Forums/Armchair-GM

If you're tired of seeing Scuderi traded don't click

Created by: DD67
Team: 2015-16 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2015
Published: Aug. 20, 2015
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now that there's only one anchor weighing down this boat it's predictable that people get rid of it.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Carrier, William
  2. Foligno, Marcus
  3. Weber, Mike
Additional Details:
2016 6th round pick
BUF
  1. Jarry, Tristan
  2. Kunitz, Chris
  3. Scuderi, Rob
Additional Details:
2016 4th round pick
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$71,400,000$69,958,334$0$3,532,500$1,441,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 10
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$3,812,500$3,812,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,875,000$1,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$655,000$655,000 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
UFA - 1
$600,000$600,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$833,334$833,334
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 20, 2015 at 12:25 p.m.
Banned
What do people think NTC means?
Aug. 20, 2015 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: PensPlz

neither has a full NTC
DD67 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 1:24 p.m.
. Players waive their NTC all the time. It gives the player an option. If I'm GMJR and I give him a choice between playing in Buffalo or playing in the AHL, I'm betting he goes to Buffalo.

Also, you knew full well what you'd see before you clicked the link. So don't come here and act surprised that he got traded.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 2:20 p.m.
I have zero problem with people trading Scuds. It's the point of being a Armchair GM. The only thing that gets annoying (as a fellow hockey fan who likes reading other posters trade ideas) is the value some of you think he has. Or that by combining him with other assets somehow makes it ok?

Why would Buffalo want to take on one of the worst players/contracts in the league? Just to get Kunitz? I like Kunitz but jeez nobody wants him that badly. Coincidently, your trade isn't that far off if you just remove Scuds and the 6th that Buff gives Pitt.

Now I realize the whole friggin point is to get rid of him right? Okay, I'll give 5 options that are actually plausible for a number of reasons. Once again, these aren't fun trades. Your not exactly happy about it but it at least it makes a little sense for both teams and slightly shifts value to an area the team receiving could actually use.

Scuds + 6th 2016 for Bryan Bickell. Bickell is the better player but slightly more expensive so add a draft pick.
Scuds 750K retained for Colin Greening. Greening is cheaper but has at least equal value to Scuds. So you have to add a
Scuds + 6th 2016 for R.J Umberger 1M retained. Umberger is a better player but his salary is worse then Scuds is. So they retain salary and Pitt throws in a pick.
Scuds + 3rd 2016 for Matthew Carle 500k retained. Carle is still a decent defensemen. He's not worth 5.5M anymore but at least he can be in your top 4 D and still be decent. TB retains some salary but is losing more total salary long term and Pitt gains more salary but gets a much better player to replace Scuds. T.B gets closer to resigning Stamkos. Pitt actually gets better with this trade.
Scuds + 3rd 2016 for Joffrey Lupul. 500K retained. Same as above explanation. Lupul is still a good player but is just overpaid. T.O retains salary but loses overall salary long term. Pitt gets a still overpaid top 6 forward but replaces Scuds who could potentially not even be in the team's top 6 defensemen. 5M of something you can actually use or 3.3M of something you can barely use? Pick your poison.
DD67 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I have zero problem with people trading Scuds. It's the point of being a Armchair GM. The only thing that gets annoying (as a fellow hockey fan who likes reading other posters trade ideas) is the value some of you think he has. Or that by combining him with other assets somehow makes it ok?

Why would Buffalo want to take on one of the worst players/contracts in the league? Just to get Kunitz? I like Kunitz but jeez nobody wants him that badly. Coincidently, your trade isn't that far off if you just remove Scuds and the 6th that Buff gives Pitt.

Kunitz is the draw yes. Jarry for Carrier is swapping prospects unlikely to play for their current teams but more likely to play for their new teams. That's a wash. Foligno is the replacement for Kunitz. But obviously that's not a fair trade straight up. That leaves us with Scuderi for Weber.

Both are awful players. If Pit sent Scuderi at 50% retained, Buffalo would be adding $1.7 to their cap. And they'd have both of these terrible players on their roster. So instead I figured Pit would take back Weber. Buffalo is no worse off talent wise (could argue better but that's seeing which midget is tallest) but worse off salary wise to the tune of $1.7m. Which again is the same as a half off Scuderi. That's only for year one as Weber's deal expires, so the draft pick swap was meant to compensate for year two.

Does that more than offset the value of Kunitz for Foligno? I think not. If you want to discuss it I'm all for that. That's the whole point of these Armchair GMs right? You've offered a series of very fair alternative trades. The problem I see with them is it doesn't solve the Pen's biggest need IMO, a second pairing RH defender.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Edited Aug. 21, 2015 at 9:40 p.m. by Banks
Quoting: DD67
. Players waive their NTC all the time. It gives the player an option. If I'm GMJR and I give him a choice between playing in Buffalo or playing in the AHL, I'm betting he goes to Buffalo.

Also, you knew full well what you'd see before you clicked the link. So don't come here and act surprised that he got traded.

Because the option to threaten to send to the AHL worked so well when he declined the trade to Toronto and we had to send Spaling as a cap dump instead for the Kessel deal shakes head

No one wants Kunitz or Scuds. No body. They have zero value. None. They don't do anything for teams but cost money and contribute nothing for the team's marketing. No one will buy a New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres or Arizona Coyotes Kunitz or Scuderi $15 player t-shirt. They literally operate on a loss and Tristan fucking Jarry isn't a big enough bribe. He'll never play in the NHL. He will not make up the losses of having Scuds and Kunitz on the roster. Kunitz and Scuds aren't going to help a young team win later, either. Their "experience" is worthless.

The only deal I've seen make any ***ing sense is Bickell for Scuds.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 4:20 p.m.
Edited Aug. 21, 2015 at 9:40 p.m. by Banks

Because the option to threaten to send to the AHL worked so well when he declined the trade to Toronto and we had to send Spaling as a cap dump instead for the Kessel deal shakes head

Oh so you were in the room and heard that happened? You mean Toronto was willing to take a player with no value but Scuderi vetoed it and forced them to trade the highly regarded Nick Spalling instead?

No one wants Kunitz or Scuds. No body. They have zero value. None. They don't do anything for teams but cost money and contribute nothing for the team's marketing. No one will buy a New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres or Arizona Coyotes Kunitz or Scuderi $15 player t-shirt. They literally operate on a loss and Tristan fucking Jarry isn't a big enough bribe. He'll never play in the NHL. He will not make up the losses of having Scuds and Kunitz on the roster. Kunitz and Scuds aren't going to help a young team win later, either. Their "experience" is worthless.

The only deal I've seen make any ****ing sense is Bickell for Scuds.

Wait so Toronto wanted him in the Kessel deal but now he's worthless? Which one is it? Make up your mind.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
We're like drugs addicts...We see the Pens logo, are told, "not to click" but still do. The temptation is too great. Your post is an Armchair GM trifecta. Trade Scuder, trade Kunitz.....yea.... save salary cap and then waste it by signing Franson.
DD67 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 5:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

DD. Scuderi was probably offered to the Leafs and they might have taken him except for the second year of his contract at 3.875m a year. Spaling was a cap dump by Pittsburg of 2.2m for one year, as they replaced him with .8m Cullen. So both sides were OK with it. The Kessell trade was basically a cap dump by the Leafs of 6.8m a year for 7 years. Leafs received Pittsburg 1 & 3 rounders and Kaapenen for Kessel and 2nd rounder. Hardly fair value for a potential star, but Kessell wasn't going to be a great player in Toronto. So both sides were happy. If Kessell though continues to play as lazy as he did for long stretches as Leaf, Jimmy Rutherford better not be walking over any bridges in Pittsburg with Pens fans.

Oh so you were in the room and heard that happened? You mean Toronto was willing to take a player with no value but Scuderi vetoed it and forced them to trade the highly regarded Nick Spalling instead?

No one wants Kunitz or Scuds. No body. They have zero value. None. They don't do anything for teams but cost money and contribute nothing for the team's marketing. No one will buy a New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres or Arizona Coyotes Kunitz or Scuderi $15 player t-shirt. They literally operate on a loss and Tristan fucking Jarry isn't a big enough bribe. He'll never play in the NHL. He will not make up the losses of having Scuds and Kunitz on the roster. Kunitz and Scuds aren't going to help a young team win later, either. Their "experience" is worthless. Stop living in fantasy land where you can just ship these players off and then continue to make your team how you want, and then call it realistic.

The only deal I've seen make any fucking sense is Bickell for Scuds.

Wait so Toronto wanted him in the Kessel deal but now he's worthless? Which one is it? Make up your mind.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 5:41 p.m.
Banned
It's highly speculated through credible media outlets that Scuds used his NTC to block a deal to go to Toronto as a cap dump for Kessel. This is rumored to what have caused the scramble and meeting after the draft. It would have been Scuds, Kap, Harrington and our 1st for Kessel at full price. When Scuds said no, they have to re-negotiate sending Spaling instead and then Toronto retaining salary to make up the difference.

Tornoto was willing to take Scuds and then probably buy him out immediately because Toronto isn't a small market team. They are big market team that is rebuilding. They can take the financial hit for the futures we gave them, unlike a fucking team like Arizona who is speculated to being relocated almost every year. Buffalo is bigger market team, but they are pushing for a playoff birth this year, not a rebuild. They would NOT want Scuds under any circumstances.

Please. This isn't that hard to comprehend.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 5:52 p.m.
It's highly speculated through credible media outlets that Scuds used his NTC to block a deal to go to Toronto as a cap dump for Kessel. This is rumored to what have caused the scramble and meeting after the draft. It would have been Scuds, Kap, Harrington and our 1st for Kessel at full price. When Scuds said no, they have to re-negotiate sending Spaling instead and then Toronto retaining salary to make up the difference.

Tornoto was willing to take Scuds and then probably buy him out immediately because Toronto isn't a small market team. They are big market team that is rebuilding. They can take the financial hit for the futures we gave them, unlike a fucking team like Arizona who is speculated to being relocated almost every year. Buffalo is bigger market team, but they are pushing for a playoff birth this year, not a rebuild. They would NOT want Scuds under any circumstances.

Please. This isn't that hard to comprehend.

Then it shouldn't be hard for you to cite reports that verify your claim. Because I haven't seen anything like that from DK, Pensburgh, and even Hockeybuzz.

Not once is Arizona mentioned in this thread. Reading is fundamental.

Buffalo is owned by an owner with deep pockets and no aversion to spending money. They might be small market but they're not broke like Arizona, Florida, and Carolina. Their coach knows these players and values them. Scuderi lives there in the off season. I didn't select Buffalo for no reason other than they have cap space.

Look at the trade again. How much worse is Scuderi than Wilson? You may not like it but you can't say Buffalo is worse off after this deal.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 6:52 p.m.
DD67,

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/07/01/phil-kessel-trade-gives-maple-leafs-picks-assets-for-rebuild.html

Mid page.

"The deal was worked on at the draft. But given Kessel was due a $4-million bonus July 1, it was decided to hold off so deep-pocketed Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment could pay that. The Leafs were also forced to retain $1.2 million annually of Kessel’s salary when two players who were to come to the Leafs in Penguin salary dumps — Chris Kunitz and Rob Scuderi — declined to waive their no-trade clauses."

Not picking sides here just showing what I found clicking the first link in a google search of "Scuderi NTC Leafs".

Anyways it doesn't matter in the end, make the trade however you envision it. It's a free site for anyone to do what they want as GM. By that same token, don't post a team with a trade that most "Non Pens fans" agree isn't fair for one side AND not expect someone to comment on it. If I see an unrealistic trade, I will tell that person. Not for some sick way of making myself sound like a hockey genius, simply passing my opinion on to those willing to listen and then decide for themselves if it still makes sense or not.
PensPlz and DD67 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2015 at 7:57 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
DD67,

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/07/01/phil-kessel-trade-gives-maple-leafs-picks-assets-for-rebuild.html

Mid page.

"The deal was worked on at the draft. But given Kessel was due a $4-million bonus July 1, it was decided to hold off so deep-pocketed Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment could pay that. The Leafs were also forced to retain $1.2 million annually of Kessel’s salary when two players who were to come to the Leafs in Penguin salary dumps — Chris Kunitz and Rob Scuderi — declined to waive their no-trade clauses."

Not picking sides here just showing what I found clicking the first link in a google search of "Scuderi NTC Leafs".

Anyways it doesn't matter in the end, make the trade however you envision it. It's a free site for anyone to do what they want as GM. By that same token, don't post a team with a trade that most "Non Pens fans" agree isn't fair for one side AND not expect someone to comment on it. If I see an unrealistic trade, I will tell that person. Not for some sick way of making myself sound like a hockey genius, simply passing my opinion on to those willing to listen and then decide for themselves if it still makes sense or not.

I don't mind criticism. I hope that's come across in the discussions we've had. Your comments don't come across as needing to be "a Hockey genius". So let's take it all as being respectful and keep going.

I'm mildly confused as you called this deal close at first and now it's labeled " unrealistic ". I'm not trying to deal them for Ovechkin or half the Ducks' roster the way I've seen others do. As long as we all keep talking about it reasonably I'm open to criticism.

Now on to the Star report. I'm not going to put this in the same realm as Hockey Press. All I'm saying is this board doesn't have Kunitz with a NTC. Somebody is in error.
Aug. 21, 2015 at 1:36 a.m.
Banned

DD67 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2015 at 1:42 p.m.

Thank you!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll