Forums/Armchair-GM

22-23 Wild

Created by: CoolHandL
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2022
Published: Jun. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- Fiala traded for a cost-controlled top/middle-six scorer of the future in Holtz
-- Addison included in deal so that he can perhaps get a fresh start again. He just doesn't seem like he will break into this blue line as it is currently constructed, and they will have one or two of Lambos/O'Rourke/Peart/Hunt coming in a couple years
- Middleton and Dewar re-sign for two years each at reasonable prices
- Fleury comes back on a two year deal, potentially setting up a Fleury/Wallstedt duo in 23-24
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$80,698,588$0$2,300,000$1,801,412
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
Love this Fiala for Holtz type trade for both teams. Holtz is going to be a very good player imo, having an NHL ready prospect like him on his ELC for the next 3 years is exactly what Minnesota needs. Fiala seems like a perfect fit in New Jersey with all their young forwards and fellow countryman Nico Hischier.
CoolHandL and IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:29 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
Middleton-Spurgeon wouldn't be the 1st pair.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Quoting: jstratfd61
Love this Fiala for Holtz type trade for both teams. Holtz is going to be a very good player imo, having an NHL ready prospect like him on his ELC for the next 3 years is exactly what Minnesota needs. Fiala seems like a perfect fit in New Jersey with all their young forwards and fellow countryman Nico Hischier.

I guess my question is why does Fiala make more sense for NJ than Holtz? I don't think he does.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
Middleton-Spurgeon wouldn't be the 1st pair.

Yea, I figure that pair and Brodin-Dumba are interchangeable. Brodin-Dumba probably end up playing a little bit more.
Digitalbooya06 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: HeadHighSauce
I guess my question is why does Fiala make more sense for NJ than Holtz? I don't think he does.

NJ is trading away a scorer of the future for a scorer of the present - it's all dependent on how confident they are in competing in the next few seasons. I figure Holtz will be 2-3 years before he is established.
jstratfd61 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:44 p.m.

Yah that could be true, my only thought would be they might want the already established elite FWD in Fiala over the potential of Holtz who may take a season or two. I do think MIN would have to add a bit more because they don't have much leverage with their cap space.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Quoting: CoolHandL
NJ is trading away a scorer of the future for a scorer of the present - it's all dependent on how confident they are in competing in the next few seasons. I figure Holtz will be 2-3 years before he is established.

Quoting: jstratfd61
Yah that could be true, my only thought would be they might want the already established elite FWD in Fiala over the potential of Holtz who may take a season or two. I do think MIN would have to add a bit more because they don't have much leverage with their cap space.

Love Fiala and don't disagree with the timeline thing but Holtz is something the Devils simply do not have and have been looking for for years (I mean, they drafted him over better players in my opinion for that reason). Just can't see them moving him for a player who is very similar to Nico/Bratt/Jack

Not to say they shouldn't try to get Fiala - they should. Just don't think Holtz/Mercer/2nd overall is the piece they move for him.
jstratfd61, Devil and CoolHandL liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
MNBassman
If Addison is involved, I would insist on NJ’s ‘22 2nd instead of the 3rd…and they still probably need to add. The argument MN has no leverage is false.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: CoolHandL
Yea, I figure that pair and Brodin-Dumba are interchangeable. Brodin-Dumba probably end up playing a little bit more.

Those were the pairs last year, Middleton and Spurge on the top line. Brodin and Dumba L2. I only assume that’s how they’ll at least start the season.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
Love Fiala and don't disagree with the timeline thing but Holtz is something the Devils simply do not have and have been looking for for years (I mean, they drafted him over better players in my opinion for that reason). Just can't see them moving him for a player who is very similar to Nico/Bratt/Jack

Not to say they shouldn't try to get Fiala - they should. Just don't think Holtz/Mercer/2nd overall is the piece they move for him.

Sounds like your bargain shopping. I doubt you get Fiala without including one of those 3 pieces. Yegor and a 2nd might get it done though. But not with Addison included.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Quoting: IcemanJoe
Sounds like your bargain shopping. I doubt you get Fiala without including one of those 3 pieces. Yegor and a 2nd might get it done though. But not with Addison included.

Yeah, the mark of a good GM is bargain shopping. If a bidding war for Fiala prices the Devils out, move on.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
Yeah, the mark of a good GM is bargain shopping. If a bidding war for Fiala prices the Devils out, move on.

It’s easy to say when it’s not your (or my) job on the line. GMs need to win. Owner hasn’t been to the playoffs in what 5 years? Fitz going on year 3 I think? So could start feeling the pressure. Sens for sure are feeling the heat, Dorian has to make a splash. That’s the biggest reason I see a bidding war for Fiala, lots of desperate teams out there in need of scoring.

If you’re bargain hunting for a PPG player, you are probably going to end up empty handed.
CoolHandL and MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
If Addison is involved, I would insist on NJ’s ‘22 2nd instead of the 3rd…and they still probably need to add. The argument MN has no leverage is false.

Yea I flip-flopped on whether to make it a 2nd or a 3rd. Went with 3rd because of the potential of Holtz.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
It’s easy to say when it’s not your (or my) job on the line. GMs need to win. Owner hasn’t been to the playoffs in what 5 years? Fitz going on year 3 I think? So could start feeling the pressure. Sens for sure are feeling the heat, Dorian has to make a splash. That’s the biggest reason I see a bidding war for Fiala, lots of desperate teams out there in need of scoring.

If you’re bargain hunting for a PPG player, you are probably going to end up empty handed.

Devils owners "Trust the Process". It's like their whole shtick lol

But yeah, I think the Devils will see what's going on with Fiala and the cap situation. If the price gets up to 2/Holtz/Mercer I'd bet they look at Puljujarvi/Boeser/Garland/UFA instead. Just an educated guess.

But Vrana, Reinhart, Buchnevich, Toews, ROR, Nichushkin. Good players can come on bargain deals. Good GMs can find them.
IcemanJoe and CoolHandL liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Devils owners "Trust the Process". It's like their whole shtick lol

But yeah, I think the Devils will see what's going on with Fiala and the cap situation. If the price gets up to 2/Holtz/Mercer I'd bet they look at Puljujarvi/Boeser/Garland/UFA instead. Just an educated guess.

But Vrana, Reinhart, Buchnevich, Toews, ROR, Nichushkin. Good players can come on bargain deals. Good GMs can find them.

That’s a good process to follow, if they do then NJD will be set up for success for awhile.

That makes sense to me, NJDs are a fit for the player but not for the desire IMO. Or rather, based on what NJD fans have said.

I agree, I think they’re out there, I just don’t see Fiala being a bargain grab. BG is too stubborn to not get what he views as fair value for him. He’s held firm on his ask for Dumba for over 2 years.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
That’s a good process to follow, if they do then NJD will be set up for success for awhile.

That makes sense to me, NJDs are a fit for the player but not for the desire IMO. Or rather, based on what NJD fans have said.

I agree, I think they’re out there, I just don’t see Fiala being a bargain grab. BG is too stubborn to not get what he views as fair value for him. He’s held firm on his ask for Dumba for over 2 years.

depends on, as you said before, which teams are interested, which teams Fiala will extend with, and how desperate those teams are. Can easily see it being a good return. Can easily see it being a lesser one.
IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 1:49 p.m.
MartysBetter95
Why would NJ give up a similar player in the future there top prospect , while there are guys available in UFA...
Doesn't make sense, Fiala is going to end up staying unless he moves in the draft by getting paired up with a top pick.
Look for him to have a big year with his contract expiring.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
depends on, as you said before, which teams are interested, which teams Fiala will extend with, and how desperate those teams are. Can easily see it being a good return. Can easily see it being a lesser one.

From what I’ve understood about Fiala (mostly from what Russo has said) he wants to be loved by the team he’s on and get paid. So I don’t foresee any issue with him re-signing wherever he’s traded (extension in place before trade). I just don’t see it being a lesser return. If all BG gets is a 2nd round pick offer and a lesser prospect, I envision him holding Fiala and trading someone else for a similar lesser package. He’s not boxed in a corner with one player, he has options. BG is a stubborn man, Fiala is such a good talent, he knows he needs to get something big in return or it could look bad. Trading Dumba for say a 2nd or 3rd won’t look nearly as bad as giving Fiala away and him going on to put up 90+ point seasons.
CoolHandL liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
From what I’ve understood about Fiala (mostly from what Russo has said) he wants to be loved by the team he’s on and get paid. So I don’t foresee any issue with him re-signing wherever he’s traded (extension in place before trade). I just don’t see it being a lesser return. If all BG gets is a 2nd round pick offer and a lesser prospect, I envision him holding Fiala and trading someone else for a similar lesser package. He’s not boxed in a corner with one player, he has options. BG is a stubborn man, Fiala is such a good talent, he knows he needs to get something big in return or it could look bad. Trading Dumba for say a 2nd or 3rd won’t look nearly as bad as giving Fiala away and him going on to put up 90+ point seasons.

He should do that anyway.
IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
He should do that anyway.

I could not agree anymore. If it was my choice, I’d keep Fiala. The sense around MN though, is BG seems to think he’s gonna get
more for Fiala so that’s the piece he’ll move. I guess we’ll see.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
Quoting: mattmac1216
Why would NJ give up a similar player in the future there top prospect , while there are guys available in UFA...
Doesn't make sense, Fiala is going to end up staying unless he moves in the draft by getting paired up with a top pick.
Look for him to have a big year with his contract expiring.

UFA guys are expensive and don’t always workout with the new team. And there’s no guarantee Holtz ends up being as good as Fiala. It’s possible he’s more Yakupov than Fiala. Not all prospects reach their potential. That’s why you trade a potential asset for a known asset.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
MartysBetter95
UFA guys are expensive and don’t always workout with the new team. And there’s no guarantee Holtz ends up being as good as Fiala. It’s possible he’s more Yakupov than Fiala. Not all prospects reach their potential. That’s why you trade a potential asset for a known asset.

Your right but Fiala had one 50+ point season, its also not a sure thing he does it again on a new team that has its fair share of flaws. To me personally not worth what we would have to give up.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: mattmac1216
Your right but Fiala had one 50+ point season, its also not a sure thing he does it again on a new team that has its fair share of flaws. To me personally not worth what we would have to give up.

That’s fine, that’s your opinion. My opinion is that he’ll be a 100+ point guy with legitimate linemates. The dudes talent level is off the charts and always played with lesser skilled players. It took a skilled rookie to let him get to a 100 point season pace, and that was with a much less skilled C.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll