Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs new roster

Created by: palhal
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 11, 2022
Published: Jul. 11, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Doesn't it seem crazy that Leafs trade out of the first round so they can rid themselves of 3.8m X 2 years Mrzarek. Then they go crazy getting no better goalie at 4.7m X 2 Murray. Surely, Shirley, 99% of CapFriendly members could have done better for the Leafs on the ice and with their cap.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
TOR
NJD
    Leafs lose Sandin to an offer sheet, because there is no cap to keep Sandin
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$82,461,450$212,500$0$38,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $834,167$834,167
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,687,500$4,687,500
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    I cannot believe Dubas just did that. He 100% needs to be fired if they don’t win at least one round next off season, the bar might need to be higher now.
    palhal and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: Saskleaf
    I cannot believe Dubas just did that. He 100% needs to be fired if they don’t win at least one round next off season, the bar might need to be higher now.

Let's see how the roster stacks up to 21/22
    Goal. Murray not Campbell
    Defence. No Sandin....I assume it will be a cheap offer sheet the Leafs can't match
    Wing. No 23 goal Mikheyev, no Kase.

Leafs seem to definitely worse on paper.

You have to understand business. Who will fire Dubas? Shanahan is President, but he is Missing in Action when it comes to trades, and contract negotiations. Leafs have among the highest paid executives, I just wonder at time if they have a concept of the cap and player value.
    Until the owners....the corporate Rogers and Bell decides they want the change, this regime stays in place.
    I thought the lazy incompetent, no clue, massive amount of executives and their pay, Brian Burke had in his tenure was the worse. (and it still is) but gosh Shanahan, Dubas and friends are trying to match it.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    Quoting: palhal
    Let's see how the roster stacks up to 21/22
    Goal. Murray not Campbell
    Defence. No Sandin....I assume it will be a cheap offer sheet the Leafs can't match
    Wing. No 23 goal Mikheyev, no Kase.

Leafs seem to definitely worse on paper.

You have to understand business. Who will fire Dubas? Shanahan is President, but he is Missing in Action when it comes to trades, and contract negotiations. Leafs have among the highest paid executives, I just wonder at time if they have a concept of the cap and player value.
    Until the owners....the corporate Rogers and Bell decides they want the change, this regime stays in place.
    I thought the lazy incompetent, no clue, massive amount of executives and their pay, Brian Burke had in his tenure was the worse. (and it still is) but gosh Shanahan, Dubas and friends are trying to match it.

I think the leafs will make a few more additions. Another goalie for one. And I think they add a few depth forwards.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I think the leafs will make a few more additions. Another goalie for one. And I think they add a few depth forwards.

Well with the cap left....you're just talking about inexpensive players, and you have to really lucky for them to play well above their contract. No, the Leafs don't have cap for depth forwards or an more expensive goalie.
    They will go with a roster 13 forwards and they will all play. So they better be NHL good.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:17 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    Well with the cap left....you're just talking about inexpensive players, and you have to really lucky for them to play well above their contract. No, the Leafs don't have cap for depth forwards or an more expensive goalie.
    They will go with a roster 13 forwards and they will all play. So they better be NHL good.

You always seem to underestimate the amount of cap space the leafs have. Trading Kerfoot and Holl would clear up 5.5 mil. One of those players (or both) are basically guaranteed to be traded now. They can still keep Sandin and add say a 2 mil goalie, and a couple depth forwards.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    You always seem to underestimate the amount of cap space the leafs have. Trading Kerfoot and Holl would clear up 5.5 mil. One of those players (or both) are basically guaranteed to be traded now. They can still keep Sandin and add say a 2 mil goalie, and a couple depth forwards.

Here we go again. What is Kerfoot worth right now, if the Leafs don't take any cap back. And surely the Leafs can't fill his value on the ice with a cheaper forward.....so they will be worse
    Again who will pay assets for Holl, just so the Leafs can sign a better Dman at a cheaper price.
    Trading Kerfoot and Holl don't really clear 5.5m. You have to replace those two players, and if you were change them for equal value on the ice....how much are you really saving? Not much
    This could have been avoided with one trade....but Nylander seems to be an untouchable.
    OldNYIfan and Saskleaf liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:35 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too

True, but that's mostly window dressing. Having a good backup goalie won't mean much if he makes a lot of appearances in the middle of games in relief, or if you lose a lot of one-goal games. And depth players of the sort you'll have room for are different from the guys like Barclay Goodrow and Artturi Lehtonen and Brandon Hagel who prove to be so valuable in the playoffs.
    Saskleaf liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:59 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    Here we go again. What is Kerfoot worth right now, if the Leafs don't take any cap back. And surely the Leafs can't fill his value on the ice with a cheaper forward.....so they will be worse
    Again who will pay assets for Holl, just so the Leafs can sign a better Dman at a cheaper price.
    Trading Kerfoot and Holl don't really clear 5.5m. You have to replace those two players, and if you were change them for equal value on the ice....how much are you really saving? Not much
    This could have been avoided with one trade....but Nylander seems to be an untouchable.

Quoting: OldNYIfan
    True, but that's mostly window dressing. Having a good backup goalie won't mean much if he makes a lot of appearances in the middle of games in relief, or if you lose a lot of one-goal games. And depth players of the sort you'll have room for are different from the guys like Barclay Goodrow and Artturi Lehtonen and Brandon Hagel who prove to be so valuable in the playoffs.

Kerfoot is all fine and dandy, don’t get me wrong, but he’s not a fit on the leafs. He’s a better winger than centre and he doesn’t seem to work well with Nylander and Tavares. By trading Kerfoot you will probably be able to get 2 player at around 2 mil to replace his production, and picks.

And as for Holl, he’s nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy, but I still think if the leafs want to move him, they will be able to. Don’t really care about what they get for him.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 10:50 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Kerfoot is all fine and dandy, don’t get me wrong, but he’s not a fit on the leafs. He’s a better winger than centre and he doesn’t seem to work well with Nylander and Tavares. By trading Kerfoot you will probably be able to get 2 player at around 2 mil to replace his production, and picks.

And as for Holl, he’s nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy, but I still think if the leafs want to move him, they will be able to. Don’t really care about what they get for him.

I don't understand that logic....it seems to just wishful thinking. So you believe somehow, the Leafs can find a 2m player to replace 3.5m Kerfoot's production and get picks too? That defies all logistics.
    OK, so the Leafs can trade Holl, but can they find a 2m Dman better? If so, why doesn't the team that you want trading for Holl, just sign this Dman who as good or better than for themselves
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    I don't understand that logic....it seems to just wishful thinking. So you believe somehow, the Leafs can find a 2m player to replace 3.5m Kerfoot's production and get picks too? That defies all logistics.
    OK, so the Leafs can trade Holl, but can they find a 2m Dman better? If so, why doesn't the team that you want trading for Holl, just sign this Dman who as good or better than for themselves

I said 2 players. Not sure how they defies logic. The leafs did it with Hyman last year.

As for Holl, another 2 mil defenseman will be similar but probably slightly better. Another team might acquire him because they can’t sign a player.
    Jul. 11, 2022 at 11:01 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I said 2 players. Not sure how they defies logic. The leafs did it with Hyman last year.

As for Holl, another 2 mil defenseman will be similar but probably slightly better. Another team might acquire him because they can’t sign a player.

Kerfoot was the Leafs 6th highest scoring forward, despite limited PP time and had the fourth highest plus minus among forwards. Again I'm, welcome to any suggestions how the Leafs get better without him, though I agree you might be traded.
    Saskleaf liked this.
    Jul. 12, 2022 at 12:06 a.m.
    Go leafs go
    Kerfoot was the Leafs 6th highest scoring forward, despite limited PP time and had the fourth highest plus minus among forwards. Again I'm, welcome to any suggestions how the Leafs get better without him, though I agree you might be traded.

If they sign 2 player for around 2 mil each, these guys could probably put up the same production as Kerfoot. With the amount of talent not getting qualified, frankly that would be fairly easy.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll