say been selling low and buying high. I would say the deals he overpaid for were Risto and Braun. Bruan, while expensive, ended up working out well. Risto was a massive overpay and while he hasn't been awful, he's definitely not worth the price paid for him or the contact he's been given. Rest of his trades I would say have been fair value or done a good job on. (Ellis trade, Niskanen trade, etc)

Also I think a 3rd for Braun was market value. I mean he's not even starting in the playoffs for the Rangers. I'm curious to who you think went for more that's similar to Braun. There could be someone I've over looked.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 10:06 a.m.
Assuming the Flyers struggle next seasons and decide to blow it up for a rebuild, I think the Flyers can afford to retain salary on Hayes if needed. He would have 3 years left and it would take some luck for the Flyers to be competitive before that contract is up anyways.

The issue isn't Coots and Hayes being your two top centers, the issue is the lack of high end talent on the team. You can make the argument their cap hits prevent them from obtaining high end talent, however you're talking about Selke winner as your top center and two way center who's pace has been just under 50 points a season (and I think a solid 2C averages around 50 points). In regards to Sanheim, if the Flyers fail next season it won't matter, he'll probably be traded at the deadline. And if they do well, then they'll have to figure out the contract situation. No idea what he'll get, but based off his past couple of seasons, I'd say anywhere between $5.5 to $6.5 cap hit for a good 2nd pair Dman.

While I don't agree with every move Fletcher has made, I wouldn't say been selling low and buying high. I would say the deals he overpaid for were Risto and Braun. Bruan, while expensive, ended up working out well. Risto was a massive overpay and while he hasn't been awful, he's definitely not worth the price paid for him or the contact he's been given. Rest of his trades I would say have been fair value or done a good job on. (Ellis trade, Niskanen trade, etc)

Also I think a 3rd for Braun was market value. I mean he's not even starting in the playoffs for the Rangers. I'm curious to who you think went for more that's similar to Braun. There could be someone I've over looked.

Players whose stats and advanced stats were similar to Braun would be Chiarot (whose stats and advanced stats were all about 15% better than Braun but still the same style of player), Manson( whose stats were similar but Braun had better advanced stats), and Kulak (whose stats and advanced stats were about 15-20% less than what Braun brought)

Sure, they are all younger talents, but they were all rentals so that doesn’t change a thing.

The market was hot, all 3 guys probably got well more than they should’ve but that is the problem. Braun could’ve easily commanded a 2nd and a guy prospect at that point.
May 5, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.

That’s fair. I just wasn’t sure if they would want to retain on his contract, or not. Maybe Boston would take him if they can’t get anyone else. They are in the Atlantic, they are a good team, in need of a 2c. That’s if they don’t get one by the time you guys decide to move him.

Thank you for discussing these Hayes/goalie topics with me! Have a good one, and I hope we can talk more in the future!
May 5, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Players whose stats and advanced stats were similar to Braun would be Chiarot (whose stats and advanced stats were all about 15% better than Braun but still the same style of player), Manson( whose stats were similar but Braun had better advanced stats), and Kulak (whose stats and advanced stats were about 15-20% less than what Braun brought)

Sure, they are all younger talents, but they were all rentals so that doesn’t change a thing.

The market was hot, all 3 guys probably got well more than they should’ve but that is the problem. Braun could’ve easily commanded a 2nd and a guy prospect at that point.

I mean the price is determined by demand and the player's ability. Clearly those three players were sought after by multiple teams and Braun's market was limited. While those three players are playing in the playoffs, Braun was a scratch game 1. I'm sure if CF was offered a 2nd and/or more, he would've said yes. It's not like someone calls and offers a 2nd and he's like, no I just want a 3rd. It looks like the market for Braun was probably around a 4th or 3rd.

Trust me, I don't think CF is a very good GM. There's plenty of examples that show he's not, but I'm not going to get upset because another team didn't want to pay more than a 3rd for Justin Braun.
May 5, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
I mean the price is determined by demand and the player's ability. Clearly those three players were sought after by multiple teams and Braun's market was limited. While those three players are playing in the playoffs, Braun was a scratch game 1. I'm sure if CF was offered a 2nd and/or more, he would've said yes. It's not like someone calls and offers a 2nd and he's like, no I just want a 3rd. It looks like the market for Braun was probably around a 4th or 3rd.

Trust me, I don't think CF is a very good GM. There's plenty of examples that show he's not, but I'm not going to get upset because another team didn't want to pay more than a 3rd for Justin Braun.

Being able to negotiate is the difference. I doubt Kulak started at a 2nd and a prospect.
May 9, 2022 at 11:47 a.m.
Being able to negotiate is the difference. I doubt Kulak started at a 2nd and a prospect.

For all we know, maybe nobody wanted Braun or were only asking a 5th or something. And he negotiated it to a 3rd. We have no idea. Only way you can say he's a bad at negotiating is if something comes out that a GM would've paid a 2nd or more for Braun. Otherwise it's just making speculations on something you can't prove.

Again, I want CF gone but I'm not going to speculate on something unless there's actual information to back it up.
May 9, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
For all we know, maybe nobody wanted Braun or were only asking a 5th or something. And he negotiated it to a 3rd. We have no idea. Only way you can say he's a bad at negotiating is if something comes out that a GM would've paid a 2nd or more for Braun. Otherwise it's just making speculations on something you can't prove.

Again, I want CF gone but I'm not going to speculate on something unless there's actual information to back it up.

Is it really speculation if all the evidence of similar pieces getting better returns is there? Even if someone offers a 5th, you mention the market return for similar players and you get that up to a place where it doesn’t look like you settled.
May 9, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
Is it really speculation if all the evidence of similar pieces getting better returns is there? Even if someone offers a 5th, you mention the market return for similar players and you get that up to a place where it doesn’t look like you settled.

I mean statically you can say their similar, I would even agree with you. However, GMs and coaches see Braun a level below them. The examples you gave, all of them have been playing this playoffs, Braun has been a healthy scratch all but one game, and that was due to another player being injured. So it seems like teams only wanted Braun to be that 7th Dman who can come in if someone's hurt or they need to switch something up.

Besides, there's plenty of other reasons to be upset with CF than getting a 3rd round pick for Braun instead of a 2nd. I mean seriously lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll