SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Colorado Avalanche signed Alexandar Georgiev (3 Years / $3,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 10, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
Too much AAV for Georgiev has done.

3.4M for a 1B goalie who was an RFA...
Jul. 11, 2022 at 8:34 a.m.
This seems a little rich given his spotty track record, but Goalies are voodoo.

People are hesitant to ever criticize anything Sakic does as GM, and between a cup win and winning GM of the year, there isn't an argument that he doesn't know what he's doing, but that doesn't mean he never overpays or makes a mistake, it just means his positive moves far outweigh his negative ones.

Last year, the Avs paid a big price for 1 year of Keumper, and while he had a great regular season, injuries were again an issue, and he was not overly effective in the playoffs. Now the Avs parted with more picks for a goalie who wasn't going to be qualified, who is coming off an awful season, and seems to be declining consistently, then gave him a pretty significant contract. It's a pretty big gamble. I know cap space is at a premium, but I honestly think getting an asset to take on 75% of Murray's remaining deal would actually be preferable than this.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Jul. 11, 2022 at 8:59 a.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
...but that doesn't mean he never overpays or makes a mistake, it just means his positive moves far outweigh his negative ones.

This is an important point. I think this is a rare mistake for Sakic and even if Georgiev bounces back, it is still an overpayment which will make finding other pieces harder.
Jul. 11, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
This is an important point. I think this is a rare mistake for Sakic and even if Georgiev bounces back, it is still an overpayment which will make finding other pieces harder.

I agree, but that being said, I don't think his mistakes or overpayments are massive. The team's window is now, they have the pieces to win multiple cups in a 3-4 year window here, and their best player (Makar) is a god send that is very much just entering his prime, and he has a great contract that will keep them competitive even when the roster is in decline. So there is logic to just overpaying to cover your short comings, I just think he went a little beyond a reasonable overpayment ( I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I do think when you are on the cusp like this, there is a reasonable amount you should be willing to overpay for specific needs).

Goaltending is so random, that I think Carolina actually really had a great approach. Find goalies who are clearly talented, have had success, but have fallen out of favor, and make low cost, low commitment bets. If you are a strong team, you can make it attractive to play behind and give a goalie a lot of room to operate. I don't think there are more than about 4-5 goalies in the entire NHL worth making a big cap hit commitment to with term, and I honestly think it's because the reality is after the top 7-8 goalies in the NHL, there isn't a lot of difference between goalies #9-#40, and those small variations in performance just look huge with the heightened expectations. Goalies are expected to be so good now, that the room for error is tiny. If you can't get a top guy, your primary objective should be keeping costs down, not trying to read the tea leaves of which middle of the pack guy is gonna turn into the next Vasy (hint, it's probably not whoever you guess).
Jul. 11, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
feelsbadman
rangers defense is trash he will be okay
Jul. 11, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
This seems a little rich given his spotty track record, but Goalies are voodoo.

People are hesitant to ever criticize anything Sakic does as GM, and between a cup win and winning GM of the year, there isn't an argument that he doesn't know what he's doing, but that doesn't mean he never overpays or makes a mistake, it just means his positive moves far outweigh his negative ones.

Last year, the Avs paid a big price for 1 year of Keumper, and while he had a great regular season, injuries were again an issue, and he was not overly effective in the playoffs. Now the Avs parted with more picks for a goalie who wasn't going to be qualified, who is coming off an awful season, and seems to be declining consistently, then gave him a pretty significant contract. It's a pretty big gamble. I know cap space is at a premium, but I honestly think getting an asset to take on 75% of Murray's remaining deal would actually be preferable than this.

you talk about injuries in kuemper, disregarding Murray is way more injury prone....So no Murray at 75% is not more preferable than Georgiev.
FXFRCnjXgAEuBoX?format=jpg&name=medium

He is quite good downlow and in tight...he has had issues with high danger slot shots. At a glance that tells you that team defensive issues in front of him and positioning have been hurting him. Better D and better Goalie coaching on positioning are easier fixes.

Its a risk but people are acting like Georgiev cant save a beach ball, not at all true
Jul. 12, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: coga16
you talk about injuries in kuemper, disregarding Murray is way more injury prone....So no Murray at 75% is not more preferable than Georgiev.
FXFRCnjXgAEuBoX?format=jpg&name=medium

He is quite good downlow and in tight...he has had issues with high danger slot shots. At a glance that tells you that team defensive issues in front of him and positioning have been hurting him. Better D and better Goalie coaching on positioning are easier fixes.

Its a risk but people are acting like Georgiev cant save a beach ball, not at all true

I am not disregarding the injury issues with Murray, I kind of just assume those, I am stating that I don't think there is a single goalie option out there that is very stable, all of them are bets on the best you hope they can be, with varying costs.

I like the idea of Murray over Georgiev assuming the return was as significant for taking Murray as it was for acquiring Georgiev. Basically, I think that both are massive risks, and I even think that Murray is a little more of a risk than Georgiev, but I liked how much you a premium was available to take that risk, and getting a cheaper term.

Murray would be a great target if a team got him for free while getting Ottawa to pay for a 3rd to to retain enough to get him on a cap hit starting with at $2M, or if you get significant assets you can do something else with, or even just restock the cupboards. But Toronto unfortunately got desperate and turned a good target and good bet into a goalie they got fixated on, and let Ottawa fleece them.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit